Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Big Lots Part 6

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Mr. Flix
07-31-09, 10:00 PM
Has anybody posted this yet? Warner Brother is suing... I can't post the URL because I haven't posted 30 messages here yet, but the full article is at home media magazine dot com. Apparently, all these discs that are showing up for cheap at BL were supposed to be destroyed.

Badmojo
07-31-09, 10:07 PM
Hey, did you hear? Big Lots! has $3 DVDs!-smile-

My Other Self
07-31-09, 10:14 PM
Has anybody posted this yet? Warner Brother is suing... I can't post the URL because I haven't posted 30 messages here yet, but the full article is at home media magazine dot com. Apparently, all these discs that are showing up for cheap at BL were supposed to be destroyed.Yes it's been the main discussion for the past 5 or more pages.

Bezerker
07-31-09, 10:21 PM
Hey, did you hear? Big Lots! has $3 DVDs!-smile-

Is there a thread or something where I can find out more?

Mr. Flix
07-31-09, 10:22 PM
Yes it's been the main discussion for the past 5 or more pages.

Sorry, I only scanned one page back and saw no discussion of it.

Badmojo
07-31-09, 10:46 PM
Is there a thread or something where I can find out more?
Hey, maybe we should start one!

b2net
07-31-09, 11:22 PM
Has anybody posted this yet? Warner Brother is suing... I can't post the URL because I haven't posted 30 messages here yet, but the full article is at home media magazine dot com. Apparently, all these discs that are showing up for cheap at BL were supposed to be destroyed.

couldn't find anything at the site you referenced.. but there was a post previously from another site about the possibility of this... the reason i say possibility is that there was another site that said all 1million were dark knight blu-rays and dvds...

dugnarug
07-31-09, 11:40 PM
Nothing new at the Big Lots in Smyrna or Murfreesboro, TN. I check every day it seems they know me when I walk in. Its becoming a pretty sad situation now. I was at the one on Nolensville Rd last Wednesday night and they had a few Tales from the Crypt but I think it was mainly season 5.

SpinalGuffman
08-01-09, 12:05 AM
There is a four sided rack in my closest BL here in WI. One entire side had been used for season sets for several weeks. It looked pretty bare when I talked to an assistant manager early last week. She said that side was staying empty in anticipation of more sets. She also said that she had plenty of regular $3 dvds in back that she could set out if it weren't for the anticipated season sets.

After that conversation there was one more big restock of sets (just some of the common stuff everyone has seen).

I came in today and that side has been filled with regular DVDs again, plus about 10 of The War at Home S1.

Some of the new stock of dvds were anime. Eureka, Flag, Angel something ...

There was also a new cardboard display of MGM titles. Gas, Movie Madness, Roadie, Nat. Lampoon Gold Diggers, etc. Nothing too interesting.

It looks like the party is over there.

Drake
08-01-09, 12:08 AM
A few new ones at my Big Lots but nothing major I did pick up Vera Drake.

Keith123
08-01-09, 12:09 AM
Has anybody posted this yet? Warner Brother is suing... I can't post the URL because I haven't posted 30 messages here yet, but the full article is at home media magazine dot com. Apparently, all these discs that are showing up for cheap at BL were supposed to be destroyed.http://www.homemediamagazine.com/warner/warner-suit-alleges-massive-dvd-destruction-fraud-16593

---------------
Warner Suit Alleges Massive DVD Destruction Fraud

By : Chris Tribbey | Posted: 30 Jul 2009
ctribbey@questex.com

More than 2 million Warner Home Video DVDs and Blu-ray Discs slated for destruction were instead kept by the company charged with destroying them, and then sold at retail for bargain prices, according to a suit filed by the studio.

Warner alleges in the suit, filed July 28 in Los Angeles Superior Court, that Agoura Hills, Calif.-based IWMB, Inc. was contracted to destroy excess inventory, however IWMB allegedly sold the product “to one or more third parties, with the knowledge that those third parties would subsequently resell the product at a price lower than prevailing wholesale and retail prices,” undercutting sales by distributors and retailers.

The complaint alleges fraud, breach of contract, and violation of California’s Unfair Competition Law, and seeks an immediate injunction and damages in excess of $10 million.

IWMB president Cal Jones is named in the suit as well. A message left for Jones seeking comment was not immediately returned.

Warner says the alleged scheme cost it more than $10 million, when DVDs and Blu-rays returned by retailers and distributors were sold instead of destroyed, and is seeking compensatory and punitive damages, “in an amount sufficient to punish and make an example of them.”

The suit claims that replicator Cinram subcontracted IWMB to destroy the excess Warner product, and IWMB in turn issued certificates of destruction to Cinram. But Warner found the product that was supposed to be destroyed was “advertised and sold … nationally in large quantities.”

“These illegal sales were the fruits of defendants’ theft of the Warner product, and thus were wholly unauthorized and unlawful,” the suit reads. Warner believes at least 750,000 of the units have been sold so far, and another 250,000 are still being held by one or more third-party sellers. The suit does not name any of the alleged third-party sellers. The Los Angeles lawyer representing Warner was not immediately available for comment.

“[Warner] has already suffered irreparable damage including, without limitation, damage to the value of its home entertainment properties, its relationships with its business partners and to its reputation as a provider of valuable home entertainment,” the suit reads.

Warner is demanding a jury trial.
-------------------

chris_sc77
08-01-09, 12:18 AM
Wow. What a day for my hate of WB.
I figured warners wouldn't be cool enough to sell these dvd's for these crazy low prices.

greyslade
08-01-09, 12:29 AM
Hmmm, very interesting. So I guess this is all really over? Sad. Well, it was a lot of fun while it lasted - got some great sets, and now I know about this cool site as well. I'm still putting the pieces together how destroying overproduced/dead product is better than clearance.

statcat
08-01-09, 12:31 AM
Hmmm, very interesting. So I guess this is all really over? Sad. Well, it was a lot of fun while it lasted - got some great sets, and now I know about this cool site as well. I'm still putting the pieces together how destroying overproduced/dead product is better than clearance.

because WB feels it would devalue their product in the mind of the consumer. I don't get it either, why didn't they just donate the animated shows to needy children as mentioned before

greyslade
08-01-09, 12:36 AM
because WB feels it would devalue their product in the mind of the consumer. I don't get it either, why didn't they just donate the animated shows to needy children as mentioned before

Great point - seems with just a little creativity and/or goodwill, they could have done a lot of cool things.

DVDmadman9
08-01-09, 12:46 AM
I found a lone copy of Wacky Races hidden at the methuen MA big lots today which I picked up. Thanks to the hoarders though the place is pretty much cleaned out of anything good. I live down the street from the place so I could go there every day if I wished.

My Other Self
08-01-09, 12:48 AM
I wonder if the resell prices will go back up now that this is a done deal?

chris_sc77
08-01-09, 12:53 AM

Or to libraries.

AaronSch
08-01-09, 01:21 AM

I've been busy filling in the missing pieces of my collection while they are still being dumped on eBay at very low prices.

MooMooMooMoo
08-01-09, 01:22 AM
The "Family packs" I posted about earlier were more of the public domain junk (WW2, I Love Lucy, John Wayne, etc). I THINK the manufacturer was Brentwood; sorry I didn't bother to count the amount of discs.

MooMooMooMoo
08-01-09, 01:24 AM
If this Warner lawsuit is referring to titles showing up at Big Lots, I am very sad that some of these sets weren't donated to toys for tots and toys for teens but were instead marked for destruction. Considering the amount of animated sets showing up alone, these could have made some much loved Christmas gifts for underprivileged children, and would have still provided a write off for Warner.

I agree.

ChrisP
08-01-09, 01:25 AM
Found a ton of new Mill Creek sets at the Nashville Nolensville Rd. location but not much else new.

sdfan21
08-01-09, 01:44 AM

im sure they will once people sell the extra copies they have or what the resellers had. i still could not believe that popeye vol1 was for 3 dollars as well as the other hanna barbera sets. i remember i paid around 25 dollars a year ago for it. the restoration is perfect considering the age of the cartoons and although i was hurt that the price had declined to three dollars i was glad that many people here got a chance to pick it up and add it to their collections or had passed on it before because of the price. But as many other members have said the party is over.

jeffbase34
08-01-09, 02:03 AM
im sure they will once people sell the extra copies they have or what the resellers had. i still could not believe that popeye vol1 was for 3 dollars as well as the other hanna barbera sets. i remember i paid around 25 dollars a year ago for it. the restoration is perfect considering the age of the cartoons and although i was hurt that the price had declined to three dollars i was glad that many people here got a chance to pick it up and add it to their collections or had passed on it before because of the price. But as many other members have said the party is over.

Man, I paid like 40 for my set. It was excellent quality. Top rated on this site. I figured it would be a nice collector's item, and I enjoy historical content.

Even more crazy, I just did a search on Amazon marketplace, and like 100 idiots are trying to sell this for 4 bucks. Wow, desperate to make maybe 1 damn dollar? Hoarders just piss me off. Check Flintstones, and it's the same thing. Concidence? I think not.

sdfan21
08-01-09, 02:09 AM
Man, I paid like 40 for my set. It was excellent quality. Top rated on this site. I figured it would be a nice collector's item, and I enjoy historical content.

Did you get the one with the tin case? i remember that was an exclusive best buy edition but i never got around to buying it due to the high price on release week. You be surprised what people do for an extra dollar or two lol. Im just glad there was a site like this that had members willing to post their findings and helping others get great deals on dvds

jgorow
08-01-09, 03:37 AM
The "Family packs" I posted about earlier were more of the public domain junk (WW2, I Love Lucy, John Wayne, etc). I THINK the manufacturer was Brentwood; sorry I didn't bother to count the amount of discs.

couldnt possibly be "I love lucy", has to be "The Lucy Show", there are no "I Love Lucy" episodes in the public domain. and by the way, one of the major studios just picked up "The Lucy Show" for a legit release

My Other Self
08-01-09, 03:39 AM
Did you get the one with the tin case? i remember that was an exclusive best buy edition but i never got around to buying it due to the high price on release week. You be surprised what people do for an extra dollar or two lol. Im just glad there was a site like this that had members willing to post their findings and helping others get great deals on dvdsI would've gladly paid $40 for that Popeye set but I never got around to buying it. The $3 pricepoint was perfect.

If only I could've gotten the rest of the mat that price.

MooMooMooMoo
08-01-09, 03:59 AM

Even more crazy, I just did a search on Amazon marketplace, and like 100 idiots are trying to sell this for 4 bucks. Wow, desperate to make maybe 1 damn dollar? Hoarders just piss me off. Check Flintstones, and it's the same thing. Concidence? I think not.

Buying for $3 & selling on Amazon or ebay for $4 makes no sense, the seller will lose money.

MooMooMooMoo
08-01-09, 04:00 AM
couldnt possibly be "I love lucy", has to be "The Lucy Show", there are no "I Love Lucy" episodes in the public domain. and by the way, one of the major studios just picked up "The Lucy Show" for a legit release

You're probably correct. I consider this stuff to be junk, so don't pay very close attention.

JohnnieGrrrl
08-01-09, 07:46 AM
I found another report that say it was just Dark Knight DVD's that were stolen
I guess only time will tell? 2mil copies of Dark Knight to be distroyed seems like a lot!?!?

blog.newsarama.com/2009/07/31/the-dark-knight-returns-to-court/

The Dark Knight returns… to court

July 31st, 2009
Author David Pepose
Warner Bros. has taken someone to court over 2 million stolen DVDs for the Dark Knight.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Warner Bros. Home Video has filed a $10 million complaint against IWMB, Inc., who they said agreed to destroy 2 million surplus copies of the Dark Knight.

Instead, WB alleges, the company gave the disks to a third party, who began selling these copies on the street.

Yowza… this is the sort of embezzlement/misappopriation scheme that would even make Bruce Wayne blush. And he steals military weapons on a regular basis.

Superdaddy
08-01-09, 08:01 AM
Buying for $3 & selling on Amazon or ebay for $4 makes no sense, the seller will lose money.

Some of these resellers bought up a ton of copies at the cheap prices, not counting on so many other people doing the same. A lot of these individuals then probably listed these on ebay, Amazon marketplace, etc., driving prices down.

They probably weren't counting on getting $4-6 a piece for them, but with so many flooding onto the market, their dreams of profit have gone up in smoke.

Of course this can benefit collectors. I was checking out Flintstones sets on ebay (just need season 4 to finish my run; I got the rest at BL). I laughed when I saw a few sellers listing these for over $30.00. No one is going to pay $30.00 for a Flintstones set now.

Alan Smithee
08-01-09, 08:04 AM
Seems like they should keep at least a few copies of The Dark Knight out there for a while- if they wanted to destroy 2 million, how many more were made?

Not a big Popeye fan (the way the characters in the cartoons talk annoys me) but still got the Warner set for 3 bucks- to think I thought I was getting a deal a few years ago when I bought a crappy Goodtimes 2-disc Popeye collection at Wal-Mart for $5.50!

jeffbase34
08-01-09, 08:19 AM
Some of these resellers bought up a ton of copies at the cheap prices, not counting on so many other people doing the same. A lot of these individuals then probably listed these on ebay, Amazon marketplace, etc., driving prices down.

They probably weren't counting on getting $4-6 a piece for them, but with so many flooding onto the market, their dreams of profit have gone up in smoke.

Of course this can benefit collectors. I was checking out Flintstones sets on ebay (just need season 4 to finish my run; I got the rest at BL). I laughed when I saw a few sellers listing these for over $30.00. No one is going to pay $30.00 for a Flintstones set now.

If they had any brains, they would pull their listing ,and simply wait for the price to go back up. The thing that blows my mind is now sellers are trying to unload dvds at $0.01. That's desperation. I saw The Others is listed on Amazon for a penny. I own this movie ,and it has more value than that. If I ever need to sell my dvds, I'm better off doing it at a garage sale.

jeffbase34
08-01-09, 08:21 AM
Seems like they should keep at least a few copies of The Dark Knight out there for a while- if they wanted to destroy 2 million, how many more were made?

Not a big Popeye fan (the way the characters in the cartoons talk annoys me) but still got the Warner set for 3 bucks- to think I thought I was getting a deal a few years ago when I bought a crappy Goodtimes 2-disc Popeye collection at Wal-Mart for $5.50!

The extras alone make this a must have for any fan of animation. It includes a documentary on the history of animation, and some of the first animated films. Fascinating stuff.

MooMooMooMoo
08-01-09, 08:43 AM
I found another report that say it was just Dark Knight DVD's that were stolen
I guess only time will tell? 2mil copies of Dark Knight to be distroyed seems like a lot!?!?

blog.newsarama.com/2009/07/31/the-dark-knight-returns-to-court/

The Dark Knight returns… to court

July 31st, 2009
Author David Pepose
Warner Bros. has taken someone to court over 2 million stolen DVDs for the Dark Knight.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Warner Bros. Home Video has filed a $10 million complaint against IWMB, Inc., who they said agreed to destroy 2 million surplus copies of the Dark Knight.

Instead, WB alleges, the company gave the disks to a third party, who began selling these copies on the street.

Yowza… this is the sort of embezzlement/misappopriation scheme that would even make Bruce Wayne blush. And he steals military weapons on a regular basis.

That would actually make more sense then Warner destroying all those cartoon boxes.

BobO'Link
08-01-09, 09:04 AM
Sorry, I only scanned one page back and saw no discussion of it.
That *might* work with a slow moving thread, which is unusual enough here at DVD Talk, but is still considered by most to be poor etiquette. You should, at the very least, attempt to go back a full day or two "just in case" for most threads on this site.

*THIS* thread has had 1039 posts (including this reply) since late afternoon on 7/23/09! That's simply amazing and is probably a record for this site. That's just over 8 1/2 days at the time of my reply. This is an average of 122 posts per day, 5 per hour. Depending on your settings, scanning back one page would probably get you 2-3 hours of posts at best, even less during heavy posting times.

BobO'Link
08-01-09, 09:13 AM
Back to business... :)

My mid-day run yesterday netted nothing new. No new stock of *any* type, but still *lots* of people digging through the $3 DVD movies, several with 5-10 titles in their cart. I was told there were no new DVDs on the truck, but the person I asked doesn't do stocking and my connection in that area is off for a week! I guess it's just as well considering how much I've purchased/spent the past 3 weeks...

Preterite
08-01-09, 09:17 AM
Which location in the Chicagoland area are you referring to Preterite?
It's been a couple of weeks, and I've been back and forth and around so many times, but I think it was the one in Markham that I saw the mother lode (though I only opted for a single Kubrick and a single Looney Tunes). I then hit the one on 183rd, swung over to Highland, and then the Cal City location on my way home. The 183rd still had some Looney Tunes at the time, and Cal City had some good $3 sets. Highland never had anything good in my three or four visits there.

Everything's long gone now, of course.

BobO'Link
08-01-09, 09:25 AM
Seems like they should keep at least a few copies of The Dark Knight out there for a while- if they wanted to destroy 2 million, how many more were made?...
According to the last sales figures I could find there have been 12,794,402 copies *sold* as of 6/21/09 with average sales of ~50,000 copies per month since March. On a print run that's seen almost 13 million units sold, a destruct order for 2 million is minimal and not unusual considering that these are reported to be defectives and returns.

GenPion
08-01-09, 09:29 AM
I am going to be very happy if it turns out to be just about the Dark Knight.

Rexxriot
08-01-09, 09:53 AM
I went over to Danvers, MA, this morning. There's not that much left. I was surprised to see the return of West Wing and the ultra rare Joey. I hadn't seen them for a while, so I figured they had sold. Must have just put them in back to make room for other stuff. They put out a lot of new $3 movies, so I'm not sure if they still have any of the box sets left in back. I'm still hoping stuff that I haven't seen will show up, like Lois & Clark and Tales from the Crypt, but who knows at this point.

MooMooMooMoo
08-01-09, 09:55 AM
I am going to be very happy if it turns out to be just about the Dark Knight.

I agree. The more I think about QuirkyMovieGirl's post regarding that Warner SHOULD have donated the cartoon sets to children's charities if there intent was to destroy them, the more I agree with her & the more it pisses me off. I don't have any problem with Warner blowing out overstock (I certainly bought my share), but if their intent was to destroy all the stuff we've seen at Big Lots that's NOT ok.

Tim Tucker
08-01-09, 10:14 AM
because WB feels it would devalue their product in the mind of the consumer.
I think WB has a legitimate concern. The DVD market is a deflationary one, anyway. After this sale, how many of us are going to think twice about buying a DVD at "normal" prices?

b2net
08-01-09, 10:43 AM
I think WB has a legitimate concern. The DVD market is a deflationary one, anyway. After this sale, how many of us are going to think twice about buying a DVD at "normal" prices?

I am mostly ruined for paying higher prices for DVDs ... I already a had a basic price point before I agree to buy DVD, Box Set, or TV Season.... Which now has dropped... but....... only slightly... because I know that these are so low that they were basically garage sale prices and a potential anomoly.... but yes..... it is hard to go back to paying "sale" price for anything.....much less MSRP.

ProfessorEcho
08-01-09, 11:24 AM
There's no method or formula for what stors get what sets. I live in CA and haven't found LT where I live but it's been spotted all over SoCal. The set I have now was from IL where the guy who traded it to me lived. It's just hit or miss.

I thought I had read these BL threads pretty closely, but I can't recall seeing any reports of anyone finding the LT sets in SoCal (where I live) or in the Chicago area (where I am currently visiting). You're right though, there is no rhyme or reason to any of it and it's all hit or miss. It's such an anachronistic concept in these days of being able to find most everything literally at your fingertips.

EDIT: Haha, a report of the LT set showing up in Chicago right on this very page! Just shows you that some of this stuff becomes a blur after awhile, so allow me to amend my original post by saying that I myself have not seen any of the LT or other high ticket box sets either in SoCal or Chicago. Thank you. Good night. Drive safely.

Mickactual
08-01-09, 12:11 PM
Stopped in Beverly NJ yesterday while on the road. The only boxes they had were:
Flintstones S2 (a few)
OC S2 (sveral)
Nip Tuck S4 (regular DVD/2 copies)
Joey S1 (several)
Super Bowl (various)

They did have a lot of single movies, inc. Last Time Committed Suicide, Lillith, & Sweet Bird Of Youth. No Bonds tho.

Praying, as I was, to spot the stray Smallville S6 Blu, Dastardly & Muttley, Looney Tunes, or Kubrick - I was quite disappointed.
:mad2:

SethDLH
08-01-09, 01:01 PM
Eldersburg and Westminster MD stores are picked clean of sets pretty much. A few Joeys, Night Court and Dukes of Hazzard still around, but little else.

U2Cowboy
08-01-09, 01:23 PM
I saw the 1st and 10 box yesterday at a store I've been to many times. So there still putting something out. Could be a return, I guess.

b2net
08-01-09, 01:36 PM
Eldersburg and Westminster MD stores are picked clean of sets pretty much. A few Joeys, Night Court and Dukes of Hazzard still around, but little else.

Any Dukes S4?

My Other Self
08-01-09, 01:42 PM
I can understand that Dark Knight thing but then where are all the extra copies? I can't see them suing over 2mill+ copies of TDK. It's gotta be this boxset fiasco.

WMAangel
08-01-09, 01:52 PM
I can understand that Dark Knight thing but then where are all the extra copies? I can't see them suing over 2mill+ copies of TDK. It's gotta be this boxset fiasco.

Exactly....that Home Media Magazine article specifically states:

Warner found the product that was supposed to be destroyed was “advertised and sold … nationally in large quantities.”

These $6 and $3 sets are all Warner titles and have been specifically advertised and sold nationwide by Big Lots...in quite large quantities (for many of the titles)...

Has anyone seen any advertisements anywhere for any store with blowout prices on The Dark Knight? Has anyone even found a store selling new copies of TDK for less than $10??

dvd_daffy
08-01-09, 01:52 PM

I think the Dark Knight confusion stems from the fact that the site that broke the story, THREsq.com, illustrated their story with an image of the Dark Knight Blu-Ray cover (even though the article itself made no mention of TDK at all). It was probably the first Warner Home Video image they had handy. Other sites picked up on the story, and started saying the lawsuit was ALL over copies Dark Knight.

There is no doubt in my mind that the lawsuit is over the boxset fiasco.

SpinalGuffman
08-01-09, 01:56 PM
You can't see them suing over the theft and eventual street selling of the biggest movie of the decade? I can. Curious what your reasoning is.

It seems to me like they would have gotten a lot of returns as all the retailers (inlcuding rental chains which always stock a bunch of copies of a few newer releases), which carried tons of TDK started making room, taking down displays, etc. Thousands of stores that carried it all returning overstock. I imagine with the initial demand that orders skyrocketed well past what would eventually be needed.

The numbers add up, and the articles are reporting this as the issue. I admit that I hope this is the case, so that there is a good chance more waves of deals hit BL. I hope this was legit and will be repeated.

SethDLH
08-01-09, 02:01 PM
Any Dukes S4?

honestly, I didn't look closely at them. I saw what shows they were and had no interest in them so I didn't check which seasons of volumes on anything.

My Other Self
08-01-09, 02:11 PM
You can't see them suing over the theft and eventual street selling of the biggest movie of the decade? I can. Curious what your reasoning is.

The numbers add up, and the articles are reporting this as the issue. I admit that I hope this is the case, so that there is a good chance more waves of deals hit BL. I hope this was legit and will be repeated.I'm not saying they wouldn't sue over that - any company would - but it doesn't make sense that the company was reselling JUST copies of TDK. Where are they? The way the articles were written imply they were resold to 3rd party (which would be Big Lots in this case) and sold on to the consumers.

That makes much more sense than 2mill+ copies of TDK unaccounted for. I'm sure we'd see an abundance of them at SOME store if that was the case.

barbybrant
08-01-09, 02:15 PM
Franklin Mills, PA
Bristol, PA
Beverly, NJ

Nothing new observed, sad to say. Although, some nice person (not me) put the 4 volumes of the anime series "Flag" together in one spot at Franklin Mills. Thanks very much!

Gobear
08-01-09, 02:20 PM
The box sets I found at the Rutland, VT, store today were slashed over the UPC code, a clear indication that they were intended to be discarded and not to be distributed to retailers.

Regardless of their stock's provenance, the Rutland, VT store has multiple copies of Animaniacs Vol. 2
Pinky & the Brain Vol. 2
The West Wing Season 2
Birdman and the Galaxy Trio
Wait Til Your Father Gets Home
Popeye Theatrical Shorts Vol 1
The War At Home
Night Court Season 1

all for $3.

I also bought a lot of Warner single titles for $3 each, like Brick, Anna Christie, The Horse Soldiers, and Day for Night (Truffaut for $3!),

My Other Self
08-01-09, 02:31 PM
I've opened a few of my sets recently and some of them seem to have been re-sealed. Fingerprints, feather scratches, etc. on "brand new" discs. My LT set only had Volume 3 sealed in the package, and 3 out of the 4 discs in Volume 1 had thick finger prints all over the bottom.

To me anyway, this makes more logical sense.. also as to why we're not finding any new hauls.

Keith123
08-01-09, 02:55 PM
I've opened a few of my sets recently and some of them seem to have been re-sealed. Fingerprints, feather scratches, etc. on "brand new" discs. My LT set only had Volume 3 sealed in the package, and 3 out of the 4 discs in Volume 1 had thick finger prints all over the bottom. I bought two copies of Adventures of Superman season two and I did notice at the time that one of the copies had a "different kinda shrinkwrap" feel than any of the other Warner sets. I figured I'd keep the "used" set for my collection and use the other perfect one for trade. The discs did turn out to be mint so that was good. On further inspection, the back of the cardboard case had pen mark indentations where someone had written something on paper while using the dvd outer cardboard case as a clipboard. That was the only exception, though. This was one heck of a great few weeks at Big Lots!!!

PopcornBandit
08-01-09, 03:22 PM
Checked out three Big Lots today, with two of them having been visited on Thursday.

Gastonia, NC - A couple of copies of Joey, one copy of season two of Tracey Takes On (I bought it) and a few copies of season one (which I also bought). That's about it for that store.

Pinewood - Nothing new at all to report.

Cedar Springs - Same as Pinewood

It seems as if the well has finally dried up. = / Ah well, it was fun while it lasted.

jeffbase34
08-01-09, 04:12 PM
I checked out my Big Lots and they had a ton of sets. I couldn't believe it. Mine had Drew Carey Show, Nip Tuck, ER, Dukes, Popeye, Smallville, and some huge mega sets like History of Rock n Roll and Super Bowl collection. All for 3 - 6 bucks each. I got Smallville S7 blu-ray for 6 bucks!

Of course, the dorks on Amazon are selling it 11 bucks, less than the SD version. lol

ratnamedted
08-01-09, 04:36 PM
I was doing my normal trip yesterday and as I was leaving I noticed a full shopping cart of box sets. Employees were putting the security bar on the back of them. I asked and started digging through them hoping I would find one of the Looney Tunes sets, but they were all $6 dvds that were reported in the first set last month. I did manage to pick up a few that I hadn't gotten yet like Scooby-Doo Where are You Season 3, Thundercats season 1 Vol 1 (the 6 disc box), Looney Tunes Spotlight Collection 2 and Animaniacs Vol 1.

Moral of the story is: don't despair yet. They might not get any new shipments but there is a good chance some stores still have boxes of dvds lurking in storage. There apparently isnt any company-wide policy to remove them from shelves.

Razrbac77
08-01-09, 04:36 PM
I checked out my Big Lots and they had a ton of sets. I couldn't believe it. Mine had Drew Carey Show, Nip Tuck, ER, Dukes, Popeye, Smallville, and some huge mega sets like History of Rock n Roll and Super Bowl collection. All for 3 - 6 bucks each. I got Smallville S7 blu-ray for 6 bucks!

Of course, the dorks on Amazon are selling it 11 bucks, less than the SD version. lol

What is your location?

Razrbac77
08-01-09, 04:48 PM
I was doing my normal trip yesterday and as I was leaving I noticed a full shopping cart of box sets. Employees were putting the security bar on the back of them. I asked and started digging through them hoping I would find one of the Looney Tunes sets, but they were all $6 dvds that were reported in the first set last month. I did manage to pick up a few that I hadn't gotten yet like Scooby-Doo Where are You Season 3, Thundercats season 1 Vol 1 (the 6 disc box), Looney Tunes Spotlight Collection 2 and Animaniacs Vol 1.

Moral of the story is: don't despair yet. They might not get any new shipments but there is a good chance some stores still have boxes of dvds lurking in storage. There apparently isnt any company-wide policy to remove them from shelves.

What is your location?

ratnamedted
08-01-09, 04:51 PM
Little Rock, AR... that would be a bit of a drive from MO. Mine had all the same sets that jeffbase34 mentioned as well.

ProfessorEcho
08-01-09, 04:51 PM
Update from the Niles, IL store in the Chicago area:

Nothing. A few of the first wave titles, probably returns, OC, DUKES, NIGHTMARES & DREAMSCAPES, just a spit of the original $6.00 titles.. This store had one minor burst a few Sundays ago with a few second wave titles, but otherwise that's it, nothing new since then other than providing a continual inspiration for wasting time.

PixarFan1988
08-01-09, 04:55 PM
I went out to my local Big Lots today, but really did not find much that interested me. There were some box sets like Pebbles and BammBamm, Josie & the Pussycats, The Dukes of Hazzard, and Joey, but no Looney Tunes, Flintstones or Popeye the Sailor sets to my disappointment.

I only bought

Pinky and the Brain Vol 2 - 6.00
Kung Fu Hustle (in foolscreen unfortunately) - 3.00
Stan Lee's Mutants, Monsters & Marvels - 3.00

Razrbac77
08-01-09, 04:59 PM
Little Rock, AR... that would be a bit of a drive from MO. Mine had all the same sets that jeffbase34 mentioned as well.

Thanks. Yes it would, but while we're here...Go Hogs.

thrall
08-01-09, 05:16 PM
I picked up:

The Wild Bunch The Original Director's Cut $3
Collateral Damage $3
Above The Law / Hard To Kill double feature $3

This was at the Spring Valley, CA Biglots. I couldn't find much else that I wanted. But I'm happy with what I got.

doctaheath78
08-01-09, 05:23 PM
I saw 2 IMAX Collections today...................UNFORTUANTELY it was at Best Buy for $99.99 each. I laughed when I saw the price. :)

BYork
08-01-09, 05:28 PM
San Francisco/East Bay update:

EVERYTHING is gone now except for Dukes of Hazzard, Night Court S1, and War at Home S1. (Antioch, Concord, and Dublin stores)

Luvmovies24
08-01-09, 05:59 PM
Duarte, Ca:
Nothing new and no $10 sets
They did have a few Pinky & the Brain V1 and a restock of the $6 titles including the Superbowl sets and lots of various Scooby boxsets.

Pasadena, Ca:
Same old stuff

Hohum.

b2net
08-01-09, 06:09 PM
Duarte, Ca:
Nothing new and no $10 sets
They did have a few Pinky & the Brain V1 and a restock of the $6 titles including the Superbowl sets and lots of various Scooby boxsets.

Pasadena, Ca:
Same old stuff

Hohum.

Scooby Box Sets or Season 1&2?

bloopbleep
08-01-09, 06:15 PM
Or Portsmouth. Still a half-ish open case of Popeye there on the floor this morning, and a few stragglers like common Flintstones sets, Dastardly & Muttley, Life Goes On S1, War At Home S1.

went to Nashua,nh and nothing new. a few joeys and dukes. I did pick up a csi pc game for my wife for $6. Nashua seemed only to get the first wave or was picked over by the time I got here for my second trip?

bwsmom
08-01-09, 06:26 PM
I picked up:

The Wild Bunch The Original Director's Cut $3
Collateral Damage $3
Above The Law / Hard To Kill double feature $3

This was at the Spring Valley, CA Biglots. I couldn't find much else that I wanted. But I'm happy with what I got.

Holy cow!! Spring Valley got a BigLots?!?! Man... it's been a LONG time since I went to high school there (Mt. Miguel).

Snooples
08-01-09, 06:35 PM
I hadn't set foot in a Big Lots for more than a week, but I was in Campbellsville yesterday and decided to drop by the store there - just in case, y'know. (No, I'm not addicted; I can quit any time I want. No, really.) I hadn't visited that particular store before, so I can't say what they might have had earlier, but at this point there was only one four-sided display with a combination of $3 and $6 stuff. There were several copies each of some of the usual suspects from the first wave: OC S2, Dallas S7, West Wing S2, Nip/Tuck S4, Roots: TNG, Nightmares and Dreamscapes, JOEY S1 OMG! I also saw (and picked up a couple for trade - see post #886 on p. 36 of the Big Lots exchange thread) the following from the $3 wave:

(Except where noted, there were 2 or 3 remaining copies of each.)

Josie and the Pussycats: The Complete Series
Flintstones S3 (one left)
Top Cat: The Complete Series
Larry King Live: The Greatest Interviews
Lois and Clark S1 and S3
Wacky Races: The Complete Series (one left)
Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm: The Complete Series
Popeye the Sailor V1: 1933-1938 (about half a dozen left)
Appleseed Ex Machina steelbook (at least half a dozen left)
Adventures of Superman (George Reeves - can't recall which season(s), but there was only one copy)

There were also lots of $3 single discs, including a few - like The Flower of My Secret (Almodóvar) - that I hadn't seen elsewhere. No Looney Tunes or any of the other elusive $10 sets, of course. :(

rmw650
08-01-09, 07:02 PM
It's been a couple of weeks, and I've been back and forth and around so many times, but I think it was the one in Markham that I saw the mother lode (though I only opted for a single Kubrick and a single Looney Tunes). I then hit the one on 183rd, swung over to Highland, and then the Cal City location on my way home. The 183rd still had some Looney Tunes at the time, and Cal City had some good $3 sets. Highland never had anything good in my three or four visits there.

Everything's long gone now, of course.

Thanks for the update, Preterirte. By this time now, those sets are probably LONG gone. Thanks for checking.

rmw650
08-01-09, 07:07 PM
Update from the Niles, IL store in the Chicago area:

Nothing. A few of the first wave titles, probably returns, OC, DUKES, NIGHTMARES & DREAMSCAPES, just a spit of the original $6.00 titles.. This store had one minor burst a few Sundays ago with a few second wave titles, but otherwise that's it, nothing new since then other than providing a continual inspiration for wasting time.

Saves me a trip from going into that location then. Thanks Echo!

Proglodite
08-01-09, 07:49 PM
Lucky for me my sister-in-law needed to do some shopping in Ralegh, NC today. The Western Blvd location must have just finished putting out the last of their $3 sets just before we got there (approx. 4pm). Lots of Superman (no S1 though), tons of Hanna Barbara stuff (Josie, Wacky Races, Flinstones, etc) some of the Batman animated series, etc. I loaded up the shopping cart - about $100. I'll be posting a list of duplicates in the trade section later this weekend.

The two other Raleigh locations I went had nothing new: Cary, NC and the one in North Raleigh on New Bern.

Sadly, no Crypts, no Roots, no Looney Tunes...

Peter

DirkBelig
08-01-09, 08:22 PM
Hit Eastpointe, MI this afternoon and got:

* Private Parts (Paul Bartel film, not Howard Stern)
* Bordello of Blood
* Postcards from the Edge
* Tracey Takes On S1
* Adaptation (Superbit)
* Josie & the Pussycats: Complete Series
* God, The Devil and Bob: Complete Series
* Melvin and Howard
* Wise Guys
* Richard Jeni: A Big Steaming Pile of Me
* Appleseed Ex Machina 2-disc deluxe Beast Buy Steelbook edition (bought 3, plenty left, some in PC games/books area)

Mr. Flix
08-01-09, 08:22 PM
That *might* work with a slow moving thread, which is unusual enough here at DVD Talk, but is still considered by most to be poor etiquette. You should, at the very least, attempt to go back a full day or two "just in case" for most threads on this site.

Thanks. I consider myself thoroughly chastised. Fun forum, BTW.

jgorow
08-01-09, 08:41 PM
wnt to a couple of locations in south florida, now that the box sets have pretty much dried up, the single disc movies were heavily!! picked over. they did have some motorcycle stunt riding dvds for $2, but no interest to me

mstrox
08-01-09, 09:10 PM
Central PA locations (Camp Hill, Harrisburg) still a bust. Giving up my 3-a-week visits until I hear about something legitimate at one of those stores.

all24mend
08-01-09, 09:35 PM
In the past week, I've gotten a few new $3.00 DVDs from Big Lots:

Corrina, Corrina
The Mask (Jim Carrey)
In Love and War (Sandra Bullock)
Man's Best Friend
Running on Empty
Safe Passage (Susan Sarandon)
Undertow
Dark Blue

I've been looking for any Smallville box sets at three Big Lots stores near me, but I haven't had ANY luck for the past couple weeks :(

Johnny Zhivago
08-01-09, 09:37 PM
I hadn't set foot in a Big Lots for more than a week, but I was in Campbellsville yesterday and decided to drop by the store there - just in case, y'know.

The more rural areas may still have some stock... But you're SOL in the larger towns/cities now, me thinks.

I passed through Mt. Sterling on Tuesday evening and they had quite a few HB sets available, and others. I traded Flintstones and Adventures of Superman here and picked up Tales S3 (the only Tales in the store) for myself.

So, yeah, in the smaller markets there may still be some available. I may be back that way this week, of course, I'll check.

mstrox
08-01-09, 09:48 PM
There's a used CD store in the same plaza as Big Lots, and - lah dee dah - they certainly have plenty of copies of Tales From The Crypt, The OC, Friends, and Hanna Barbara cartoons, all priced at the super-low price of $13+. Certainly more copies of these shows than they had a month ago! Wonder why.

ron lee green
08-01-09, 09:50 PM
http://www.tvshowsondvd.net/graphics/covers3/8933_s.jpg

I noticed that Warner is releasing a single disc version of The New Scooby-Doo Movies - Double Feature with Batman & Globetrotters on 8/11, so they'll probably lose money on it because people already bought the 4-disc set at Big Lots for $6.00!

jgorow
08-01-09, 10:03 PM
There's a used CD store in the same plaza as Big Lots, and - lah dee dah - they certainly have plenty of copies of Tales From The Crypt, The OC, Friends, and Hanna Barbara cartoons, all priced at the super-low price of $13+. Certainly more copies of these shows than they had a month ago! Wonder why.

I can never buy dvd box sets at a pawn shop, they will usually sell single movies for 3-4 dollars, but when they get box sets, they think they have solid gold there and price it like that. on average, most pawn shops i go into ask about $20 buck on a used dvd box set, and maybe, just maybe, will drop down to $15, like they are doing you some big favor. there is one pawn shop i go into from time to time, where they have a copy of "a team-season 1" sitting behind the counter that has been there for over a year, and everytime i ask, he holds firm at $20

SpinalGuffman
08-01-09, 10:54 PM
I can never buy dvd box sets at a pawn shop, they will usually sell single movies for 3-4 dollars, but when they get box sets, they think they have solid gold there and price it like that. on average, most pawn shops i go into ask about $20 buck on a used dvd box set, and maybe, just maybe, will drop down to $15, like they are doing you some big favor. there is one pawn shop i go into from time to time, where they have a copy of "a team-season 1" sitting behind the counter that has been there for over a year, and everytime i ask, he holds firm at $20Agree. This is a retarded practice. There are a few pawn shops I frequent with the same mentality. Unless they keep picking up the same shows, same seasons, they are sitting on stuff for years sometimes.

Used sets should be in the $8 - $12 range per season for most shows.

MooMooMooMoo
08-02-09, 12:30 AM
The box sets I found at the Rutland, VT, store today were slashed over the UPC code, a clear indication that they were intended to be discarded and not to be distributed to retailers.

Regardless of their stock's provenance, the Rutland, VT store has multiple copies of Animaniacs Vol. 2
Pinky & the Brain Vol. 2
The West Wing Season 2
Birdman and the Galaxy Trio
Wait Til Your Father Gets Home
Popeye Theatrical Shorts Vol 1
The War At Home
Night Court Season 1

all for $3.

I also bought a lot of Warner single titles for $3 each, like Brick, Anna Christie, The Horse Soldiers, and Day for Night (Truffaut for $3!),

Slashed upc's mean that they are discounted titles that ARE meant for resale. The slash is to prevent returns from the retailer to the manufacturer.

dullboy
08-02-09, 12:50 AM
The big flea market in Austin burned down today. I wonder if any WB boxsets went up in flames.

jgorow
08-02-09, 12:51 AM
Agree. This is a retarded practice. There are a few pawn shops I frequent with the same mentality. Unless they keep picking up the same shows, same seasons, they are sitting on stuff for years sometimes.

I went into a pawn shop recently where they had a couple of seasons of south park that I wanted, I offered them 10 bucks each and they laughed at me

SpinalGuffman
08-02-09, 01:11 AM
The big flea market in Austin burned down today. I wonder if any WB boxsets went up in flames.Is it bad to almost hope they did?

SpinalGuffman
08-02-09, 01:14 AM
I went into a pawn shop recently where they had a couple of seasons of south park that I wanted, I offered them 10 bucks each and they laughed at me Unless it was seasons 10+ that was a completely reasonable offer. And even for 10+ its just a good deal, you wouldn't be ripping them off.

I do love the obscure $3 dvds you can dig up at pawn shops though.

And the Sparkomatic electric guitars.

My Other Self
08-02-09, 01:42 AM
Is it bad to almost hope they did?I think it's a conspiracy by most of the people here that hate Joey.

mike07
08-02-09, 01:48 AM
Agree. This is a retarded practice. There are a few pawn shops I frequent with the same mentality. Unless they keep picking up the same shows, same seasons, they are sitting on stuff for years sometimes.

The pawn shop I frequent charges $3 a disc for DVDs...They don't care if something is OOP or hard-to-find. Most TV seasons I've seen there only have like, 4 discs so obviously they would sell TV seasons for $12.

Haven't been to any that have separate prices for box sets & single-disc DVDs.

back on-topic: Nothing @ my local BL - will check another store Monday.

doctaheath78
08-02-09, 01:53 AM
I saw today in South Florida and picked up:

Life Goes On S 1
Tracey Takes on S 2
Jacques Cousteau
Veronica Mars S 2

They had put out 12 box sets that the manager said they found sitting in the back.

Anyone need any of them......PM me with your trade list.

SpinalGuffman
08-02-09, 02:14 AM
I think it's a conspiracy by most of the people here that hate Joey.That was not me at the Austin flea market today with the gasoline, and old rags, and matches, and dry bales of straw, and fuses, and fireworks, and wadded up newspapers.

And blasting caps.

Asking the DVD dealer, "How you doin'?"

Wasn't me.

FlamedLiquid
08-02-09, 02:57 AM
The pawn shop I frequent charges $3 a disc for DVDs...They don't care if something is OOP or hard-to-find. Most TV seasons I've seen there only have like, 4 discs so obviously they would sell TV seasons for $12.

Haven't been to any that have separate prices for box sets & single-disc DVDs.

back on-topic: Nothing @ my local BL - will check another store Monday.

Wish I had a pawn shop by me like that. be awesome to find Criterion dvds there.

Luvmovies24
08-02-09, 03:04 AM
Scooby Box Sets or Season 1&2?

Here is what they had (along with various 2pks of scooby movies)
Scooby Doo, Where Are You! - The Complete Third Season
The Best of the New Scooby-Doo Movies
The Scooby-Doo Collection (yellow box)

Hope that helps :)

kenbenobi
08-02-09, 06:52 AM

I'm jealous of that one. Never found the seasons in my stores...

MooMooMooMoo
08-02-09, 07:05 AM
Wish I had a pawn shop by me like that. be awesome to find Criterion dvds there.

I have haunted pawn shops for years, & the only Crierions I've ever seen are lots of copies of Royal Tennenbaums, lots of Finding Amy's & 1 copy of Sullivan's Travels (which believe me I grabbed!).

These days, at least in western Wa state most of the the pawn shops are now paying so little that most of what they're getting is junk.

b2net
08-02-09, 09:53 AM
The Best of the New Scooby-Doo Movies
The Scooby-Doo Collection (yellow box)

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for the clarification...

chard31
08-02-09, 12:25 PM
Went to a BL I don't usually goto and the racks were completely picked over with nothing "good" left but then I se 2 huge stacks of dvd box sets sitting on the floor...

BINGO!!!

As I look over them, a guy comes over and says that they are all his...

There were 4 and 5 copies of the same sets throughout the piles...

I asked him why he is buying ALL of the sets and he turns to me with a big smile and says, "EBAY!"...

I told him that hundreds of people are doing the same exact thing and the market is flooded with these titles and that he won't become rich from these sales...

He just looked at me and said, "We'll see."

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR...

mike07
08-02-09, 12:39 PM

It's not a good thing in this case, all they ever have is the regular $5 walmart bin stuff and BL titles...

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
08-02-09, 12:54 PM
I have haunted pawn shops for years, & the only Crierions I've ever seen are lots of copies of Royal Tennenbaums, lots of Finding Amy's & 1 copy of Sullivan's Travels 9which believe me I grabbed!).

I refuse to believe you've never run across Armageddon, which everyone seems to find at pawn shops.

ProfessorEcho
08-02-09, 01:07 PM
Update from the NILES, IL Big Lots in the Chicago area:

Went at opening today as per the store manager's recommendation that any new stock delivered on Friday doesn't appear on the floor until Sunday morning. However, he had also cautioned me that just because they get new deliveries every Friday, it doesn't mean there are any DVDs amongst them. Such was the case today, nothing new and even then one of the more pathetic selections of nothing old as well. So this store seems to definitely be out of the loop and no more special trips for me. I am finally coming to terms with the fact that the party's over, it's time to call it a day.

Still have TRACEY TAKES ON Season 2 and DUKES OF HAZZARD Season 4 for trade and have posted same in the Exchange thread.

jgorow
08-02-09, 01:10 PM
Went to a BL I don't usually goto and the racks were completely picked over with nothing "good" left but then I se 2 huge stacks of dvd box sets sitting on the floor...

BINGO!!!

I asked him why he is buying ALL of the sets and he turns to me with a big smile and says, "EBAY!"...

I told him that hundreds of people are doing the same exact thing and the market is flooded with these titles and that he won't become rich from these sales...

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR...

if they were on the floor when you went over, I would have fought with the guy, and if he made a scene, i would have gotten the manager involved!

bwsmom
08-02-09, 01:34 PM
if they were on the floor when you went over, I would have fought with the guy, and if he made a scene, i would have gotten the manager involved!

Agreed.

However, it's the Ebayer's loss, as he will soon find out (and ain't that just about the best justice we all can get in situations like this... knowing that he's going to get home all happy, fire up his computer, start checking listings and... "AWWW CRAP!!! They ain't worth squat!!" - especially when you factor in Ebay's fees, shipping materials, etc.) And since every other market is flooded with the same titles as well... :toast:

jgorow
08-02-09, 02:43 PM
Agreed.

However, it's the Ebayer's loss, as he will soon find out (and ain't that just about the best justice we all can get in situations like this... knowing that he's going to get home all happy, fire up his computer, start checking listings and... "AWWW CRAP!!! They ain't worth squat!!" - especially when you factor in Ebay's fees, shipping materials, etc.) And since every other market is flooded with the same titles as well... :toast:

my point was, he walked over to the dvds on the sales floor and someone else walked over and grabbed them all and said "mine", I would have raised quite!! a ruckus. its like, if you went into the supermarket to get a box of fruit loops, and as you walked down the cereal aisle, as you approached the fruit loops, some idiot ran over and grabbed every box and said "mine!" in my younger days, if someone pulled that crap, I prob would have decked him, right then and there

jgorow
08-02-09, 03:01 PM
if you missed the lois and clark box sets at big lots, check this out, prices on amazon marketplace for lois and clark season 1 -

108 new from $3.54
57 used from $3.09
and, 1 collectible from, get this, the low-low bargain price of $65.99 (such a deal considering its $39.49 new direct from amazon)

FlamedLiquid
08-02-09, 03:02 PM
my point was, he walked over to the dvds on the sales floor and someone else walked over and grabbed them all and said "mine", I would have raised quite!! a ruckus. its like, if you went into the supermarket to get a box of fruit loops, and as you walked down the cereal aisle, as you approached the fruit loops, some idiot ran over and grabbed every box and said "mine!" in my younger days, if someone pulled that crap, I prob would have decked him, right then and there

this. Especially if the guy didnt actually have them in a cart or his possession. Theres no way he could carry all those up without a cart. I would of just grabbed some.

bwsmom
08-02-09, 03:10 PM

Oh, hey, I don't disagree with you at all, but I'm in a bit of a passive-aggressive mode at the moment, so I personally would be happy with knowing that the $3-$6 he's spending per set were going to result in financial losses for the schmuck.

On the other hand, my fluctuating maternity moods might just work to the poor guy's detriment, as I'd be more than happy to hold your coat while you carried out your own form of much more immediate justice! :D

SpinalGuffman
08-02-09, 03:42 PM

BINGO!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR...What a PUNK. he should have at least let you go through and pick out anything you wanted. Actually, he wouldn't have been "letting" you do anything -- he had ZERO claim on them if they weren't in his cart. They weren't even in his possession when you saw them.

Out of curiosity, what sets were there?

statcat
08-02-09, 03:45 PM

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR...

The guy will make a few dollars at the most if he's lucky and I kind of doubt he would even make that. Talk about greedy though, serves him right to not make anything.

Gizmo
08-02-09, 04:02 PM
Love all the 'big' talk in this thread.

Pizza
08-02-09, 04:03 PM
What a PUNK. he should have at least let you go through and pick out anything you wanted. Actually, he wouldn't have been "letting" you do anything -- he had ZERO claim on them if they weren't in his cart. They weren't even in his possession when you saw them.

Out of curiosity, what sets were there?

He took the sets out of the official display. I think that's claim enough. It was stupid that he walked away but he obviously was keeping his eye on his stuff.

Kent2000
08-02-09, 04:51 PM
He took the sets out of the official display. I think that's claim enough. It was stupid that he walked away but he obviously was keeping his eye on his stuff.

The original poster said he was looking over the "4 and 5 copies of the same sets" as the guy walked up, so I'm assuming he didn't see any titles that interested him and thus didn't feel the need to make too huge a deal about it, other than to acknowledge that the eBay market is already oversaturated with these titles. I don't know, if there had been a title I was looking for, perhaps I would have taken a single copy for myself and see how big an issue the other guy wanted to make over it. I'm assuming the guy left the stack on the floor so he could go grab a cart, but it didn't sound like it was too big a stack for him to take with him in the first place (unless the only available carts were outside). Personally, I don't see where any shopper has a claim on any item unless it's in their cart or clutched in their hands. Stacking items on the floor next to the display while you walk away doesn't equate ownership.

SpinalGuffman
08-02-09, 05:02 PM
Stacking items on the floor next to the display while you walk away doesn't equate ownership.This.

mythmaker18
08-02-09, 05:02 PM

I got the impression they were sitting in boxes because they hadn't been loaded into the display yet. If that was the case, I'd be with most of you in saying he had absolutely zero claim to them.

I''d like to think I've have called him on it and gotten a manager involved.

jgorow
08-02-09, 05:15 PM
I got the impression they were sitting in boxes because they hadn't been loaded into the display yet. If that was the case, I'd be with most of you in saying he had absolutely zero claim to them.

I''d like to think I've have called him on it and gotten a manager involved.

I am sure the manager would have made the "hog" cough up 1 copy for the other guy

doctaheath78
08-02-09, 05:18 PM
Found buried in South Florida today 2 SEALED copies of Flintstones S 3. :)

Chad
08-02-09, 05:32 PM

I don't know. I've been known to do the same due to the less-than-sanitary conditions of the carts and baskets. But, I always keep them within arm's reach, watch them closely through the corner of my eye and never walk away. And the guy was clearly a scumbag. ;)

kyle
08-02-09, 06:03 PM
In Nashua, NH store today I saw a couple copies of Tracey Takes On S1, War at Home S1 (each $3) and lots of copies of Joey S1 and Dukes of Hazzard S5 ($6 each)

jgorow
08-02-09, 07:10 PM
Found buried in South Florida today 2 SEALED copies of Flintstones S 3. :)

its quite possible that I buried them for you doc, a little over a week ago, once I started seeing all the greed going on, I started burying some things that were desirable but I didnt need in hopes that they would go to good homes, kind of like a dvd robin hood, lol

doctaheath78
08-02-09, 07:13 PM
its quite possible that I buried them for you doc, a little over a week ago, once I started seeing all the greed going on, I started burying some things that were desirable but I didnt need in hopes that they would go to good homes, kind of like a dvd robin hood, lol

Well it was in Coconut Creek, FL and I REALLY APPRECAITE IT. :)

keylimeroth
08-02-09, 07:56 PM
Here's some news. Not sure if its true but...

Someone posted today on the Monster kids classic forum dvd section that they bought the following from Big Lots today for 6 bucks a piece:

Val Lewton collection
Warner Horror Legends

If this is true, those are pretty good deals but no one else on here has spotted them so who the hell knows? The guy was a senior poster and is located in California.

CapeCodKidinLA
08-02-09, 08:16 PM
Went to Big Lots on Vineland in North Hollywood. They had a bunch of Pinky and the Brain Season 2 and The History of Rock and Roll.

There were also a few other sets:
Jacques Cousteau (1 set)
Superman 5/6 (1 set)
Drew Carey Season 1 (1 set)
Full House ??? Season (1 set)

A few others of the stuff that seems to pop up everywhere. Just thought someone might need these.

bears9
08-02-09, 08:19 PM
I guess I'm the only person here that likes the Ebay horders.I mean if you can't make a trade for it here just head-on over to ebay get what ever set you want for 10 bucks.I mean I bought 2 dvd sets off ebay paid 10 each for them and was glad for the price,found the sets later myself but I would still have paid the 10 spot to get a set I need.Alot cheaper than REPEATED TRIPS to BL.Just my change thought

greyslade
08-02-09, 09:36 PM
Bwa hah hah hahhhhh! Hilarious. New DVD Tales from the Crypt: The Complete Seasons 1-7 on eBay for $233.00.

jgorow
08-02-09, 10:26 PM
Bwa hah hah hahhhhh! Hilarious. New DVD Tales from the Crypt: The Complete Seasons 1-7 on eBay for $233.00.

it wouldnt even cost that much of you went into best buy and bought each volume at full retail, read the auction again, it must come with a bluray player or something

SpinalGuffman
08-02-09, 10:27 PM
it wouldnt even cost that much of you went into best buy and bought each volume at full retail$115 at Amazon new.

zombeaner
08-02-09, 10:42 PM

Someone posted today on the Monster kids classic forum dvd section that they bought the following from Big Lots today for 6 bucks a piece:

Val Lewton collection
Warner Horror Legends

If this is true, those are pretty good deals but no one else on here has spotted them so who the hell knows? The guy was a senior poster and is located in California.

Those would be awesome, I bought those sets new at full price and it was money well spent.

jgorow
08-02-09, 11:22 PM
$115 at Amazon new.

I laugh when I see the one listing on an item in amazon marketplace as "collectable" is like double what everyone else is getting for the same identical item

Brent L
08-02-09, 11:28 PM
My girlfriend is the best. She went to the Big Lots close to where she works the other day, called me, and said she bought Flintstones seasons 4 and 6 for me since she remembered me mentioning I only needed those to complete my Flintstones set. :D

I went to the same Big Lots today, and while they did have a number of the $3 sets, they didn't have any of the Flintstones sets left, so I'm very glad she bought those two for me.

They told me that they get their truck up there (NC) on Tuesdays, and put stuff out by Wednesday or Thursday.

JohnIan
08-03-09, 12:07 AM
Store#: 04238

San Bernardino, CA

There was a restock. Just the $3.00 stuff though.

Found a target, "Wife Verse Secretary". Saw it a while back and was curious, read the reviews on Amazon and decided to pick it up, but when I returned it was gone. Now I have it, cool.

Also found something on my list for a couple of years, "Critters 2". Awesome! My only complaint is that the insert is all trashed up - like a kid crushed it and tried to unfold it flat.

Lastly was a title I haven't seen in perhaps fifteen - twenty years, "Mister Roberts".

That's it. No new sets.

Correction. I did see something new; "Bridzilla: Season 2". Saw two copies.

- - - - - -

Question.

How many of you guys and gals have run into the same people at other stores. I was at the SB store last month and shortly went to Colton Big Lots since I couldn't find what I wanted and ran into the same guy. Also looking for particular box sets.

Alan Smithee
08-03-09, 12:23 AM
What's the deal with the "Collectible" listings on Amazon Marketplace anyways? I've seen some for things that are still in print, but they want some ridiculous amount for them. Does anyone actually buy from these people?

My area looks like it's dried up, but it's kind of a mixed blessing since I REALLY need to save some money for a new TV- I've been spending tons of money on stuff to watch on it once I get it!

SpinalGuffman
08-03-09, 12:24 AM
I laugh when I see the one listing on an item in amazon marketplace as "collectable" is like double what everyone else is getting for the same identical itemNever understood that either.

beebs
08-03-09, 12:52 AM
Found a target, "Wife Verse Secretary". Saw it a while back and was curious, read the reviews on Amazon and decided to pick it up, but when I returned it was gone. Now I have it, cool.

This is a great 30s comedy staring Myrna Loy (wife), Clark Gable (husband), Jean Harlow (secretary), and in an early role, Jimmy Stewart. Surprisingly frank and sophisicated look life at home and work, and how easy it is for a good thing to go bad.

Hard to imagine that Harlow would be dead a year after this film. Shame.

Another 30s gem is I Am Fugitive From A Chain Gang, watch out for this one... it's from a Warner Box Set (Controversial Classics, Vol. 1) and doesn't have a title sticker on the top. But if you look through all the DVDs without a label, I'll bet you find this one.

MooMooMooMoo
08-03-09, 01:04 AM

Val Lewton collection
Warner Horror Legends

I saw the Warner Horror legends set somewhere recently discounted (sorry I really can't remember where), but it was more like $20 then $6; these would be great finds!

MooMooMooMoo
08-03-09, 01:08 AM

You would really FIGHT with someone over dvd's they were purchasing...........

IMO, this stuff is getting out of hand.

beebs
08-03-09, 02:03 AM

Val Lewton collection
Warner Horror Legends

Wow, that Val Lewton set is nice and like so many deal at Big Lots, incredible for $6.

hindolio
08-03-09, 02:11 AM
What's the deal with the "Collectible" listings on Amazon Marketplace anyways? I've seen some for things that are still in print, but they want some ridiculous amount for them. Does anyone actually buy from these people?...

"collectable" listings on amazon could mean a lot of different things. for examples:

- a dvd that is signed by one of the actors or directors or whoever
- a retail store exclusive version of the dvd
- an oop edition of the dvd that doesnt have its own listing for whatever reason
- etc

:D

jgorow
08-03-09, 05:23 AM
"collectable" listings on amazon could mean a lot of different things. for examples:

- a dvd that is signed by one of the actors or directors or whoever
- a retail store exclusive version of the dvd
- an oop edition of the dvd that doesnt have its own listing for whatever reason
- etc

:D

or, it could just mean someone trying to get double what everyone else is for the same item, lol

MooMooMooMoo
08-03-09, 05:40 AM
or, it could just mean someone trying to get double what everyone else is for the same item, lol

Yep. I think that's usually the case. Good luck finding someone to pay it, though!

Proglodite
08-03-09, 06:36 AM
Listing an item as "Collectible" is a good way to list something at a super high price...and just wait for a time when it may go out of print. At that point, it does become 'collectible'.

I did this a few years ago with the "Homicide" box set. I'd picked this up during the Buy 1 Get 1 Free at Deep Discount. I knew it would be a long time before I'd get around to watching it, so I listed it at some outrageous amount ($250?)...and promptly forgot about it. Then, six months later I get an e-mail that it's sold(!).

I currently have my "Dangerman" megaset listed at a ridiculous price...every now and again I'll check the listing and at least once I had the lowest price. It hasn't sold yet, and that doesn't bother me. I'd love to hold on to it...but if I can get 4 or 5 times what I paid for it, then I'd be a fool to hold on to it (esp. when I can borrow it from a friend).

Peter

Pizza
08-03-09, 08:20 AM

Thank you. I thought I was the only thinking this. I feel sorry for any manager that may have to be dragged in as referee.

House13
08-03-09, 08:47 AM

Alright, I just read through all this stuff and something similar happened to me, albeit this was during the first wave of stuff. Some guy had placed them on a shelf right next to the DVDs and walked away. So I assumed he was done and told the wife to check those out, since she was with me and looking desperately for ER. Well the stack had two ERs and she took them. The guy came back about 2 minutes later and started complaining about "his stuff" missing. He looked at my hands, nothing. Then he saw the ER in my wife's hands and started throwing a fit about how that was his stuff..blah blah blah. Needless to say I told him to back off and leave my wife alone cause he was starting to get in her face. I grabbed the wife and we headed up front to check out, the whole time the guy was complaining and following us. We go outside and I get the wife in my truck (yes I still open doors for her, I am a gentleman after all). This guy is still bitching and is approaching fast, so I think fight! However once he saw me coming towards him with a full head of steam he ran right back into the store. Man was I pissed. It's one thing to mess with me, but you don't mess with my wife. Also, I wouldn't have had a problem if he had legitimate claim to the stuff. I mean lots of times people will place DVDs on the top of the four way rack while they are looking. I'll always ask if that stack is theirs before I try to see what's in it. But when he felt entitled to something he left on a shelf for several minutes, no one is going to win that argument with me. It may sound stupid over some DVDs but for me it's all about the principle of the matter. It's like the bartender that keeps your change. Yes I am giving you a tip, but don't assume I don't want change back, totally the principle of the matter. And even though it sounds childish I probably would of picked what I wanted out of the stack, taunted the guy for being stupid enough to leave his stuff on the floor (I mean if you have an inclination that you are trying to buy a ton of DVDs grab a cart when you first come in), and probably hit the stack so it slid all over the floor. Call me a bully if you will, which I'm not, but things like that just piss me off to no end.
Sorry for the long post, but that's my 2 cents.

jeffbase34
08-03-09, 08:50 AM
I see Popeye as dropped to $3.99 on Amazon. lol Keep going dumbasses. You might even beat Big Lots price! By comparison, the set is priced at $58 bucks on bn.com.

Phibes
08-03-09, 09:00 AM
1 collectible from, get this, the low-low bargain price of $65.99 (such a deal considering its $39.49 new direct from amazon)

I'll take twenty! Really, I've never understood why people put stuff as collectible, especially when the description makes it clear that you'll be getting the same stuff as the low priced merchandise, and mark it outrageously expensive.

It may go out of print one day, but until that day they have to store the stuff.

Kent2000
08-03-09, 12:11 PM
I've never understood why people put stuff as collectible ... It may go out of print one day, but until that day they have to store the stuff.

Maybe that's why it's a collectible, because they're the ones having to collect all that clutter until their presumed payoff arrives years from now!

jones
08-03-09, 01:17 PM
Alright, I just read through all this stuff and something similar happened to me, albeit this was during the first wave of stuff. Some guy had placed them on a shelf right next to the DVDs and walked away. So I assumed he was done and told the wife to check those out, since she was with me and looking desperately for ER. Well the stack had two ERs and she took them. The guy came back about 2 minutes later and started complaining about "his stuff" missing. He looked at my hands, nothing. Then he saw the ER in my wife's hands and started throwing a fit about how that was his stuff..blah blah blah. Needless to say I told him to back off and leave my wife alone cause he was starting to get in her face. I grabbed the wife and we headed up front to check out, the whole time the guy was complaining and following us. We go outside and I get the wife in my truck (yes I still open doors for her, I am a gentleman after all). This guy is still bitching and is approaching fast, so I think fight! However once he saw me coming towards him with a full head of steam he ran right back into the store. Man was I pissed. It's one thing to mess with me, but you don't mess with my wife. Also, I wouldn't have had a problem if he had legitimate claim to the stuff. I mean lots of times people will place DVDs on the top of the four way rack while they are looking. I'll always ask if that stack is theirs before I try to see what's in it. But when he felt entitled to something he left on a shelf for several minutes, no one is going to win that argument with me. It may sound stupid over some DVDs but for me it's all about the principle of the matter. It's like the bartender that keeps your change. Yes I am giving you a tip, but don't assume I don't want change back, totally the principle of the matter. And even though it sounds childish I probably would of picked what I wanted out of the stack, taunted the guy for being stupid enough to leave his stuff on the floor (I mean if you have an inclination that you are trying to buy a ton of DVDs grab a cart when you first come in), and probably hit the stack so it slid all over the floor. Call me a bully if you will, which I'm not, but things like that just piss me off to no end.

What store was this? I saw an asshole like that at the Watson Rd. store about a week and a half ago.

ProfessorEcho
08-03-09, 01:30 PM

I would have done exactly the same thing and agree with your stance. I'll never figure out people who suddenly assume that a public space is also their private space and that only their rules apply. And it's not just in a retail situation, it happens all the time in various venues that are for lack of a better phrase, "shared spaces." Or when was the last time you were in a movie theater and someone didn't converse or parade their cell phone throughout the movie? I was raised to be publicly conscientious and considerate, something that seems quite alien to many folks today.

Phibes
08-03-09, 02:13 PM
Don't have to worry about this at my BL as I checked at lunch today and the party seems to be over. Same old stuff that has been there all this time.

I would have done exactly the same thing and agree with your stance. I'll never figure out people who suddenly assume that a public space is also their private space and that only their rules apply. And it's not just in a retail situation, it happens all the time in various venues that are for lack of a better phrase, "shared spaces." Or when was the last time you were in a movie theater and someone didn't converse or parade their cell phone throughout the movie? I was raised to be publicly conscientious and considerate, something that seems quite alien to many folks today.

jgorow
08-03-09, 03:15 PM

its a shame that such vulgar displays of public behavior have become such common place

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
08-03-09, 06:06 PM
Love all the 'big' talk in this thread.

My Big Lots had a fortune teller machine at the front of the store with all the candy machines.

sdfan21
08-03-09, 06:08 PM
Just curious,
Anyone return any of the extra sets they have to Biglots?? I went to return a couple of sets and they were showing as being recalled and were having problems finding ways to give me back my refund

House13
08-03-09, 06:25 PM
What store was this? I saw an asshole like that at the Watson Rd. store about a week and a half ago.

It was the Kingshighway one. That store always has some interesting people, customers or employees.

kenbenobi
08-03-09, 06:48 PM
Just curious,
Anyone return any of the extra sets they have to Biglots?? I went to return a couple of sets and they were showing as being recalled and were having problems finding ways to give me back my refund
O O. If they are truly recalled (due to the lawsuit) and their system reflects as such, they probably won't let us buy any even if they have stock on their shelves. I hope it was just a fluke. Which sets did you try returning? And why didn't you ask me if I wanted them first? ;)

WMAangel
08-03-09, 06:51 PM
Just curious,

:lol:

Which ones? That is too funny...if they really did get "recalled", I bet it is WAY too late for most of them, as most stores seemed to be wiped out by now....

(FYI, I returned a couple Flintstones S2 today without a problem...)

JiM T
08-03-09, 06:54 PM
It was the Kingshighway one. That store always has some interesting people, customers or employees.

You got that right!

Preterite
08-03-09, 07:14 PM
I returned some stuff today without any problem. I looked around the store real quick - nothing new had been added - and noticed one of the clerks on his way to restock the shelves with my returns.

jeffbase34
08-03-09, 07:22 PM
Went by Big Lots today after work. They had even more sets than Saturday, a whole table full of Tales from the Crypt, Lois and Ckark, Flintstones, Murphy Brown, Night Court and Batman Animated season 4. I got some of the Batman sets. Too bad most of these seasons are ones I don't care to watch. I just can't get excited over ER, Lois and Clark or even West Wing.

Deal is definitely not dead!

sdfan21
08-03-09, 07:31 PM
O O. If they are truly recalled (due to the lawsuit) and their system reflects as such, they probably won't let us buy any even if they have stock on their shelves. I hope it was just a fluke. Which sets did you try returning? And why didn't you ask me if I wanted them first? ;)

kenbenobi,

It was murphy brown and a justice league collection (3 pack). i looked through the exchange forums but everyone seems to want tales from cypt 7, animaniacs vol3 as well as the pinky and the brain vol3 or the looney tunes 1-5 set :shrug: so i figured no one is gonna want these sets and since i got justice league a couple of days ago those episodes were already included. it must have taken them 20 minutes to figure it out! there were no more dvd sets just the basic 3 dollar dvds we have seen before the sales.

sdfan21
08-03-09, 07:37 PM
:lol:

Which ones? That is too funny...if they really did get "recalled", I bet it is WAY too late for most of them, as most stores seemed to be wiped out by now....

(FYI, I returned a couple Flintstones S2 today without a problem...)

that is great that you got a refund without the cashier asking for someone to help her then when the manager comes he has problems as well. who knows but yea it kept saying "item has been recalled no such item is in stock" on the cashiers monitor and would not let the cashier give refund automatically every time she scanned item and receipt :lol:

Keith123
08-03-09, 07:48 PM
Went by Big Lots today after work. They had even more sets than Saturday, a whole table full of Tales from the Crypt, Lois and Ckark, Flintstones, Murphy Brown, Night Court and Batman Animated season 4. I got some of the Batman sets. Too bad most of these seasons are ones I don't care to watch. I just can't get excited over ER, Lois and Clark or even West Wing.

Deal is definitely not dead!Excellent! Somewhere there is a table in a Big Lots somewhere that has some good stuff!

Razrbac77
08-03-09, 08:19 PM
Excellent! Somewhere there is a table in a Big Lots somewhere that has some good stuff!

Haha...yeah, I asked him Sat. - No reply.

I'm just going to "assume" this is my store and check one more time(I promise) as I'm finding sobriety sucks.

jgorow
08-03-09, 08:23 PM
found today-
final destination 3, 2 disc widescreen special edition for $3, been told that #3 is the best out of the series

also, a real classic that I dont recall seeing mentioned, sweet bird of youth, with paul newman, also $3

Doc Moonlight
08-03-09, 08:53 PM

Since the Kingshighway and Watson Road Stores are pretty close to each other, I wonder if each of you ran into the same hoarder at different stores.

yellahoosh
08-03-09, 08:53 PM
I went to my local stores but found nothing new besides Flintstones Season 2. Everything looks pretty well tapped out. I hope someone can confirm the Val Lewton collection - I'd knock myself out trying to find one.

Chop2Chip10
08-03-09, 08:57 PM
I went to the Modesto store on Prescott last week and they had just put some new sets out. Scooby Doo Movies, Super Bowl sets, Pinky and Brain Vol 1, Animaniacs Vol 1. I only picked up a Flintstones Seas 2 because it was sealed. Hadn't seen those sealed before.

b2net
08-03-09, 08:59 PM
Excellent! Somewhere there is a table in a Big Lots somewhere that has some good stuff!

I am so there!... Let's go...................
:banana:

Will M
08-03-09, 09:03 PM
found today-
final destination 3, 2 disc widescreen special edition for $3, been told that #3 is the best out of the series

whoever told you this was wrong. #1 & #2 are pretty good. #3 is bad. so so bad.

JumpCutz
08-03-09, 09:05 PM
I went to my local stores but found nothing new besides Flintstones Season 2. Everything looks pretty well tapped out. I hope someone can confirm the Val Lewton collection - I'd knock myself out trying to find one.

Yeah i went to a couple BL's in San Jose hoping to stumble upon the VLC.

No such luck...but that would be a major major find.

Sweet Baby James
08-03-09, 09:09 PM

It's not all bad. Don't forget the tanning booth scene.:D

SethDLH
08-03-09, 09:13 PM
I'm still willing to paypal/money order someone for a set of Tales From The Crypt season 6 and 7 :)

chris_sc77
08-03-09, 09:30 PM
Was season 7 ever even spotted by anyone?

jgorow
08-03-09, 09:38 PM

I have only seen 1 and 2 so far, and actually, I enjoyed the 2nd one better than the 1st, but I think that cheating death is actually a pretty good horror premise

pilot
08-03-09, 09:41 PM
went to a local Big Lots on Long Island. They had a stand in the store. Like three sides. Was a bunch of $3 and $6 dvds, along with some PC games. Only season stuff I saw was West Wing S2 and Tracey Takes On for $6 each. Never been there before, so I don't know what kind of DVDs they had in the past. Was kinda disappointed. Oh well.

rmw650
08-03-09, 11:07 PM

I actually saw them at Best Buy yesterday for roughly 35 a pop, but heard that TFTC S7 is a rare DVD in and of itself.

jgorow
08-03-09, 11:21 PM
I actually saw them at Best Buy yesterday for roughly 35 a pop, but heard that TFTC S7 is a rare DVD in and of itself.

$35 for 13 half hour episodes, I think you need a wheelbarrel to haul a set of balls that big

Cardsfan111
08-03-09, 11:48 PM

It's funny to read through the exchange threads. There's all kinds of sets listed as "wants" that I don't think were ever seen at a BL.

Will M
08-04-09, 12:35 AM
It's not all bad. Don't forget the tanning booth scene.:D

ok. funny, that is the only scene in the movie i remeber as being good. one of the problems for me was the roller coaster crash. in #1 we have a plane crash. in #2 a massive highway crash. in #3 a roller coaster???

SI78
08-04-09, 12:49 AM
#4 is rumoured to start with a couple falling off a rickshaw.

X
08-04-09, 01:02 AM
Again, closed for length.

And remember, trades belong here: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-exchange/496298-unofficial-big-lots-exchange-thread.html