Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Colony

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-09, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
The Colony

Has anybody else been watching this show? The premise for it sounded fantastic, but I'm just riding it out at this point ... it seems like it should be retitled "Two Annoying Jackasses with a Complex and Some Other People for them to Push Around." It is really a shame that the producers have opted to only develop two characters, pay some attention to two more, and essentially write out the other six.

I'm waiting for the later episodes when the rest of the "castaways" become sick of Joey and Mike, off them, and eat their bodies.

I expected that the doctor would emerge as the leader, but the group seems to have laid back and let the dogs with the loudest bark take over (although revolution seems near).
Old 08-20-09, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Colony

I've been watching it. I think most of my enjoyment comes from puting myself in their situations and thinking about what I would do.
Old 08-20-09, 05:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's been ok so far... I can't help but wonder how many of the situations are staged though (in the sense the "survivors" have been coached to act a certain way) instead of just happening.

Edit to add: Just saw the one where the "owner" showed up, that was definitely more scripted than the other shows IMHO.

Last edited by nemein; 08-20-09 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-20-09, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Do you get the feeling that the "owner" and his handmaiden will turn up again?
Old 08-21-09, 05:17 AM

yep...
Old 08-21-09, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I watch it. I think much of it is scripted, but it's still entertaining to watch. I love Mike (he's the shop guy, right?). He's the only one that continually wants to work to better the place, and everyone else is busy making gyms and shit. Makes me laugh.
Old 08-21-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been watching it mainly because I'm a sucker for the end of the world type stuff. It's cool to learn how they make some of the stuff (never would've guessed you could run a gas engine off wood gas) but yeah some of the events are a bit scripted.
I'm curious how the "marauders" aren't accidentally harmed. The colonists supposedly don't know that they can't physically hurt them so I'm just waiting for one of the marauders to be accidentally hurt.

The nurse chick is annoying, she was wearing a dress and heels in the last episode, ridiculous.
Old 08-21-09, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

but in a post apocalyptic world, you know you'd tap that ass.
Old 08-21-09, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
but in a post apocalyptic world, you know you'd tap that ass.
actually I think I'd go for the marine biologist chick first. I'm not sure I'd call her hot but she's decent looking and there's something that i kind of dig about her look. Annoying blonde would be my fallback choice
Old 08-21-09, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought the toga was a much more interesting selection ... the marine biologist? Oh yeah ... one of the forgotten characters!

You actually like Mike? Mr. I'm-so-superior?
Old 08-31-09, 07:20 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

So what does everyone think of the Doctor getting "lost" in the Hospital basement?? Think he will reappear somehow?? I'm thinking the story will be he was kidnapped or something and appear towards the end. Anyone know how many episodes will be on?
Old 09-22-09, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Anyone else watch the finale tonight? Thoughts on the series?
Old 09-23-09, 05:21 AM

Have it on the Tivo... actually I haven't watched any of the last 3 yet.
Old 09-23-09, 06:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the finale sitting on my Tivo as well. Hopefully, I will get to watch it tonight.

I thought the show was pretty interesting. It is amazing what people can come up with when you have a skilled group of people together. I would have liked to see what would have happened without the planted supplies, though. That would have been tough to do, I guess.
Old 09-23-09, 08:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It was interesting, but I'm suspicious of the degree of editing & coaching. It seemed quite a bit more than usual for a reality show.
Old 09-23-09, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was a cool concept but it got more and more ridiculous each week. I have trouble believing they thought the marauders were any real threat when they new it was all a simulation and they were just actors. The whole thing just got ridiuclous "WE HAVE TO GET OUT OF HERE" "I'M NOT LEAVING MY CITY IT NEEDS ME" ugh it's FAAAAKKKEE!!

As an early fan of the show it went downhill pretty fast.
Old 09-23-09, 04:47 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I wonder if there will be a follow-up with the folks and get their take on the experience?? Like mentioned above I'm a fan but it did seem to go downhill. Still, 60+ days like that must have been tough especially not knowing when it would end. Overall enjoyable for me.
Old 09-23-09, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
It was a cool concept but it got more and more ridiculous each week. I have trouble believing they thought the marauders were any real threat when they new it was all a simulation and they were just actors. The whole thing just got ridiuclous "WE HAVE TO GET OUT OF HERE" "I'M NOT LEAVING MY CITY IT NEEDS ME" ugh it's FAAAAKKKEE!!

As an early fan of the show it went downhill pretty fast.
Yeah, the staying behind bit was pretty laughable. There was some interesting scenes in the series for sure, but a lot of nonsense. For instance, I found it funny how the more practically useful colonists (the males) kept getting overruled by the useless ones (the females) when it came to giving things away on a regular basis.

But it was fun to watch due to the wealth of unintentional humor, such as wondering how long until cannibalism became an issue, and betting who they would eat first. We figured the chubby girl, since not only would she go a lot further, but it precludes her from eating them. Also, we wondered why they didn't offer one of the useless women (especially the marine biologist) to the Traders, since they could probably get more for her than a bag of oranges. Probably. That would have been some awesome TV. Imagine the pop-up expert voiceover narratation to explain that precious moment.
Old 09-23-09, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the marauders part was just stupid, they would have been better served just having the show "steal" some of their shit at night at random points, and chalk it up to what would happen in a real event like that. Seeing them build & rig stuff was kind of interesting though.

I don't mind the planted supplies, in a real event like that (massive viral outbreak), tools & stuff like that are still going to be easily accessible, just by walking through the homes of all the dead people.
Old 09-23-09, 06:14 PM

I doubt they will be what would be really interesting is to have the participants do a commentary track. I'd would also be interesting to hear the people running the "experiment" do a track as well to see what they discovered (if anything).