Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Is CH GIVING AWAY closeout selections?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-09, 04:54 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is CH GIVING AWAY closeout selections?

I just ordered 15 copies of the below dvd on 3 orders (5 max per account) and also got free s/h from the spin the wheel promotion! It caught my eye that the price said FREE by it and thought "what the hell" let's see if they'll actually ship it. Sure enough all 3 orders have processed. Here's how it looks on my order:

NFL Chicago Bears: The Complete History
Full Screen
4133807 Standard Processed $0.00
Free with FunCash™

Now I'm going on the site again and see the same thing with the movie Altered States. What's odd is you can't find this or the Bears DVD when searching for it but after searching under Leviathan and looking under "people who bought this also purchased" it's right there and can be added for free to your cart. The other odd thing is these free movies cause the shopping cart processing to take FOREVER when checking out.

Does CH do this on purpose? Do they randomly pick certain titles and offer them for free? I don't even have any funcash and it's not affecting getting these for free!

I just pasted the below from my checkout page:

Altered States

Widescreen/Full Screen
Add Another

Move to Wish List

Remove
NOAH BROESSEL
Add Address | Edit Address $0.00 Free with FunCash
Subtotal:$0.00

Noah
Old 09-03-09, 05:01 AM
Cool New Member

Re: Is CH GIVING AWAY closeout selections?

Btw, I only ordered two of these because how much can "ALTERED STATES" go for on ebay anyways?

But the VERY COOL thing is NO shipping was charged even though I didn't put in a promo code!

Noah

Altered States

Widescreen/Full Screen
NOAH BROESSEL
$0.00 Free with FunCash™

Total Club Savings: $0.00
FunCash™ you'll earn with this order: $0.00
Subtotal:$0.00
Shipping and Processing:$0.00
Tax:$0.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total:$0.00
Old 09-03-09, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

noazrk, welcome to the forum!

Yes, most folks are aware of this "glitch" within CH's system. It's rare that this works out where you receive the DVDs in question, though it has happened before. It's been speculated that the only time it will "work" is on DVDs that CH would normally get back in stock. The fact that you can't find them when searching, probably means they've been dropped from the site and don't expect additional inventory to come in.

Regarding your purchasing the "max" number of DVDs as you indicated above, that's considered a bit of a "no-no" - first, because it just draws attention to the mistake on CH's part, making it more unlikely that you (or anyone else) would receive anything. Secondly, and most importantly for you, CH DVDs aren't to be purchased for resale. It's widely known here, though perhaps not explicitly stated in CH's terms, that you could find yourself banned/blacklisted if it's determined that's what you're doing. Buying 5 copies of any particular DVD is sure to throw up a red flag, whatever your intent is (though your ebay comment pretty much states it).
Old 09-03-09, 07:06 AM
Cool New Member

There's a 99.9% chance you won't get either of the films. What seems to happen is they basically sell out of a title but for some reason, it still appears in random places on the web site and shows up for free. If you get them, lucky you, but don't hold your breath, especially with old titles like these.
Old 09-03-09, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by noazrk
I just ordered 15 copies of the below dvd on 3 orders (5 max per account)
Ordering that many is just a red flag. If you had just ordered 2, you might have actually gotten away with it. I highly doubt you'll get any. I think they already pulled it (when I search Leviathan I don't see either of those titles)
Old 09-04-09, 06:48 PM
Suspended

15?!
Geez.I really hope that they don't cancel your membership and make it harder than hell for you to get another account open.
Old 09-05-09, 11:52 PM
Cool New Member

Yeah, me too! I doubt it since 2/3 memberships need to be fulfilled. I'll wait until I can get bogo Blu-Rays for each one (free shipping would be nice too).

All my orders still say processed but I don't have anything in hand yet so hopefully I'll get them on Tuesday.

I'll report back the final outcome for anyone who's curious....unless of course I get thrown in jail by CH and they throw away the key. When I get out in 2-3 years I'll have to work off the bad debt incurred by 24-36 monthly selections not rejected at full price + interest ;-)

Seriously though, I wonder how many convicts have full priced dvds stacking up in their PO Box! I suppose CH would nip it in the bud after 3-4 unpaid ones right?

Hell, there could be guys in jail with sealed VHS tapes waiting for them. $25 for a sealed VHS of Rush Hour will put a sour taste in anybody's mouth!

Noah

Last edited by noazrk; 09-05-09 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-06-09, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seriously though, I wonder how many convicts have full priced dvds stacking up in their PO Box!
Hell, there could be guys in jail with sealed VHS tapes waiting for them. $25 for a sealed VHS of Rush Hour will put a sour taste in anybody's mouth!
I've heard that it's more of a salty taste that jail puts in your mouth.
Old 09-06-09, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Yeah, me too! I doubt it since 2/3 memberships need to be fulfilled...
They've been known to close and blacklist unfulfilled accounts for "abuses". Multiple accounts at the same address ordering the max # of a single selection is most definitely a red flag.

All my orders still say processed but I don't have anything in hand yet so hopefully I'll get them on Tuesday.
That just means your CC has been "charged". The typical resolution on these "deals" is you'll get a card in the mail telling you the selection is no longer available and they are sorry for the inconvenience.