Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : So is it bad to have a fan blow all night?

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
08-05-09, 11:59 PM
Well, I got the Vornado fan, which circulates the air pretty good, so at night, i stick it on the window, and then let it blow cool air at me all night long. It's not really pointed at me directly, but it circulates the air pretty good, so I can feel a gentle breeze. But i was talking to someone, who said that it's not good to have the fan blowing all night, but they couldn't explain why...i don't know why it'd be a bad thing to have a fan blowing all night long?

Supermallet
08-06-09, 12:19 AM
I have a fan that I use all night during the summer, because my house has no AC and it gets hot here in Los Angeles. I also don't see why it would be bad.

Mole177
08-06-09, 12:20 AM
having a fan blow air from outside is fine.

A/C on all night is bad as it makes humidity too low.

kitkat
08-06-09, 12:25 AM
Are they Korean? (http://www.snopes.com/medical/freakish/fandeath.asp)

JumpCutz
08-06-09, 12:38 AM
I keep a small oscillating fan on all night...even in the winter.

White noise coupled with a cool breeze. :thumbsup:

DeltaSigChi4
08-06-09, 12:53 AM
A/C on all night is bad as it makes humidity too low.

You obviously have never been to Las Vegas, Phoenix, Baghdad ....

E

JP5683
08-06-09, 12:54 AM
I've left a fan on all night and woken up with a runny nose and scratchy throat.

Tarantino
08-06-09, 01:02 AM
If I had fans, I'd let them blow me all night long.

benh911
08-06-09, 01:22 AM
Anything that blows all night can not be bad.

Nick Danger
08-06-09, 05:12 AM
You shouldn't allow the fan in the window to blow all night because you'll get nocturnal miasmas. It's caused by the night air. Night air is bad air.

GatorDeb
08-06-09, 05:51 AM
Live in Vegas. I have a fan pointed at me as much as I can, while I sleep, watch TV, Internet, etc. Sometimes I have a blanket and the fan because I like how it cools my face. Most of the time I have it on the lowest setting and it's one of those cheapy $20 stand-up fans from that hardware store that isn't Home Depot.

We have the A/C on all the time, and having fans allows the air to be set higher (80 or so).

Rockmjd23
08-06-09, 06:10 AM
You shouldn't allow the fan in the window to blow all night because you'll get nocturnal miasmas.
I used to get those when I was a teenager.

SterlingBen
08-06-09, 07:17 AM
I have noticed when my fans get dusty I can wake up in the morning with a swore throat but otherwise I have been doing this for the last decade or so with no ill affects otherwise.

stingermck
08-06-09, 07:19 AM
After 4 years in a college dorm room, with no A/C but 2 fans blowing all night, that I would die without, I would say its ok.

FiveO
08-06-09, 07:24 AM

This...

FiveO
08-06-09, 07:26 AM
I have noticed when my fans get dusty I can wake up in the morning with a swore throat but otherwise I have been doing this for the last decade or so with no ill affects otherwise.

Same here.

About once a month I fire up the air compressor in the garage and use it to clean both of my indoor fans.

One of my tower oscillating fans is 8 years old and still going strong.

cpgator
08-06-09, 07:30 AM
You are supposed to keep a fan blowing at night in a baby's room to keep the air circulating, though not necessarily directly on the baby. This is supposed to lower the risk of SIDS.

orangecrush
08-06-09, 07:42 AM
If you are a mouth breather, then the only risk is a sore throat.

Brian Shannon
08-06-09, 07:54 AM
Bad for you?
Bad for the fan?
Bad for the room?

But i was talking to someone, who said that it's not good to have the fan blowing all night, but they couldn't explain why

Sounds like the nightly news cast

jeffbase34
08-06-09, 07:55 AM

It's a life saver for people like me who suffer from tinnitus. I wouldn't be able to go to sleep frorm the ringing in my ears otherwise.

4KRG
08-06-09, 10:41 AM
I leave my vornado on from May to September :)

However, I can't have a fan blow on my face all night, it messes with my sinuses and gives me a runny nose. I guess each person has a preference :)

jiffy97
08-06-09, 10:46 AM
My kids stayed over my ex-in-law's house the other night. It was hot and humid. There was no AC. The kids were told they couldn't leave a fan on all night because "the fan might start a fire".

Stupid people are funny unless you are/were related to them.

Mopower
08-06-09, 10:46 AM
I have one on all night but usually just for the noise.

The Bus
08-06-09, 11:10 AM
The ceiling fan in my room has been on for the past six years continuously, with the exception of the times I stop it to clean it.

Red Dog
08-06-09, 11:11 AM

Same here. Year round.

Th0r S1mpson
08-06-09, 11:14 AM
It's probably only bad for your electric bill.

DarthVong
08-06-09, 11:38 AM

Same here! :thumbsup:

Blu Man
08-06-09, 11:42 AM

That's what I've done for the past two years. I've used the same fan also. The noise helps me sleep, and the cool air isn't bad either.

Ghym
08-06-09, 12:10 PM
Right now, I actually have two Vornados in my bedroom that I run all night. I've always run a fan when I sleep for the white noise, but running 2 Vornados is a lot cheaper than running my AC all night.

Cardsfan111
08-06-09, 12:17 PM
The ceiling fan in my room has been on for the past six years continuously, with the exception of the times I stop it to clean it.

Thanks for the reminder, Bus. I just glanced up at my ceiling fan and the dust is atrocious!

ElementZ
08-06-09, 12:33 PM
I have a fan in my room, unsure of the name, but it has a sleep timer on it which comes in handy. My old fan was great when I went to sleep, until I woke up halfway through the night freezing. My new fan has a remote plus a sleep timer so I can set it to turn off at a certain point in the night.

pjflyer
08-06-09, 01:30 PM
Well, I got the Vornado fan, which circulates the air pretty good, so at night, i stick it on the window, and then let it blow cool air at me all night long. It's not really pointed at me directly, but it circulates the air pretty good, so I can feel a gentle breeze. But i was talking to someone, who said that it's not good to have the fan blowing all night, but they couldn't explain why...i don't know why it'd be a bad thing to have a fan blowing all night long?

It depends. Does it circulate the air well or pretty good?

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
08-06-09, 01:54 PM
it circulates decently. i just blow it into the middle of the room, and i feel a very gentle breeze in my bed.

Deftones
08-06-09, 02:00 PM
You are supposed to keep a fan blowing at night in a baby's room to keep the air circulating, though not necessarily directly on the baby. This is supposed to lower the risk of SIDS.

yeah, i've read that. as i am a new father in the past few days, i'm glad that we have ceiling fans in every room. plus, it's summer, so they'd be running anyway.

calhoun07
08-06-09, 06:37 PM
If it gets too cold being in the window, I find I can wake up with a sore throat. But bad for me over all? Heck no.

calhoun07
08-06-09, 06:43 PM
It's probably only bad for your electric bill.

A fan is hardly a major drain on the electric. AC, on the other hand....

InstantKarma
08-06-09, 06:44 PM
Not really, I always have the fan on all night everytime rain floods my apartment and I leave the fan on for days to dry the carpet

calhoun07
08-06-09, 06:50 PM
Not really, I always have the fan on all night everytime rain floods my apartment and I leave the fan on for days to dry the carpet

Sounds like it's time to move.

grundle
08-06-09, 07:37 PM
You shouldn't allow the fan in the window to blow all night because you'll get nocturnal miasmas. It's caused by the night air. Night air is bad air.

That only applies to people who live south of the equator.

jeffkjoe
08-06-09, 07:41 PM
Brian Williams of NBC News reported last night that the optimal temperature during sleep is 68 degrees.

So turn on that fan, folks.

twikoff
08-06-09, 08:07 PM
:banana:

nickdawgy
08-06-09, 08:46 PM
We have four fans in the house on all the time, and the AC on 78. I like the fan noise as well.

nickdawgy
08-06-09, 08:48 PM
yeah, i've read that. as i am a new father in the past few days, i'm glad that we have ceiling fans in every room. plus, it's summer, so they'd be running anyway.

I didn't know that.

Congrats, man!

Deftones
08-06-09, 10:27 PM
Brian Williams of NBC News reported last night that the optimal temperature during sleep is 68 degrees.

I sleep at 82 degrees. To get it to 62 degrees here in AZ, I'd have to sleep in a freezer. Or pay $1000 a month for the power bills. I didn't know that.

Congrats, man!
Didn't want to be an attention whore and start a thread. Thanks. :)

Tommy Ceez
08-06-09, 11:36 PM

OK

When you google NOCTURNAL MAISMAS this thread comes up 8TH(!?!) so im pretty sure its not a popular problem

Charlie Goose
08-06-09, 11:47 PM
I use a fan at night during the summer, never had a problem. I don't like using the A/C because I wake up shivering.

milo bloom
08-07-09, 10:35 AM
I've left a fan on all night and woken up with a runny nose and scratchy throat.

Same here, but my wife can't live without one on in the summer time, so I deal.

My kids stayed over my ex-in-law's house the other night. It was hot and humid. There was no AC. The kids were told they couldn't leave a fan on all night because "the fan might start a fire".

Let me guess, they also think hooking up a "Nintendo tape machine" to the TV could hurt the TV?

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
08-07-09, 01:18 PM

:banana: congrats! boy or girl? pics?

zuffy
08-07-09, 01:22 PM
I don't like having a fan blowing at me directly when I sleep. If I need to do that, I turn on the AC. What I do on a cooler and non humid night, I have a window fan that blows cool outside air in. There is a temperature I can set it to. Once it hits it, it stop and kick on again if it rise above my set level.

The Edit King
08-07-09, 01:31 PM
We run the AC, a 18" room fan (Attached to a door-frame) and a small fan at the bed...ALL NIGHT LONG...EVERYNIGHT. :eek:

(Not to mention all day too, with the exception of the small bed fan. That's for nighty or nap time only.)

FOR SHAME!!! -ohbfrank-

(...you may say!)

:lol:

...but when the rubber meets the road, it's 'our' home and our comfort is what matters. :up:

-THEEK'S COOL! :eek:

Dr Mabuse
08-07-09, 01:36 PM
According to various rock stars having a fan blow all night is cool as hell.

Some of you people(sickos!) getting scratchy throats and crap are obviously doing it wrong.

InstantKarma
08-07-09, 01:38 PM
Sounds like it's time to move.

My lease doesn't expire until July 2010 so I can suffer a year and then I will move

Lateralus
08-07-09, 01:46 PM
I had a fan everynight for about 10 years and then one day BAM... herpes. I have not used a fan since.

DeltaSigChi4
08-08-09, 03:02 AM
Who doesn't have herpes?

E

PopcornBandit
08-08-09, 08:32 AM
I have three fans in my room and I only turn them off when they need to be cleaned, so I'm going to say that no, it isn't bad.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
08-08-09, 09:22 AM
I had a fan everynight for about 10 years and then one day BAM... herpes. I have not used a fan since.

that's what happens when you let Jules borrow your fan. ;)

mndtrp
08-09-09, 07:44 PM
Like others, I haven't turned my ceiling fans off in something like a decade, other than to clean the blades. I've also used various standing fans when the temperature outside was nice. No ill effects so far, other than one night it got really cold and I woke up with a dry throat.

Troy Stiffler
08-10-09, 12:23 AM
Um, I've been sleeping with a ceiling fan on me ... since I moved to Phoenix ten years ago. I don't think I could go a night without it. I can't even get comfy on the sofa without it. I prefer to keep the AC around 78, with the fan on.

Troy Stiffler
08-10-09, 12:25 AM
Who doesn't have herpes?

E

The Amish. And people who only have sex with children.

AGuyNamedMike
08-10-09, 12:39 AM
It's a life saver for people like me who suffer from tinnitus. I wouldn't be able to go to sleep from the ringing in my ears otherwise.

:up:

Damn_Army service, and not what you think. I worked signals intelligence and spent many shifts wearing headphones. Granted, I cultivated the ability identify different types of encrypted signal by ear, but the ringing still sucks.

glassdragon
08-10-09, 01:27 AM
Agreed. I will sleep through everything except some ass playing his rap at 40000 decibels at 9 am with his 400" speakers with the bass all the way up :(. the fan helps a bit with that

Quake1028
08-10-09, 07:33 AM
We have one of those stand fans on my side of the bed, and it's always on, and always pointed directly at me. The GF would rather have no fan on and just run the AC at like 74, but with the fan on we can run it at like 78, and that's much better for our electric bill, anyway. I can't sleep without the fan on, even in the little bit of "winter" we get here in Tampa.

The Cow
08-10-09, 10:25 AM

:hscratch: What does that have to do with turning on a fan?

VinVega
08-10-09, 10:51 AM
We have one of those stand fans on my side of the bed, and it's always on, and always pointed directly at me. The GF would rather have no fan on and just run the AC at like 74, but with the fan on we can run it at like 78, and that's much better for our electric bill, anyway. I can't sleep without the fan on, even in the little bit of "winter" we get here in Tampa.
The wife makes me shut the fan off around November. It doesn't come back on until March. Believe me I would like it on more in the winter, but my wife is constantly cold. We also keep the AC at 78 like you do.

Cardiff Giant11
08-14-09, 04:57 PM

same here, if it's blowing directly on me I'll wake up with a sore throat. If i direct it away it's no problem. Probably something to do with the dust in the air if I had to take a guess.
BTW, is it just me or does every thread DPham starts start with the word "So," ;)

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
08-14-09, 05:26 PM
BTW, is it just me or does every thread DPham starts start with the word "So," ;)

wrong thread -ohbfrank-

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/559486-so-my-neighbor-said-he-might-pitch-tent-over-his-house-should-i-worried.html

Cardiff Giant11
08-14-09, 05:47 PM
wrong thread -ohbfrank-

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/559486-so-my-neighbor-said-he-might-pitch-tent-over-his-house-should-i-worried.html

ha ha guess i wasn't the only one who noticed, that guy was way more comprehensive about it!

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
08-14-09, 07:53 PM
:lol: he wasn't the first either! i don't think 25%ish or whatever it is counts as every thread. ;)

SPiRAL
08-14-09, 11:04 PM
I was at Walgreen's today, all fans are 50% off.