DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Porcupine Tree - The Incident 9/14/09

macnorton
08-12-09, 09:58 AM
I for one am very excited. I recently got into the band and got every track I could get my hands on.

Now the new album is coming out with a deluxe edition limited to 1,000 copies:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/theincident/

I ordered mine a couple days ago. Very happy Roadrunner didn't screw fans by releasing it 6 months later, as is their custom.

edclem
08-12-09, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the heads up!
I couldn't justify the $ of the limited version, but pre-ordered the standard 2 disc.

I discovered Porcupine Tree on their In Absentia tour when they were touring with Opeth. PT is just a phenomenal band.

LiquidSky
08-12-09, 02:06 PM
Groovy. Thanks for the info.

bunkaroo
08-12-09, 02:13 PM
Yep this has been on my radar for a while now. My favorite band. Not getting the deluxe thing though. There will inevitably be a separate 5.1 release and I'll just get that in addition to the standard release day CD. Only a month to go!

comanche_doyle
08-12-09, 02:27 PM
yes please

macnorton
08-12-09, 03:28 PM
I did go for the deluxe edition...I am a sucker for that stuff, plus I missed out on the Steven Wilson one (but there is always eBay).

Also, for those wondering, the 5.1 mixes are fucking incredible. I got "Fear of a Blank Planet"...wow. Steven Wilson really knows his craft. I recommend that one (and I am sure the others are on par, if not better).

And I recommend the Steven Wilson solo album in 5.1 as well.

Ravenous
08-12-09, 03:48 PM
$106 is retarded.

Love PT but wont spend that money just to have it 5.1. I hope they do a seperate release (and with Roadrunner, thats a high probabilty). I cant wait for the CD!

And why is FoaBP so hard to find in 5.1 :mad:

macnorton
08-12-09, 03:55 PM
$106 is retarded.

Love PT but wont spend that money just to have it 5.1. I hope they do a seperate release (and with Roadrunner, thats a high probabilty). I cant wait for the CD!

I can help you out with that one:

http://www.burningshed.com/store/porcupinetree/product/51/639/

Rypro 525
08-12-09, 04:21 PM
for us lucky bastards
Sep 15 2009 SEATTLE, USA: Moore Theater
Sep 16 2009 PORTLAND, USA: Roseland
Sep 18 2009 SAN FRANCISCO: Warfield
Sep 19 2009 LOS ANGELES, USA: Club Nokia
Sep 21 2009 CLEVELAND, USA: House of Blues
Sep 22 2009 CHICAGO, USA: Vic Theater
Sep 24 2009 NEW YORK, USA: Terminal 5
Sep 25 2009 BALTIMORE, USA: Ram's Head
Sep 26 2009 PHILADELPHIA, USA: Electric Factory
Sep 27 2009 BOSTON, USA: House of Blues
Sep 29 2009 MONTREAL, Canada: Metropolis
Sep 30 2009 TORONTO, Canada: Queen

tickets are 26 bucks at rams head

porieux
08-12-09, 05:25 PM
I would love to buy the high resolution version for a reasonable price (DVD-A I am assuming) but certainly not for anywhere near $106.

Ravenous
08-12-09, 05:51 PM
I can help you out with that one:

http://www.burningshed.com/store/porcupinetree/product/51/639/

I always forget about PTs store. 10 gbp isnt too shabby; and I think it includes Nil Recurring on there.

Thanks

macnorton
08-12-09, 07:56 PM
I always forget about PTs store. 10 gbp isnt too shabby; and I think it includes Nil Recurring on there.

Thanks

Yes it does include the EP, which is also in 5.1.

SFranke
08-12-09, 09:22 PM
$106 is retarded.

The 5.1 release will most likely come from Burning Shed.

I'm holding out for that release because of SW's annoying habit of releasing bonus tracks on DVDs months after the initial release. The 2-disc CD probably has all the tracks on there, but I'm still hedging my bet.

mndtrp
08-13-09, 06:49 AM
I'll definitely be getting this one. Too bad they aren't coming through here on this tour.

LiquidSky
08-13-09, 08:35 AM
I saw them on their last tour. I still can't believe they played Nashville! :) Great show!

orangecrush
08-13-09, 09:42 AM
2009 is turning out to be a very good year for me. Many of my favorite bands have/are puting out new records this year: mewithoutYou, Thrice, Muse and now PT. :dance:

Ravenous
08-13-09, 03:22 PM
I cant believe these dudes never come to Texas. I think the only time they did was when I was in Alaska. My only hope is they open for Opeth on a tour

rmorgan
08-13-09, 10:37 PM
I would love to buy the high resolution version for a reasonable price (DVD-A I am assuming) but certainly not for anywhere near $106.

Don't worry, this version isn't "high resolution" - it's a standard DVD with DTS audio. Much like Fear of a Blank Planet, and true DVD Audio will probably be released through Burning Shed down the road.

Jack Straw
08-16-09, 09:14 PM
I'm going to the L.A. show on 9/19 (Club Nokia). It will be my 2nd time seeing PT, as I caught them last time in on the FoaBP tour in L.A/Hollywood venue (can't recall name). A great band to see perform in the flesh.

porieux
08-17-09, 08:59 PM
Don't worry, this version isn't "high resolution" - it's a standard DVD with DTS audio. Much like Fear of a Blank Planet, and true DVD Audio will probably be released through Burning Shed down the road.

So when they say "high quality resolution stereo" on the order page that's just not true? I wasn't going to order anyway but if someone pays over $100 you would hope it includes what it says it includes.

Thanks for the info though.

rmorgan
08-17-09, 10:34 PM
So when they say "high quality resolution stereo" on the order page that's just not true? I wasn't going to order anyway but if someone pays over $100 you would hope it includes what it says it includes.

Thanks for the info though.

I guess the stereo track, but not the 5.1, will be considered "high resolution." However, the point remains that a better release, but still containing audio playable on all DVD players, will probably be available from Burning Shed next year. And, for a lot less than $100.

Rypro 525
08-17-09, 11:42 PM
I cant believe these dudes never come to Texas. I think the only time they did was when I was in Alaska. My only hope is they open for Opeth on a tour

i'm not sure if those 2 would mesh with the same fan base imo (granted, opeth did open for Dream Theater last year, so anything goes really)

and the opening band for this tour is Kings X

macnorton
08-18-09, 09:27 AM
i'm not sure if those 2 would mesh with the same fan base imo (granted, opeth did open for Dream Theater last year, so anything goes really)

and the opening band for this tour is Kings X

Now this I might have to go see. King's X is a band that gets ZERO respect and they fully deserve it. If you haven't heard them, do yourself a favor and grab Gretchen Goes To Nebraska and or Dogman.

Ravenous
08-18-09, 03:33 PM
Good thing I got the Arriving Somewhere DVD, Ill never seen these assholes live :mad: Im gonna send Steve Wilson an angry email

PorcTreeHugger
08-20-09, 06:12 PM
First post, hello everyone...just wanted to clear up some things.

Porcupine Tree has played Texas twice. They visited Houston in 2005 and they came to Houston and Dallas in 2007. I went to both Houston shows. The first one was better than the second one because of the venue (in my opinion). I am almost positive they will be back for this tour, but it will be early next year. Probably January or February.

As far as Porcupine Tree and Opeth, they did tour together in 2003 or 2004...I can't remember which. Opeth were promoting Damnation and the Tree were promoting In Absentia. Steven Wilson produced, mixed, sung backing vocals, played some guitar, and all keyboard parts on Blackwater Park, Deliverence, and Damnation. He also wrote the lyrics for "Death Whispered A Lullabye." If any of you are unfamiliar with Opeth.

The last two albums deluxe editions came with only DVD-V discs just as The Incident will. I don't think Steven is doing it to rape anyone's wallets. They are producing and selling the DVD-A themselves, I don't believe Roadrunner has anything to do with the DVD-Audio disc. Plus the DVD-A will probably have some extras, like the Time Flies video for instance.

There are some new pics of the deluxe edition to wet the whistle at Roadrunner's UK News section and at The Omega Order's preorder page.

mndtrp
09-09-09, 07:43 PM
Coming out next week, don't forget!

Jippy
09-09-09, 09:56 PM
Now this I might have to go see. King's X is a band that gets ZERO respect and they fully deserve it. If you haven't heard them, do yourself a favor and grab Gretchen Goes To Nebraska and or Dogman.

QFT

I saw them as an opening act when Satriani and Dream Theater toured back in 2002. I had pit seats and basically got to lean on the stage directly in front of Ty's pedal board. Absolutely amazing band.

macnorton
09-10-09, 10:56 AM
QFT

I saw them as an opening act when Satriani and Dream Theater toured back in 2002. I had pit seats and basically got to lean on the stage directly in front of Ty's pedal board. Absolutely amazing band.

Same here. I saw them at PNC awesome show and band.

Ravenous
09-10-09, 07:32 PM
Coming out next week, don't forget!

Couldnt if I tried. REALLY looking forward to Tuesday, for this and other reasons :D

Im sure itll be as good as FOABP or better. The In Absentia/Deadwing phase should be gone.

mndtrp
09-13-09, 06:50 PM
I liked Deadwing. Arriving Somewhere But Not Here is awesome.

Ravenous
09-14-09, 04:24 AM
Oh hell yea, it makes the album. Lazarus though is one of, if not the worst PT song ever.

$10 this week at Best Buy. A steal!

bunkaroo
09-14-09, 01:43 PM
Been saturation listening to this since last week. Wasn't sure what to make of it after the first listen but I think I've come around to it faster than I did FoaBP. Besides the main piece, the 4 standalone songs are really great too. There's some really LOW tuning stuff on this record too - I'm thinking baritone guitars. Drums and bass kill as usual.

It really has a different flavor than anything else they've done IMO. Pretty much every record is like that - that's what makes them so great.

bunkaroo
09-15-09, 06:44 PM
So anyone get this today?

macnorton
09-15-09, 07:56 PM
So anyone get this today?

My deluxe edition came today, but my digital download came yesterday. The album is killer. I prefer disc one, but the second disc is very good.

I agree with your previous comment...this is just a natural progression for the band.

Plan on listen to the 5.1 mix tomorrow, more details to follow.

mndtrp
09-15-09, 08:00 PM
I picked it up, but have only listened to half of it. At this point, I don't have any opinion.

bunkaroo
09-15-09, 10:43 PM
The title track is killer - love the low guitars. Bonnie the Cat is also really cool - not what I was expecting from a song with that name!

flagstone
10-23-09, 03:43 PM
For those of you with iTunes, I see that "Time Flies" is the free video download of the week from the iTunes Store.

Ravenous
10-23-09, 03:49 PM
Gotta say the CD is a HUGE step down from FoaBP. Its not relly bad but not great either; just there.

StatMan79
10-24-09, 05:53 PM
For those of you with iTunes, I see that "Time Flies" is the free video download of the week from the iTunes Store.

Thanks for the heads up on this.

Jack Straw
10-25-09, 03:32 PM
I didn't care for this one after the first few spins. But after seeing them perform it live in entirety, and giving it a few more tries, it is really great! It's obviously intended as a continuous piece of music instead of individual tracks grouped onto an album. Standout tracks are Blind House, Draw The Line, Time Flies (obviously), and the title track.

This is the video-guitar Steve Wilson used on "Draw The Line":

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/thgord/stage4B.jpg

bunkaroo
10-25-09, 04:16 PM
Cool!

Yeah my first listen or two I thought it was inferior to FoaBP but now I firmly feel it's the better of the two, but still not quite up there with DW and IA. But that's arguing degrees of greatness. :)

mndtrp
10-25-09, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I suppose even a "bad" PT album is still miles above just about everything else.

That's not to say The Incident is a bad album.