Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Wall-E outsells Bioshock..or why movie games suck

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-09, 07:22 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wall-E outsells Bioshock..or why movie games suck

From what I can tell from VGChartz, Wall-E has sold over 4 million copies across all systems, while Bioshock has sold about 2.7 million, 360 and PS3 combined.

I know that Wall-E also came out on the PS2, Wii and DS, and there are additional costs to bringing a game out on more systems, but you have to admit that this is a little disheartening. If you make games, why spend the time and money that it takes to make a Bioshock, when a Wall-E can sell almost twice as much? I am almost sure that the additional costs they paid to Disney to make the game was less than what it cost to make Bioshock.

I also know that this game is for kids, but even children deserve better than that. Other games sales across all systems...all systems added up except PC, and on games like Fallout 3 I am sure PC sales are strong.

Fallout 3....3.97 million
Mass Effect 2.08 million
Rainbow Six Vegas...2.4 million
Street Fighter 4...2.5 million
Far Cry 2...2.39 million
FEAR 2.....0.65 million

Now some Movie games.

CARS- 5 million
Harry Potter Chamber -6 million
Kung Fu Panda-Almost 6 million
Shrek 2 3.5 million
Old 09-09-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Wall-E outsells Bioshock..or why movie games suck

There isn't much to this to me. Those movie games come out on every system, and since they sell so many as it is, having them out on every single system just makes it that much more likely that the numbers will be much higher than the games only on one or two systems.

I mean, it sucks in theory, but that's just the way it is.
Old 09-09-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

If you look at how many people bought Wall-E to play themselves, the number would be a tiny fraction of its actual sales. The companies make games like Wall-E, Shrek and Cars because they know parents will buy them for their young kids. If that's all they made, there'd be a huge untapped market, hence they also make games for adults that buy games for themselves. I don't find it too worrisome.
Old 09-09-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also how long if ever was Wall-E $60 so I would be more interested to see the actual dollar amount as opposed to units.
Old 09-09-09, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

God knows that almost all of us have received tons of those crappy games as gifts. As mentioned before, a lot of the times they're cheaper making it more likely someone will buy it as a gift if they don't know any better. That has a ton to do with it also.
Old 09-09-09, 08:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Kung Fu Panda was also a 360 pack-in for a while. I assume those number count (since it does for Wii Sports).
Old 09-09-09, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I received Kung Fu Panda with my Elite. It was surprisingly fun and well made. Reminded me of the classic snes/genesis disney games. Some of these games aren't that bad.
Old 09-09-09, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

chris_sc77?

Seriously, though. Wall-E was on every system known to man. Bioshock was on 2 systems. I'd say Bioshock is the perfect example of why gaming companies should spend money on quality, unique games. If you do it right, it sells a buttload.
Old 09-09-09, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mhg83
I received Kung Fu Panda with my Elite. It was surprisingly fun and well made. Reminded me of the classic snes/genesis disney games. Some of these games aren't that bad.
I have actually been told the exact same thing about Kung Fu Panda. If I ever see that one cheap enough I think I'd actually buy it to see for myself. It got pretty darn good reviews for what it is. I loved those old SNES/Genesis Disney games.
Old 09-09-09, 09:21 PM
gamer for life

That's just it though, a game like Bioshock will never come out on every system. It can't and still be the same game, or the same type of game. With a low budget Wall-E they have the OPTION to put it out on every system. In the long run, by making a crap game, it is easier to put out on every system. If they put the effort into it like a Fallout 3, they would need a separate development team, and more money.

I am not arguing why they sell more, I understand why, it is just sort of sad.

FEAR 2 was a much better game than just about every movie game I can think of, and its sales are bad. Terminator Salvation just came out 3 months ago, and it already has sold about 70% of what FEAR 2 has.
Old 09-09-09, 09:51 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think for an original IP to sell over 2 million copies at $60 a pop is a pretty great achievement.
Old 09-09-09, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Look on the bright side, these games are cheap to make and sell a ton, thus giving the studios funding to try a risky project.

Besides, what is the big deal anyways? It's not like Wall-E or Harry Potter took away sales from Bio-Shock. Bio is a very mature game, while the movie tie-in games are for children. Who cares how many copies they sell?
Old 09-09-09, 10:06 PM
gamer for life

I guess after playing Batman (great game, though not really a movie game) and then playing Terminator Salvation(ugh) I sort of wish movie games would give a bit more. Most of the games I put up are based on cartoons, but its not like live action movie games have done much better.
Old 09-09-09, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by foxdvd
From what I can tell from VGChartz...
That's probably your first mistake. In the event that, like a blind squirrel finding a nut, they've stumbled across correct numbers, though...

- Bioshock was exclusive to one console for a year (and sales are never good when even the best game finally shows up on system #2 at such a late date)

- The installed base of that console was far smaller for Bioshock than the combined install bases for every machine Wall-E hit

- Wall-E had a cheaper price, and faced less child-targeted competition than Bioshock had to deal with for its potential customers

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Look on the bright side, these games are cheap to make and sell a ton, thus giving the studios funding to try a risky project.
And this. There are plenty of small companies who have to put together a string of these seemingly cheesy, licensed efforts in order to have the funding to eventually go for it and create the game they want to make.
Old 09-10-09, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
chris_sc77?
These games suck because they're not rated M, and they don't take 20 hours or more to complete.

I agree that this doesn't tell the whole story when you don't have the PC numbers. Some of those games probably did well, for PC games.

As for SFIV (which had its PC version later), fighting games have become kind of a niche anyway. They have a dedicated following, but it's just not that big. The downturn in arcades has hurt them. Soul Calibur has to resort to gimmicks like adding Star Wars characters to sell more copies.
Old 09-10-09, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought the PC version of Bioshock.

We also have the Wii version of Wall-E, I think it was a gift from an uncle for my daughter. I remember seeing her playing it and it looked like an average platformer, not bad, not good.
Old 09-10-09, 01:08 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Completely different target audience.
Old 09-10-09, 01:52 PM

Why does this surprise you? Look at the movie industry. Most G rated movies have great box office returns as well. Movie tie in games follow the same logic. Parents want to get something age appropriate for the kids.
Old 09-10-09, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by CaptStormy
Why does this surprise you? Look at the movie industry. Most G rated movies have great box office returns as well. Movie tie in games follow the same logic. Parents want to get something age appropriate for the kids.
This. Also, the Harry Potter games are actually pretty good.
Old 09-10-09, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 2 copies of Cars for the 360. Both on clearance at Target for $10 and I used a $10 off 360 game coupon last year. So...
Old 09-10-09, 06:31 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by pinata242
I have 2 copies of Cars for the 360. Both on clearance at Target for $10 and I used a $10 off 360 game coupon last year. So...
Yeah, but I also picked up Call of Duty 4 for 19.99....as well as many games for 10 bucks that I would think are great games...(like the last Best Buy Sale)
Old 09-10-09, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
... so, Cars is twice as good as Bioshock?
Old 09-10-09, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

How is this disheartening? How much did the Wall-E license cost? The lame movie games and only-made-for-the-money sequels are what give some of these companies enough funds to bring out a bioshock or mass effect.

I do miss the era of good licensed games. Oh wait, hi Batman: Arkham Asylum.
Old 09-10-09, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
... so, Cars is twice as good as Bioshock?
I never bought Bioshock, so it is infinitely better. Double infinity even!

Originally Posted by fujishig
I do miss the era of good licensed games. Oh wait, hi Batman: Arkham Asylum.
Ghostbusters was pretty good too.
Old 09-10-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It seems like the licensed games are better when the movie (or other property) is not current. I think part of the problem is rushing to meet that date.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.