Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man 5 & 6 - News, Rumors, Etc

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-09, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Probably want to split this up in the future (or not). Depending on what happens... read on, webslingers...

Sony sets writer to spin 'Spider-Man'
James Vanderbilt to pen upcoming sequels
By MICHAEL FLEMING

As Sony Pictures Entertainment preps a fourth installment of "Spider-Man" to begin production early next year, the studio has quietly engaged screenwriter James Vanderbilt to pen "Spider-Man 5" and "Spider-Man 6."

Vanderbilt was the first writer on "Spider-Man 4." Director Sam Raimi brought on "Rabbit Hole" playwright David Lindsay-Abaire to rewrite him, and Gary Ross is now rewriting that script. The studio is enthusiastic about where it stands as the picture begins prepping for an early 2010 production start for a May 2011 release.

Raimi didn't embrace all of Vanderbilt's ideas, but execs at Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios have. Vanderbilt has been hired to pen the fifth and sixth movies, which have an interconnected storyline. That's what was originally discussed when Vanderbilt signed on to write "Spider-Man 4," but the idea of shooting a fourth and fifth film back to back with the original cast was scrapped.

Sources said it was unclear whether Raimi, Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst will be back. If they aren't, Vanderbilt's script would be the blueprint for a franchise reboot. After committing to his fourth "Spider-Man" film, Raimi signed on to direct a new franchise based on the massively multiplayer role-playing online computer game "World of Warcraft" for Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros. Maguire and Dunst were locked into the first three pictures and made a new deal for "Spider-Man 4." It's unclear how long they want to continue with the series.

Then again, Raimi was initially doubtful for "Spider-Man 4" because he expected to direct "The Hobbit," but returned after Guillermo del Toro got the job.

Why is Vanderbilt writing when so many variables are undecided?

The most important thing is for Sony to prime the "Spider-Man" pump more frequently. The lapse between films has grown with each blockbuster. The second film came only two years after the first, but it took three years for a third installment, and four years will have passed when "Spider-Man 4" opens in summer 2011.

Sony Pictures toppers Amy Pascal and Michael Lynton may well have a new franchise following last weekend's strong opening of "District 9." And after "Angels and Demons" grossed some $500 million worldwide, they will certainly move forward and extend the "Da Vinci Code" franchise with an adaptation of Dan Brown's fall publishing release, "The Lost Symbol." But "Spider-Man" remains the studio's most important film franchise, and Sony doesn't want to wait half a decade for the next outing.

While the "Spider-Man" movie business is booming, Sony has widenedits footprint on the franchise and become one of the investors in the Broadway musical version of the webslinger; the "Spider-Man, Turn off the Dark" tuner recently experienced a funding hiccup on the way to a planned March premiere.

Although there's been speculation that the show, which will cost upward of $35 million to produce, may not get off the ground, the project is too important to the "Spider-Man" partners to be tabled, sources said. The musical has "The Lion King" director Julie Taymor and songs by U2's Bono and the Edge.

Vanderbilt's most recent script credits are the Sylvain White-directed "The Losers" for Warner Bros. and David Fincher's "Zodiac."

He's repped by WME and Fuse Entertainment.

Milking the franchise for all they can......
Old 08-17-09, 12:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Spider-Man 5 & 6 - News, Rumors, Etc

I always liked Carnage but I am still not sure if they could make him work in the movie-verse of Spidey.
I really hope we get someone other than Raimi to do 5 and 6 though. We need something fresh so as far as I am concerned Raimi and dunst are disposable. McGuire I think does a good job but if hes not back I wouldnt boycott it. I would kinda like it if they killed off MJ in 4 or 5 and brought in Black Cat or something. MJ is kinda played out already at this point it seems.
And please no more shitty Rosemarry harris wise old lady monologues . out of all the fantastical elements in the first 3 spider-man movies that is what made my eyes roll the most.
Old 08-17-09, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

i'm all for milking the franchise.....as long as it doesn't turn out like the shit that was Spiderman 3.
Old 08-17-09, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No surprises here. Personally, regardless of the quality of S4, I'd be ok with seeing a new team in charge. Raimi needs to move on, Dunst needs to be gone and Tobey I don't really care either way. Bring in Gyllenhaal and get it on a new track.
Old 08-17-09, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd be in for the idea of a franchise reboot. I think after 3 films, and the quality of the third installment, the current Spidey-verse is getting stale. Just don't, for God's sake, don't make the fourth film another version of the origin story.
Old 08-17-09, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

At this point, I don't see a need for a reboot of Spidey's origin... but new creative blood would be a welcomed change. Just look at the direction the Potter or Bond franchises have taken with different directors. It's just a shame that Sony couldn't forsee tying cast up for a prolonged series.
Old 08-17-09, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see the need to reboot a franchise that is only 7 years old.
Old 08-17-09, 02:54 PM
Banned

The should turn the Kraven the Hunter storyline into a spidey film.
Old 08-17-09, 03:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't reboot, just change some faces. Audiences will accept it.
Old 08-17-09, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I think the phrase "franchise reboot" needs to be reserved for series that have gone AT LEAST 15-20 years between movies, not ones less than a decade old.
Old 08-17-09, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Raimi doesn't use The Lizard for the 4th film, I don't know if we'll ever see him.
Old 08-17-09, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Don't reboot, just change some faces. Audiences will accept it.
Agreed.