Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Cosmopolis (2012, D: Cronenberg) S: Robert Pattinson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-09, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From Variety:
David Cronenberg is teaming up with Portuguese producer Paulo Branco to bring Don DeLillo's novel "Cosmopolis" to the screen.

Cronenberg will helm and also adapt the 2003 novel for the screen. Story follows a 28-year-old multimillionaire on a 24-hour odyssey across Manhattan. Considered one of America's leading novelists, DeLillo's most acclaimed works include "White Noise" and "Underworld."

Branco will produce via his Paris-based shingle Alfama Films and Cronenberg's Toronto-based Antenna LTD.

Shooting is skedded for 2010 in Toronto and New York.
Old 07-25-09, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,069 Posts
re: Cosmopolis (2012, D: Cronenberg) S: Robert Pattinson

I'm not sure I'm crazy about the premise (I'm imagining a darker version of After Hours) but I like Cronenberg so I'll be there.
Old 07-25-09, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I only needed to read Cronenberg's name and my ticket was as good as bought.
Old 07-25-09, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

he still doing that flick with denzel and tom cruise?
Old 05-14-10, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
he still doing that flick with denzel and tom cruise?
This is what I saw on the IMDB forum at far as the Denzel/Cruise pic (though no sources are cited):

"Materese Circle died well before MGM suffered its meltdown. We haven't an actual confirmation on why, but all the signs are that Cruise killed it. What is known is that after lobbying Cronenberg to let him play a lead role, Cruise then went behind Cronenberg's back to have the script rewritten as a Tom Cruise vehicle - in other words, treated Cronenberg as a director-for-hire and stole control of the project away from him. Some of us guess that Croneneberg subsequently walked away from it - and rightly so.

This isn't unheard of from top stars, a number have their preferred script doctors and use their star power with studios this way. Personally, I think it's despicable behavior, shows an utter contempt for the directors. I'm not a Cruise-hater in general, but this...screw him."

As far, as the latest films Cornenberg is working, there is casting news on Cosmopolis, and there will be a a most interesting film with Viggo that will precede it, check out the news here:

http://indieethos.wordpress.com/2010...-fleshing-out/
Old 05-14-10, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I'm not sure I'm crazy about the premise (I'm imagining a darker version of After Hours) but I like Cronenberg so I'll be there.
I thought the same thing. It also reminds me of about three other movies where the main character wonders around a town all night long.

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I only needed to read Cronenberg's name and my ticket was as good as bought.
Same here.
Old 01-06-11, 10:26 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Bump!

Looks like Robert Pattinson is now in the lead role. I told my wife. She said he was good in Remember Me, and "playing Edward the vampire doesn't involve much skill."
Old 01-06-11, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Why can't fucking actors just take their pay for their skills and do what the fuck the directors tell them and say what the writers write for them? They're not forced into taking a job but when they do they should go with what they agreed on. Fuck Cruise if he really pulled that bullshit.
Old 01-06-11, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Fuck Cruise if he really pulled that bullshit.

I doubt he pulled that bullshit with Kubrick.
Old 01-06-11, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

David Cronenberg...

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Looks like Robert Pattinson is now in the lead ro...
Old 01-06-11, 05:48 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Everyone was Kubrick's bitch...EXCEPT maybe R. Lee Ermey...but he did play nice w/ him.
Old 01-06-11, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Why can't fucking actors just take their pay for their skills and do what the fuck the directors tell them and say what the writers write for them? They're not forced into taking a job but when they do they should go with what they agreed on. Fuck Cruise if he really pulled that bullshit.
I don't think there's anything wrong with an actor giving constructive criticism with the honest intent to make the movie better. Sometimes another opinion can help. On the other hand too many cooks can spoil the broth and in the end it's the director's movie. If Cruise really did that that's pretty bush and not something you pull on an accomplished director.
Old 01-06-11, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
That's not what R Lee Ermey said Kubrick told him.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2006/oct/05/news1

Stanley Kubrick regarded Eyes Wide Shut as a "piece of shit" that had been ruined by the interference of its A-list stars, a friend of the director claimed this week. The character actor R Lee Ermey starred in Kubrick's 1987 film Full Metal Jacket and remained in close contact with the director until his death in March 1999. He described the film-maker as a "shy, timid" man who was effectively bullied by his stars, Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman.

"Stanley called me about two weeks before he died," Ermey told Radar Online. "We had a long conversation about Eyes Wide Shut. He told me it was a piece of shit and that he was disgusted with it and that the critics were going to have him for lunch. He said Cruise and Kidman had their way with him - exactly the words he used."

Eyes Wide Shut marked Kubrick's return to film-making after a 12-year hiatus. The film was in the final stages of post-production when he died at his home in Hertfordshire. It was finally released to mixed reviews and middling box office.

Asked why Kubrick had allowed himself to be strong-armed by his stars, Ermey said, "He was kind of a shy little timid guy. He wasn't real forceful. That's why he didn't appreciate working with big, high-powered actors. They would have their way with him, he would lose control and his movie would turn to shit."

During the film's production, Cruise and Kidman were full of praise for the director's methods and claimed that the finished film was exactly as he would have wanted. Discussing the experience of working with Kubrick, Kidman insisted that "it was incredibly rewarding, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat."
Old 01-06-11, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBull80

i actually got into a mini debate on twitter with Greg of hitflix, as i semi sarcastically replied to news of Pattinsion in the movie with "noooooooo, guess i'm skipping the new Cronenberg movie", and he replied 'sigh. he can act. please'
Old 01-07-11, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So Pattinson is now in the lead. Though I think Farrell is def. the more accomplished actor, I'm sure the final film will still be a Cronenberg film, on that higher otherworldly level that only Cronenberg could produce.
Old 01-07-11, 10:09 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I wouldn't skip a Cronenberg movie even if Courtney Love was the lead.
Old 01-07-11, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If Cronenberg was able to elicit an effective performance from Marilyn Chambers, I'm sure he will work similar wonders with Pattinson. I'm not worried.
Old 01-07-11, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm anxious to hear reactions from twi-hards after they see this because pattinson is in it
Old 01-07-11, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Paul Giamatti and Marion Cotillard will co-star.
Old 01-07-11, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
If Cronenberg was able to elicit an effective performance from Marilyn Chambers, I'm sure he will work similar wonders with Pattinson. I'm not worried.
Exactly.

Plus, as stated by a few others here, nothing would keep me away from a new Cronenberg film.
Old 01-07-11, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
That's not what R Lee Ermey said Kubrick told him.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2006/oct/05/news1

R. Lee Ermey is a nutjob. I don't believe this.

Kubrick was known to be a bossy guy with a lot of authority, and who was willing to really push his actors to the limit. I've never heard of him being a weak-minded guy, who can be pushed around.
Old 01-07-11, 11:23 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know... after a 12-year hiatus, I would imagine the guy wasn't quite as authoritative or confident as he was in the past, especially if there might have been signs of his health deteriorating around that time.
Old 01-08-11, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
I don't know... after a 12-year hiatus, I would imagine the guy wasn't quite as authoritative or confident as he was in the past, especially if there might have been signs of his health deteriorating around that time.
Kind of off-topic from the subject of this thread, but if you read this account of Ian Watson trying work with Kubrick on AI, you can imagine that his mental health might have been slipping a bit in his later years: http://www.ianwatson.info/kubrick.htm

I still think EWS could have been a great movie if Kubrick had been able to edit it after some screenings, like he did with a lot of his films.
Old 01-08-11, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

R lee could be telling the truth, people want Kubrick to be a mythic figure, but he probably has different relationships with different people, and may have just been venting to him. To other people Kubrick said eyes wid shut is his best flick. So he must have had a complex relationship with it. Artists won't always be cut and dry about their art.

When I heard of the cronenberg summary I thought of eyes wide shut, which he is a big fan of
Old 01-08-11, 02:23 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Back on topic...

Has anyone read the book? How was it?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.