Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Penn & Teller Bull****: Stress - 08/20/09

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-20-09, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Showtime, 9:00pm CDT

Stress

The hosts take a skeptical look at stress and the modern attitude toward "curing" what was once considered a normal part of everyday life.
I think another ho-hum episode. But the season overall has been pretty good.

Next week: The Vatican. This season's finale should get some people riled up.
Old 08-20-09, 08:38 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Penn & Teller Bull****: Stress - 08/20/09

I do get sick of hearing from people every day how stressed out they are, how rough they've got it, how terribly busy they are. And these are people around my age (26) mostly with no kids and regular 8-5 jobs.
Old 08-20-09, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by movielib
Showtime, 9:00pm CDT

I think another ho-hum episode. But the season overall has been pretty good.

Next week: The Vatican. This season's finale should get some people riled up.
It already has. That blathering fool Bill Donohue of the Catholic League has already taken out an ad in Variety calling for the firing of Penn and Teller by CBS.

Originally Posted by Bill Donohue's twisted mind
On August 27, Showtime, owned by CBS, will feature a vicious assault on Catholics. In the season finale of Penn & Teller's show, they "take on the secretive inner world of The Vatican, the holy city of Catholicism and home of the Pope." How do we know it will defame Catholics? Because on the show's website, it says so: There is a Showtime Advisory for "Graphic Language, Adult Content."

If Showtime posted that warning about a show on Islam, Muslims would brace for the worst (and so might CBS). But Muslims need not worry: it's not all religions that Showtime likes to trash--just Catholicism. Indeed, Showtime is currently working on a show, "Revelation," that promises to be at least somewhat respectful of Protestantism.

What will the upcoming show be like? On his Twitter page, Penn Jillette brags how he rips a Catholic encyclical on sexuality: "I'm dressed as Darth with a condom c--k light saber." He even boasts that the show is "hardcore," admitting that "we attack the Vatican." From trashing The Last Supper to mocking Catholic prayers, anti-Catholic bigots who feed on this kind of stuff will have a stomach full.

This is not the first time Showtime has featured a vile Penn & Teller show. In 2005, Mother Teresa was called "Mother F---ing Teresa," and her order of nuns were branded "f---ing c--ts." The year after, Jillette said on his CBS radio show that Mother Teresa "got her [sexual] kicks watching people suffer and die."

Just recently, Jillette took after me again in his usual foul way. That doesn't matter, but what matters greatly is his pathological obsession with bashing Catholics and their religion. There is no legitimate place for this kind of frontal assault on any demographic group.

CBS/Showtime needs to send Penn & Teller a message and let them know that they have crossed the line for the last time. This should be their final season. We know that they've been told before to drop the Catholic bashing, and yet they persist. By doing so, Penn & Teller have effectively stuck their middle finger right in the eye of CBS.
Bill, you're one of the last people to be criticizing others for their pathology. Gotta love the Fatwa envy towards the beginning.
Old 08-20-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
It already has. That blathering fool Bill Donohue of the Catholic League has already taken out an ad in Variety calling for the firing of Penn and Teller by CBS.

Bill, you're one of the last people to be criticizing others for their pathology. Gotta love the Fatwa envy towards the beginning.
Donohue's shouting monotone is funny.
Old 08-20-09, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Has this show attacked Islam in any way yet? Seems a little cowardly if the only religion they ever take on is Christianity. It does seem a little safer to bash, and I'm not a subscriber to any particular religion.
Old 08-21-09, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My only guess for Islam would be the fact that most people wouldn't "get" any of the jokes or references so what's the point? But they have touched on it with the 9/11 and WTC episodes. But, no, they don't just target Christianity. Both the Dali Lama and Gandhi got raked over the coals for all the evil crap they pushed over the years.
Old 08-21-09, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Again, not a lot of danger in attacking either of those figures.
Old 08-21-09, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Has this show attacked Islam in any way yet? Seems a little cowardly if the only religion they ever take on is Christianity. It does seem a little safer to bash, and I'm not a subscriber to any particular religion.
Probably 90% of the U.S. thinks Islam is bullshit already, so where's the fun in that?
Old 08-21-09, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Yeah, I'm sure it's just cowardice given that there are so many Muslims in their audience. I also wonder why they haven't had shows blasting Jainism, Shinto or the Great Spirit, all fatwa free religions. Not to mention the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Pretty simple. They target stuff people in their audience believe or are interested in.
Old 08-21-09, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Did I miss it or was there not a preview of next week's show? There's been a preview all year.

IIRC, The Mother Teresa/Gandhi program had only one repeat viewing the same day and then was pulled. It also was not available on demand. Pressure did get to Showtime.
Old 08-21-09, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The "stress" show. Again, decent, but I wouldn't feel I missed anything if they hadn't done the show.
Old 08-21-09, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I liked the tiger caveman fight then talking about how nobody gets attacked by Tigers anymore.