Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Question About Discs

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-09, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question About Discs

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but....

Does the hole in a DVD disc serve any other purposes that fitting on the spindle of the case or for picking up the disc without getting fingerprints on the disc?

The reason I am asking is that I got a dvd set and it's unbelievable how tight they are on the spindles. You nearly have to bend the disc in half getting it off. I am sure it's just a matter of time before one cracks or snaps.

I was thinking about running an exacto blade along the inside of the hole to try and remove a fraction of an inch so they would fit better but don't know if this will cause a problem in playing the disc.

Thanks,

James
Old 08-11-09, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Question About Discs

When the disc is in your player it has to spin in order to play, it spins be being placed onto an arm, that goes through that hole. If it's loose or off balance you can have issues with the disc playing. I wouldn't mess with the hole.
Old 08-11-09, 07:37 AM

Thanks, I was afarid that was the answer.

It would be great if someone sold a "pencil sharpener" thing for the spindles. LOL!

Anyway I guess I will have to look for replacement cases as I am sure one of the discs will eventually snap. And I am also sure that the extreme bending can't be good for the disc anyway.

James
Old 08-11-09, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Instead of messing with the disc, try to find a way to make the spindle slightly smaller.
Old 08-11-09, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JamesDFarrow
I am also sure that the extreme bending can't be good for the disc anyway.
Bending is never a good idea. Make sure you're actually working the spindle properly. Many need to be pressed down on to release the disc easier. Also, try spinning the disc while lifting which sometimes helps rotate it off with less bending. If the spindle has little tabs, try pressing inward on them. I've seen some people overlook the obvious when removing discs when it can be done much more safely.
Old 08-11-09, 09:02 AM

Thanks!

It's a 19 disc box set (MidSomer Murders: The Early Cases) that has 10 plastic pages with a disc on each side of the page. 20 sides in total for 19 discs. The last page it not used. There is no button release thing or anything like that. And you can't really push down on the page while lifting as it would put pressure on the discs underneath. The worse set-up I have ever seen.

I think I have to get 5 "Quadruple DVD Case" replacement cases. I found some that are 19 cm x 13.5 cm x 1.3 cm and x 5 equals 6.5 cm wide.
The outer cardboard box for the set can take 6.8 cm so it will fit that way.
But the inside case I have now is 18.8 cm so am not sure it will fit (enough give) in the outside box that way or not.

Will have to hunt around some more.

James
Old 08-11-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
When the disc is in your player it has to spin in order to play, it spins be being placed onto an arm, that goes through that hole. If it's loose or off balance you can have issues with the disc playing. I wouldn't mess with the hole.
I agree. Leave your hole alone.
Old 08-11-09, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Instead of messing with the disc, try to find a way to make the spindle slightly smaller.
This. I've heard other folks mention over the years to take another disc you don't care about hurting (like a CD-r from a failed burn), and once you get the good DVD off, take the bad disc and just work the spindle over and over several times until it's loosened up enough that it will "give" a little better.
Old 08-11-09, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
This. I've heard other folks mention over the years to take another disc you don't care about hurting (like a CD-r from a failed burn), and once you get the good DVD off, take the bad disc and just work the spindle over and over several times until it's loosened up enough that it will "give" a little better.
Thanks! That's a great idea.

James
Old 08-12-09, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedy1961
I agree. Leave your hole alone.
And other people's holes too for that matter. Pro-tip.
Old 08-12-09, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

A tighter hole is better. If the hole gets loose, the disk can flop around in there, and cause quite a mess inside the slot.