DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : BBC: The Future of Food

Superboy
09-08-09, 09:14 PM
For anyone that caught this 3-part documentary, it discussed how agribusiness is impacting the environment, the effects of financial markets on food prices in poor nations, how programs such as foodaid actually harm the very people they intend to help, and various adaptations to the lack of food supply in poor nations.

I found this documentary to be very balanced, although I could not stand the behavior and reactions of the host. He was pompous, arrogant, and totally insensitive to the plight of those in need. In several sections, he takes in the daily diet of residents of Cuba - who, if you don't know, live almost entirely off government rations. After yammering on about how first world nations consume too much and too high in the food chain, he reacts in an almost stereotypically liberal-hypocrite moment:

He whines.

If anything, this documentary is very, very informative about the state of food production today, as well as diets of those who live in poor countries. However, I did not find the opinions rendered to very thoughtful nor pragmatic. Furthermore, there was a giant twist when they accuse agribusiness of fueling global warming - that increased amounts of livestock and grain production are increasing worldwide temperature - these guys need a serious reality check.

I also did not like the constant demonization of first world diets. There's actually a segment where someone mentions that eating a steak takes food away from dozens of people in poor countries. How this is possible other than on a rhetorical basis is simply not true. There was also very little criticism of Cuba's food distribution and rationing policies, despite the almost textbook case of communism being the equal distribution of poverty.

jfoobar
09-08-09, 09:42 PM
Not to be confused with the 2004 American documentary of the same name.

Superboy
09-13-09, 03:01 AM
Not to be confused with the 2004 American documentary of the same name.

That was just as bad.

jfoobar
09-16-09, 10:55 PM
That was just as bad.

I was certainly unimpressed with it, but the new BBC one looks interesting from the trailer.

kvrdave
09-17-09, 06:43 PM
I also did not like the constant demonization of first world diets. There's actually a segment where someone mentions that eating a steak takes food away from dozens of people in poor countries. How this is possible other than on a rhetorical basis is simply not true. There was also very little criticism of Cuba's food distribution and rationing policies, despite the almost textbook case of communism being the equal distribution of poverty.

I always hate this reasoning. If we could send enough food to those countries to feed every one of them, they still wouldn't get it because of the warlords and the political situations. Clean that up, and they lay on the guild trip. But it isn't my steak that is keeping kids starving.

Superboy
09-17-09, 08:15 PM
I always hate this reasoning. If we could send enough food to those countries to feed every one of them, they still wouldn't get it because of the warlords and the political situations. Clean that up, and they lay on the guild trip. But it isn't my steak that is keeping kids starving.

There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING in this documentary about how modern farming techniques have dramatically increased crop yields, lowered costs, and improved nutrition. and I mean NOTHING.

Watch King Corn. It's a much better balanced movie. And they actually talk about how modern farming techniques really work.