Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

(Reverse) Sheep Round 9 — Wolves at the door

Old 08-18-09, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
(Reverse) Sheep Round 9 — Wolves at the door

Intro for first time players
Spoiler:

(Reverse) Sheep is a game that is part Family Feud, part trivia game. The object of the game is to outwit other players through a series of questions that are usually united in theme. There are two types of questions.

The first, Sheep, is one where you try to think like everyone else and match their answers. The more people you match, the better you do. Let's say we have a game of six players (A through F). A Sheep question might be something like "Name a great color." Sheep questions never have right or wrong answers. Let's say our five players answered like this:

Players A, C, and E said "Blue"
Players B and D said "Green"
Player F said "Chartreuse"

Scoring in Sheep games is like golf: the lower your score, the better. The "Blue" players get -3 points (and the best answer). The "Green" players get -2 points. Player F did not match anyone and gets 0 points.

The second type of question, Reverse Sheep, is the exaxt opposite. You want to avoid matching other players. A Reverse Sheep question might be something like "Name a state of the Atlantic Coast." Reverse Sheep questions always have right or wrong answers. Let's say our players answered like this:

Players D and E said "Delaware"
Players F and B said "Maine"
Player C said "Texas"
Player A said "South Carolina"

The "Delaware" players get +2 points (a penalty, since you want to have a low score). The "Maine" players also get +2 points. Player C's answer might be debated among the players to see if it is considered correct or not. Wrong answers always score above the most common answer. You're always better off going for something obvious than for something obviously wrong.

That's the gist of it. Each person running a game adds little rules here and there but those are the basics.

Critical praise for the game
Spoiler:

"These things are the most fun way to waste time at work since GemCraft." - maxfisher

"This is the most stirring display of gallantry and sportsmanship since Mountbatten gave India back to the Punjabs." - wishbone

"These have been really fun." - Tracer Bullet

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank The Bus for quite possibly the funniest commentary of any of the sheep games." - orangecrush18

General Rules
Spoiler:

• The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep), but still correct.
  • Example Sheep question: "Name a professional golfer." A good answer might be Tiger Woods and a bad answer might be Chichi Rodriguez.
  • Example Reverse Sheep question: "Name a play by Shakespeare." Romeo & Juliet might be a bad answer, but Two Gentlemen of Verona might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
  • Scores are tallied according to the number of players answering that question. Sheep answers are tallied as negative. Reverse Sheep answers are tallied as positive. The lowest score wins.
  • There is no such thing as wrong answer for a Sheep question. Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer. This penalty is multiplied by the Lightning Round Multiplier.
  • Certain rounds are considered Lightning Rounds (designated by a multiplier, such as ื2). In these rounds, scores are adjusted by the number on the multiplier. A wrong answer still gets a +4 penalty in a ื2 round and a +6 penalty in a ื3 round, and so on. In a sheep round, a wrong answer scores normally.
  • You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, etc. Use only what's in your head, with the exception of questions followed by a √ Check. (Not always in every game). (See more in the Sets section below).
  • Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers, set info, or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 10 points right off the bat.
  • Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
  • Sheep questions are marked by an S:, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an R:.

Game-Specific Rules
Spoiler:

• Unless specifically mentioned in the question, all games include console games, handheld games, PC games,
    XBLA/PSN/VC/WiiWare games and arcade games released officially in the United States. For games released "this generation", XBLA/PSN remakes do not count and any VC game does not count. XBLA/PSN originals, even ones based on previously released games (i.e. Pacman CE) do count.
  • Question spreadsheets for your convenience: Excel | Google Docs
  • Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points according to the following:
    1 Unique is awarded -15
    2 Uniques are awarded -10 each
    3 Uniques are awarded -6 each
    4 Uniques are awarded -3 each
    5+ Uniques are awarded -1 each
  • Wolf Questions. Some questions, marked as W:, are designed to improve the scores of most players, while penalizing a few. Think of them as a Reverse Sheep question with elements of a Sheep Question, or a Wolf culling the Sheepiest of the group. The most common answer is scored via Reverse rules. All other correct answers are scored via Sheep rules. Example below:
    Suppose the question is as follows:

W: Name a fruit.

And the answers were:

The Bus, Pharoh, JasonF, orangecrush18: Blueberry
    Red Dog, Tracer Bullet: Banana
    VinVega, Mordred: Apple
    Venusian: Black

Answers are scored as follows:
    Blueberry: +4
    Banana: -2
    Apple: -2
    Tomato: 0
    Black: +6 (wrong answer)
    The bottom line is you want an answer that is correct and common, but not too common.
  • Slam Dunks {sd} Players have the power of multipliers in their hands. Each player is given five (5) Slam Dunks ({sd}s) which they use by adding {sd} to the end of their answer. You can only use one per question. Slam Dunks have different effects depending on the question you use them in:
    • In Sheep questions, the {sd} adds 1 to the Multiplier. You are allowed to use only one {sd}s per Sheep question.
    • In Reverse Sheep questions, you can use a single {sd} to add +1 to everyone else's Multiplier (who has the same answer as you). If your answer is unique, it will add +2 to the Multiplier for your Unique Bonus. However, if your answer is wrong, it does nothing.
    • In Wolf questions, a {sd} can act in three different ways. For the most common answer, it turns the answer from something that scores Reverse points into a question that scores Sheep points and adds +1 to the Multiplier. For the less-common answers, it adds +1 to the Multiplier. If your answer is wrong, it does nothing.

• This chart may explain it more clearly. As said before, each player has five of these to use per game. When you send in your answers, simply add {sd} to the end of the answer, and I will know that you want that answer to fall under Slam Dunk rules.

The Questions

1. W: Name an enemy in the original Super Mario Bros.
  2. S: Name a non-Sonic game for the Sega Dreamcast.
  3. S: Name the most addicting Flash game available for free on the web.
  4. R: Name a game that has only one of the following words in its title: Guitar, Hero, Rock, Band. (The game Phoenix Bandoman: Ace Attorney is a wrong answer).
  5. W: Name a race playable in World of Warcraft.
  6. R: Name a game series from the NeoทGeo AES/MVS. (The series can still be active in arcades or other handhelds/consoles, but it must have had two or more NeoทGeo installments).
  7. W: Name a video game magazine that has published at least twelve issues.
  8. S: Name a clich้d level type in platformers (ex. swamp world).
  9. R: Name an Xbox 360 or PS3 game that had game-changing, non-free DLC this year. (That is, a $3.99 "new hat" that does nothing in Malibu Stacy Horse Adventures would be a wrong answer).
  10. S: In what year will Sony completely cease production of the Playstation 3? (This includes any versions we haven't seen yet, including PS3 Slim, George Frazier's PS3 Grill-n-Go, etc.)
  11. W: Name a game where you time travel. This can be part of the story or a game mechanic. (Slowing down time or bullet time doesn't count.)
  12. S: Name a game where, before fighting the final boss, you have to fight the level bosses all over again.
  13. W: ื2 Name a game from this generation where the main character you control is female.
  14. R: ื2 Name a game with zombies.
  15. W: ื2 Name a game with exploding barrels.

I don't know what kind of response I will get. This game will run sometime after Jeremy517's Politics game ends.

Good luck!

Last edited by The Bus; 08-18-09 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-18-09, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: (Reverse) Sheep Round 9 — Wolves at the door

Yes!
Old 08-18-09, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Sweet, I wanted to try my hand at running this again but i'm going to be too busy with convention stuff at work this week. At least I'll have some questions in mind for a 10th round after this one.

Last edited by fumanstan; 08-18-09 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-18-09, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

And, just to be clear, here are the new, simpler rules for Slam Dunks:

Note you can only use one per question!
Old 08-18-09, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I don't get #4. What do you mean by "has only one of the following words in its title: Guitar, Hero, Rock, Band."

So no game that is a sequel or has a subtitle would count?
Old 08-18-09, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if 5 people use a {sd} on a reverse question and match each other, the multiple is X4 for each?
Old 08-18-09, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wrong answers for #4 would be:

Guitar Hero
Beatles: Rock Bang
Guitar Band: Rock Hero
Rocky & Bullwinkle
Band-Aid Adventures

Right answers for #4 would be (if these games existed):

Super Mario Guitar Bros.
Villain vs. Hero 3: Ultimate Combat
Identify this Rock: Geography Mama
Band Aid Adventures

etc.
Old 08-18-09, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by orangecrush
So if 5 people use a {sd} on a reverse question and match each other, the multiple is X4 for each?
It's actually ื5 for each, since we add +4 from each other person's answer.
Old 08-18-09, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Got it bus. Now #9, "game changing" DLC?

So any substantial DLC that is not merely cosmetic?
Old 08-18-09, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Correct. Wrong answers would include premium themes, new icons, costumes that are only cosmetic, etc.
Old 08-18-09, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Slam Dunks should be called cheat codes or something. Or perhaps Game Genie.
Old 08-18-09, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

A lot of rehashed questions, no?
Old 08-18-09, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fumanstan
A lot of rehashed questions, no?
Yes, except they are now a different type of question. (For example, the Mario one was a Reverse answer previously).
Old 08-18-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Last question about #4 (to avoid future debates), do pluralized versions of those words count or does the game need one of those specific words spelled to the T?
Old 08-18-09, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

#2 is a very good quesiton. I wrote my answer down and then imdiatly thought of 2 other really good answers.
Old 08-18-09, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The Excel link isn't working. I don't know if it's just not there yet or if you mistyped something.
Old 08-18-09, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

It should be up soon. My site seems to be down.
Old 08-18-09, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Last question about #4 (to avoid future debates), do pluralized versions of those words count or does the game need one of those specific words spelled to the T?
I've made the answer to that pretty clear.
Old 08-18-09, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

In a number of these I can't decide if my clever answer is going to be the obvious one.
Old 08-18-09, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I changed my answer to #15 about 5 times before just saying 'screw it' and submitting. Too many good answers.
Old 08-18-09, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sent my answers in. Piking the {sd}s wasn't very easy. Also, the more I think about it, there are a lot of games with zombies in them. I wonder why it is such a popular character type?
Old 08-18-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush
Sent my answers in. Piking the {sd}s wasn't very easy. Also, the more I think about it, there are a lot of games with zombies in them. I wonder why it is such a popular character type?
It gives you a chance to shoot people-like targets without them being human beings.
Old 08-18-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Had no idea what sort of strategy to use for the slam dunk, so I basically just pasted it at random after 5 answers...

As for the Dreamcast one, that one gave me fits! I could think of 30 great reverse sheep answers, but nothing for sheep! Which is why I loved that system... a lotta quirk
Old 08-18-09, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl
It gives you a chance to shoot people-like targets without them being human beings.
That makes sense for older games, but why are there so many in newer games?
Old 08-18-09, 12:21 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

For the zombie question, I assume we are not distinguishing between fantasy zombies (i.e. the undead) and sci-fi zombies (i.e. some plague/virus/whatever causes people to shamble around trying to eat each other)?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.