Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

ABC to make a "St Elmo's Fire" TV Show....

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-09, 12:25 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

ABC has the hots for "St. Elmo's Fire," a contemporary take on the 1985 movie that launched the filmmaking career of Joel Schumacher.

After strong interest from multiple networks, ABC landed the dramedy series project, exec produced by Schumacher, Topher Grace, Dan Bucatinsky and Jamie Tarses and to be written by Bucatinsky.

"Fire," which has received a script commitment with a penalty attached to it, hails from Sony Pictures TV, whose feature sibling owns the rights to the original movie.

That film, co-written and directed by Schumacher, was one of the defining movies of the Brat Pack genre. It starred Emilio Estevez, Rob Lowe, Andrew McCarthy, Demi Moore, Judd Nelson, Ally Sheedy and Mare Winningham as friends who had just graduated from Georgetown University and chronicled their adjustment to adulthood.

"More than anything, the movie evokes a feeling that doesn't go away," Bucatinsky said, "the feeling of bonding with your friends who become your surrogate family."

Added Grace, "It's the feeling of that time in your life when everything is possible but you can't figure out how to make it possible."

The series version will use the movie as a takeoff point and as an inspiration as it introduces six new friends: three boys and three girls.

What will remain is the setting -- Georgetown and St. Elmo's Bar & Restaurant, now called St. Elmo's Bar & Grill, where the friends hang out. And if the set-up looks a little bit like "Friends," that's OK with Bucatinsky.

"I feel it is time to re-create 'Friends' in the hourlong genre and feel like this is the perfect opportunity," he said.

Grace and his Sargent Hall Prods. producing partner Gordon Kaywin got the idea to do a contemporary TV series based on "Fire" when the two came across the movie on TV.

They took the idea for what would be their first TV show to Sony TV and the studio-based Tarses who, as an NBC executive, developed "Friends" and found "Fire," a more dramatic version, intriguing.

The trio recruited Bucatinsky, who has a blind script deal at Sony, and the group reached out to Schumacher, who also came onboard.

Eighties' remakes are hot at the broadcast networks this coming season with the launches of contemporary versions of "Parenthood" and "V."

Bucatinsky and Schumacher are repped by CAA. Grace, who is filming "Valentine's Day," is repped by WME, Brillstein Entertainment and attorney Michael Gendler.
Old 08-14-09, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: ABC to make a "St Elmo's Fire" TV Show....

Awful, awful, awful. I love Dan Bucatinsky but this stinks.

Old 08-14-09, 12:33 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Topher "Venom" Grace? PASS
Old 08-14-09, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if they use the end of the movie as a starting point, how were they all transported from the 80's to 2009?
I was around the same age as the characters when I first saw the movies in 85 and thought not a great movie, I enjoyed the characters.
If done right, this could be a good show about growing up but remember the first season of Melrose Place. It wasn't very intersting until Amanda came in and started trouble.
Old 08-14-09, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This idea sounds stupid and I wonder if Topher Grace got inspiration from delayed movie Young Americans which is set in the 1980's.
Old 08-14-09, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gee, this and also "Eastwick" based on Witches of Eastwick. What? ABC is reviving rejected pilots from the 80's?

If they want to do something worthwhile, bring back Twin Peaks for a 3rd season!
Old 08-14-09, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Meh. I never really cared for St. Elmos but then I was only 14 when it came out. I appreciated the HS 80s movies.

If they have Topher Grace, just go back to the That 70s Show universe and move it forward to the mid-80s. Bring back Red too.
Old 08-14-09, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll watch if they dress in 80s fashion.
Old 08-14-09, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Been there, done that. Too many shows in this genre with 20-something college kids.