Old 08-22-09, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,147 Likes on 1,212 Posts
Kids in the Hall coming back...sort of

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/tv/story/2009...ermystery.html

Kids in the Hall return with murder mystery
Death Comes to Town will premiere in January

Last Updated: Friday, August 21, 2009 | 3:06 PM ET

Fifteen years after The Kids in the Hall aired on CBC Television, the five original members of the Canadian sketch comedy team have reassembled in North Bay, Ont., to shoot an eight-part TV series.

Death Comes to Town will premiere on CBC in January.

The series is about a killing spree in a small town and the trial that follows. It opens with the character of Death, played by Mark McKinney, getting off a Greyhound bus.

"It's our version of comedy… with a whodunit as the engine," Kids co-founder Bruce McCulloch told CBC Radio's cultural affairs program Q from North Bay on Friday.

The troupe's five members — Dave Foley, Kevin McDonald, McCulloch, McKinney and Scott Thompson — reunited at Montreal's Just for Laughs festival in 2007 and toured across North America last year. "We never broke up," McCulloch said. "We just didn't do anything."

The Kids in the Hall ran on CBC from 1988 to 1994, and on two U.S. networks until 1995.

Troupe members came up with new material for the tour. "And we had just enough juice left in the pear that we felt we had to do something" with it, McCulloch said.

"It felt like the passion, as they say in Los Angeles, within the group was to do a little, weird TV series so we could have deeper drawers for weird characters and stories."

McCulloch came up with the idea for the series. Thompson coined the name Shockton, the small town in which the murder mystery is set. And all five Kids co-wrote the show.

Even though the Kids have been working on individual projects in recent years, McCulloch said the troupe's style has not significantly changed "in terms of what we like. And we all know what each other is going to say in terms of a point of view on a comedy moment. But it's interesting to come back with our different ideas and even the different phrases that we've learned and use."

And although most of them are now based in the United States, he contends the group is even more uniquely Canadian than ever. "But I don't think we ever really made fun of Canadians," he said.

His character is a 600-pound former hockey star; wearing the fat suit required for the part can be physically daunting, McCulloch said. "When you get into the suit, you realize it isn't as funny as you thought."

Now that they are in sync again, fans may see more of the Kids. "We're setting ourselves up to do something every so often," McCulloch said.
Of course, this series will air on CBC in January. When American audiences might get to see it will remain to be seen.
Old 08-22-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Kids in the Hall coming back...sort of

Very excited for this. I have the complete series on DVD and I may just rewatch it in anticipation.
Old 08-22-09, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KITH is probably the last sketch comedy show I watched with any regularity. Glad to see they are coming together again.
Old 08-22-09, 04:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I want to go to there.
Old 08-22-09, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,147 Likes on 1,212 Posts

I love The Kids in the Hall...aaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnd Satan!
Old 08-22-09, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brain Candy is easily one of my favorite comedies. Such a classic.

Loved the show. I wish Comedy Central still aired it. I'll be watching this somehow although I don't get CBC.
Old 08-22-09, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They is old. I don't see much of the two guys (#3 and #4 from the left) in the middle any more. I saw Scott's stand-up in person and I was hoping for the laugh out loud stuff on KITH and I left disappointed.
Old 08-22-09, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to really love watching the show, hilarious stuff. I'd DVR this and check it out. I'm sure it'll be irreverent and hilarious, at the least.
Old 08-22-09, 07:12 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by big whoppa
They is old. I don't see much of the two guys (#3 and #4 from the left) in the middle any more.
Mark McKinney was on Studio 60.
Old 08-22-09, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I used to really love watching the show, hilarious stuff. I'd DVR this and check it out. I'm sure it'll be irreverent and hilarious, at the least.
You get CBC even further south?
Old 08-22-09, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Since I get CBC (HD even) I'll try to remember to check this out.
Old 08-26-09, 07:12 PM

For the first time ever, I'm glad I live near Detroit and get CBC via Comcast.
Old 08-27-09, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm really happy about this.

The new material in their reunion tours had some solid stuff, promising signs that they could work together again without being tired or rusty. The League of Gentlemenish concept of a season was a good move too since they've done the sketch thing.
Old 11-19-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

A kind of old interview, but this thread needed some info, dammit!

Bruce McCulloch talks new Kids in the Hall show 'Death Comes to Town'
by Mandi Bierly
Categories: News, Television, Things That Are Awesome!, Waiting

The Kids in the Hall have reunited for the eight-part murder mystery series Death Comes to Town, currently shooting in Canada and scheduled to premiere on the CBC in January (and, if there is a comedy god, on a US cable station shortly thereafter). We phoned Bruce McCulloch, who also serves as exec producer, for the scoop on who’ll be in drag (Dave Foley, Mark McKinney, Scott Thompson, and Kevin McDonald), who’ll be wearing a codpiece (McKinney), and who’ll be donning a fat suit (McCulloch)…

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: You came up with the original concept: Death steps off a Greyhound bus. What was the inspiration?
BRUCE McCULLOCH: Anyone who’s ever watched Mark mistreat a sommelier sees him as Death. No. All the things I’ve done, I’ve started with an image. Carpoolers started with an image of someone having a breakdown in the carpool lane, and this was literally the image of Death getting off a Greyhound bus in a little hicky Canadian town. It just stayed with me. Initially, it was conceived of as a movie. When we went on tour [last year], we really enjoyed writing all-new material. People were really hungry to do something. I suggested this, and everybody jumped on it.

How was it determined that Mark would play Death?
The kernel of Death actually came from a sketch we did ["Country Doctor," in the first season of The Kids in the Hall] where he played Death as an animal who was interested in pie, so that was clear. He plays Death in the traditional sense in that he kills people and snorts their souls, but he also plays a character named The Drifter, who’s like a Long Beach skate punk that you see on the street. We personify that song “What if God was one of us/ Just a stranger on a bus,” which is the concept that Death could be the person you just sort of notice out of the corner of your eye. He’s a guy who hangs out, has a thing for redheads and chubby chicks. But when you need to see Death, which won’t be for many years for you, then you see him as Death in the codpiece.

The codpiece?
Death is much more complicated now. He has several different hoods and codpieces, and he rides through town in a bone bike, which is a Mustang bike covered in bones.

You’re telling me there was a codpiece fitting?
Of course there was. And there’s conversations, and people sent us sketches, and we discussed it. We discuss everything to death, and then we change it all when we get there.

You’re all playing about three characters. Is it obvious to you guys after 20+ plus years together who plays who or are there fights?
There are… gentleman’s fights, where we just bitchslap each other. It’s a balancing act. There are some characters that seem like they’d fit people, and then there are some that are just really natural for people, and then it’s sorta like the boring NHL draft: “I’ll take that.” “Well, you got that. Why don’t I get that?” “Well, that’s a third-round choice. Nobody wants to play that guy.” And, of course, because we write our stuff, people have impulses: Scott goes, “Oh, I’d like to play a weird, crazy coroner,” and we start writing for that and it becomes his.

Tell us about some of the other characters.
I play the town mayor. Dave plays the mayor’s wife, who “shakes the martini shaker like she hates it.” Scott plays the person who’s considered to be the murderer. Mark plays Corrinda the newscaster, a woman who’s told she she’s down to her last egg. Her story is about whether or not she should keep her baby… It’s funnier than it sounds.

Everyone always says that Dave makes the prettiest woman. Is that still the case?
He plays a fairly boozy broad in this, so I don’t think we tried to make him pretty… but yes, of course he’s the prettiest.
Because he’ll read this?
Yeah.

Was there a character that was particularly sought after in Death Comes to Town?
Well, quite the opposite. We’ve been calling me “Short Straw” in the troupe lately as my nickname because I only get to do all the work. Whenever anything comes up, I’ll do it. “Oh, we have to figure out our bank account and take all our Chicken Lady stuff out to a storage space in Irvine, Calif.? I guess I’ll do it.” There’s a character, Ricky, who’s a 600 lb. shamed ex-hockey star who has been in his house since he lost the big game — so I play him. I get to be in fat suit Tuesday morning. I think my call time is 3:50 a.m. So I get to play Ricky, and Kevin gets the fun of being my only friend, an old woman who’s the local pizza delivery person and has Alzheimer’s.

Ohmygod.
Yeah, it’s pretty sweet.

I’ve heard something about a child named Rampop?
It’s standard ABC 8 o’clock fare. The mayor and his wife have an adopted son who has a special sort of gift [he only sees people as butterflies]. He’s actually played by a child actor. We won’t tell him what anything’s about — we just make him do stuff, like lie in the rain and do snow angels in the back of a scene or something. Rampop has a friendship with Death. That’s all I can say about that.

Are there any guest stars?
Well, all the extras are really guest stars in their own non-verbal way.

Yes, I’ve heard you’re looking for 1,000 unpaid extras for a showdown scene you’re shooting on Wednesday between Ricky and Death. [If you're in North Bay, Ontario, email [email protected] for details.] What does this scene entail that it will take 12 hours to film?
I wish it’ll take 12 hours. What we’re not telling them is that it’ll take 72 hours, and we’re gonna lock the doors. We’re not gonna let them out. We’re gonna spray them with Mountain Dew every 15 hours, because all we care about is getting our f—ing TV show made. I can’t say more, because then it will give it away for people who want to watch it.

Let’s address that: Will we get to see it in the US?
We will, absolutely. I’m quite happy with my television work in America, but the great thing here is, I went to the head of CBC and he said “yes” and they haven’t really bothered us. We’ve got a good budget. We’re shooting it like a film. Kelly Makin, who had done our seminal one-star wonder Brain Candy, is directing it. It’s TV, but it’s quite cinematic as well. I think for us, at this time in our life, our goal was to make something unencumbered, and then we sort of own it. Of course, we’re gonna sell it in America, we just don’t where yet. We’re actually just getting into that now. It’s not a network show, based on the scripts I’ve written. I think it will end up being a cable thing, which is where we should live anyway.

The release announcing the series mentioned a couple of familiar characters may make an appearance. Which ones?
There’s a couple, but I don’t think they’re very important characters and they’re certainly not fan favorites. And I’m saying that truthfully. We wanted to write a new thing, so it wasn’t like, “Oh, yes, and then so-and-so will come in and do their schtick.” Our sense of humor’s the same but… we’re not as into our characters as other people are. [Laughs] We’re more into our sense of humor, if you know I mean.

So you won’t tell me which ones?
I play one, a very boring character. It’s not exciting. You’re clearly a fan of comedy, I don’t want to insult you.

Is there anything else you’re working on that you’d like to tell us about?
Okay, I’m doing a one man show called An Evening with Baby Nixon. It’s three hours long right now. I’m tryin’ to cut some scenes, but it’s really hard ’cause it’s all so good. It’s me in a Jolly Jumper for the entire evening. But you can put in brackets that I’m kidding.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/09/08/ki...comes-to-town/
Man, I can't wait to see this.
Old 11-20-09, 08:45 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Can't wait for this.. So glad I live near Detroit and we get CBC.
Old 11-20-09, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If anyone is looking for the complete series here in Canada, Costco is selling it here for $69, a fantastic price for a fantastic series.
Old 11-20-09, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Great news - but now I have to find out how I can watch this... I don't think Cablevision or Directv has CBC - do they?
Old 11-25-09, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They announced the air date: January 12 at 9 pm

And there's a promo! http://www.cbc.ca/kidsinthehall/
Old 11-25-09, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 01-12-10, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Its on tonight. Got my DVR ready for this.
Old 01-12-10, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I definitely have to remember to tape this tonight. My wife picked up the complete series for me for Christmas, so I'm ready to go!
Old 01-13-10, 06:08 PM

Did anyone watch? It was hilarous. Classic KITH, they haven't lost a beat.
Old 01-13-10, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I watched it. I thought it was hilarous too.
Old 01-13-10, 06:39 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

the first episode is available for free in the iTunes store. At least, for Canadians. Not sure about the US iTunes store.
Old 05-07-10, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It'll finally be airing down south on IFC, starting on August:

Kids in the Hall's 'Death Comes to Town to air on IFC, proving America does love comedy

Good news, fellow comedy nerds: Death Comes to Town, the eight-part “gothic comic murder mystery” the Kids in the Hall shot for the CBC last year, will air in the U.S. this summer on IFC, premiering August 20. The Kids — Mark McKinney, Bruce McCulloch, Kevin McDonald, Dave Foley and Scott Thompson — play nearly all of the 20 characters in the series about Death (McKinney) stepping off a Greyhound bus in Shuckton, Canada.

When we chatted with McCulloch, who served as executive producer, last fall, he admitted that Foley still made the prettiest woman, and this photo confirms it. Presumably, Dave’s shown as the murdered mayor’s alcoholic wife, who, in McCulloch’s words, “shakes the martini shaker like she hates it.” Bruce, meanwhile, is clearly in character as Ricky, a 600-lb. shamed ex-hockey star who has been in his house since he lost the big game and has one friend, a woman (McDonald) who’s the local pizza delivery person and has Alzheimer’s. Thompson is the town coroner, Dusty Diamond. Watch a trailer after the jump.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/05/07/ki...7s+PopWatch%29
Honestly, I kind of forgot about this. Don't know if I can wait until August.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.