True Blood -- "Frenzy" -- 08/30/09

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-09, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
True Blood -- "Frenzy" -- 08/30/09

"Frenzy"
Spoiler:
With the crisis in Bon Temps careening out of control, Bill seeks out the advice of Sophie-Anne, the Vampire Queen of Louisiana, but must exercise patience before she gives him critical information. Meanwhile, Sookie and Lafayette find that protecting Tara from herself is more difficult than they anticipated; a desperate Sam turns to an unlikely source for assistance; and Jessica tests Hoyt’s allegiance to Maxine.

Originally Aired: August 30, 2009
Old 08-30-09, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: True Blood -- "Frenzy" -- 08/30/09

I hope the last few episodes can redeem this season to me. It really was a different beast from last year. Last year it was slow and built momentum until it became one of my favorite shows. This season started strong, dragged itself out in the middle and we will see how it ends. The Maryann stuff, while very interesting at first, really pulled this season down in my view. That and all the lovey dovey vamps. Surprised Godric didn't just sparkle in the daylight.

Godric really was one of the big disappointments too, watching him make Eric was great and I really thought we were going to have a badass vamp that was worthy of his own show, only to see a twilightified vamp-light. Perhaps it's just me and I am out of touch but I love vampire stories with actual blood thirsty killer vamps. Still holding out hope Eric becomes a big part of the story and we start seeing some ruthless killing.
Old 08-30-09, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by s}{ammer
I hope the last few episodes can redeem this season to me. It really was a different beast from last year. Last year it was slow and built momentum until it became one of my favorite shows. This season started strong, dragged itself out in the middle and we will see how it ends. The Maryann stuff, while very interesting at first, really pulled this season down in my view. That and all the lovey dovey vamps. Surprised Godric didn't just sparkle in the daylight.

Godric really was one of the big disappointments too, watching him make Eric was great and I really thought we were going to have a badass vamp that was worthy of his own show, only to see a twilightified vamp-light. Perhaps it's just me and I am out of touch but I love vampire stories with actual blood thirsty killer vamps. Still holding out hope Eric becomes a big part of the story and we start seeing some ruthless killing.
reading your post, and seeing you mention shit about twilight made me cringe! lol dont compare somethin amazing (true blood, obviously) to something thats complete garbage (twilight). if you read any of the books (ive actually read them all already), Godric wasnt a big character. However in the show he did blow-up (no pun intended) rather quickly. The maryann storyline, ill admit was getting boring for a bit, but now with sookie, bill and jason back in bon temps, its getting interesting again. the love stuff betwen jessica and hoyt was actually really entertaining to watch too.

in regards to eric becoming a big part of the story: again, i dont know if u read the books or not, but eventually his character does become more important to the story than he's been so far in the show. im hoping they continue to follow the important parts of the books.

cant wait to see tonights episode, and cant wait to see how they end the season in 2 weeks!
Old 08-30-09, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I've actually found this season more intriguing than last season, which didn't really kick in until about halfway through. I personally didn't care for the first ep. and since HBO was free the weekend it aired, I didn't bother retaining it. After seeing some of the later eps. when I was home for Thanksgiving, I realized it did turn into a great show.
I think that this season was strong when it focused on the whole ordeal in Dallas, especially Godric, for the small part he played. Whenever it went back to Bon Temps and the focus was on MaryAnn, not so much. Last week was a jolter though, and I hope it keeps going for the last two eps.
Spoiler:
I remember reading in an EW issue that Sophie-Anne will play a part in setting season 3 in motion, so I hope she isn't a flash in the pan character, provided Evan Rachel Wood can pull her off without coming across as corny.
Old 08-30-09, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Jason and Andy might be this series' answer to Ari and Lloyd. Their stuff was priceless.

Looks like the finale will be freaky. Sophie Ann was delightful, and I hope we see more of her. If Alan Ball keeps the trend going,
Spoiler:
then she will most likely be the big bad for next season. Seems that once one baddie on the show bites the dust, another one is already in waiting.
Old 08-30-09, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was it just me or did Evan Rachel Wood act really, really bad? She was reading her lines like she was on stage.

Decent episode. I don't think I'm gonna like how this is going to end.

It also sucks that there's been no Maryann or Jessica nudity.
Old 08-30-09, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I think Jason and Andy might be this series' answer to Ari and Lloyd. Their stuff was priceless.

Looks like the finale will be freaky. Sophie Ann was delightful, and I hope we see more of her. If Alan Ball keeps the trend going,
Spoiler:
then she will most likely be the big bad for next season. Seems that once one baddie on the show bites the dust, another one is already in waiting.
Spoiler:
Nope, its Lorena.
Old 08-30-09, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gilgamesh1082
Spoiler:
Nope, its Lorena.
Spoiler:
Who was Lorena? A lot has happened on this season.

Nevermind, had to look them up on IMDB, plus I doubt they want to pay to have Evan Rachel Wood on regularly.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 08-30-09 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Bad memory
Old 08-30-09, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Good episode.

Took Marilyn Manson's ex-gf to finally reveal wtf is up with MaryAnn & Sam -- YAHTZEE!!! or even "To Tell the Truth" would have been a more appropriate title for this hour.

Eric in Mama Thornton's dress and his interaction with the 'teacups' were loads of fun.

to Andy and Jason in the truck, and his fascination with Sam's shapeshifting abilities. All those clues...Jason wondering if Sam can lay an egg, and Andy viewing that Dirty Jobs episode in the motel a few eps back were all foreshadowing that big Ostrich egg.
Old 08-30-09, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Was it just me or did Evan Rachel Wood act really, really bad? She was reading her lines like she was on stage.

Decent episode. I don't think I'm gonna like how this is going to end.

It also sucks that there's been no Maryann or Jessica nudity.
I agree, it seemed cheesy. Other than the Yahtzee line, loved that.

And the sign outside Fangtasia "Sorry, We're Dead"
Old 08-31-09, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Had it been established before that

Spoiler:
Vamps can fly? When Eric shot into the sky I let out a big "WTF!", but my girlfriend seemed to think we had seen that before.
Old 08-31-09, 08:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23

Spoiler:
Vamps can fly? When Eric shot into the sky I let out a big "WTF!", but my girlfriend seemed to think we had seen that before.
Caught me by surprise.
Old 08-31-09, 08:47 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Eric flying was intended to be a surprise. I'm not sure if it's something all vampires can do, or if it's something he's picked up because he's older.

Perhaps we can get some hilarious "Greatest American Hero" moments as Jessica attempts to learn flying.
Old 08-31-09, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Spoiler:
Not on TB it hadn't.

Spoiler protection from book info:

Spoiler:
My wife, who's read the books, said not all of them can. Bill is extremely fast but can't fly. They each have different powers. She did say it could be just because Bill is too young. She said it isn't discussed heavily in the books.

But I had the same reaction you did. Talk about holding the ace up the sleeve. Mofo can fly.
Old 08-31-09, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 354 Likes on 229 Posts

Spoiler:
Eric's flown in 2 previous episodes, but in a way that only people who knew he could fly would notice. In the first ep he's in, he and Pam look like they're gliding away. More recently, he flies UP to Lafayette's window in the ep where he gives him his blood. The way he pops up, that has to be the second story, so he's just kind of floating out there. In the books, it's his special talent--most vampires can't fly.
Old 08-31-09, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They showed Eric hover above the ground and take off in the first season, so him flying did not surprise me too much.

"Teacup humans".
Old 08-31-09, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It drove me crazy that Tara rushed back to Maryann's. Did you really not think she was going to mojo you again? Idiot.
Old 08-31-09, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When Eric left Lafayette's house a couple episodes ago, he announced his departure by saying, "I gotta fly." Hint, hint.
Old 08-31-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
It drove me crazy that Tara rushed back to Maryann's. Did you really not think she was going to mojo you again? Idiot.
Part of me thinks she wasn't completely cleared of Maryann's influence. She was still ripping into her friends like she wasn't.
Old 08-31-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I miss when this show was about vampires. It seems like Maryann and her black-eyed storyline have hijacked the show at this point. Unless this plotline wraps up in the finale, I think I'm out for next season.
Old 08-31-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wondered how come Sookie wasn't able to hear Tara's mom's thoughts and know she was going to turn the gun on them?

And I had no idea what Sookie was thinking going in to that house by herself.
Old 08-31-09, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I wondered how come Sookie wasn't able to hear Tara's mom's thoughts and know she was going to turn the gun on them?

And I had no idea what Sookie was thinking going in to that house by herself.
i think sookie was too distracted by how in-shock lafayette was.

i like how they tied in from last season when tara went to the voodoo lady and saw the black eyes for the first time. i was wondering if they were gonna connect those two together.

this episode had ALOT of funny moments: Sophie-Ann's comments, the conversations between sam and andy and eric almost trying to glamour the kids had me
Old 08-31-09, 04:17 PM

Thats the second time Sookie could have gotten a heads up before something bad happened. First at Godric's when the guy with the bomb strapped to his chest walked in. Jason saw him and said something to him, Soookie looked right at him . She could have picked up on something ... with that many vamps in the room , it's not like she would have had to keep her guard up .. come on with a little bit of a warning some vamp, as fast as they are, could have tossed the guy into the backyard ( or wherever) with little damage done to the house itself.

Makes me wonder just how far from the books they are going to go.

I did love the teacup humans comment too..

Last edited by draven31; 08-31-09 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-31-09, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
"Frenzy"
Spoiler:
With the crisis in Bon Temps careening out of control, Bill seeks out the advice of Sophie-Anne, the Vampire Queen of Louisiana, but must exercise patience before she gives him critical information. Meanwhile, Sookie and Lafayette find that protecting Tara from herself is more difficult than they anticipated; a desperate Sam turns to an unlikely source for assistance; and Jessica tests Hoyt’s allegiance to Maxine.

Originally Aired: August 30, 2009
This ep gotta be good.
Old 08-31-09, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought Bill flew in one of the first episodes where he saved Sookie from those hillbillies and he seemed to become invisible too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.