True Blood -- "New World In My View" -- 08/23/09

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-09, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
True Blood -- "New World In My View" -- 08/23/09

"New World in My View"
Spoiler:
Sookie, Bill and Jason return to a Bon Temps turned upside down by Maryann. Lured to Merlotte’s by Arlene, Sam and Andy find cold comfort in their refuge from a group of bloodthirsty revelers. Bill discovers that traditional vampire techniques don’t work on Maryann; Hoyt and Jessica try to keep a lid on Maxine’s madness; and Sookie tries to push through the darkness consuming Tara. With all hell breaking loose, Jason takes the bull by the horns to rescue Sam, at least for the moment.

Originally Aired: August 23, 2009
Old 08-23-09, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: True Blood -- "New World In My View" -- 08/23/09

WTF? Only 45 minutes this week?

Anyone else
Spoiler:
catch the quick shot of Evan Rachel Wood in the preview? I guess she's the vampire queen they have to get to take out MaryAnn
Old 08-23-09, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's bullshit, I was surprised it ended so early.
Old 08-23-09, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That makes three of us...Way too short. I hope the next two episodeswill be there normal length.
Old 08-23-09, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
WTF? Only 45 minutes this week?

Anyone else
Spoiler:
catch the quick shot of Evan Rachel Wood in the preview? I guess she's the vampire queen they have to get to take out MaryAnn
I read that spoiler awhile back before the season aired but didn't catch her in the preview.

Pretty good episode. I think I probably like last season better. This really has been pretty much the same exact thing every episode. The church storyline was a nice diversion because the main storyline just sucks.
Old 08-23-09, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Damn, I was loving this episode and it ends that early? Ugh.

Am I the only one dying to see Arlene show her goodies?
Old 08-23-09, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I was pretty pissed when it ended so early, because I was really enjoying this episode...
Old 08-23-09, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved the old lady playing Wii.

And Jason's "horns" reminded me of the dog from the Grinch Who Stole Christmas.

Old 08-23-09, 10:30 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah that was Dead Space Extraction it's not even out yet. I agree that it sucked that the episode was so short. Can't wait till next week.
Old 08-23-09, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Since Sookie blasted Maryanne with that white light from her hands, I wonder if that means they're going to take Sookie in the same direction as the books.

To save everyone a trip to wikipedia or google, in the books
Spoiler:
Sookie's grandfather was a Faerie.
Old 08-24-09, 01:16 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wished it was longer, but I still thought this was a great episode. I love that the stakes have been raised... with the 'Big Bad' setup I thought it hit on all cylinders.

On a side note, I just found out the actress who plays Arlene is married to Ben Linus (Michael Emerson).
Old 08-24-09, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really loved this episode! Some truly funny moments, mixed in with some outright crazy, frightening stuff. My favorite scenes were Hoyt's mother going crazy, telling Jason to give himself over to her, and playing the Nintendo Wii, saying, "I'm going to bash your skull in, bitch!" Oh, and Maryann! Evil bitch! I love her! "Yes, RAVAGE me!" Oh, she's an evil one, and it's going to be one heck of a battle to get rid of her. Jason as a god! LOL! Yeah, he may look like one, but, that's about it. I wonder if Sam is really going to explain what he is to Jason and Andy. I loved Andy's line, after a nearly naked Sam comes walking out, putting out the flares, "I just took my last drink right there." Great stuff. That stuff with Tara, especially after she came out of it, was downright wonderful. Had a tear in my eye. I can't wait until next week! Too bad that this episode was so short, and that there aren't more episodes in the season. This is truly my favorite show on television, right now.
Old 08-24-09, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Timber

Probably
Old 08-24-09, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Timber

wouldn't want to cross
Old 08-24-09, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When Sam was shivering in the cooler, I wondered why he didn't just turn himself into a penguin.
Old 08-24-09, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by DRG

On a side note, I just found out the actress who plays Arlene is married to Ben Linus (Michael Emerson).

yeah..and she also played Ben Linus's mom in a few of the episodes, too.

but I really don't need to see her naked.
Old 08-24-09, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
When Sam was shivering in the cooler, I wondered why he didn't just turn himself into a penguin.
He has to see the animal he changes into.
Old 08-24-09, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

More importantly, he wasn't ready to reveal his true nature at that point. I've no doubt that before he died, he would have done what he needed to do. And not just a penguin. Maybe a Polar Bear or Elephant. He was getting out one way or another.
Old 08-24-09, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

I loved this episode. Definitely too short, but it was pure awesome.

Jason as "God" and Lafayette's comment about being the worst intervention had me rolling.

Awesome.
Old 08-24-09, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone have a gif of when Lafayette slapped Tara?
Old 08-24-09, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, but I loved this scene

Old 08-24-09, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia

I know why....
Old 08-24-09, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Since Sookie blasted Maryanne with that white light from her hands, I wonder if that means they're going to take Sookie in the same direction as the books.

To save everyone a trip to wikipedia or google, in the books
Spoiler:
Sookie's grandfather was a Faerie.
I'm currently on book 7 so I've read that part that you spoilerized but does the light from her hands happen too because it hasn't in the books yet.

I'm really enjoying the way this season is going its own way with the story while still sticking to most of the basic plot points. Love this show!
Old 08-24-09, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by whitetigeress
No, but I loved this scene

I had to pause my tivo for a good 3 minutes at this part because I was laughing so hard.

Really great episode, I'm glad Sookie and Bill are back home - I liked the church storyline but Sookie was gone from the main action for far way too long. Like many of you I really didn't expect it to end that soon - I thought we'd get a moment or two with Sophie-Anne.

Can't wait for the last two episodes - but I don't want to have to wait another year for season 3.
Old 08-24-09, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

io9's recap
And you thought True Blood couldn't get any more insane. This weeks naked and bloodied episode, the gang returns home from Dallas, and let's just say the heart souffle has hit the fan.

So yeah, True Blood, wow. Anyone else feel like the needed a stiff drink after sitting through an hour of that? Last night, True Blood did what it usually does best, went rat shit insane and just upped all the characters to a new level of cray-cray.

I've usually praised TB for lovingly embracing all things cheesy and silly. Well, last night True Blood bent cheese over and made cheese its bitch. It felt like the writers were all trying to outdo one another at a pitch meeting, and this isn't even the big finale.

Jessica's eating Hoyt's mom, Maxine, after she punched Hoyt in the crotch, Lafayette is smacking around Tara, Maryann is building a giant meat cross and Jason — well, he's kind of the King of the idiots isn't he, so he's pretty much just ruling the show.

This was one of those episodes where you're either along for the ride, or puking up black vampire bile out the window. So I decided to give in, and let the black eyed insanity take over and try and have some fun. With that said, it's time for the pros and cons.

Con: A sexy dream with Eric and Sookie, again! Am I going to have to be subjected to the wussification of Eric every week now? Just because it's Sookie's fantasy to make out with a crying muscle man who used to be all sexy and mean, that doesn't not mean it is mine. Please stop ruining Eric — he was so close to garnering actual sex cred.

Pro: I was kind of surprised that this was a dream, mainly because I could actually see Sookie doing that with Eric, moments after she told Bill she never would. Just seems like it's in her wheelhouse. Glad it was actually a dream because I'm not 100% ready for the whole "let's fight over a self absorbed character" love triangle just yet. But we all know it's going to happen in a much bigger way, so start getting prepared for it.

Pro: Bill in a box. Anubis Air is pretty great, I would do this — seriously, today. If there was a ventilation system I'd sign up in an undead heartbeat.

Pro: The spray painted Bon Temps sign, yep that's about right. Didn't need to be clever, just obvious.

Pro: I, personally, love Maryann's meat cross because it reminds me of this giant immovable load of a plot line that is just sitting there, rotting. So yeah this works for her. Also I'm kind of in awe of the whole masterpiece and its little flowers. Lets hope this giant meat sacrifice will mark the end of the sex parties.

Con: It didn't, but at least they seem to be getting a bit more violent. So that's something...right?

Pro: Jason: "This is fuckin' fucked up" yes it is. Also gotta love the pause for the new waitress at Merlottes that he hasn't slept with. Let's hope this means our boy is back!

Pro: The whole odd-couple Andy-and-Sam moment is a great big pro. I smell a spin off. He's a drunk and he's sometimes a dog, but they gotta pay rent so they open up a private detective service together. They can call it Supernatural Surveillance or something, it's a work in progress. But the two of them make a great team. Probably because I actually believe that Andy is a real person now, and I loved Chris Bauer in The Wire but here, he's really mastered "smelly functionally funny drunk." Thank you for that.

Pro: Maxine playing Wii, it's the only thing that calms her down...me too.

Pro: Jason loading up for the warring zombie apocalypse style.

Pro: "Jesus and I agree to see other people but that don't mean we don't talk from time to time." Hey Lafayette, GET OUT OF MY HEAD. So glad he's back and being the "voice of the viewer" again.

Pro: Also, yes this is "the worst mother fucking intervention in history,"....there's no sign! Although dynamite line.

Con: Mom and Lafayette talking about how they both hurt Tara and how they let her down and should have been there for her, sorry she's a grown-ass woman. I would have left that mansion after the naked pool party. Granted, I'd miss the never ending table of fruit and towel slapping.

Pro: Bill talking all professional like to Maryann, when they enter Sookie's completely mangled home. But of course they had to zoom in on the zombie photoshop picture of grams. I mean, forget totally soiling this place with body fluids, food, booze and possibly branches, and then building a rotting meat cross in her front yard — don't mess with Sookie's re-gifts to Tara. So yeah that whole thing, pro. Bill — you totally out-Dad Godric any day.

Con: Sookie's a Cocoon person. I knew this was coming... I can't shut out everything from the book, but I was really hoping we'd have more time before we had to deal with giving Sookie any more powers than she deserves.

Con: The line that went with Sookie's cocoon was not helping her case for having cool powers, it should have been..."FACED!!!!"

Pro: Bill vomiting out the car window hi-lar-i-ous. Vampires they're just like us! Everything Bill does that is remotely human is like a cartoon version of that scenario, like old people dressed up in trendy clothes.

Pro: Annie the Nanny, lord have mercy. WHY! It doesn't matter, it's Andy.

Con: True Blood is ruining group sex parties for me. If I see one more group sex scene I'm going to pass out from sheer boredom, which is something I never thought I would write...ever. I've been True Bloodered.

Pro: Terry calls a time out, Zach Morris style.

Pro: Just to fucking throw down that he is the wettest of the vampire blankets Bill yells at the college girl trying to buy vampire drugs. Drugs are bad! Glad we have time for this little intervention, Bill.

Pro: Terry in this entire episode, I mean I wish he was being a bit weirder. He's a little too together, but it's nice to see a smaller character get a bigger role than he usually does, especially since he's deserved it with all his strange side talk and war ticks.

Pro: Arlene yelling at Terry for shooting the good booze.

Pro: Tara chanting in her chair is the most tolerable she's ever been, for the entire season. Can we keep her like this? Please?

Pro: The God scene. What can I say. I watched this with a friend and he turned to me blankly and said, "really?" Meanwhile I was rolling around on the ground in silent I can't believe I'm watching this, when will I get to breathe again laughter. Jiminy Crickets this scene was so ricockulous it needs it's own set of descriptive words. This is where I fell in love with True Blood all over again, because it just decides to go full force insane and leave the rest behind. And because Jason is standing in front of a bunch of characters I've become bored with and managed to make them interesting again, if only for one minute, while Andy stumbles around in the back holding up the god's horns. Yes, a thousands times yes, True Blood. It was just so stupid, and of course it worked, because apparently the black eyes means people are morons, and I didn't know that but why not? I mean they added a special coke bottle filter to prove it and everything, and sheesh writing a fluid plot is hard ok?

Pro: Jason can totally be a reoccurring character on Supernatural Surveillance, which now that I'm writing this name out for a second time probably needs a new title, I turn to you guys.

Pro: For me having to pause the television and stop laughing.

Pro: Samsquito returns and then transforms into naked Sam, apron boy. Andy and I had the same response, but I don't think either of us meant it.

Con: Tara's brain is just recaps from the last couple episodes, I was hoping for something more fellas, but then again, ugh, it's Tara.

Pro: No one wants Tara to go get more Eggs. Take the hint.

Con: So Bill and Sookie are all "how do we fight this terrible bull lady and neat-o I can make it light with my fingers." Well thank god, Bill read a book one time at his house, because where the hell would we be now? Oh, you don't remember him reading that book? Well, let's flash back to it to prove it — there, see? He totally read that book that one time a few episodes ago, which was why we included it in the first place, for reasons or something. Holy terrible plot hole filler in a flaming hand basket. Also his delivery for "I might know a vampire who miiiiiight [coy over the shoulder look] MIGHT [sassy head snap] be able to help or something was just make-a-sour-face bad.

Con: Sookie thinking that the whole town went to help because she left. I'm not surprised she thought this, but I like the need to remind everyone that she really is a terrible human being just one last time before the credits.

Pro: Jessica and Maxine going nuts and resorting to fang fisticuffs. I didn't think they were going to go there, and while it may have really been squeezed into this plot, I'm standing on the edge of my edge of my seat, which is basically just air. So clearly I'm excited for Jessica to kill Maxine and get this whole new drama under way.

Con: Bill runs off to see the Queen of Texas. Saywhatnow? The Queen? So there's a sheriff, a talking head, and a queen? You're serious with this True Blood? Not only are you totally screwing up my perception of Vampire hierarchy but I love how Bill's just like oh yeah the Queen, no bigs, Imma talk to her.

So they have a Queen, who was that bald guy that took the vampires fangs? The vice president? Bah, I'm sure you guys remember but I'm still a little ruffled from the OMG I just remembered I read a book once moment that I'm putting in as much effort as they did with this transition.

Pro: Another ending with yet another bloody foot. Methinks Ball has a bit of a foot fetish, still excited to meet the Queen, who is played by Evan Rachel Wood.

So that's that, and honestly I'm still processing it all. Bill's about to bust up this party because we can't be having any sort of fun while he about. Let's just hope the rest of this year, which isn't that much, and the new season aren't consistently this insane. Because like black-eyed sex parties, this kind of crazy is best consumed a bit at a time. And yet, my heart knows this is clearly going to get even more ridiculous, and the wii playing black eyed mumu wearing possessed racist in us all wants it to happen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.