Search this Thread

Old 08-06-09, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Burn Notice -- "Long Way Back" -- Summer Finale -- 8/6/09

Burn Notice

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Fiona is targeted by a dangerous man from her past, forcing Michael to team up with her brother to save her.

Last episode until early 2010.
Old 08-06-09, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Burn Notice -- "Long Way Back" -- Summer Finale -- 8/6/09

This sound like the answer to an EW Blind Riddle (which I can't find because it is blocked at work), but the summary of the riddle is basically:

Spoiler:
A major character for one of our favorite summer shows gets shot by a relative

As the clue mentioned something about sunglasses, it wasn't hard to guess that it would be this show.
Old 08-06-09, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ I thought I heard that there would be some exploration of Fiona's background and family, maybe it's one of her relatives? Unless Michael's mom is going to shoot someone (unlikely).

I'm sad it's the summer finale because I love BN on Thursdays but I'm so anxious to see this episode, it's going to be total awesomeness.
Old 08-06-09, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I think they really had no choice in spliting the season. The U.S. Open (tennis) is coming up at the end of the month and that would pre-empt it. Also, it's last few episodes would start to air in mid September when the Fall season on the networks is launched and I don't think USA wants to compete with them.
Old 08-06-09, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

After the initial feeling of "over already?", the split season philosophy isn't that bad... I remember seeing the finale last season (was it March?) and thinking pretty cool that this thing starts up again in the summer.

It's a question of one long break or 2 shorter breaks... the break let's you try out the fall shows, while USA avoids the comptetition and after you sift through the crap that the major broadcast networks are putting out, you have BN coming back on in Jan.

Looking forward to the finale - I'm guessing they will be setting up the story arc for the next 1/2 season. (or at least hoping)
Old 08-06-09, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

You make a great point, wirefan. But I'm still gomma miss my regular fix of Fiona.
Old 08-07-09, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This was a great episode. "The job" part was underdeveloped compared to a regular ep, but only because they had to shoehorn so much action.

The Strickland stuff was a fun ride, but you really have to shut your brain off to enjoy it. The ending also works very well, if you ignore the fact that this is like the 3rd time they killed off a bunch of people from the previous arc and started anew with a mysterious agency/group out to get Micheal.
Old 08-07-09, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
This was a great episode. "The job" part was underdeveloped compared to a regular ep, but only because they had to shoehorn so much action.

I felt the opposite. I didn't care for this episode for exactly that reason. Too much shoot-em-up and not much strategy/planning.

I'm tired of the overall background shadowy organizations 'after' Michael arc.
Old 08-07-09, 08:23 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

I liked it...some decent back story and a total game changer ending.

Looking forward to the winter set.
Old 08-07-09, 12:27 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

I was disappointed that they killed Strickland. I thought they could have taken that character a lot farther and in the end he's just a way to get the next shadowy group after Michael.
Old 08-07-09, 01:38 PM

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
I was disappointed that they killed Strickland. I thought they could have taken that character a lot farther and in the end he's just a way to get the next shadowy group after Michael.
I totally agree. Also this is the first time I can remember Micheal actually killing some one. I'm sure it's happened in the past but I can't remember when. Usually they set up the person for the police to arrest or "be taken care of" by other criminals.
Old 08-07-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdogg
Also this is the first time I can remember Micheal actually killing some one. I'm sure it's happened in the past but I can't remember when. Usually they set up the person for the police to arrest or "be taken care of" by other criminals.
You know I was shocked too when Michael just shot him like that. I think you're right though. I can't recall that ever happening before.

Great episode. On to next January!
Old 08-07-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree about Strickland too. Just like with the cop earlier this season it seems they just pulled the plug on the storyline without ever fully developing it. And I'm still left wonder if they have a master plan or are they just flying by the seat of their pants.
Old 08-07-09, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by rfduncan
You know I was shocked too when Michael just shot him like that. I think you're right though. I can't recall that ever happening before.

That's exactly why I liked it. I didn't see it coming and it showed how much he cares about Fiona. Mainly the show's a little on the bubble gum side in terms of all the guns and ammo, more A-Team at times than The Shield at times, but when the loved one of a trained spy gets kidnapped, it didn't strike me as unrealistic Michael would shoot the guy.
Old 08-07-09, 09:24 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

fantastic episode... awesome to see Michael kick some serious ass...
Old 08-07-09, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's about time Michael killed somebody, rather than setting them up to be killed. The man is trained in covert ops, surely he's got blood on his hands. Didn't he kill someone in the pilot episode, just before being burned?

I liked his Irish accent, although it was a little too sure and begorrah.
Old 08-08-09, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

So he's pretty much officially burned for good now, right?
Old 08-08-09, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by uteotw
That's exactly why I liked it. I didn't see it coming and it showed how much he cares about Fiona. Mainly the show's a little on the bubble gum side in terms of all the guns and ammo, more A-Team at times than The Shield at times, but when the loved one of a trained spy gets kidnapped, it didn't strike me as unrealistic Michael would shoot the guy.

I thought for sure he was just going to knock the gun out of his hand, get into some kind of hand to hand fight with the guy and knock him down long enough so he could run and try to find Fi.

While I liked Strickland character, I was pretty satisfied with how it ended. Look forward to Jan to seeing how they handle the overall Michal's story arc going forward.
Old 08-08-09, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I was expecting more from the Strickland character but when he went into his anti-Fiona rant, I knew Michael was gonna take him down. At first I didn't expect him to kill him (though I really wanted him to do so) but when Michael got that cold look in his eyes, I knew Strickland was toast.

I just hope the winter set has more focus. Although I prefer the caper-of-the-week episodes, they set up this season as if all bets were off and nothing has really come of that.
Old 08-08-09, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree that this summer set has suffered from a lack of direction. If I had to hear the same scene repeated between Michael and Fiona about how she was disapproving about his hopes to get back in, I was going to pull the remainder of my hair out.

With that said, I think shows occasionally have to move away from heavy arcs to give the audience a chance to breathe. I think that's what they were trying to do here, and I imagine it will pay off in the winter.
Old 08-08-09, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

I just liked the fact that they remembered that Fiona is Irish.
Old 08-08-09, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just for the record: the guy Michael killed was named Strickler, not Strickland.

Pretty good "summer" finale, but I also prefer the Caper of the Week episodes. Hope they get back to those.
Old 08-09-09, 02:06 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush
I just liked the fact that they remembered that Fiona is Irish.
Every week during the opening, they play a clip of Fiona saying "Miami" in the pilot, and every week, without fail, I turn to my wife and say "Moyami" in the thickest Irish accent I can muster.
Old 08-09-09, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Fiona's voice sometimes slips and she has a little Irish come through, though I do not know if this is intentional or just that Gabrielle Anwar can't hide her natural accent too well.
Old 08-09-09, 10:24 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Anwar is actually from London, so if she's letting a bit of Irish brogue slip through, it's intentional.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.