Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (Sommers, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (Sommers, 2009) — The Reviews Thread
5.84%
4.38%
16.06%
21.90%
13.87%
8.03%
5.11%
2.92%
3.65%
2.92%
4.38%
These are not the "Real American Heroes" that I want to give credit to.
10.95%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-09, 02:42 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Please continue pre-hype discussion in this thread: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...-movie-50.html

Movie:
"G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" (2009) (Starring Dennis Quaid, Channing Tatum, Ray Park, Sienna Miller, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Christopher Eccleston)

Release Date:
8/7/2009

Rating:
PG-13 (for strong sequences of action violence and mayhem throughout)

Running Time:
118 min. (1h. 58m.)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:51 Rotten:84 (38% as of 8/17/09)
RT Link...

Info:
IMDb Link...

Trailer:
<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/eGqPfqDZsNbblcEhwnxe4Q"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/eGqPfqDZsNbblcEhwnxe4Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

Poster Art:

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-17-09 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-04-09, 02:44 PM

Re: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (Sommers, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Damed
I saw this movie over the weekend.

If you go into it knowing it won't be EXACTLY the GIJOE from the comics or the cartoons..

It is a heck of a fun ride. Non-stop action, a good story and some real nice nods to the fans.

I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars. Basically the epitome of what an action filled summer blockbuster should be. Not perfect, but better than I expected, and better than most films I've seen this summer.

I liked it about as much as Abram's Star Trek - if that gives you any perspective.

A hell of a lot better than TF2 (not that that is saying much)
Old 08-04-09, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't GI Joe supposed to be, like, army guys? This looks like Iron Man crossed with The Matrix. Does EVERY franchise have to be superhero kung fu?
Old 08-05-09, 12:03 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Isn't GI Joe supposed to be, like, army guys? This looks like Iron Man crossed with The Matrix. Does EVERY franchise have to be superhero kung fu?
Superhero Kung fu? Well I mean...I'm pretty sure the only thing that can be considered "superhero kung fu" in this flick may be the Snake Eyes vs Storm Shadow (which isn't really kung fu..cuz..well they weren't brought up that way) I'm sure the JOEs know some hand to hand..but...Superhero Kung Fu? I don't know many superheros who know Kung Fu? Nolan's Batman wasn't like that. Superman doesn't know Kung Fu....yet. Iron Man neither..etc etc...Blade...yeah you can call it that...And where do you this Matrix vibe..cuz...I sure as hell don't see that in the trailers...
Old 08-05-09, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Superhero Kung fu? Well I mean...I'm pretty sure the only thing that can be considered "superhero kung fu" in this flick may be the Snake Eyes vs Storm Shadow (which isn't really kung fu..cuz..well they weren't brought up that way) I'm sure the JOEs know some hand to hand..but...Superhero Kung Fu? I don't know many superheros who know Kung Fu? Nolan's Batman wasn't like that. Superman doesn't know Kung Fu....yet. Iron Man neither..etc etc...Blade...yeah you can call it that...And where do you this Matrix vibe..cuz...I sure as hell don't see that in the trailers...
At least from the trailers, all the heroes appear to be wearing Iron Man suits or costumes from The Matrix. Looks like they can fly, too. I mean, look at the poster above... it's Trinity! I'm pretty sure I saw some Ninjas in there too.

This is G.I. Joe

Last edited by lamphorn; 08-05-09 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-05-09, 12:43 AM

Ninjas are a staple of GI Joe

The GI Joe I grew up with was about fantastical vehicles, ninjas, over the top villains and sci-fantasy stories. The whole 12-inch army man is from the 60s-70s.

It seems like you are somehow unaware of the Gi Joe of the 1980s...aka these guys:

Last edited by Labor; 08-05-09 at 12:54 AM.
Old 08-05-09, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Labor
Ninjas are a staple of GI Joe

The GI Joe I grew up with was about fantastical vehicles, ninjas, over the top villains and sci-fantasy stories.
This may be. I don't know anything about G.I. Joe except it's something to do with army guys.

But I think their "re-imagining" of this one is misguided and will lead to a disappointing box-office. The first time I saw a trailer, I honestly thought it was for Iron Man 2. Now that I'm seeing character posters, it's looking awfully like The Matrix. All black super suits that fly is a bad design choice for something we associate with army fatigues. I think the tone is all wrong and the film will suffer financially for it. Sort of the same mistakes they made with Speed Racer (hard-to-place production design plus bad unoriginal marketing).

Last edited by lamphorn; 08-05-09 at 12:53 AM.
Old 08-05-09, 01:00 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fly? what...what trailer were you seeing? It's based, I'd say mostly from the tone of the trailers, on the 1980s cartoon (and maybe a bit from the comics).

I see no Matrix connection. No actual people literally flying (well I'm basing this off the trailers the film may actually have others flying I dunno..it is GI JOE) without the aid of a jetpack which I think I saw Storm Shadow use one in a quick cut in a trailer somewhere. I'd never think this was for Iron Man 2 cuz the tone is wrong and not Faverau's "style". I don't think it'll suffer financially cuz it's a huge blockbuster film with action and it's based on a toy line of the 1980s variety. There are 2 JOEs. The Classic (and still running) line which is the pretty cool and realistic looking JOEs..and there's the 1980s small figured JOEs based off the cartoon series and film ie THIS:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DN034sBeF4c&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DN034sBeF4c&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Not too mention some of the recent cartoons that are in the same vein like old cartoon just..probably less bearded men.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 08-05-09 at 01:03 AM.
Old 08-05-09, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I see no Matrix connection.

Old 08-05-09, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

91% fresh at RT. Yet it's not being screened early for the critics.

It'll be interesting to see where this will wind up on the tomatometer.
Old 08-05-09, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Crazy that the Baroness was wearing black Leather in the early 80's yet ripped off the Matrix. But maybe this conversation should be moved to the other Joe thread.
Old 08-05-09, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
This may be. I don't know anything about G.I. Joe except it's something to do with army guys.
Why are you even in this thread then? Seriously. You don't know that G.I. Joe was a cartoon in the 80's? Everything you see in the trailer was from the cartoon. Not the 60's toys. All they share is the name. Baroness wore black leather in the cartoon. Before the Matrix. You're just trolling.
Old 08-05-09, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
91% fresh at RT. Yet it's not being screened early for the critics.

It'll be interesting to see where this will wind up on the tomatometer.
Its not being screened early for critics?

Edit: ok I just googled it and read about that...I'm sorry but there is NO WAY this could be on the level or worse than TF2. Considering how good the reviews are so far, I think this will end up being one of the few "fresh" films on rottentomatoes that didn't have advance screenings, like Snakes on a Plane.

Last edited by hapgilmore; 08-05-09 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-05-09, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

this is at 91%

Can't wait to see how far this drops by Monday
Old 08-05-09, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

The only way Baroness is a ripoff of Trinity (or The Matrix in general) is if the creators of the 80's cartoon/comics had a time travel machine and peaked at what was to be popular in 1999 so that they could do it early. Besides, Baroness is way hotter than Trinity any day of the week.

Anyhoo, I'll let you guys know what I think of the movie when I see it tomorrow. All things seem to point that this'll be a great close to an uneven summer.

Last edited by RocShemp; 08-05-09 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-05-09, 11:31 AM

back on topic...

IGN 3.5/5.0 Star Review...

Spoiler:
August 3, 2009 - If any film this year has suffered the one-two punch of bad buzz and worse marketing, it's G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra. Those who've spent even a small amount of time reading online sites and movie mags have likely caught wind of problems in the editing room, problems with the script, problems with the director, Stephen Sommers, and, most importantly, problems with the movie itself – rumors which were hardly dispelled by the film's downright unimpressive trailers. That, coupled with the hesitancy of the die-hard Joe fans to support any adaptation – as well as the fact that today's kids simply weren't raised on the classic toys and cartoons – virtually paved the way for a film that appeared as if it'd make Transformers 2 look like Twelfth Night in comparison.

Count us surprised then that G.I. Joe doesn't disappoint. In fact, taken in the proper spirit, it delivers a relatively action-packed and – dare we say – fun bit of mindless entertainment in a fashion that's been missing from movie screens this summer. In these days of more serious-minded (and wildly successful) adaptations, it is unexpectedly refreshing for a film to be so wildly "popcorn" without falling into the realm of the unengaging and inane. Let's make no mistake here, however. This is a B-level action movie with relatively well-drawn characters, a few minor subplots and smartly staged, near-constant action. Shakespeare, it ain't. For better or worse, it feels very much like Sommers' The Mummy, chock-a-block with massive set pieces and broad, dramatic beats without ever taking itself too seriously.

When weapons manufacturer McCullen – soon to be known as Destro – tries to frame NATO forces for the theft of his own metal-eating nano-bot rockets, an even more elite Special Forces group enters the picture: G.I. Joe. Soon, a military caravan led by officers Duke and Ripcord is hijacked by the Baroness and her men, thwarted only by the sudden appearance of Scarlett, Snake-Eyes and Heavy Duty, blasting away in true Joe fashion. Eventually, the pair is allowed to tag along with the group on a mission to retrieve the missles before Destro, Baroness, Storm Shadow and the soon-to-be Cobras can use them against strategic, well-populated targets in an effort to… what else?… take over the world!

As Duke and Ripcord prove themselves to be true Joe material, past events for many of the character (particularly Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Duke and the Baroness) play a major factor in the emergence of a figure who may very well become the Cobra Commander of legend. And it is in these minor flashbacks and subtle relationships that actual characters being to take shape – with motivations and emotions that, while not constituting great drama, go far to invest the audience enough to follow along.

The action shifts from dense forests, to subterranean facilities, to the streets of France, to underwater bases, to high-altitude jet fights and a number of places in-between. The major sequences are both intense and sufficiently humorous, laden with eye-rolling, though faintly charming, one-liners and a speaker-shattering, non-stop barrage of explosions, chases, shoot-outs and sword fights. The action is well paced and the effects – much like the cinematography itself – blend the tangibly real and the colorfully cartoonish in a way that captures the spirit of G.I. Joe. There's no attempt to explain why or how these massive bases might feasibly have been constructed; no effort made to convince the audience that jamming electrodes into a dead person's skull shouldn't allow you to replay their last memories; and no real explanation as to why taking over the world is all that appealing to begin with.

It all just is…

You may have heard it stated that this is the perfect movie for eight year olds… or, at the very least, the eight year old that you once were. And while the former is true, the latter is somewhat misleading. G.I. Joe doesn't require that you awaken your inner-child and dismiss any sense of your adulthood to enjoy it. You just have to take it in the spirit in which it is intended. In fact, there is something rather admirable in Sommers' attempt to neither pander to his audience nor unnecessarily class-up the source material. The good guys are good guys; the bad guys are bad. The schemes are ridiculous and the characters are broad. But nothing here is ever too much of anything. This is an adult's interpretation of a childhood phenomenon, and if you're willing to give it a shot and not expect a work of cinematic art, one suspects that you'll find yourself entertained enough to give your best, "Yo, Joe!"
Old 08-05-09, 12:46 PM

I am looking forward to this.
Old 08-05-09, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scott1598
back on topic...

IGN 3.5/5.0 Star Review...

Spoiler:
August 3, 2009 - If any film this year has suffered the one-two punch of bad buzz and worse marketing, it's G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra. Those who've spent even a small amount of time reading online sites and movie mags have likely caught wind of problems in the editing room, problems with the script, problems with the director, Stephen Sommers, and, most importantly, problems with the movie itself – rumors which were hardly dispelled by the film's downright unimpressive trailers. That, coupled with the hesitancy of the die-hard Joe fans to support any adaptation – as well as the fact that today's kids simply weren't raised on the classic toys and cartoons – virtually paved the way for a film that appeared as if it'd make Transformers 2 look like Twelfth Night in comparison.

Count us surprised then that G.I. Joe doesn't disappoint. In fact, taken in the proper spirit, it delivers a relatively action-packed and – dare we say – fun bit of mindless entertainment in a fashion that's been missing from movie screens this summer. In these days of more serious-minded (and wildly successful) adaptations, it is unexpectedly refreshing for a film to be so wildly "popcorn" without falling into the realm of the unengaging and inane. Let's make no mistake here, however. This is a B-level action movie with relatively well-drawn characters, a few minor subplots and smartly staged, near-constant action. Shakespeare, it ain't. For better or worse, it feels very much like Sommers' The Mummy, chock-a-block with massive set pieces and broad, dramatic beats without ever taking itself too seriously.

When weapons manufacturer McCullen – soon to be known as Destro – tries to frame NATO forces for the theft of his own metal-eating nano-bot rockets, an even more elite Special Forces group enters the picture: G.I. Joe. Soon, a military caravan led by officers Duke and Ripcord is hijacked by the Baroness and her men, thwarted only by the sudden appearance of Scarlett, Snake-Eyes and Heavy Duty, blasting away in true Joe fashion. Eventually, the pair is allowed to tag along with the group on a mission to retrieve the missles before Destro, Baroness, Storm Shadow and the soon-to-be Cobras can use them against strategic, well-populated targets in an effort to… what else?… take over the world!

As Duke and Ripcord prove themselves to be true Joe material, past events for many of the character (particularly Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Duke and the Baroness) play a major factor in the emergence of a figure who may very well become the Cobra Commander of legend. And it is in these minor flashbacks and subtle relationships that actual characters being to take shape – with motivations and emotions that, while not constituting great drama, go far to invest the audience enough to follow along.

The action shifts from dense forests, to subterranean facilities, to the streets of France, to underwater bases, to high-altitude jet fights and a number of places in-between. The major sequences are both intense and sufficiently humorous, laden with eye-rolling, though faintly charming, one-liners and a speaker-shattering, non-stop barrage of explosions, chases, shoot-outs and sword fights. The action is well paced and the effects – much like the cinematography itself – blend the tangibly real and the colorfully cartoonish in a way that captures the spirit of G.I. Joe. There's no attempt to explain why or how these massive bases might feasibly have been constructed; no effort made to convince the audience that jamming electrodes into a dead person's skull shouldn't allow you to replay their last memories; and no real explanation as to why taking over the world is all that appealing to begin with.

It all just is…

You may have heard it stated that this is the perfect movie for eight year olds… or, at the very least, the eight year old that you once were. And while the former is true, the latter is somewhat misleading. G.I. Joe doesn't require that you awaken your inner-child and dismiss any sense of your adulthood to enjoy it. You just have to take it in the spirit in which it is intended. In fact, there is something rather admirable in Sommers' attempt to neither pander to his audience nor unnecessarily class-up the source material. The good guys are good guys; the bad guys are bad. The schemes are ridiculous and the characters are broad. But nothing here is ever too much of anything. This is an adult's interpretation of a childhood phenomenon, and if you're willing to give it a shot and not expect a work of cinematic art, one suspects that you'll find yourself entertained enough to give your best, "Yo, Joe!"

That does it ... my family and I are going to see this. While the early trailers did little to ratchet up my interest, the more recent ones did.

(( this space reserved for review ))
Old 08-05-09, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
Looks like they liked it a little bit less than I did - but I pretty much agree with what he said.

As long as you go in expecting a big budget popcorn flick - and not some in depth character exposition - you'll be entertained.
Old 08-05-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Looking forward to seeing this. Need a good action flick to cap off the summer.

Can't wait to see how many people post these comments/cliches:

1) It was a fun summer flick
2) It was a great popcorn
3) It's the kind of movie that you need to turn your brain off at the door
4) It was one of the worst movies of the year
5) Fun summer movie, but the acting sucked.
Old 08-05-09, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Damed
Looks like they liked it a little bit less than I did - but I pretty much agree with what he said.

As long as you go in expecting a big budget popcorn flick - and not some in depth character exposition - you'll be entertained.
yeah, it seems it is just a mindless good time, but orchestrated better than say Transformers 2 and seems Sommers went back to original Mummy & Mummy 2 formulas and hopefully burned his egads Van Helsing blueprint.

i think the critics that did get to see it just took it for what it was and what it was meant to be and knew it wasn't trying to be anything epic or Oscar worthy. they went in expecting the worst (from that early buzz stuff) and were pleasantly surprised that it wasn't horrible. i think most of us are just hoping that as well...that it isn't horrible and that Sommers won't wind up raping our childhoods!

i think i am in the mood for something like this. i think this, District 9 and Inglorious Basterds will be a good way to end the summer movie season and hopefully i can muster the strength to see each.

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-05-09 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-05-09, 02:24 PM

Sommer had nothing to with Mummy 3 fyi
Old 08-05-09, 03:04 PM

all i see from the trailers is that stormshadow looks like a gay fashion model. marlon wayons makes a g.i. squad...maybe g.i. joe lowered their standards. why people still go see movies put out by stephen sommers is beyond me.
Old 08-05-09, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Son of Odin
all i see from the trailers is that stormshadow looks like a gay fashion model. marlon wayons makes a g.i. squad...maybe g.i. joe lowered their standards. why people still go see movies put out by stephen sommers is beyond me.
This coming from the guy who gave Transformers 2 a 5 star rating.
Old 08-05-09, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't understand the last option in the poll but it's winning.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.