DVD Talk
TWEC (FYE/Suncoast) Trade in 2 Used DVDs Get 1 Blu-Ray for $5 [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : TWEC (FYE/Suncoast) Trade in 2 Used DVDs Get 1 Blu-Ray for $5

kenbenobi
08-27-09, 07:47 AM
At Suncoast, trade in any 2 used DVD's with a minimum trade in value of at least $1, and you can get any NEW $19.99 Blu-Ray for $5. There's a decent enough selection to make this a good deal. I traded in 2 worthless used titles and got Semi-Pro BD. I'm going to bring more in later.
Some of the titles offered (but there are MANY more):
Appaloosa
Golden Compass
Semi-Pro
Stir of Echoes
Hairspray
Hostel (Unrated)
Total Recall
First Blood
Fred Claus
Polar Express
I Am Legend
Swordfish
Blue Planet
Dirty Dancing

EDITED TO REMOVE FYE since FYE has not yet been confirmed to be offering this promotion...

ThePhantomGoat
08-27-09, 10:13 AM
I can't see them having too many decent blu rays that are $19.99

kenbenobi
08-27-09, 10:27 AM
I can't see them having too many decent blu rays that are $19.99
I thought it was a pretty good selection. The MSRP wasn't 19.99. It's just what they are selling them for... The only specific titles I remember are Appaloosa, Golden Compass, and Semi-Pro, but there were many to choose from. I remember those since I don't have them and was considering them. I quickly dismissed any title I already owned...

I look at it as a great way to get rid of a worthless used DVD. I'm not saying to trade in anything with a good trade-in value. You can look at the prices offered on secondspin.com. If it is worth $1 or $2, those are the titles I'm trading in...

Arthur Dent
08-27-09, 10:30 AM
I thought it was a pretty good selection. The MSRP wasn't 19.99. It's just what they are selling them for... The only specific titles I remember are Appaloosa, Golden Compass, and Semi-Pro, but there were many to choose from. I remember those since I don't have them and was considering them. I quickly dismissed any title I already owned...

I look at it as a great way to get rid of a worthless used DVD. I'm not saying to trade in anything with a good trade-in value. You can look at the prices offered on secondspin.com. If it is worth $1 or $2, those are the titles I'm trading in...
I'll likely be visiting my local mall later anyways, so I'll check this out. Thanks, kenbenobi.

RTorres481
08-27-09, 10:56 AM
kenbenobi,
Is the $5 Blu-Ray a used, or new, disc? My local FYE has a small selection of new discs. But their used section is pretty expansive.

Jfunk1
08-27-09, 11:22 AM
At Trans World stores (Suncoast/FYE), trade in any 2 used DVD's with a minimum trade in value of at least $1, and you can get any $19.99 Blu-Ray for $5. There's a decent enough selection to make this a good deal. I traded in 2 worthless used titles and got Semi-Pro BD. I'm going to bring more in later.

How did you hear about this deal for Suncoast/FYE? Is there a coupon I need to look for and bring into the store, or do they have a flyer advertising the deal in-store? Thanks!

IamLegend
08-27-09, 12:14 PM
I would defintely like to hear more about this promotion at various store locations..I am not close to one..but maybe worth the drive...

kenbenobi
08-27-09, 12:16 PM
kenbenobi,
Is the $5 Blu-Ray a used, or new, disc? My local FYE has a small selection of new discs. But their used section is pretty expansive.
The $5 BD is NEW. I'll update the first post to make that clear. Good point.

kenbenobi
08-27-09, 12:17 PM
How did you hear about this deal for Suncoast/FYE? Is there a coupon I need to look for and bring into the store, or do they have a flyer advertising the deal in-store? Thanks!
No coupon. Hopefully all of the stores are aware of this promotion. My store had a big sign up front. I saw it earlier in the week, and finally traded in 2 titles for a BD last night...

kenbenobi
08-27-09, 12:21 PM
I would defintely like to hear more about this promotion at various store locations..I am not close to one..but maybe worth the drive...
Before you drive, call your closest store to make sure they are aware of this promotion. And if so, check the trade-in values at secondspin.com before you make the trip. If the value is $1 or more, then those titles should be good for this promotion.

Jfunk1
08-27-09, 12:25 PM
Before you drive, call your closest store to make sure they are aware of this promotion. And if so, check the trade-in values at secondspin.com before you make the trip. If the value is $1 or more, then those titles should be good for this promotion.

I just called the FYE in Los Angeles (Baldwin Hills) that I always go to and asked if they are carrying this promotion. They said "No." Bummer...

gimmepilotwings
08-27-09, 01:12 PM
This is a nice promotion. I'll have to find out about it more.

vietduckboi
08-27-09, 01:13 PM
what kind of condition do the trade in DVDs have to be in?

Jfunk1
08-27-09, 01:52 PM
I called the other FYE in Los Angeles that I occasionally go to (Centinela), and they too said they are not honoring this promotion. Never even heard of it.

Arthur Dent
08-27-09, 02:58 PM
In my experience, second spin should only be used as a general guide. Usually, the FYE trade-in values are $0.50 or $1.00 less than second spin-- at least at the location nearest to me; not a big difference, but it could matter with this deal.

Quezacotl02
08-27-09, 03:02 PM
I just called FYE, and Suncoast in San Francisco,Ca. No go at either store! Bummer.

b2net
08-27-09, 05:16 PM
I just called as well... Can't say whether they are not doing it... or that the guy who answered didn't know or that he didn't have enough ambition to check....

kenbenobi
08-27-09, 06:00 PM
When I go back to my store, I'll see if they can give me more information. Perhaps they can give me a promo # to reference, or the date the email was sent to the store. It seems that all of their promotions are sent via email. So if a manager doesn't read their email, they don't know about the promo...

IJMSPORT
08-28-09, 12:52 PM
No go at the FYE in Torrance, CA.

IJMSPORT
08-28-09, 12:54 PM
Ditto at the Downey, CA store.

b2net
08-28-09, 04:21 PM
When I go back to my store, I'll see if they can give me more information. Perhaps they can give me a promo # to reference, or the date the email was sent to the store. It seems that all of their promotions are sent via email. So if a manager doesn't read their email, they don't know about the promo...

Looking forward to this one... :D

kenbenobi
08-28-09, 04:35 PM
Looking forward to this one... :D
I might go tonight, otherwise tomorrow for sure... I'm bringing more DVD's to trade in, and I'll ask them for specific details so hopefully you guys can all partake. I'm shocked that I'm the only person to find this deal so far...

b2net
08-28-09, 04:44 PM
I might go tonight, otherwise tomorrow for sure... I'm bringing more DVD's to trade in, and I'll ask them for specific details so hopefully you guys can all partake. I'm shocked that I'm the only person to find this deal so far...

I even called some stores that are 35ish miles away... and those folks did have ambition to ask their managers.... but alas... they said nope they never heard of it.. 1 place asked where I heard about it... I told them a person in Wisconsin.... ;)

kenbenobi
08-28-09, 04:45 PM
BTW, I just discovered this coupon online:
http://www.fye.com/moduleimages/138/bspcoupon08242009.jpg

b2net
08-28-09, 05:01 PM
That one will be great on an $12 or less item (about 25% off) especially if you are a backstage member.. I am hoping to find some of my wish list there next week so I can use this one...

http://www.fye.com/moduleimages/138/bspcoupon09012009.jpg

kenbenobi
08-28-09, 10:03 PM
I even called some stores that are 35ish miles away... and those folks did have ambition to ask their managers.... but alas... they said nope they never heard of it.. 1 place asked where I heard about it... I told them a person in Wisconsin.... ;)
I did go tonight, but the manager was off. The clerk working knew how to ring it up, but couldn't give me any details about the promo. But the huge white banner hanging up front looks like it has to be chainwide. There's no way this store had that printed on their own. I'll try calling tomorrow to get more details. If anyone else is ambitious and wants to call, the number is 414-423-1075. It's a Suncoast, but every time FYE has had a promotion, they have had the same one. I've never seen them differ on their Used promos before. I'm betting other stores either haven't received their sale banner yet, or the package is sitting in the back room and hasn't been opened yet.

I took Hairspray for my $5 trade-in title tonight. Once again, my mind is drawing a blank on most of the other titles. I recall Fred Claus, Polar Express, I Am Legend, Swordfish, Blue Planet, and many titles which I recently purchased from wbshop during their coupon stacking fiasco.

Surfinhank
08-28-09, 10:32 PM
No go at Burbank FYE. I'm guessing this is a promotion that got started a little early at some places, and hopefully it will make it's way around to all the stores eventually. It took my local store several weeks to get any of the recent 9.99 sale titles from Warner (Blow, 2001, Any Given Sunday, etc). And it took a month for them to actually display the titles on an endcap as actually being on sale.

My question is: is it new titles that they sell for 19.99 only? Or does it include titles that are 19.99 or less?

kenbenobi
08-29-09, 01:11 AM
My question is: is it new titles that they sell for 19.99 only? Or does it include titles that are 19.99 or less?
I'm not sure. They had a special display of around 100 titles, all were priced at 19.99. But she said there could be more if I searched through the regular racks. I don't know if they sell any BD's for less than 19.99 though...

drk_knight01
08-29-09, 11:37 PM
Suncoast @ the Westminster Mall was running the promo. They had a banner displayed in their windows. I didn't check all of the selection but there was only 20-30 titles available.

tofferman
08-30-09, 12:49 AM
Stopped in the Suncoast at Lloyd Center (Portland, OR) since they were running the promo. Traded in 12 dvds that I had previously priced at $1 each if traded-in at Secondspin.com. Ended up buying the following for $30 total: Stir of Echoes, Hairspray, Hostel (Unrated), Total Recall, First Blood and Dirty Dancing. Granted, several of these Lionsgate titles have been $10 for some time now, but seeing that trading in two $1 dvd's (which had no trade-in value otherwise), each blu-ray title comes out to be $7 each. Not a bad deal.

Other titles I can remember include Fred Clause, The Dark Knight, Fool's Gold, Devil's Rejects, The Brave One, Body Heat, American Psycho, First Blood 2 and 3...there's probably 10-20 more titles to choose from.

b2net
08-30-09, 01:15 AM
Wonder if this is a Suncoast offer only... and not FYE...

Dean Kousoulas
08-30-09, 09:14 PM
That one will be great on an $12 or less item (about 25% off) especially if you are a backstage member.. I am hoping to find some of my wish list there next week so I can use this one...

Where did this coupon come from? It says no photocopies but I wonder if they will still honor it if I printed off a couple? I am a BSP member.

b2net
08-30-09, 10:01 PM

Cardsfan111
08-30-09, 10:10 PM
Where did this coupon come from? It says no photocopies but I wonder if they will still honor it if I printed off a couple? I am a BSP member.

Dean, you should be getting these in your e-mail (you might want to make sure your e-mail address is linked with your BSP account). With that being the case, it shouldn't be anyproblem copying them or printing them from here since that's what you'd be doing anyway.

kenbenobi
08-31-09, 11:07 AM
I used one of the $3 coupons on Friday, and they tried to deny me because it says "no photocopies." But I printed it from the link, so the URL showed at the bottom of the page. I told them to check the URL themselves. Then they tried to say I couldn't use it on Used DVD's. It says "any purchase" and doesn't exclude Used, so I argued it until she gave in.

I don't understand why TWEC can't create a higher resolution coupon. They look like crap. The text is very hard to read, even when printed at the best resolution.

jigga6286
08-31-09, 12:23 PM
Has anyone determined if the offer in thread title is exclusive to Suncoast? Would be a shame if so..

Chris-K
08-31-09, 03:43 PM
None of the three fye bricks-and-mortar stores within 12 miles of where I live in northern NJ is participating ;-(

Quezacotl02
08-31-09, 03:54 PM
Checked again at Suncoast in San Francisco. Dude at the counter said he was just awaiting his Manager's approval, "Any day now." FYE was still clueless. I was able to use the 40% coupon today, not too shabby. Thanks!

Dean Kousoulas
08-31-09, 09:52 PM
I used one of the $3 coupons on Friday, and they tried to deny me because it says "no photocopies." But I printed it from the link, so the URL showed at the bottom of the page. I told them to check the URL themselves. Then they tried to say I couldn't use it on Used DVD's. It says "any purchase" and doesn't exclude Used, so I argued it until she gave in.

I don't understand why TWEC can't create a higher resolution coupon. They look like crap. The text is very hard to read, even when printed at the best resolution.

Thanks. I'll double check tomorrow to make sure they have my correct e-mail address. They know me pretty well over there, so I doubt they will give me any trouble with the coupons.

Sweet Baby James
09-01-09, 01:04 AM
^

I redeemed the $3 off coupon that I printed out at the Milford, CT location yesterday without incident. The cashier was a nice kid.:)

ksyblues
09-01-09, 03:41 AM
i think its just suncoast stores.checked wherehouse ,fye,suncoast the only ones to have it.and you have to pick the cheap warner bros titles we already have though.19.99 list or under.

kenbenobi
09-01-09, 07:48 AM
i think its just suncoast stores.checked wherehouse ,fye,suncoast the only ones to have it.and you have to pick the cheap warner bros titles we already have though.19.99 list or under.

They aren't all Warner (Hostel is Sony, for example, and there were many Lions Gate, but usually those are cheap titles). And it is the titles THEY sell for 19.99; they are not 19.99 list. Hairspray, Semi-Pro, and Dark Knight are certainly not 19.99 MSRP.

Sweet Baby James
09-01-09, 09:01 AM
^

I've seen some Mirimax titles at my local FYE for $19.99(Kill Bill 1 & 2, Unbreakable, The Rock).

jiggyblau
09-01-09, 06:25 PM
I had plenty of luck at my local Suncoast (Hagerstown MD). At first they told me only regular price $19.99 and under, but then they told me anything priced $19.99 and under, sale or not, was eligible. I traded in 14 DVDs that rang up for $1 or $2 credit and picked up

Role Models
Milk
Frost/Nixon
Earth: The Biography
Sex Drive
Donnie Darko
Pan's Labyrinth

for $5 each. There were several more that were marked $19.99 or under - Get Smart, Hunt For Red October, Memento, Dogma, Arlington Road, 2001, Clockwork Orange, Shining, the list goes on. The section that was labeled "$20 and under" was only 15-20 movies strong, though.

There is also a buy 3, get the 4th free on used blu-rays.

This store confirmed for me that they didn't know about FYE stores participating. The one in the same mall had never heard of it. Meanwhile, the Suncoast had signs throughout the entire blu-ray section advertising this trade-in sale.

They also didn't know how long it would last. YMMV of course. Who knows if they will all honor the sale prices.

Dean Kousoulas
09-01-09, 09:56 PM
I was able to use the 40% coupon 4 times today to get Lost seasons 1-4 on blu-ray. After trading in my DVD sets, I upgraded for only about $10 each season.

The cashier did have to do 4 seperate transactions though.

jigga6286
09-02-09, 01:40 PM
Would anyone be willing to help me out... this seems like the perfect opportunity for me to get rid of the mass of DVD's I have (over 50) and increase my bluray collection (4 titles!). Unfortunately, I am in CT and the closest Suncoast is 1.5 hours away. Would anyone be willing to receive the dvd's I send to them and do the bluray shopping for me? I will pay a reasonable price (I still want to make this a good deal for me) to someone willing to do the work here. LMK, thanks.

kenbenobi
09-02-09, 04:49 PM
I was able to use the 40% coupon 4 times today to get Lost seasons 1-4 on blu-ray. After trading in my DVD sets, I upgraded for only about $10 each season.

The cashier did have to do 4 seperate transactions though.
I can't believe they had used copies of each of those. Wow. Nice deal. I hope the proof of purchase tabs were still included, so you can try to submit the $20 upgrade rebates for S1 and S2...

kenbenobi
09-02-09, 05:14 PM
I had plenty of luck at my local Suncoast (Hagerstown MD). At first they told me only regular price $19.99 and under, but then they told me anything priced $19.99 and under, sale or not, was eligible. I traded in 14 DVDs that rang up for $1 or $2 credit and picked up

Role Models
Milk
Frost/Nixon

Thanks for these great suggestions. I'll try to get my store to honor the sale prices as well...

tofferman
09-02-09, 07:16 PM
I had plenty of luck at my local Suncoast (Hagerstown MD). At first they told me only regular price $19.99 and under, but then they told me anything priced $19.99 and under, sale or not, was eligible...
They also didn't know how long it would last. YMMV of course. Who knows if they will all honor the sale prices.

Nice that they included on-sale titles too. There were several titles that were on sale for less than $19.99 that I wanted, but I was told they were not part of the promotion. Only the $19.99 or less titles (regularly priced) were eligible.

Sounds like a YMMV interpretation for this promotion.

jiggyblau
09-02-09, 07:39 PM
Nice that they included on-sale titles too. There were several titles that were on sale for less than $19.99 that I wanted, but I was told they were not part of the promotion. Only the $19.99 or less titles (regularly priced) were eligible.

Sounds like a YMMV interpretation for this promotion.

That's exactly right. In fact, what was so puzzling for me was the fact that I was told I couldn't get sale blu-rays immediately. As I was browsing, I was told that it was fine. That's why I went back the next day to get some more before they could change their minds.

Dean Kousoulas
09-02-09, 10:06 PM
I can't believe they had used copies of each of those. Wow. Nice deal. I hope the proof of purchase tabs were still included, so you can try to submit the $20 upgrade rebates for S1 and S2...

I'm guessing they were stolen and traded it for cash, as seasons 1, 2 & 4 are missing the slipcovers, but season 3, once I opened the outside case, was still factory sealed. All discs were mint condition, so yea, I guess I scored ;)

Sweet Baby James
09-02-09, 10:21 PM
^

You should be doing time for possession of stolen merchandise!:D

Dean Kousoulas
09-02-09, 10:57 PM
The FYE in Trumbull, CT is a haven for stolen merchandise traded in. :lol:

ksyblues
09-03-09, 02:28 AM
got four bd's ,they only charged me $11 bucks for all four.war inc,harold and kumar,sukiyaki western,fools gold.not alot too choose from but cheap though

also what your allowed to get depends on whose working,the first time i went it was $19.99 list which is warner stuff mostly.the second time it was any $19.99 title sale or list.the manager the first time told me dark knight was overstock clearance..good luck

kenbenobi
09-03-09, 10:58 AM
I was able to trade in for Milk yesterday. I got refused on 2 discs I thought for sure they'd take (one didn't even come up as existing in their system), but they took the one disc I thought would get refused since it is a bit scratched up). Go figure. I need to go back for Frost Nixon. I recently bought Role Models, but have no idea how much I paid. I need to search for the receipt...

outcastja
09-03-09, 07:25 PM
Got:

Terminator 2
Reservoir Dogs
American Psycho
Aviator
Pan's Labyrinth

Quezacotl02
09-03-09, 08:08 PM
This promotion is running in San Francisco, Ca at the Stonestown Suncoast. Sort of a a bust for me, since the 19.99 Blu selection was about as follows:

Rambo
Rambo II
Rambo II
Fred Claus
Total Recall
Dog Soldiers
American Psycho
Reservoir Dogs
Shoot Em Up
Polar Express
...about ten more titles

Didn't find most of the other discs people are reporting. I asked the clerk for a list of the 19.99 Blus, but he just pointed me to this half full box, saying that was specifically for the promotion. After choosing a grand total of two, it took about 15 minutes for him to figure out how to run the promo. Rejected about three of my titles, then settled on the four. Used that Staycation Coupon for the Sony DVDs! Just search for it.

Also, I was quite surprised to see the trade in value for some dvds at around $3-4. I am now considering finding out the $1 titles, using those for the promo, while I get the credit amount for the more valuable titles. This way I would cover that $5 no problem. Just a thought.

Cashier was firm on the 19.99 regular price. Good thing, since I'm sure they are selling out of their $39.99 House of Flying Daggers. Uggh.

Finally, if your Suncoast has yet to run this promo, keep calling. I did, and finally the manager got the message. Enjoy!

SoonerDoc
09-04-09, 10:38 PM
Worked out great for me. I had a ton of DVDs to trade. They wouldn't take a lot of theatrical release movies, which worked out fine because they took all of my kids old DVDs from when they were kids. Stuff they never, ever would watch again including disney princess, bear in the big blue house, jay jay, rolie polie olie, etc. I got rid of a giant ton of crap taking up space that they basically gave me 7.50 for each disc !!

Ended up getting:

Hairspray
A Few Good Men
Sex and the City
Memento
Wanted
Burn After Reading
We are Marshall
Fred Claus

for $5 apiece. Great Deal !! THANK YOU OP !!!!!!

Doc Moonlight
09-05-09, 08:17 AM
Went to the Suncoast in Massapequa, NY.

Got HAIRSPRAY, THE REAPING, LA CONFIDENTIAL and BODY HEAT.

The following titles were accepted for trade-in (all original releases that I were available in box sets that I bought or were upgraded with new releases): GRAPES OF WRATH, MY DARLIN' CLEMENTINE, GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES, THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST, CASUALTIES OF WAR, RIO BRAVO, ALL ABOUT EVE.

The following titles were not accepted: THE ROBE, BIG FISH, DARKMAN. I also had a sealed copy of THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH that would have been accepted if I opened it.

lewisb73
09-05-09, 09:00 AM
Damn... Id take serious advantage of this if it were FYE stores... but alas it isnt, and I have no suncoasts here for years...

What sucks is there were some really good BR titles under 20 new that I couldve gotten

noazrk
09-05-09, 11:40 PM
I renewed my backstage pass & went to 4 different stores nearby. Here's some funny quirks I noticed about FYE though.

1. They had The Office Season 3&4 DVDs used for $32 but were on sale NEW for $29.99. Each store had multiples so even at 40% off it's still only a few bucks cheaper than Amazon new so I'll wait a few months when they do another coupon and see if they drop to $25 or so. Also, T2 is on sale new for $10 & $13 used. I guess I can take some things to the counter for a price check as sometimes they ring up cheaper. I bought an import CD used for $8 which was a good deal and it rung up for $6!

2. VERY inconsistent prices from store to store! Store A near a major college had a HUGE blu-ray selection and better prices than store B. Here are some examples: A. Prison Break S1 $30 B. $40, A. Lost Season 3 $30 B. $45

Those are HUGE differences for the same product!

The 40% off coupon stacks with the 10% off backstage pass but I don't consider that a discount UNTIL I spend over $250 in one year. I usually wait until this type of deal and then buy a ton of stuff in bunches.

My rule of thumb since I've arleady seen most of what I want to buy is :

Blu Ray Movies - Wait until it's under $10
DVD Box Sets - Wait until it's under $15
Blu Ray TV Box Sets - Wait until it's under $20

I still have TV box sets I bought 2-3 years ago that I do want to own forever but I've never even watched them. I could've waited and saved a ton of cash!

One deal is the Thundercats cartoon box sets. I paid at least $25 for 3/4 over a year ago and was missing the last one. Well....the first FYE I went into today had it brand new, on sale for only $15 (from $65 original srp) AND a $7 mail in rebate. After the backstage pass price it will be $7 out the door!!!

Most FYEs have an on sale box set section right now with mail in rebates, I'm not sure if they're all $7 but it's worth checking out. Ones of note were Lost, 24, Entourage & of course, Thundercats (no Blu-Rays though).

GMan2819
09-07-09, 04:41 PM
Only the yellow stickered $19.99 titles are supposed to be part of this promotion so it's YMMV on any of the other titles. At the Waldorf, MD store, this limited the selection to mostly catalog WB and Lionsgate titles. The manager tells me that any DVD with a trade-in value > $0.05 is allowed. I picked up Shoot'em Up, Mongol, See No Evil, Total Recall, 10,000 BC.

BTW, I would not use secondspin.com as a gauge for trade-in value. Each store sets it own trade-in value based on the # of copies it has on hand. I was shocked to see one of my trade-in titles valued at $4.50 at the store and $2 at secondspin.

b2net
09-07-09, 05:50 PM
I had one that secondspin / wherehouse / etc has for $0.05... and it was actually $12 in store..

IJMSPORT
09-07-09, 07:33 PM
When does this promo end?

GMan2819
09-07-09, 09:11 PM
I had one that secondspin / wherehouse / etc has for $0.05... and it was actually $12 in store..
$12 + the 25% store credit bonus if you are a Backstage pass member is enough to get a $14.99 sale title assuming there was one you wanted. I noticed there were quite a few decent $14.99 sale titles at the FYE near me.

Sweet Baby James
09-07-09, 10:52 PM
^

You don't need to be a Backstage Pass member to receive the extra 25%. You get it if you opt for store credit in lieu of cash.

kenbenobi
09-08-09, 04:27 PM
Hmmm, I guess I should bring in my entire stack then. I have a bunch I assumed they would not take, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try!

ksyblues
09-08-09, 05:59 PM
picked up master and commander, role models.since i had an extra sdvd they threw it in the deal,so i ended up pay $5 for both bds.......

Zen Peckinpah
09-08-09, 06:54 PM
Any chance I could buy a used BD with the deal? There's a copy of Oldboy at the store I've had my eyes on. If not, whatever, they still had quite a few I'd pick up.

kenbenobi
09-09-09, 09:43 PM
Traded in 4 more used titles tonight, all of which showed 5 cents at secondspin, so thanks for suggesting that I try anyway. I got The Changeling and Young Frankenstein BD's (both regularly $39.99). The $19.99 section grew 1000% at my store. It went from a small endcap of 40 BD's to an entire section with 5 rows and 10 sections per row, each of which held 8 titles.

kenbenobi
09-09-09, 09:44 PM
When does this promo end?
I wish I knew. I've asked at my store twice, but they claim it is open ended, and they don't know the end date. They'll supposedly receive a memo when to stop the promotion.

IJMSPORT
09-09-09, 09:48 PM
I wish I knew. I've asked at my store twice, but they claim it is open ended, and they don't know the end date. They'll supposedly receive a memo when to stop the promotion.

Guess I'll tax them Friday.

Manzana
09-10-09, 07:18 AM
Just to double check: nobody has found this deal at FYE... only at Suncoast?

I called my local FYE who as I expected knew nothing about it. I then tried calling the 2 Suncoasts within a 30 mile radius which I hadn't visited for a couple years and both numbers had been disconnected. I then checked Google which listed both stores as having been closed. So I guess I'll be missing this deal.

kenbenobi
09-10-09, 11:57 AM
Just to double check: nobody has found this deal at FYE... only at Suncoast?

I called my local FYE who as I expected knew nothing about it. I then tried calling the 2 Suncoasts within a 30 mile radius which I hadn't visited for a couple years and both numbers had been disconnected. I then checked Google which listed both stores as having been closed. So I guess I'll be missing this deal.
Yeah, it has only been found at Suncoast. Did you check suncoast.com to see if there are any other locations in your area that you may not be aware of? There were some other stores (coconuts, sam goody) that converted to Suncoast and FYE after they consolidated their names. So you might have a store you don't know about within reasonable driving distance...

PirateMike
09-12-09, 03:37 PM
Hi I'm terribly sorry if it was mentioned already, I didn't see it, but do you need to have the backstage pass to trade in for the blu rays? Thank you

Sweet Baby James
09-12-09, 03:56 PM
Hi I'm terribly sorry if it was mentioned already, I didn't see it, but do you need to have the backstage pass to trade in for the blu rays? Thank you

No. They do require a photo ID when you trade in your DVDs.

PirateMike
09-12-09, 06:53 PM
No. They do require a photo ID when you trade in your DVDs.

thanks sweetie

kenbenobi
09-16-09, 10:31 PM
I traded for Hellboy 2 BD tonight. They said they think the promotion ends Oct 4 or 5, when the next flier comes out.

PirateMike
09-17-09, 10:00 PM
There was a very limited selection where I went I ended up getting The Fountain, The Shining, Diary of the Dead & Outbreak. A few other titles I saw were Batman Gotham Night, Superman Vs Doomsday, Hary Potter OOTP, The Brave One, Room W/ a View, Enter the Dragon, Apaloosa, 2001

Quezacotl02
09-22-09, 06:01 PM
Went back to Suncoast in San Francisco, Ca yesterday. A huge amount of titles had been added, now probably about 40 titles available. Grabbed The Shining. Also, those of you with the Backstage Pass, there is now a coupon for $3 off purchase, which should get you a Blu for $2.xx with tax. I think I'll head back today.

Newer titles:

Shoot Em Up
The Shining
Goodfellas
The Good The Bad and The Ugly
A Clockwork Orange
I, Robot
Batman Gotham Night
Galapagos

kenbenobi
09-24-09, 04:00 PM
Went back to Suncoast in San Francisco, Ca yesterday. A huge amount of titles had been added, now probably about 40 titles available. Grabbed The Shining. Also, those of you with the Backstage Pass, there is now a coupon for $3 off purchase, which should get you a Blu for $2.xx with tax. I think I'll head back today.

Huge YMMV on that. This is considered a trade-in, not a normal purchase. I was told that I couldn't use a coupon. Also, I tried using my backstage pass discount, and the system would NOT accept the discount. They said the system is programmed to adjust the prices automatically, whether pre or post discount, and will always make the final total $5. So the only way the coupon might work is if they manually adjust the price. The system won't accept the coupon code.

Quezacotl02
09-26-09, 02:19 AM
Coupons, and even the Backstage Pass discount would not work for this promotion. Super lame, considering it's "$3 off your ENTIRE purchase," and "10% off every purchase," for the Backstage Pass. Cashier had to call another store just to make sure.

Picked up Unbreakable. Noticed they added Superman Returns, Passion of The Christ.

Signs on every Blu Ray rack for this promotion, so probably will last for a while.

PlumPeach
09-26-09, 02:48 PM
Sent my wife to Suncoast and she picked up Blood Diamond for $5, and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly for $14.99. She said they wouldn't give her the $5 price for The Good, the Bad and the Ugly because the $19.99 price was a sale price and they went off the regular price of $29.99. I told her she should've argued, but maybe that is how the promotion is designed to work.

Quezacotl02
09-26-09, 04:32 PM
Seems to be totally YMMV depending on cashier even. Good the Bad and the Ugly was part of this promo, with the $14.99 tag. The blu I grabbed yesterday was "on sale" for $17.99, regularly $29.99. Cashier asked if I got it from the "$20" rack, which I did, and everything went fine. Most titles in this promo have the outrageous Suncoast price on them, with the Sale Price sticker right below.
As far as using coupons in combination, I was able to use the Sony Staycation $3 off for Black Hawk Down. Maybe because it's the Manufacturer's coupon. Anyway, keep posting your finds if you please.

jiggyblau
10-01-09, 12:19 PM
My latest trip to Suncoast was yesterday. I found a few new $19.99 (sale) titles including Young Frankestein, Spaceballs, and Princess Bride. I picked up Princess Bride for $5.

Idioteque...
10-06-09, 01:33 PM
Please tell me this is going on.

Any specific conditions the dvds have to be in? My predator 2 has quite a few scratches on the back.

kenbenobi
10-06-09, 03:54 PM
Please tell me this is going on.

Any specific conditions the dvds have to be in? My predator 2 has quite a few scratches on the back.
They will probably reject discs with scratches, but it is YMMV. They took one of mine, but rejected a few. I assume this deal is still going on. When I was there on Saturday, they told me there is still no end date, and he thinks it may go for the rest of the year since it is a very popular promotion.

jiggyblau
10-07-09, 10:10 PM
My store (MD) had the signs pulled today. They said they'd still do the deal, but right now, the deal is not active. They said it was a test run and may be up again soon though.

kenbenobi
10-08-09, 12:20 PM
I better go tonight then. The longer I wait, the more likely they won't do the deal for me. They just told me last weekend the deal was still going, so if they misinformed me, they better still honor it for me.

jiggyblau
10-08-09, 12:50 PM
I better go tonight then. The longer I wait, the more likely they won't do the deal for me. They just told me last weekend the deal was still going, so if they misinformed me, they better still honor it for me.

Yeah well they had told me the day before on the phone that it was still going. Imagine my surprise when I didn't have to even mention that fact - the manager just said he'd honor it.

kenbenobi
10-12-09, 11:25 AM
I went in Thursday night, and was refused for the offer. And it was the same dude who told me on Sunday that the offer had been extended! He said "I guess they changed their minds. Nothing I can do about it." He's the one employee there that I do NOT like. He's always cocky... Oh well. I'm sure other trade-in deals will come along eventually...

Idioteque...
10-13-09, 02:16 AM
So it's over?

kenbenobi
10-13-09, 12:40 PM
So it's over?
Yep

Quezacotl02
10-19-09, 02:27 PM
Tried San Francisco, Ca. Went in on Thursday, 10/15, and was told the Manager was needed to do the trade-ins. I had not had this happen before, though the clerk said the dvd to Blu trade was still going on. The signs were taken down, so this may be huge YMMV. They did add way more to the stack, of which I remember:

Hellboy 2
King Kong ('05)

I may try again tomorrow.

Idioteque...
10-19-09, 10:00 PM
Hm going to have call in and see whats up.