Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Big Lots Part 6

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

MooMooMooMoo
07-29-09, 12:47 AM
I haven't seen any mention of $9 sets, but I found a shelf full of these today (Fairview Heights, IL).

They were all those 50 movie packs:

Family Fun 50 Movie Pack
Musicals Classics 50 Movie Pack
Suspense Classics 50 Movie Pack
Crime Classics 50 Movie Pack
Historic Classics 50 Movie Pack
Action Classics 50 Movie Pack
Chilling Classics 50 Movie Pack

...there may have been a couple more. There was one that was 80/90 movies that was something like Screen (or Hollywood) Legends. I didn't buy any, but thought someone may be interested in these.

Those hit Washington State last week.

Perkinsun Dzees
07-29-09, 01:10 AM
Not a Big Lots deal, but while at Rite Aid tonight, I saw they had Welcome Back Kotter S1 for $9.99. Considering how all the previous Warner Bros. Sets that were on clearance at Rite Aid (Lois and Clark, Murphy Brown, Veronica Mars, etc) showed up later at Big Lots, I have a feeling Kotter will be one of the next titles to show up at BL, hopefully for $3.

xage
07-29-09, 01:43 AM
Okay, this truly cracked me up! Here we all are, trying desperately to get the sets we're all drooling over, doing everything we can to outspend, outsmart and outlast the hoarders, and what happens... you end up in direct competition with another DVDTalker! Yikes!!!

Dude, such shit happens...

I end up bumping with some members here in Bestbuy and "that 4yrs ago great TARGET Fiasco"... thank God not yet in Big Lots

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5150/bl09.jpg

JAYARE
07-29-09, 02:15 AM

I end up bumping with some members here in Bestbuy and "that 4yrs ago great TARGET Fiasco"... thank God not yet in Big Lots

is that true blood a joke? i have yet to hear about that showing up.

Ralph_Furley
07-29-09, 02:45 AM
What store did you see the Deadwood Sets at?

Its Biglots
Nice.

I think he means...which Big Lots (city, town, or street).
TY.
Biglots - Pacoima City (Scary Place ... a lot of gangsters... heck even their sales associates got a lot of gangsta tatoos)
Thanks. Drag though. Even for Deadwood, I ain't driving to Pacoima. Too far from me. I'll wait and hope my local ones get them in.

EvlAsh
07-29-09, 03:55 AM

Hey Xage! Nice to see that you're still around. :)

In which Big Lots did you find Deadwood?

DonTHX1378
07-29-09, 04:11 AM
Is the True Blood set a joke like someone asked? If not that is going to be the new grail of Big Lots finds along with the Kubrick and Loony Tune sets.

Liverpool
07-29-09, 05:02 AM
From reading this forum for months, it appears to me that limited stuff (Woody Allen Boxes, Looney Toons Boxes, etc) is most likely to end up in the eastern part of the Midwest (Ohio for one, which I BELIEVE is BL headquarters??) & the northern east coast.

I'm in Toledo, and I've never spotted the Woody Allen boxes (which I would have snagged), and I personally know of the existence of only 2 Looney Tunes boxes (one bought about an hour before I got to one Big Lots, the other purchased by a fellow dvdtalker). I also never saw "City of Lost Children", which I would have picked up in a heartbeat.

Chet Desmond
07-29-09, 06:58 AM
From reading this forum for months, it appears to me that limited stuff (Woody Allen Boxes, Looney Toons Boxes, etc) is most likely to end up in the eastern part of the Midwest (Ohio for one, which I BELIEVE is BL headquarters??) & the northern east coast.

Well, at least there's one advantaged to living in that budget crunching, job losing state after all!

guitardedboy
07-29-09, 07:04 AM
I'm within driving distance of about 4 stores that I check periodically in Columbus.

I think the well is drying up....no new boxsets.....Will frequent this thread to see if action starts up again. But my obsession of driving to Big Lots has to stop, or my deals won't be deals with all the gas money I'm spending. :)

slappy
07-29-09, 07:22 AM
I'm within driving distance of about 4 stores that I check periodically in Columbus.

I think the well is drying up....no new boxsets.....Will frequent this thread to see if action starts up again. But my obsession of driving to Big Lots has to stop, or my deals won't be deals with all the gas money I'm spending. :)

Seems that way to me also. Over the past couple days, I've been at the Chillicothe, Circleville, Lancaster, Heath and Newark Big Lot stores and they've all been pretty much picked over.

terrycloth
07-29-09, 08:05 AM
pretty much all but frikkin joey is left at the local stores and have been replaced with a bunch of Nick/Disney tv show dvds for 4$ a piece.

Phibes
07-29-09, 08:18 AM
Oh noes! I read somewhere that Joey is going to be a valuable collector's item and I was going to hoard all that I could find! Oh the humanity! My get rich scheme has been quashed. I could've been back on top again! Well, if I wasn't getting an all expenses paid vacation in a government facility.

Mad as hell about Joey,
Bernie Madoff

pretty much all but frikkin joey is left at the local stores and have been replaced with a bunch of Nick/Disney tv show dvds for 4$ a piece.

Infusion07
07-29-09, 08:20 AM
I don't know....The Best of the New Scooby-Doo Movies, The War at Home, and Tracy Takes On.... seem to be giving Joey a run for his money around here.

DirkUSA
07-29-09, 08:24 AM
Congrats on "True Blood". Nice find, but I have to say that this is bullshit from HBO that these sets are already ending up in a store like Big Lots. It sure is a great find but I will make me think twice about getting an HBO show for $30 or $40 if they show up at Big Lots just 2 months later. That is like smacking the customer in the face. Sorry for the rant, but it just pisses me off. After a year or so fine, but not 2 months after it was released.

Dirk

Wolf359
07-29-09, 09:17 AM
Congrats on "True Blood". Nice find, but I have to say that this is bullshit from HBO that these sets are already ending up in a store like Big Lots. It sure is a great find but I will make me think twice about getting an HBO show for $30 or $40 if they show up at Big Lots just 2 months later. That is like smacking the customer in the face. Sorry for the rant, but it just pisses me off. After a year or so fine, but not 2 months after it was released.

Dirk

I don't understand how that could even be possible. Were the sales for that set truly that abysmal they would be clearanced out already?!

Like others were saying, if anyone in the DFW area would like to form some kind of team, I would be willing. I normally hit up these stores daily:

Centerville in Garland, Hwy 78 Garland, and the new Rowlett location on 66. Pm me what you are looking for and I'll get it if I see it.

DirkUSA
07-29-09, 09:34 AM
I don't understand how that could even be possible. Were the sales for that set truly that abysmal they would be clearanced out already?!

Like others were saying, if anyone in the DFW area would like to form some kind of team, I would be willing. I normally hit up these stores daily:

Centerville in Garland, Hwy 78 Garland, and the new Rowlett location on 66. Pm me what you are looking for and I'll get it if I see it.

I just feel that HBO is laughing at me for spending hard earned money on a show that they almost give away 2 months later. It's just frustrating.

Svatch
07-29-09, 09:46 AM
Sorry for the rant, but it just pisses me off. After a year or so fine, but not 2 months after it was released.

Dirk

I feel your pain.
3 months ago I bought the Superman Serial DVD at a convention for 20 bucks...The vendor had it @ 22. He did throw in Godzilla 2000 for free. Now I know why. I was just glad I finally got the title.

I did not see that DVD title @ BL until a few weeks ago.

Been using BL for some time for filling in the collection with re-current titles and with these sets @ 3-10 dollars makes adding to the libary easy on the wallet.

sg86
07-29-09, 09:53 AM
Personally, I think HBO is putting older sets at Big Lots and threw some True Blood's in as viral marketing for the show since these Big Lots sales have caught on like wildfire.

Phibes
07-29-09, 10:01 AM
I wondered, since the WB sets are Wal-mart returns (or have so been speculated), if that some HBO returns accidentally got mixed in with the WB stuff. I'd love to get Deadwood for $3 as I've heard much good things about the show but have balked at how much they cost. I did see a Six Feet Under S3 during my weekend BL quest, but passed on it.

Personally, I think HBO is putting older sets at Big Lots and threw some True Blood's in as viral marketing for the show since these Big Lots sales have caught on like wildfire.

Wolf359
07-29-09, 10:05 AM
The only HBO set I've seen is Six Feet Under S3 and many stores have 5+ copies. They must have WAAY overproduced that set.

DirkUSA
07-29-09, 10:07 AM
I wondered, since the WB sets are Wal-mart returns (or have so been speculated), if that some HBO returns accidentally got mixed in with the WB stuff. I'd love to get Deadwood for $3 as I've heard much good things about the show but have balked at how much they cost. I did see a Six Feet Under S3 during my weekend BL quest, but passed on it.

One of the Louis & Clark sets I bought had the Best Buy exclusive comic book inside. So some come from Best Buy.

Dirk

Keith123
07-29-09, 10:12 AM

I think the well is drying up....no new boxsets.....Will frequent this thread to see if action starts up again. But my obsession of driving to Big Lots has to stop, or my deals won't be deals with all the gas money I'm spending. :)Yah, I'm a bit burned out too on all the driving. I only went to one Big Lots yesterday- Huber Heights, OH and that was to return a couple DVD's! That was weird, returning instead of buying. Their $3.00 DVD sets were very much thinned down. I had been visiting that store a lot in the last week and a half trying to be there on the day the $3.00 sets hit. I was told by one employee on my last Thursday visit that they did not have any $3.00 sets ever delivered to the store. I missed going there last Saturday to check anyway and...of course, that is when all the $3.00 sets were put out! I still got some good stuff Sunday morning but I was told that one customer "had gotten a big cart full of stuff Saturday".

Still, scraps of good stuff can be found. My sister, at the Airway/Woodman st. store yesterday, found the Batman Animated Season 1(4 discs) and the Superman animated series One two-pack for $3.00 and she was able to get 2 qty's of that two-pack. When I was there Sunday on the day of the sale, it was a barren wasteland of $3.00 sets.

chris_sc77
07-29-09, 10:33 AM

Actually the sales for the set have apparently been amazingly high.
I really dont think that even if True Blood was found it wasnt on purpose. Maybe some kinda fluke.

dead000
07-29-09, 10:52 AM
There's no possible way True Blood has shown up at BL. It's one of HBO's highest selling T.V. box sets. Deadwood? Maybe. True Blood? NO WAY.

I want to see that receipt.

cracksky
07-29-09, 10:55 AM
There's no possible way True Blood has shown up at BL. It's one of HBO's highest selling T.V. box sets. Deadwood? Maybe. True Blood? NO WAY.

It probably won't matter. Most receipts don't show titles. I've only seen Flintstones show up.

DirkUSA
07-29-09, 11:05 AM

You can see the price sticker on the picture a few post above. That's the only proof so far.

dead000
07-29-09, 11:07 AM
It probably won't matter. Most receipts don't show titles. I've only seen Flintstones show up.

True. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I've hit four BLs in the past day or two and have come up empty handed. Although I've seen the Nick DVDs, but who in the hell wants those when True Blood can be had.

zombeaner
07-29-09, 11:08 AM

Those are the stores I check normally, as well as Gus Tomasson in Mesquite, Skillman&Abrams in Dallas, Independence in Plano and sometimes Valley View in Farmer's Branch and Forest & Marsh in Dallas.

longshanks
07-29-09, 11:09 AM
I think the receipt actually depends on the Big Lots. One store had everything show up: West Wing S2, Tracey Takes On S1, and Mission Hill. Every other store I bought just showed general DVD.

Correct me if I'm wrong.....

dead000
07-29-09, 11:09 AM
You can see the price sticker on the picture a few post above. That's the only proof so far.

If that's proof, I'll remove said stickers, slap them on my Coraline and Watchmen Blu-rays, snap a pic, and post it on here claiming I found those there as well.

U2Cowboy
07-29-09, 11:21 AM
Those are the stores I check normally, as well as Gus Tomasson in Mesquite, Skillman&Abrams in Dallas, Independence in Plano and sometimes Valley View in Farmer's Branch and Forest & Marsh in Dallas.

I sent a PM to Wolf359 about this, but I've got South Arlington (2) and Mansfield covered, as well as Redbird/67 and on occasion Lemon/Haskell near downtown.

Wolf359
07-29-09, 11:30 AM
Look what I found!
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j187/Wolf_359/2-1.jpg

Yeah, i think maaaabye a practical joke about the True Blood.

jgorow
07-29-09, 11:30 AM
If that's proof, I'll remove said stickers, slap them on my Coraline and Watchmen Blu-rays, snap a pic, and post it on here claiming I found those there as well.

reminds me of last year when some guy on here claimed to have picked up a "heroes" box set at big lots for $3. pointless, childish bs

Brent L
07-29-09, 11:34 AM
Wasn't it xage that found Heroes (and Firefly I believe) at BL?

EDIT:

Yep, right here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/480051-big-lots-update-36.html#post8486049

To be quite honest, I don't even totally doubt these crazy finds now. I never would have believed that those Looney Tunes sets, or most of the recent sets even, would be at BL either had a bunch of us not found everything we've found lately.

docdoowop
07-29-09, 11:48 AM

On the other hand, the Looney Tunes box, America's Game, Roots and Kubrick boxes were real deals. I'm sure many had doubts about those sets when first posted.

DirkUSA
07-29-09, 11:53 AM

Please read my post again. I said that is the only proof we have. Calm down. If you don't believe the person who said he bought the set fine, but you don't have to go after me. If you find Smallville Blu-rays there why not other stuff? Smallville came out last year in September and shouldn't be found at Big Lots either in my opinion.

broyfan
07-29-09, 12:01 PM
Have been visiting my local biglots in portland, or a couple times a week now in search of blu rays and yesterday I showed up at 9am when they opened and they had 5 copies of smallville s7 on blu ray! Other good finds i picked up was the Wonder Woman Collection seasons 123 for $6. I found that odd because they had a wonder woman season 3 sitting there by itself for $6. Also found Justice League Collection. They also had several copies of smallville season 4 dvd, roots, life goes on, west wing, jamie foxx show and joey. So all who are after blu rays don't lose hope because they are still showing up in stores!

dullboy
07-29-09, 12:01 PM
Xage wasn't the first one to post about seeing True Blood for $3.

Jedi Master 33
07-29-09, 12:10 PM
Look what I found!
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j187/Wolf_359/2-1.jpg

Yeah, i think maaaabye a practical joke about the True Blood.
I would go crazy if someone actually found this.

slowdive21
07-29-09, 12:10 PM

I have gotten items with best buy and wal-mart tags on them. Just for information sake if there is a master list somewhere.

mythmaker18
07-29-09, 12:35 PM
I wondered, since the WB sets are Wal-mart returns (or have so been speculated), if that some HBO returns accidentally got mixed in with the WB stuff.

Isn't HBO Video stuff distributed by WB? That could explain the HBO stuff ending up at Big Lots along with the regular WB stuff.

It was reported here by someone else that a Jon Pertwee Doctor Who title was spotted for $3.00. That's a BBC Video title, but again, the BBC stuff is distributed by Warner, so that could explain why that was at Big Lots.

basaro
07-29-09, 12:48 PM
For those here that are looking for:

Tex Avery's Complete Droopy Theatrical Shorts
Hong Kong Phooey Complete
George of the Jungle Complete (1967)
Godzilla titles from Classic Media (I've seen 3 of the 7 from the box)

These are all found at a store called Five Below if you live on the East Coast:

http://www.fivebelow.com/storelocator

All discs are $5. each.

Thanks, got Droopy today in Nashua, but no HKPhooey's to be found.

bmello
07-29-09, 12:52 PM
I would go crazy if someone actually found this.

Yeah, you could drive all over a 200 mile radius for 2 straight weeks looking for one like the Looney Tunes set.....

Maxflier
07-29-09, 12:55 PM
Is there any demand for the Woody Allen box sets? I remember seeing one (don't know which one) at one of the stores around here and am thinking about picking it up if it holds any value as trade bait.

And LMAO at the Stargate pic rotfl

ProfessorEcho
07-29-09, 01:02 PM
I have "joined forces" with a handful of folks so far. If any of you want to work with me to help one another make sure we get certain things, let me know. I picked up around 5 items for a fellow member earlier today to help them out.

I love this idea and I think it makes the whole adventure that much more enjoyable and fun, sharing the hobby instead of always turning it into a silly, selfish competition. As the lucky recipient mentioned above, I can certainly vouch for Brent's Big Lots hunting skills and for being one of the best DVDTalkers out there.

Josh-da-man
07-29-09, 01:08 PM
I can't imagine that HBO would remaindering out "True Blood" sets at this point in time.

Number one, the DVD just came out a few months ago.

Number two, the series is still running. This isn't something like Lucky Louie or SFU, where the DVDs have been out a long time and the series were ended/cancelled.

Deadwood seasons doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility, especially with that new complete series DVD set they released.

If True Blood sets are showing up at Big Lots, then it's probably some kind of mistake, where a few TB sets got mixed in with some other titles.

NCC1701E
07-29-09, 01:23 PM
It's LOIS. Not Louis.

:D

n.phelge
07-29-09, 01:25 PM
I sent a PM to Wolf359 about this, but I've got South Arlington (2) and Mansfield covered, as well as Redbird/67 and on occasion Lemon/Haskell near downtown.

I usually hit Lewisville and Carrollton twice a week - no $10 or HBO sets that I've seen at either so far, but I may have just had bad timing.

DirkUSA
07-29-09, 01:27 PM
It's LOIS. Not Louis.

:D

I know a guy named Louis, you might want to talk to him about that............................:)

sabata
07-29-09, 01:40 PM
Posted in Big Lots part 5 by BMVTOYS

"all this stuff came from a massive liquidation on part of WB. Its all store return items. Alot of it is walmart returns and Transworld stuff. Most of the "good" stuff came thru but the people whom gave it up still sat on the Hitchcock boxes and Superman LTD tin sets and such. There are other sets too like droopy and such, but time will tell if they will actually hit the big lots or not."

So that seems to indicate that some of the returns could show up in very limited quantity. Could explain a few copies of True Blood popping up.

Nivlac
07-29-09, 01:47 PM
The Heath, Ohio BL had some Mill Creek re-stocks today. More John Wayne and Shirley Temple PD titles and WWII docus.
One new item is "Classic Game Shows & More", a 4-disc set chock full of '50s
and '60s game show episodes.
Included are THE PRICE IS RIGHT w/Bill Cullen, BEAT THE CLOCK, PLAY YOUR HUNCH w/Merv Griffin, QUEEN FOR A DAY, TREASURE HUNT w/Jan Murray and lots more.
Discs #3 and #4 also have some kids shows as well, like Pinky Lee, Paul Winchell and Jerry Mahoney and Rootie Kazootie. (I'm old and can't wait to check some of this out).

4 discs for $6.00

GenPion
07-29-09, 01:49 PM

Dirk

I understand. I purchased the Powerpuff Girls Complete Series set for $50 and it's showing up for $3... and it just came out THIS YEAR. Absolutely ridiculous. I did feel, initially, VERY UPSET and insulted that WB would even consider doing such a thing. But then I calmed down because I realized the $3 price tag might generate new fans, or make old ones who had forgotten the show remember how great it is, and perhaps spark a form of viral marketing interest in others to purchase the set outside of Big Lots. Will that work? Who knows. But I'm happy knowing people found it that are fans of the series as it is a definite classic for animation fans. And for $3, it should make those people VERY, VERY happy customers.

And True Blood doesn't bother me at all, actually, because I own it on Blu-ray. If the Blu-ray set starts appearing for $6 though, we might have something to discuss. :)

That Smallville Blu-ray is another thing... as is the Tales from the Crypt sets which never go on sale anywhere and I'd purchased for around $15 each this year from third-party sellers before they showed up at Big Lots for the remarkable $3 price tag per season. I was able to help recoup some of my financial loss by trading/selling a few extra copies to forum members and that made me feel better - and, heck, The Flintstones showing up (I got all six seasons) made me become very forgiving and fast, but most of all I felt good that the Tales from the Crypt sets showed up near me in decent quantity so that my sister was able to get 2-6 for $3 each (she's also a huge fan of the show) - and I was able to trade an extra Flintstones S1 for her to get TFTC S1. So, in the end, I'm a happy shopper.

RustyOrgan
07-29-09, 01:53 PM
Nothing new in Sterling, VA but found a copy of the awesome doc 'Kurt Cobain - About a Son'...

WMAangel
07-29-09, 02:44 PM
All the major trade-in spots are wise to the goings on at Big Lots. The best you can do is trade-in one copy only of certain items to DVDPlanet for store credit, but at a fairly low profit margin for most titles.

Not that I am suggesting everyone should (or can) do this, but I do know that there is one MOVIE store that you can STOP into and still get crazy amounts of credit well above and beyond the $3 you paid out of pocket for some of these box sets....they obviously are not yet too "wise" to Big Lots, or else they would not be giving $15 in store credit for a used copy of Popeye V1....again, this store is not (yet) a nationwide chain, but they do have at least 40 locations...

DirkUSA
07-29-09, 02:55 PM
.................. I realized the $3 price tag might generate new fans, or make old ones who had forgotten the show remember how great it is, and perhaps spark a form of viral marketing interest in others to purchase the set outside of Big Lots. Will that work? Who knows. .......................................................................................

Possible scenario but it could also go the opposite way and people don't but the shows anymore when they come out because they are waiting for the bargain price at stores like Big Lots. We will see. I am happy for everybody who got a great deal and I got some too, but I don't think I would have bought Lois & Clark or Wonder Woman if not for the $3 or $6 price.

Maxflier
07-29-09, 03:13 PM
Nothing new in Sterling, VA but found a copy of the awesome doc 'Kurt Cobain - About a Son'...

Damn, something ELSE for me to look for now.

zombeaner
07-29-09, 03:23 PM
I'll be a part of Team DFW. We should probably start a separate thread for our own wants in this neck of the woods, since there seem to be enough of us that PMing back and forth would prove really tricky.

Drake
07-29-09, 03:24 PM
Just got back from BL ,nothing new and all the WB restock from Saturday is gone and all the animation sets are long gone it was pretty picked over I am wondering if they got anything in the truck for tomorrow?

mythmaker18
07-29-09, 03:48 PM
Possible scenario but it could also go the opposite way and people don't but the shows anymore when they come out because they are waiting for the bargain price at stores like Big Lots. We will see. I am happy for everybody who got a great deal and I got some too, but I don't think I would have bought Lois & Clark or Wonder Woman if not for the $3 or $6 price.

I very rarely buy anything on (or near) release date anymore. Like most others, I have a backlog of unwatched stuff, so I'm quite content to wait on a sale or pricedrop for just about everything.

That said, many of the titles I picked up at Big Lots are shows that I like, but that I wouldn't probably have bought without the incentive of these fire-sale prices. I'd already bought Adventures of Superman: Season one years ago in a sale (want to say about $15), but only bought that one season, as it was my favourite one and the only one I really, really had to own, but for $3.00, I decided to get the other "less-good" ones, too. Heck, I even bought some Dukes sets. Never would've bought those without this price incentive, since I wasn't a fan of the show anyway. Fan of Catherine Bach, though...

In a way, though this kind of makes me wish I'd waited on the stuff I already had, like Dastardly/Muttley and Wacky Races, but then again, if I did that, I wouldn't have had them 2-3 years ago when they came in handy for babysitting my nephew, so, it's no biggie. Instead, I bought a Big Lots copy of each to stuff in his Christmas stocking this year, so it worked out alright anyway.

__

One has to wonder what effect this massive dumping of stock will have on new titles, though. Will the DVD companies be scaling back on new releases? Will some things that would've been okayed for release now be held back for fear of not selling well enough? Food for thought.

U2Cowboy
07-29-09, 03:59 PM
I'll be a part of Team DFW. We should probably start a separate thread for our own wants in this neck of the woods, since there seem to be enough of us that PMing back and forth would prove really tricky.

If someone starts a thread I'll participate for Arlington/Mansfield/S. Dallas area. Sorry, at work or I would start it.

b2net
07-29-09, 04:00 PM
I emailed Big Lots with "THE" sku and this is the response I received today-

Good afternoon,

Thank you for contacting Big Lots Customer Care Department. Unfortunately, we are not currently able to help with your inquiry as the MEMOREX 25 PACK CDR (sku# 550015483) you are looking for is not currently available in CA. The majority of our merchandise is closeout merchandise and is constantly changing. Due to the nature of our business - buyouts, closeouts and special one-time buys - we must limit our sale to stock on hand and cannot place orders for the merchandise once it is gone. We strive to always offer fresh merchandise in our stores and online in order to create an exciting, bargain-hunting atmosphere.
It is possible that this item or a similar item may be available again sometime in the future.

Thank you again and have a nice day.
Customer Care Department
Big Lots Stores, Inc

rotfl

GenPion
07-29-09, 04:05 PM

Oh, absolutely. Same here. Most of what I purchased I was unwilling to purchase because they were too expensive. At $3 to $6 each that sounds about right for most of it. For certain items, however, the pricing really is so awesome I'm surprised.

statcat
07-29-09, 04:21 PM
that really sucks getting burned so bad on the price. Its happened to everyone I figure, someone is bound to get something at a better price eventually unless it goes out of print or something. I'm just wondering how many out there paid full price for some of the dvds showing up at big lots now. I'm glad I waited on tales from the crypt for one, something I put off buying for a long time.

tasog37
07-29-09, 04:25 PM
If someone starts a thread I'll participate for Arlington/Mansfield/S. Dallas area. Sorry, at work or I would start it.

I'm game for this as well. I live in Coppell, but bounce between Denton and Dallas pretty regularly.

Phibes
07-29-09, 04:38 PM
The way I look at is that we NEVER know what's going to show up at BL. If we had our crystal ball several years ago we might not have bought series or movie X. One good thing about Tales from the Crypt and prolly Flintstones is that each episode is pretty much a stand alone one and I might not be so hot to get my missing season one (of both) or seven (of tales). Stuff like Lois and Clark might make me want them more, but in all truth those may stay shrinkwrapped as I don't know when I'll have time to actually sit down and watch them ;). It's been fun filling in some holes in the ole' collection though and you can't beat the price.

I'm more happy with the older WB stuff that was showing up in that first batch.

that really sucks getting burned so bad on the price. Its happened to everyone I figure, someone is bound to get something at a better price eventually unless it goes out of print or something. I'm just wondering how many out there paid full price for some of the dvds showing up at big lots now. I'm glad I waited on tales from the crypt for one, something I put off buying for a long time.

kbarkerok
07-29-09, 04:40 PM

i saw that in stores recently as well.
but even a fan of nirvana- i found the film to be unwatchable.

Corellian
07-29-09, 04:49 PM
Hi all...

There's an old hollywood saying... when the studios do something you don't understand, follow the money, and their survival instincts.

DVD sales are very down due to the economy and places like netflix and redbox. Someone is seriously worried about their job, and the overstock they have of boxed sets that aren't selling and could be wasted money if DVD crashes....

SOOOO..... to prove that they are still 'the best there is' in their job, they got rid of all of that 'offensive' stock by shipping it off to the discount stores... Yay, they are a momentary hero to the bottom line, and have pissed off the masses... but why do they care, they won't have their jobs for much longer anyway!

With all of that said... I had very little luck at my local Big Lots....

Does anyone have an extra Blu-Ray smallville season 7, True Blood, Any flintstones seasons over 4, Popeye Vol. 1, Tales from the crypt Season 3+, Superman Serials...

I think I really care the most for Smallville Blu-Ray Season 7, Superman Serials, and Popeye Vol. 1...

Thanks for thinking of me!

Corellian

WMAangel
07-29-09, 05:11 PM
I think we might now know why all these sets are so cheap:
They were supposed to be destroyed!
Read the whole article here from The Hollywood Reporter!:

http://www.thresq.com/2009/07/warner-bros-dvd-theft-lawsuit.html

Apparently a subcontracted company entrusted to dispose of excess inventory instead turned around and sold them "to a third party" (I'm guessing this possibly could be Big Lots or whoever supplies them), so now Warner is suing them!!

EDIT: Here is the full article for those too lazy to click:

"July 29, 2009
Warner Bros. lawsuit claims $10 million loss in brazen DVD theft

By Matthew Belloni

The home video arm of Warner Bros. has filed a $10 million lawsuit against a company the studio says agreed to destroy 2 million surplus DVDs but instead turned around and sold them on the cheap.

The complaint, filed Tuesday in Los Angeles Superior Court, alleges that Agoura Hills-based IWMB, Inc. and its president, Cal Jones, were subcontracted to dispose of the excess Warner Home Video DVDs and Blu-Rays but intead hawked them to a third party who put them on the market at discount prices that significantly undercut legit retailers. At least 750,000 of the stolen units were sold and 250,000 remain unaccounted for, according to the lawsuit.

Studios periodically destroy excess DVD product, which consists of unsold discs returned from vendors and defective goods. Here, WHV says it entrusted the product to Cinram Distribution, which has a deal with Warners to handle excess inventory (and which, surprisingly, is not a defendant). Cinram subcontracted with IWMB, which is alleged to have shown Warners a "fraudulent certificate of destruction" before going out and selling the DVDs and Blu-Rays on its own.

"The resale of the Warner Product at prices that undercut the prevailing wholesale and retail prices resulted in a substantial loss of revenue to WHV, believed to exceed $10 million," the complaint says. WHV alleges fraud, conversion and violation of California's business code. It seeks punitive damages as well as an injunction against further sale of the stolen product.

Neither IWMB nor Jones could be reached for comment.

Warners is repped in the case by White O'Connor partners Andrew White and David Fink and associate Hajir Ardebili."

Drake
07-29-09, 05:29 PM
Yea defective goods ,that is why all those Complete Roots had scratched discs they were probably meant to be destroyed.

ron lee green
07-29-09, 05:31 PM
I guess we better go back to Big Lots and scoop up those Joey sets before they're gone!

Does that include those Warner $3.00 movies? Those were at Big Lots over a year ago.

Sweet Baby James
07-29-09, 05:32 PM
^

So I'm going to be on the yard for possession of stolen goods. When the other cons ask what I'm in for, I'll be too embarrassed to tell them that it was for an illegal copy of Top Cat.

Drake
07-29-09, 05:34 PM
^

So I'm going to be on the yard for possession of stolen goods. When the other cons ask what I'm in for, I'll be too embarrassed to tell them that it was for an illegal copy of Top Cat.

Hehehehe Top Cat and Wacky Races....hehehehehe......."Sassafrassarassum

jgorow
07-29-09, 05:35 PM

Apparently a subcontracted company entrusted to dispose of excess inventory instead turned around and sold them "to a third party" (I'm guessing this possibly could be Big Lots or whoever supplies them), so now Warner is suing them!! seems "the party is over" especially for the "resellers"

"July 29, 2009

By Matthew Belloni

The home video arm of Warner Bros. has filed a $10 million lawsuit against a company the studio says agreed to destroy 2 million surplus DVDs but instead turned around and sold them on the cheap.

The complaint, filed Tuesday in Los Angeles Superior Court, alleges that Agoura Hills-based IWMB, Inc. and its president, Cal Jones, were subcontracted to dispose of the excess Warner Home Video DVDs and Blu-Rays but intead hawked them to a third party who put them on the market at discount prices that significantly undercut legit retailers. At least 750,000 of the stolen units were sold and 250,000 remain unaccounted for, according to the lawsuit.

Studios periodically destroy excess DVD product, which consists of unsold discs returned from vendors and defective goods. Here, WHV says it entrusted the product to Cinram Distribution, which has a deal with Warners to handle excess inventory (and which, surprisingly, is not a defendant). Cinram subcontracted with IWMB, which is alleged to have shown Warners a "fraudulent certificate of destruction" before going out and selling the DVDs and Blu-Rays on its own.

"The resale of the Warner Product at prices that undercut the prevailing wholesale and retail prices resulted in a substantial loss of revenue to WHV, believed to exceed $10 million," the complaint says. WHV alleges fraud, conversion and violation of California's business code. It seeks punitive damages as well as an injunction against further sale of the stolen product.

Warners is repped in the case by White O'Connor partners Andrew White and David Fink and associate Hajir Ardebili."

If this is true, then, this was a 1-shot deal. it actually makes sense that the movie indistry would rather destroy over stocked unsold product than to dump it so cheap that it de-values the market. and it does make sence because all of these big lots dvds are warner product. seems "the party is over" especially for "the resellers"

melih69
07-29-09, 05:49 PM
"The home video arm of Warner Bros. has filed a $10 million lawsuit against a company the studio says agreed to destroy 2 million surplus DVDs but instead turned around and sold them on the cheap."

destroy 2 million surplus DVDs ? destroy 2 frakking million DVDs ?!?!?!!? WTF ?

Just thinking of all those DVDs and Sets are being destroyed makes me dizzy.
God Almighty will strike you for that.

FlamedLiquid
07-29-09, 05:50 PM
wow....well I guess I'm happy with what I got out of this.

:)

DeepSleep
07-29-09, 05:51 PM
If this is true, then, this was a 1-shot deal. it actually makes sense that the movie indistry would rather destroy over stocked unsold product than to dump it so cheap that it de-values the market. and it does make sense because all of these big lots dvds are warner product. seems "the party is over" especially for "the resellers"

This definately makes sense. Past Warner Bros dvd batches had the UPC slashed. This time the UPC codes were not slashed because Warner planned to have the this batch destroyed...

I feel I have done my duty to "save" these dvds from the shredder!! :)

bmvtoys
07-29-09, 06:18 PM
I know some of the people whom bought the initial dump, i wonder if they will be called out in court. Yep was 2 million or so Sets, Singles and Various Returns (i think i stated that about back in thread 5).

Shame, we still didnt see droopy and some of the other stuff that was being held back--

b

Drake
07-29-09, 06:19 PM
Are they talking about all these box sets we have seen?
Newbury Comics got a lot of these in about a month before Big Lots , today I went to Newbury and I noticed that Flintstones season 1 were not in their original sealed state. they also have been selling the complete Roots for $19.99
I wonder if they have had returns because of bad discs?

My Other Self
07-29-09, 06:21 PM
Well well well! This is starting to get interesting, then. No wonder finding these titles are so scattershot... man I wonder if Big Lots will be returning all the remaining sets? Or what will happen.

destroy 2 million surplus DVDs ? destroy 2 frakking million DVDs ?!?!?!!? WTF ?
I'm sure there's some legality where they would be able to write it off or something.

Gizmo
07-29-09, 06:22 PM
Seems odd as all but a handful of the BL sets are ones that numerous other stores have had available for low prices.

The Smallville and Nip/Tuck BD's have been cheap for months from various sources. WB and Sony have made other TV seasons available to BL, and others, for $3 previously with some of the lesser known HBO series, Who's the Boss, etc. A lot of the movies technically "significantly undercut" the mass retailers like Best Buy.

They (and others) have been available to wholesalers at a very low cost for some time now. Typically people go in and 'bid' on unmarked boxes of DVDs (and BDs and HD DVDs). Eventually, no one wants the same ol' crap so they get sent to be destroyed. Apparently someone didn't do that...

Blockbuster did this all the time. Every 2 weeks I would go in the back room with a hammer and nail and punch holes through DVDs to be thrown away. Studios didn't want cheap copies of x movie when they were still trying to sell new ones.

Drake
07-29-09, 06:23 PM
Today at Newbury Comics I was telling the clerks about Big Lots and the prices and they were totally unaware of it , they were shaking their heads in disbelief at the $3 prices.
Little do they know they bought the same stuff probably from the same distributor.

DVDmadman9
07-29-09, 06:28 PM
That's great. Now I feel nervous about looking for these. Don't wanna get arrested for buying stolen stuff.

Drake
07-29-09, 06:28 PM
I'm sure there's some legality where they would be able to write it off or something.

Kramer: It's a write off for them.
Jerry: How is it a write off?
Kramer: They just write it off.
Jerry: Write it off what?
Kramer: Jerry, all these big companies, they write off everything.
Jerry: You don't even know what a write off is.
Kramer: Do you?
Jerry: No. I Don't.
Kramer: But they do. And they're the ones writing it off.

cheapdvdho
07-29-09, 06:35 PM

Apparently a subcontracted company entrusted to dispose of excess inventory instead turned around and sold them "to a third party" (I'm guessing this possibly could be Big Lots or whoever supplies them), so now Warner is suing them!!

<etc, etc>

Ah Hah!!!! I was wondering why Big Lots was selling a product that was selling out at $6 bucks and dropping it to $3.....they wanted to dump the merchandise before they had to pull it! Darn it....there was still a bunch of sets I would have liked to get....knew it was too good to be true. Congrats to those who made out!

jones
07-29-09, 06:36 PM
I guess some of the unsealed sets like the Flintstones saesons never even made it to the shrinkwrapping stage. They along with others were probably sitting in warehouses because they made to many of them.
I wonder if they were manufactured as special sales promotion for a retailer that backed out or forefited on a contract. Like maybe...
Circuit City???

bmvtoys
07-29-09, 06:40 PM
unshrinkwrapped stuff was just store returns. When i store returns dvd's that a person brings back, they take the shrink off.

b

Cubicle Morlock
07-29-09, 06:51 PM
At least 750,000 of the stolen units were sold and 250,000 remain unaccounted for, according to the lawsuit.

Here's to hoping those 250k units get put out on Big Lots shelves before anyone is the wiser.

Studios periodically destroy excess DVD product

Excess. Yeah, like some of those *OOP* disks people were finding. I can understand (but not agree with) destroying tens of thousands of copies to "preserve" the wholesale price of DVDs still available. I have absolutely no sympathy or tolerance for destroying DVDs people are trying to find on the secondary market because the manufacturer no longer supplies it for retail.

RKillgore
07-29-09, 06:56 PM
"July 29, 2009

By Matthew Belloni

http://home.comcast.net/~ron.killgore/images/seinfeld.jpg

The suspects in question?

I wonder how much this deal increased business to other retailers as those who got a deal go to fill out their collection. Buying Animaniacs or P&tB Vol 3, etc.

Drake
07-29-09, 06:59 PM
I would have to believe that whatever stock that Big Lots has left will be put on the floor and sold. The lawsuit is against the company that didn't destroy the merchandise and the fact that these are being sold at Big Lots and Newbury Comics is the evidence.
So WB doesn't care about BL they want to try and win against the IWMB Co.

My Other Self
07-29-09, 07:10 PM
Well, this certainly explains the Joey mystery then.

doctaheath78
07-29-09, 07:18 PM
In South Florida today I found Pinky and the Brain V2 for $3. I also picked up the last Veronica Mars and Mision Hill. Not to bad of a day. :)

Gizmo
07-29-09, 07:23 PM
Wait, did all the $6 boxsets drop to $3?

WMAangel
07-29-09, 07:25 PM
Shame, we still didnt see droopy and some of the other stuff that was being held back--

If you're talking about the Droopy: Complete Theatrical Collection, that has been seen at the store Five Below for $5, so some of them obviously were scooped up and are out there on the cheap....

My Other Self
07-29-09, 07:28 PM
Wait, did all the $6 boxsets drop to $3?I don't know if it's nationwide, but they did here.

Gizmo
07-29-09, 07:35 PM
I don't know if it's nationwide, but they did here.

Oh damn. May have to stop by tonight.

jgorow
07-29-09, 07:35 PM
The Party Is Over!!!!!!

Ralph_Furley
07-29-09, 07:37 PM
I don't know if it's nationwide, but they did here.

At my local ones, the $6 sets sold out first (per BL employee). They had more $3 ones left. But I still saw a bunch of $6 ones at one of the BLs I visited.

As for the lawsuit and it being the reason these sets are out there, I think that's a crock. Just like True Blood and Deadwood being out there for $3 is BS.

Of course, I'd love to be proved wrong.

doctaheath78
07-29-09, 07:46 PM
Well actually it was marked $6 and the cashier told me all the sets were $3.......It scanned $6 and she price over rode it. :)

GenPion
07-29-09, 07:50 PM
This is absolutely crazy if this turns out to be true. Man, I never imagined in a million years that this could be why cheap $6 and $3 sets were showing up at Big Lots. Unbelievable. I guess we'll wait and see what happens.

I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping this isn't true and that all our Big Lots continue to gets new waves of DVD's. Of course, everything sounds (to me) like the lawsuit corresponds to our Big Lots blowouts so I really don't know what to think right now. I never imagined myself unknowingly buying stolen goods. Jeez. Of course, It's not our fault -- we are consumers, purchasing a product, and the blame goes on the people who had poor mismanagement for something like this to have occurred in the first place.

My Other Self
07-29-09, 07:51 PM
I was in BL today and for example the SuperFriends sets, New Scooby-Doo Movies, and Anaimaniacs 2/Pinky and the Brain 2 had new $3 stickers. It looks like this is the last of the haul.

ADP
07-29-09, 07:59 PM
ah heck, no more box sets or WB classics?

Thankfully I've made a decent haul thus far

Will be back out tomorrow on the lookout. Honestly I like the old WB classics more than the sets thus far. Can't beat G-Men, Each Dawn I Die, The Roaring Twenties, and a few others for $3 when Amazon has them priced at $17.99 + shipping

msdontplay01
07-29-09, 08:10 PM
This is absolutely crazy if this turns out to be true. Man, I never imagined in a million years that this could be why cheap $6 and $3 sets were showing up at Big Lots. Unbelievable. I guess we'll wait and see what happens.

I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping this isn't true and that all our Big Lots continue to gets new waves of DVD's. Of course, everything sounds (to me) like the lawsuit corresponds to our Big Lots blowouts so I really don't know what to think right now. I never imagined myself unknowingly buying stolen goods. Jeez. Of course, It's not our fault -- we are consumers, purchasing a product, and the blame goes on the people who had poor mismanagement for something like this to have occurred in the first place.

I feel the same way. I hope Big Lots continues to stock the dvds but if they don't, oh well, I guess the ride is over. I'm happy with the load of dvd sets I got a chance to purchase. I have a nice little collection now thanks to this. I should have something in my backlog to open and watch for some time now -smile-

dx23
07-29-09, 08:11 PM
If the story turns out to be legit, then it explains the appeareance of the Best Buy exclusive of Appleseed steelbook at Big Lots. Still, I don't agree with what Warner did with this overstock, which is probably similar to what all the studios did with the HD-DVDs. It's sad and stupid that studios prefer to loss money by paying companies to destroy their unsold stock than to sell those to the masses at a minimal profit. Believe it or not, those DVDs bought at Big Lots at those cheap prices have cause great joy to a lot of people right now around the country. Those seasons sets, cartoons and films are a great distraction to many of the economic issues that are going on.

Alan Smithee
07-29-09, 08:14 PM
Just plain stupid that more could be gained overall by destroying these than selling them. At the very least why not keep them in the warehouses for 20 years until someone does buy them at the price they want to sell them at? What if this stuff goes out of print later?

It was speculated the same thing was going to happen to the unsold HD-DVD stock after the format died, since more money could be made writing it off than selling it- thankfully at least a good amount of cheap stock still got out, allowing me to build a good collection.

AaronSch
07-29-09, 08:17 PM

July 29, 2009

By Matthew Belloni

That just cracks me up... It didn't make sense to me even at $6 a pop. But when they hit $3, I was left scratching my head as I filled the shopping cart. This is not a good thing for Warner Bros. I am saddened that the treasure hunt is over but relieved that I won't be visiting any Big Lots locations until something else worthwhile lures me back.

Geesh, I hope that company isn't contracted to destroy confiscated drugs as well... one can only wonder.

advdfreak
07-29-09, 08:17 PM
I went back to mine today and they had nothing new. I just went ahead and ordered Tales From The Crypt Seasons 4-6 from Amazon Marketplace. I ended up paying about $7 + shipping per set but it was worth it just to end the madness of looking for them! :hairpull: I'm sure that I will still go back, just not as often!

PopcornBandit
07-29-09, 08:24 PM
Damn, I'm going to hit a couple of Big Lots tomorrow after work in hopes that I can find the remainder of my wishlist before everything is pulled (IF it gets pulled)!

xage
07-29-09, 08:26 PM
If the story turns out to be legit, then it explains the appeareance of the Best Buy exclusive of Appleseed steelbook at Big Lots. Still, I don't agree with what Warner did with this overstock, which is probably similar to what all the studios did with the HD-DVDs. It's sad and stupid that studios prefer to loss money by paying companies to destroy their unsold stock than to sell those to the masses at a minimal profit. Believe it or not, those DVDs bought at Big Lots at those cheap prices have cause great joy to a lot of people right now around the country. Those seasons sets, cartoons and films are a great distraction to many of the economic issues that are going on.

The Bestbuy exclusive comes with an exclusive ID book the one from Big Lots is the coomon steelbook release.

Gizmo
07-29-09, 08:27 PM
Just plain stupid that more could be gained overall by destroying these than selling them. At the very least why not keep them in the warehouses for 20 years until someone does buy them at the price they want to sell them at? What if this stuff goes out of print later?

It was speculated the same thing was going to happen to the unsold HD-DVD stock after the format died, since more money could be made writing it off than selling it- thankfully at least a good amount of cheap stock still got out, allowing me to build a good collection.

Storage costs money. Why invest money in storing something that won't go up in value? That would be like hiding away UMDs and VHS tapes - they are worth less and less as the years go on.

jones
07-29-09, 08:27 PM
It baffles me that a company would pay another company to destroy something.

Hey, we already lost a bunch of money making too many DVD's. Why don't we loose a bunch more money paying to ship truckloads of DVD's and loose a bunch more paying someone to destroy them.

I must be in the wrong line of work.

I feel like the biggest trash digger right now...

Gizmo
07-29-09, 08:29 PM

Cheap HD DVDs hurt Blu-ray. Why pay $20 for The Shining on Blu-ray when the HD DVD is $5? At this point, most HD DVDs are long gone. Only some boxes remain and those will be liquidated off eventually.

spoon81
07-29-09, 08:35 PM
St. Pete, Florida, hit 2 BLs. One had nothing, but I like what I got for $3 at the other:

Tracey Takes On Season One
Murphy Brown First Season
Perils of Penelope Pitstop Complete Series
Mission Hills Complete Series
War at Home First Season

Keith123
07-29-09, 08:41 PM
... Honestly I like the old WB classics more than the sets thus far. Can't beat G-Men, Each Dawn I Die, The Roaring Twenties, and a few others for $3 when Amazon has them priced at $17.99 + shippingI love(loved?) the $3.00 sets more, but I did pick up Caged! last Sunday for $3.00 ...Blurbs from the back of the dvd- "The best Woman's prison film ever made". "Will she come out woman or wildcat?"

http://www.amazon.com/Caged-Eleanor-Parker/dp/B000OHZJG4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1248917865&sr=1-1

troubleman
07-29-09, 08:45 PM
Welcome to the madness!

Which stores did you hit in Richmond, VA? I mapped out a plan to hit the 6 main stores in the area soon (from D.C.) but if they don't have much I may scrap it for now.

There have been sporadic $3 boxes found at Woodbridge and Sterling and some more at District Heights, MD. No $10 sets in the area that I've come across.
Hi, everyone! I'm a newbie who loves this site!

What DVD box sets that are $3 and $10 have those of you in Virginia found in Big Lots, and in what location? I haven't seen any of them in Richmond.

:lol: Thank you for the welcome! :wave: Sorry for the late reply. I've been very busy.

I've gone to all of the Richmond locations, but they didn't have much. They had a few of the $3 sets. I hope that you find more than I did. :thumbsup:

Kory
07-29-09, 08:46 PM
Still very bummed that I never found a copy of the Looney Tunes 1-5 set. I'm pretty sure I missed out on getting one by a couple of hours, too. :(

Crazy that all this surplus stock was just going to be destroyed though.

postalpez
07-29-09, 08:54 PM
The Bestbuy exclusive comes with an exclusive ID book the one from Big Lots is the coomon steelbook release.

my appleseed had a bestbuy sticker on it and came with a comic.
We also got some movies 2 packs with walmart and sams club stickers

DeepSleep
07-29-09, 08:58 PM

Would this injunction be only against IWMB, Inc or would Warner Bros try to include Biglots, Rite-Aid, Kroger, Newbury Comics, etc?

By now these retailers must know they are selling stolen merchandise.

Hopefully these retailers should mark down these dvds and try to sell them as fast as they can before they are served with an injunction, if Warner plans on serving them.

AaronSch
07-29-09, 09:05 PM
It baffles me that a company would pay another company to destroy something.

Hey, we already lost a bunch of money making too many DVD's. Why don't we loose a bunch more money paying to ship truckloads of DVD's and loose a bunch more paying someone to destroy them.

I must be in the wrong line of work.

I feel like the biggest trash digger right now...

The value to a studio is not the media used to record upon but the intellectual property that is recorded. Its no different than farmers dumping milk or burning produce rather than sending them to market and driving prices down.

Johnny Zhivago
07-29-09, 09:07 PM
Wowsers... Well, that explains that. Might also explain why the latest batch never reached the floor here when we were one of the first (reported) to have a lot of them. Not sure if anyone had posted about the $10 sets before I did. Oh well, 3 squares and plenty of thinking time... ;)

Bummer though.

Also... <i>Destroy</i> Kubrick? Blasphemy. Shame on you WB.

All of the Appleseeds that I have seen, and there were many, were indeed the Best Buy exclusives.

MooMooMooMoo
07-29-09, 09:08 PM

"July 29, 2009

By Matthew Belloni

What's really weird about this is that traditionally overstock/returns, etc are sold by the labels to cutout wholesalers who then sell them to retailers at a substantial discount from regular wholesale.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Ishouldknowbetter
07-29-09, 09:11 PM
danvers, ma. After Rexxriot's post, I went back to look for the WB academy award winners, did not find it. picked up a smallville blu-ray s7, there was one more left. The Wonder Woman seasons 2,3 were still there and there were some roots 30th anniversary editions. The cashier told me someone came in yesterday morning and bought a cart full of stuff, multiples of the same titles, and had the big wonder woman set (complete??).

Methuen, MA, *edit -- whoops, that was Lynn, MA -- has a couple of blu ray nip tuck s4's. One of the workers offered to chack out back and came back with two boxes, but they were filled with some kind of trolls dvd with a toy.

MooMooMooMoo
07-29-09, 09:14 PM
I really don't expect BL to pull anything, & in fact I'll be surprised if we don't see more from this batch.

DeepSleep
07-29-09, 09:15 PM
What's really weird about this is that traditionally overstock/returns, etc are sold by the labels to cutout wholesalers who then sell them to retailers at a substantial discount from regular wholesale.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I was wondering about that too. Could it be that large traditional dvd sellers such as Bestbuy and Walmart have made their opinions known to Warner Bros? It definately disrupts the retail customer price points.

With Biglots selling season sets for $3, it really puts the Walmart $5 dump bin to shame....

bwsmom
07-29-09, 09:36 PM
Have been visiting my local biglots in portland, or a couple times a week now in search of blu rays and yesterday I showed up at 9am when they opened and they had 5 copies of smallville s7 on blu ray! Other good finds i picked up was the Wonder Woman Collection seasons 123 for $6. I found that odd because they had a wonder woman season 3 sitting there by itself for $6. Also found Justice League Collection. They also had several copies of smallville season 4 dvd, roots, life goes on, west wing, jamie foxx show and joey. So all who are after blu rays don't lose hope because they are still showing up in stores!

broyfan - are you hitting the Janzen Beach location? I hear that is the best one for dvds. I'm relegated to Mall 205 (usually abysmal selection, but better as of late) and Gresham (better than Mall 205, but a hot spot for hoarders, too).

Brian T
As the sole Canadian to allegedly take part in this filthy exercise, I have diplomatic immunity. If any such ill-gotten lucre did come back here with me--and I'm not saying it did, because I cannot recall the details at this time--they would be considered the sovereign property of Her Majesty The Queen. Cheerio and all that!

Phibes? Phibes who? Wait, what's he doing with that gun?!?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SiXNUaSjXRY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SiXNUaSjXRY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

dx23
I really don't expect BL to pull anything, & in fact I'll be surprised if we don't see more from this batch.

Big Lots doesn't have to pull anything since they are not involved in the lawsuit at all.

grune
07-29-09, 09:54 PM
I checked the Cambridge, OH store this morning. Saturday I had talked to the manager and he said they still had a box they'd put out for the start of the sale today. This morning there were several other people waiting for them to open also wanting the DVDs. They didn't have any new stock and the clerks claimed everything was already out. With this latest news it looks like the chances of finding much else are slim. I've posted my wants and extras over in the exchange thread. What I can't get through there I'll have to keep an eye out for at the flea markets. I know a couple dealers I'm sure have really stocked up on this stuff.

jgorow
07-29-09, 10:17 PM

its called price fixing and companies have done it for years. companies find it more financially viable to destroy product rather than dump it at an insanely low price and de-value the market. they want to keep the "perceived value" to the consumer high so that they will continue to buy at a high price. look what this big lots thing did to the price of box sets on ebay and amazon marketplace.

zombeaner
07-29-09, 10:23 PM
Big Lots doesn't have to pull anything since they are not involved in the lawsuit at all.

I would imagine that they already have whatever they have in their warehouse and will continue to distribute it. It is the place that was supposed to destroy them and the place they sold the stuff to who are in trouble. Big Lots will keep on going.

Surfinhank
07-29-09, 10:33 PM
The NoHo store (Vineland Av) got a shipment of the new $3 New Line movies people have been seeing. Some of the titles:
Shine, Austin Powers Goldmember, Surviving the Game, Sugar & Spice, Secondhand Lions, The Corrupter, The Hidden, State & Main, Heaven's Prisoners, Mother Night, Simpatico.

twa2
07-29-09, 10:40 PM
Found nothing in the Pensacola/Milton stores today that interested me. I'm not sure if anything new was out, although I did see a lot of Superbowl sets that I'd never really noticed. I couldn't care less about football, so it's possible they were there the whole time and I just paid no attention. I also saw a $10 set for the first time. I don't know if it was one of THE $10 sets, but it was $10. It was some sort of anime, Angels something or something Angels. Everything else was the same old thing, plenty of West Wing, Joey, Knots Landing, Tracey Takes On, and Life Goes On.

I had some extra time, so I decided to take the half-hour drive to Crestview and check out the store there. I was looking over the last rack and said, "Come on, give me SOMETHING to make this trip worthwhile." And then right as I finished the sentence, I came across Superfriends: The Legendary Super Powers Show for $6. It wasn't one of my most wanted, but it was definitely on my want list. Everything else there was the same, except for a couple of Flintstones season 3, which have disappeared everywhere else.

I'm probably done for the week, although I am going to a few stores Friday with Big Lots (Big Lotses?) next door, so I might go in those while I'm there.

bears9
07-29-09, 10:43 PM
Well the only problem with this is that alot of the sets I bought had a new upc code sticker over the orginal one, So if they were suppose to be destroyed why would they do this?

JohnIan
07-29-09, 10:47 PM
One of the Louis & Clark sets I bought had the Best Buy exclusive comic book inside. So some come from Best Buy.

Which season would this be?

Maxflier
07-29-09, 10:51 PM
One of the stores here finally put out some more product. Was finally able to score a Thundercats S2V2 box set as well as some other stuff for trade bait.

Maxflier
07-29-09, 11:16 PM

If it's anything like the receipts i've been getting then there's no way to tell which DVD's they are. And i'm with you, I don't believe for a second that True Blood is at Big Lots, I call bullshit on that. And what gets me is someone would only buy 1 copy? Yeah right! If anyone really found True Blood sets at Big Lots they would buy multiple copies because you know you can turn a profit or use it to score some good trades with. I'm not so sure I even believe Deadwood, and yet someone happened to find BOTH of these at 1 store? Righhhhttt.... If it were me I would have snapped pics of them IN THE STORE for proof.

francois
07-29-09, 11:28 PM
From the Rochester, NY area stores

East Rochester and Henrietta stores had the usual Joeys, Dukes of Hazard and Tracey Takes On. The only interesting thing I found in Henrietta was the last copy of Wait Til your Father Gets Home.

The Greece store had about 10 Wacky Races, a couple of Flintstones Season 2 and about 4 Los Angeles Lakers Complete History.

The Irondequoit store didn't have much at the DVD displays. But when I was going out, I noticed on a shelf behind the glass cases near the exit there were some Flintstones (season 2 I think) and 3 sets of Popeye Vol 1, none which seemed to be sealed.

rmw650
07-29-09, 11:31 PM
Folks,

We bought all this stuff fair and square and if Warner Brothers, being the huge-ass studio they are, can't do their jobs properly and conduct a background check on the company they requisitioned to originally destroy the DVDs in the first place, then that's their loss and nobody should be held accountable for the goof-ups made at the WB.

They should have known better than to deal with a third party that probably had a shady past and reputation to begin with and they should have had alterante plans to "destroy" the DVDs if they were planning on doing so to begin with.

Besides, why in the hell would the WB want these DVD sets destroyed to begin with and cause a huge mess as a result, if stores such as Big Lots and other smaller discount chains can sell them at a fraction of the costs and make a lot of people happy, especially the kids with those HB sets and make a little profit off of them? It's called free enterprise.

I mean, for all that is good WB, put money to the side for the time being and think of the kids who are thrilled with having these cartoons on DVD and to all of us who busted our asses off driving and walking and spending countless number of hours and energy and effort to locate these things at a cost we ALL can afford, instead of the blown-up prices you see at Best Buy and other major retailers, especially with this crappy economy we're living in right now! The WB seriously needs to look at this in another way!

Shape up WB and learn to take responsibility for your own actions and go after the third party that did all this to your firm to start with and not go after the stores or anyone else that carried your products or the customers who legally bought these sets.

Hell, be grateful we're all taking it off your hands and getting a little enjoyment out of these products that would have cost us an arm and a leg to begin with, considering how everything else in the entertainment world has been going up lately. WB made a blunder!

Last I checked, we're allowed to buy products at stores that are offered on sale and by God, that's what we all did! I don't think that's a terrible crime and we paid hard-earned money for those products and it wasn't easy either to attain them! Trust us on that!

Suck it up, WB and go after those people (IWMB, Inc.) who caused all this to you but you folks at WB should have done your homework and research before ever entrusting them in the first place to do this favor for you! You screwed up bigtime! Deal with it!

Maxflier
07-29-09, 11:48 PM
Note to Warner Bros.: If you want something done right, do it yourself. Why in the hell would they pay someone to destroy their DVD's for them? Surely it can't be that hard a thing to do that they couldn't handle such a task themselves.

WMAangel
07-30-09, 12:10 AM
I've gone to all of the Richmond locations, but they didn't have much. They had a few of the $3 sets. I hope that you find more than I did. :thumbsup:

They HAVE had good stuff, but it has all been bought up now (I have been to all seven area BL stores multiple times in the past couple of weeks)....I managed to grab lots of sets before some of the stores got plundered (and I mean REALLY plundered).....here is an example:
Last Friday, I went to the store on Midlothian Turnpike at around 11:30 am, and they had a full supply of all kinds of the good $3 titles....multiple copies of seasons 1-5 of Flintstones, lots of other classic WB animated series, all four seasons of Lois and Clark, multiple Tales From The Crypt sets, Superman live action seasons, four or five copies of Thundercats S2 V2, etc....I go back there that evening around 6:30 or so, and it was pretty much all wiped out, except for some season 2 Flintstones sets that lacked shrinkwrap.....

My Other Self
07-30-09, 12:33 AM
Note to Warner Bros.: If you want something done right, do it yourself. Why in the hell would they pay someone to destroy their DVD's for them? Surely it can't be that hard a thing to do that they couldn't handle such a task themselves.I guess it's possible they don't have the facilities or resources to destroy that many DVDs (2 mill+).

bwsmom
07-30-09, 12:41 AM
I guess it's possible they don't have the facilities or resources to destroy that many DVDs (2 mill+).

50 chimps, each with their own shredder, could have it done in a day (and they work for CHEAP, too!) ;)

zekeburger1979
07-30-09, 01:04 AM
I bought the following today:

Flintstones Seasons 1, 2 and 3
Popeye Volume 1
Tracey takes on ... Season 1

Here's what my receipt listed:

Tracey Takes On S1
Popeye
Flintstones S3
Flintstones Season 2
Home Decor [Ace Ventura] All Righty Then![/Ace Ventura] :)

Seeing and buying these new sets has renewed my hope that I can find some of the $10 sets soon. All I want is the IMAX and America's Game sets. I already have the Kubrick box set and I would like to pick up a Looney Tunes set for a friend, but it's not necessary to.

dizzydean
07-30-09, 01:14 AM
We have several Big Lots in the San Antonio area. Went to one today and found nothing. The district manager was there so the employee asked me if I wanted to talk with him. I said yes, the proceeded to ask him if store policy could be changed to only sell one DVD per person. His reply was "hell no, I a customer wanted to buy an entire display of DVDs he would sell as many DVDs to them for however many they wanted to buy". So if a district manager said this, it doesn't look good for the rest of us against the Ebay hoarders.

MooMooMooMoo
07-30-09, 01:45 AM
Suck it up, WB and go after those people (IWMB, Inc.) who caused all this to you but you folks at WB should have done your homework and research before ever entrusting them in the first place to do this favor for you! You screwed up bigtime! Deal with it!

Many, Many MANY years ago i had a temp job for a temp company that was paid by a local hospital to shred some records. The company didn't shred them, they actually burned & buried them on a beach. The company also screwed me out of some overtime. Needless to say, I had a talk with the president of the hospital...................... I got my overtime & I suspect the company in question got a lawsuit. They definitely were terminated on the spot.

Josh-da-man
07-30-09, 03:06 AM
A day or two ago, I was going to make a crack about how they should bury all of those copies of Joey out in the desert next to all of those E.T. Atari cartridges.

Looks I wasn't too far off the mark!

msdontplay01
07-30-09, 03:36 AM
I went back to a local Big Lots today, it is one of 4 located within 30 miles of me here on the coast of South MS. I was happy to see they had a fresh supply of dvd sets since my trip last week. This time I picked up the following for $3 each:

Flintstones Season 4 (sealed)
Flintstones Season 5 (not sealed
Popeye Vol 1 (1933-1938)
Peebles and Bamm Bamm Complete Series
Top Cat Complete Series
Perils of Penelope Pitstop Complete Series
House Party 3
Lord of the Rings The Two Towers 2 Disc Collecter Edition (Walmart Exclusive Packaging)

The last time I was there I saw the WB Academy Award Animation Collection set but didn't pick it up since I hadn't seen it before and didn't know if it was good. Now I regret that I didn't get it when I had the chance and of course it was gone today when I went back. The cashier asked me if I liked the Flintstones b/c she was a fan as well. She told me that she had picked up a few seasons along with some of the other HB box sets. During the conversation, she let me know that they get a truck on Mondays so I told her I might have to check back once a week to see if they get anything new in.

I saw a couple sets I hadn't seen before such as some Angels set; it looked like it was a vol on a dvd and a plush toy inside the box. I saw one Jacques Cousteau Exploration set but passed as well. I kind of regret not getting the Tales from The Crypt sets when I saw them before b/c I just wasn't sure if I would be interested in that type of show but for the price, I wouldn't be out of too much if I didn't end up liking it. Of course, I haven't come across any $10 sets, hopefully one day.

The store closest to me, which is literally a mile from where I live, didn't get anything new dvd wise on the truck from Mon. I'm able to check this store almost daily since I can just stop by there before I go home after work. They had a good selection the first time I checked when I learned about this deal but every since that day, the selection has been pitiful to say the least with no restock.

jgorow
07-30-09, 04:20 AM
yeah, looks like things are starting to dry up already

Perkinsun Dzees
07-30-09, 05:06 AM
Note to Warner Bros.: If you want something done right, have Perkinsun Dzees do it. If you need to destroy any more DVDs just send them all to him and he will take care of it for free.

Fixed

JohnnieGrrrl
07-30-09, 07:39 AM
Hey All,

I found this news story about Warner Bros/IWMB, and I am not sure that the stuff showing up at Big Lots is part of it.

cidadeverde.com/entretenimento_txt.php?id=41924

I translated the site and it looks like it they are only suing them over copies of Dark Knight?!? But it also sites the Hollywood Reporter story that was posted here as a reference. I really hope the stuff keeps showing up at Big Lots ... It's been nice to get all the old cartoons for my daughter!

DirkUSA
07-30-09, 07:46 AM
Which season would this be?

I have to check at home. I am at work right now. Send me a pm so I don't forget.

Dirk

Drake
07-30-09, 08:21 AM
Note to Warner Bros.: If you want something done right, do it yourself. Why in the hell would they pay someone to destroy their DVD's for them? Surely it can't be that hard a thing to do that they couldn't handle such a task themselves.

I don't know if WB can do things right,selling DVD-Rs for $19.99 ????...they sound clueless.

Rexxriot
07-30-09, 09:09 AM
danvers, ma. After Rexxriot's post, I went back to look for the WB academy award winners, did not find it. picked up a smallville blu-ray s7, there was one more left. The Wonder Woman seasons 2,3 were still there and there were some roots 30th anniversary editions. The cashier told me someone came in yesterday morning and bought a cart full of stuff, multiples of the same titles, and had the big wonder woman set (complete??).

Yeah, figures I missed out on the Wonder Woman set. I knew I should have gone over when they opened on Tuesday, although I wasn't expecting them to put out as much as they did. I was there when they opened today thinking they might have restocked last night, but there was nothing new. Actually, it didn't look like much had sold since I was there on Tuesday. I'm still wondering what they might have in the back. It would be nice to pick up a few thing to complete my collection.

Drake
07-30-09, 09:11 AM
Hey All,

I found this news story about Warner Bros/IWMB, and I am not sure that the stuff showing up at Big Lots is part of it.

I translated the site and it looks like it they are only suing them over copies of Dark Knight?!? But it also sites the Hollywood Reporter story that was posted here as a reference. I really hope the stuff keeps showing up at Big Lots ... It's been nice to get all the old cartoons for my daughter!

If it was only concerning The Dark Knight who has been selling these?..I haven't seen them.

Bob_F1
07-30-09, 09:17 AM
They (and others) have been available to wholesalers at a very low cost for some time now. Typically people go in and 'bid' on unmarked boxes of DVDs (and BDs and HD DVDs). Eventually, no one wants the same ol' crap so they get sent to be destroyed. Apparently someone didn't do that...

Blockbuster did this all the time. Every 2 weeks I would go in the back room with a hammer and nail and punch holes through DVDs to be thrown away. Studios didn't want cheap copies of x movie when they were still trying to sell new ones.

Yes, I saw DVDs being destroyed at my local Blockbuster a few weeks ago. A Blockbuster employee had a huge stack of DVDs next to some sort of disc grinding machine and he was feeding them in one after another. The funny thing is that I initially thought it was a disc polishing machine.

jgorow
07-30-09, 09:27 AM
Yes, I saw DVDs being destroyed at my local Blockbuster a few weeks ago. A Blockbuster employee had a huge stack of DVDs next to some sort of disc grinding machine and he was feeding them in one after another. The funny thing is that I initially thought it was a disc polishing machine.

I guess they want to keep all the used dvds for sale more recent ones at $9,99 and $14.99, which really doesnt appeal to me, if I wanted a movie enough to pay that kind of money for it, I would just buy it new. I used to look forward to buying used dvds at like $2.99, but I guess this goes against thier "corporate mentality" all goes back to them wanting to keep the "perceived value" up as high as possible, but to me anyway, the "perceived value" was not that high to begin with

dullboy
07-30-09, 09:43 AM
So, wait...if BL is selling us stolen dvds, what other hot shit are we buying? Now I feel guilty about that bag of pork skins.

Proglodite
07-30-09, 09:51 AM
A fellow DVD Talker posted that the manager of the Durham, NC store on Hwy 55 was supposedly going to geta big restock today (7/30/2009). I went there last evening in the off chance they'd be put out early. No such luck.

This morning I set out with the intention of being there right at 9am...but various things side-tracked me and I found myself at the Western Blvd Raleigh, NC location right at 9am. At first it didn't look like anything special, but on closer examination I began to see a lot of new inventory. I'm not sure when it was put out - it looked somewhat picked over, but I was the first one there. Anyway, picked up multiple seasons of ER, several S7 Blu-Rays of Smallville (to show up in the trade thread later); Wonder Woman S2&S3, Blade,Roots 30th (first pesonal sighting in NC), and a number of the NFL sets (for a friend). There were still maybe 10 copies of Top Cat when I left, lots of Dallas, some Friends, and ER.

I next hit the Cary, NC store...nothing.

About 10am I finally got to the Durham store...and no new inventory there. According to the check-out lady, I didn't miss anything.

So - lesson learned: can't trust winking managers as to when stock will be put out. Also, stuff is still showing up, so looks like the hunt goes on (though personally I'm probably going to 'retire' after today; I think I have enough trade stuff to fill in the gaps of stuff I actively want).

Peter

docdoowop
07-30-09, 10:49 AM
Heading out to the Bay Area this weekend for a wedding and plan to visit the San Leandro, San Pablo and Hercules stores. Any locals have any advice? Do I need to pack my piece? :johnwoo2:

yellowlt4
07-30-09, 10:52 AM
Shape up WB and learn to take responsibility for your own actions and go after the third party that did all this to your firm to start with and not go after the stores or anyone else that carried your products or the customers who legally bought these sets.

Isn't this exactly what the WB is doing?

WB made a blunder!

Last I checked, we're allowed to buy products at stores that are offered on sale and by God, that's what we all did! I don't think that's a terrible crime and we paid hard-earned money for those products and it wasn't easy either to attain them! Trust us on that!

I don't see how any of this is a "WB blunder". They legally hired a company (likely under a very strict contract) to do a job and that company failed to live up to the requirements of that contract and now they are being suid for breach of said contract. There is no indication what so ever that the WB is going to go after Big Lots or its customers regarding this issue (assuming thas where this stock came from in the first place).

Cheato
07-30-09, 11:09 AM
I guess they want to keep all the used dvds for sale more recent ones at $9,99 and $14.99, which really doesnt appeal to me, if I wanted a movie enough to pay that kind of money for it, I would just buy it new. I used to look forward to buying used dvds at like $2.99, but I guess this goes against thier "corporate mentality" all goes back to them wanting to keep the "perceived value" up as high as possible, but to me anyway, the "perceived value" was not that high to begin with
I'm not sure, but it sounds like you're pointing a finger at Blockbuster.
Just to be clear, this is not Blockbuster's policy. This is a requirement by the studios in order for Blockbuster to carry the DVDs for rental.
I worked there when the policy was first implemented, and we had to send a number of copies of various titles back to the BBV distribution center every week, but I left before they got the grinding machine (although I had been told it was to be coming soon).

SpinalGuffman
07-30-09, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure, but it sounds like you're pointing a finger at Blockbuster.
Just to be clear, this is not Blockbuster's policy. This is a requirement by the studios in order for Blockbuster to carry the DVDs for rental.
I worked there when the policy was first implemented, and we had to send a number of copies of various titles back to the BBV distribution center every week, but I left before they got the grinding machine (although I had been told it was to be coming soon).I'm confused. There are always dozens of used copies of many recent titles for sale at all the big chain rental places. Often they make it to the 4 for $20 type displays.

How is that not flooding the market?

jsz1002
07-30-09, 11:26 AM
Anybody have an email address for warner brothers home video? Two of my sets are scratched and/or cracked on certain discs. My big lots apparently doesn't have any more to exchange. Thanks.

ProfessorEcho
07-30-09, 11:35 AM
AP is reporting that Warner Brothers attorneys have filed for an injunction against any more copies of JOEY SEASON 1 appearing in any way, shape or form in any venue worldwide. Lead corporate attorney Rory Graustark made an impassioned plea both in the brief and to the media: "We don't care about any of the other DVDs that were supposed to be destroyed, but for God's sakes, we are begging everyone everywhere, please, please, please destroy your copies of JOEY SEASON 1! Oh the humanity!!!"

SethDLH
07-30-09, 11:42 AM
AP is reporting that Warner Brothers attorneys have filed for an injunction against any more copies of JOEY SEASON 1 appearing in any way, shape or form in any venue worldwide. Lead corporate attorney Rory Graustark made an impassioned plea both in the brief and to the media: "We don't care about any of the other DVDs that were supposed to be destroyed, but for God's sakes, we are begging everyone everywhere, please, please, please destroy your copies of JOEY SEASON 1! Oh the humanity!!!"

:lol: i love that JOEY has become the newest DVD to make fun of hahaha

Phibes
07-30-09, 12:08 PM
Actually being in the jurisdiction of Warner Brothers I might need that gun to have you fire up the chopper and fly me to the immunity of Canadia. WB lawyers might be storming my compound to shred what I've been able to find at BL. ;)

As the sole Canadian to allegedly take part in this filthy exercise, I have diplomatic immunity. If any such ill-gotten lucre did come back here with me--and I'm not saying it did, because I cannot recall the details at this time--they would be considered the sovereign property of Her Majesty The Queen. Cheerio and all that!

Phibes? Phibes who? Wait, what's he doing with that gun?!?

Gizmo
07-30-09, 12:13 PM

It has nothing to do with Blockbuster - the studios want them destroyed not resold after a certain amount of time. Nice to know they have a machine now though :lol:

Steve
07-30-09, 12:18 PM
A fellow DVD Talker posted that the manager of the Durham, NC store on Hwy 55 was supposedly going to geta big restock today (7/30/2009). I went there last evening in the off chance they'd be put out early. No such luck.

This morning I set out with the intention of being there right at 9am...but various things side-tracked me and I found myself at the Western Blvd Raleigh, NC location right at 9am. At first it didn't look like anything special, but on closer examination I began to see a lot of new inventory. I'm not sure when it was put out - it looked somewhat picked over, but I was the first one there. Anyway, picked up multiple seasons of ER, several S7 Blu-Rays of Smallville (to show up in the trade thread later); Wonder Woman S2&S3, Blade,Roots 30th (first pesonal sighting in NC), and a number of the NFL sets (for a friend). There were still maybe 10 copies of Top Cat when I left, lots of Dallas, some Friends, and ER.

I next hit the Cary, NC store...nothing.

About 10am I finally got to the Durham store...and no new inventory there. According to the check-out lady, I didn't miss anything.

So - lesson learned: can't trust winking managers as to when stock will be put out. Also, stuff is still showing up, so looks like the hunt goes on (though personally I'm probably going to 'retire' after today; I think I have enough trade stuff to fill in the gaps of stuff I actively want).

Peter

were the Blu-ray still $6? or now $3?

Proglodite
07-30-09, 12:31 PM
All the sets at Raleigh, NC were $6 except Top Cat.

Peter

miller_time22
07-30-09, 12:44 PM

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. :)

jgorow
07-30-09, 12:51 PM
It has nothing to do with Blockbuster - the studios want them destroyed not resold after a certain amount of time. Nice to know they have a machine now though :lol:

I would imagine this would make it quite easy for a "team" of employees at a blockbuster to band together and "salvage" a bunch of discs instead of destroying them, and just claim to have destroyed them, and then resell them on a secondary market

rmw650
07-30-09, 01:07 PM
I'm also after these two titles as well in addition to the many HB sets that have been spotted throughout many BL locations throughout the USA and if anyone on here can help me, I'd appreciate it.

Wait Till Your Father Gets Home: The Complete 1st Season ($6.00)

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Academy Awards Animation Collection: 15 Winners 26 Nominees ($3.00)

JAYARE
07-30-09, 01:26 PM
Heading out to the Bay Area this weekend for a wedding and plan to visit the San Leandro, San Pablo and Hercules stores. Any locals have any advice? Do I need to pack my piece? :johnwoo2:

dont bother with the hurcules store i wiped that out yesterday.

hal9000
07-30-09, 01:41 PM
Just came from the Whittier BL, picked up 1 of each:

Pinky And The Brain [Season 2] $6 (dozen or so left)
The History Of Rock 'N' Roll $6 (dozen left)
Josie And The Pussycats $3 (buried, last one)
Mission Hill [Complete Series] $3 (half dozen left)

lewisb73
07-30-09, 01:56 PM
I don't know about the rest of you, but it's gonna be hard for me to go back to just buying $3 movies at BL, when I've been spoiled with the $3 and $6 tv sets and other boxed goodies... I've happily been shopping fir DVDs from big lots for over a year now, we'd get the occasional $3 tv series from time to time, but nothing like these past few months.

I'm not completely convinced the WB stuff we've been buying was stolen either... Another poster mentioned this was about Dark Knight discs... And Big Lots has had two advertised sales on Warner titles seperated by a couple weeks.... Don't you think they'd have done something about it sooner I that was the case...

DriftChamp
07-30-09, 02:04 PM
All the $3 boxsets were gone my my local BL, but I was able to pick up this gem:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/pimpbot2000/IMG_121.jpg

Brent L
07-30-09, 02:09 PM
:lol:

cracksky
07-30-09, 02:24 PM
The Five Below stores have similar product like Droopy, Hong Kong Phooey and HD-DVD's, all for $5 each so were these supposed to be destroyed as well? The story is all very fishy to me. How does BB sell dvd's for $4.99? That's basically a closeout sale section within their own store.

Ralph_Furley
07-30-09, 02:36 PM
From the LA Times:

Time Warner reports. Time Warner said this morning that profits were off 34% for the media conglomerate's second quarter, primarily due to fewer DVD sales and a weaker advertising market. That 34% also takes into account that last year Time Warner Cable was still part of the company (it has since been spun off). Income from continuing operations was off just 8%. HBO was the bright spot. Early reports from the Associated Press and Broadcasting & Cable.

(can't post link because of 30 post rule)

Seems to me that Warner Bros was just blowing out some inventory because of weak sales.

That'sAllFolks
07-30-09, 02:40 PM
I have been pretty much igoning the regular DVDs but did see a a double feature with the Curve / Militia (what a combo!). Anyway these are produced by Avalance and there are no specs --- are these anamorphic WS? The stand-alone Curve is Letterbox according to DVD Empire scan, so I guess it's not anamorphic.

Anybody know?

triefy
07-30-09, 02:53 PM
All the $3 boxsets were gone my my local BL, but I was able to pick up this gem

I guess you already had Brick. Otherwise, you missed out on a great deal if Brick was $3.

triefy
07-30-09, 02:56 PM
I went to the Big Lots in Crestwood, MO. Nothing really there. I was too late on this one.

They did have 1 copy of Willard (Remake) for $3 and United 93 packed with another film for $6. Those were really the only good buys I could see.

PopcornBandit
07-30-09, 03:38 PM
Visited the two closest locations to me:

Cedar Springs - No $3 sets left, a couple of copies of Joey and the OC. I did finally find Overnight Delivery, so it wasn't a complete waste.

Pinewood - One copy of Wacky Races, two copies of Popeye (one after I left, lol) and that's it. No other $3 or $6 sets.

I will check both locations again on Saturday, and after that I'm on an indefinite Big Lots hiatus. =)

dullboy
07-30-09, 03:49 PM
The new weekly ad for this coming Sunday is up. No dvds, but you can get ahold of one of these classy towels...

http://usera.ImageCave.com/dullboy/facebutt.jpg

ProfessorEcho
07-30-09, 04:10 PM
All the $3 boxsets were gone my my local BL, but I was able to pick up this gem:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/pimpbot2000/IMG_121.jpg

Oh come on. First TRUE BLOOD and DEADWOOD and now this? How gullible do you think we are? There's no way a classic like this title is at Big Lots for $3.00!!!! I'll believe it when I see it....

House13
07-30-09, 04:15 PM
The new weekly ad for this coming Sunday is up. No dvds, but you can get ahold of one of these classy towels...

The worst thing is that I own one of these towels. A family member thought it would make a great Xmas present.

dullboy
07-30-09, 04:18 PM
The worst thing is that I own one of these towels. A family member thought it would make a great Xmas present.
Ha! Do you follow the directions?

House13
07-30-09, 04:25 PM

HA HA! Well I do, but on my dogs since I decided they would get more use out of it than me.

jgorow
07-30-09, 04:29 PM

he uses the "face" side for "the butt", then hangs the towel back up for the next person to use

ghetto_journo
07-30-09, 04:37 PM
New pickup for me:

Tracey Takes On...:Season One $3 (now I have the first two seasons, which apparently are now out of print.)
Larry King Live: The Greatest Interviews $3
Murphy Brown: The Complete First Season $3 (this included the Commemorative DVD Volume 2 featuring My Sister Sam and Room For Two. Also, this is the only season of Murphy Brown to be released.)

b2net
07-30-09, 05:17 PM
Hey All,

For those interested... it is portuguese to english....

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcidadeverde.com%2Fentretenimento_txt.php%3Fid%3D41924&lp=pt_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

AaronSch
07-30-09, 05:46 PM
Stopped in at three Big Lots again today.

To quote another forum member: "The party's over..."

BobO'Link
07-30-09, 05:47 PM
So... anyone else notice that this thread has had over 57,763 views? That's the number at the time of this post. Pretty good for a thread that was started 07-23-09 at 4:33 PM. That's over 8200 views per day...

I'm growing to hate BL... I've been *every* day for the past 3 weeks... sometimes twice a day! Just for grins and giggles, I got my receipts out and added it all up... over $200!! Doesn't seem like so much when it's a $3 title one day, 4-5 another, etc., etc. Of course that's for 30 (!?! - just now added them up... wow!) TV season sets and a couple of dozen movies, *all* for my personal collection! The only saving grace is that the total would have been much higher had I made the same purchases anywhere else! Gotta justify it somehow, eh? When one of the checkers asked if I had watched any of them yet I told her I've not had time because I've been spending too much time reading this thread and visiting BL to buy more to watch anything I've purchased...

On second thought... I *love* BL! :)

marctheknife
07-30-09, 06:16 PM
I've been to three Big Lots locations this week and have found absolutely nothing. Oddly enough, there are more copies of Tracy Takes On hanging around than Joey.

This was great while it lasted. I got pretty much everything I wanted sans the holy grail (Looney Tunes).

Keith123
07-30-09, 06:29 PM
I didn't go to any Big Lots today!!! I feel so free and alive! Anyway, back to Big Lots tomorrow...

king moonracer
07-30-09, 06:38 PM
Yeah, as many others have already stated, looks like the well has dried up

Did a mini run of 4 orlando area stores and saw nothing interesting at all, some $6 dollar sets but the usual suspects OC Dukes blah blah blah.

Also saw a customer trying to get the $6 sets for $3 because they were in the ad for $3, not sure if he was successful or not.

Definitely not going to complain, got a lot of cool stuff to watch including tons of cartoons to watch with my boy. Good luck everyone

BobO'Link
07-30-09, 06:41 PM
I've been to three Big Lots locations this week and have found absolutely nothing. Oddly enough, there are more copies of Tracy Takes On hanging around than Joey.

This was great while it lasted. I got pretty much everything I wanted sans the holy grail (Looney Tunes).
Same here with the "Tracey Takes On" title. *Still* 7-8 copies available, with almost everything else gone or buried amongst movies. The only other thing with multiple copies is "The West Wing" S2. There are *no* copies of Joey left even though this store started with ~12.

Wednesday, when the ad hit the paper, there were *lots* of people digging through the movies but I don't think any of those people were looking for the TV sets as the few that were there Wednesday at noon were still there today, still buried.

greyslade
07-30-09, 06:45 PM
So what's the consensus? Think there will be another round of boxset gold?

MooMooMooMoo
07-30-09, 06:46 PM
I am told that this coming week's new dvd's will be some sort of a $6.00 "Family pack".

JAYARE
07-30-09, 06:50 PM
Oh come on. First TRUE BLOOD and DEADWOOD and now this? How gullible do you think we are? There's no way a classic like this title is at Big Lots for $3.00!!!! I'll believe it when I see it....

i can confirm that this has been at a few BLs.

Superdaddy
07-30-09, 06:51 PM
I am told that this coming week's new dvd's will be some sort of a $6.00 "Family pack".

Just came from BL a few hours ago; quite a few Mill Creek sets there for $6.00, that I didn't see a few days ago...Benji movies, cartoons, nothing that thrilled me personally but maybe this is what they mean.

Saw a guy picking over the movies and the remnants (very few) of the boxed sets. He got a stack of stuff but no Popeye, Flintstones, Tales from the Crypt, etc., as those were all gone.

Brent L
07-30-09, 07:00 PM
My area has always been a week or two behind, so I fully expect that this weekend, or at the start of next week, I'll see the $10 sets show up. Then after that, I have no clue. I haven't heard from those that get things a week or two before me that they've seen anything new since the $10 sets.

Gizmo
07-30-09, 07:18 PM

http://usera.ImageCave.com/dullboy/facebutt.jpg

Nice!! Gonna get one for my GF and tell her to reverse it for extra laughs.

Proglodite
07-30-09, 07:33 PM
Some copies of "Searching for John Ford" by Joseph McBride have shown up in NC stores I've visited. Looks like a fairly good biography. Priced at $5. I've also seen a magazine-sized book reproducing Mexican film posters...also priced at $5 (would have grabbed that one if it'd been $3). --Peter

grune
07-30-09, 07:45 PM
I checked Cambridge and Marietta OH and Parkersberg and South Parkersberg WV today. All I found was some repeats of stuff I've already got to put on the trade list. Unless some more shipments come in in the future (which it sounds like depends on if Big Lots has more in the warehouse or if everything has been sent to the stores already)

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
07-30-09, 08:23 PM
The value to a studio is not the media used to record upon but the intellectual property that is recorded. Its no different than farmers dumping milk or burning produce rather than sending them to market and driving prices down.

Actually companies do dump milk, and other products, but it's where they sell it for super cheap to take the market and then raise the prices after the local market's gone. Jamaica's a good example of where this happened, as well as being able to see a recent example of the world bank screwing a country over.

I hit Big Lots yesterday and just saw the remnants of when I hit it a couple weeks earlier. I'll just be glad when everybody stops going and I can find decent prices on movies like I did before but without the stampedes. Sure there won't be the super amazing deals like recently but there was always stuff to get in the past.

QuirkyMovieGirl
07-30-09, 08:35 PM
If this Warner lawsuit is referring to titles showing up at Big Lots, I am very sad that some of these sets weren't donated to toys for tots and toys for teens but were instead marked for destruction. Considering the amount of animated sets showing up alone, these could have made some much loved Christmas gifts for underprivileged children, and would have still provided a write off for Warner.

jgorow
07-30-09, 08:35 PM
So what's the consensus? Think there will be another round of boxset gold?

I think, if anything, it will be mill creek. as far as major label box sets, that this was a 1 shot deal, unless they can negotiate with another studio, but I imagine the studios are far more interested in pushing to bluray, holding a higher price point that is more profittable for them. apparently, warner never meant for these box sets to go to retail. be thankful for what you got while it lasted. if anything we might start seeing more oop single discs. I just hope that this trend of destroying overstocked media doesnt become the industry standard.

07-30-09, 08:39 PM
I think, if anything, it will be mill creek.

Them continuing to sell Mill Creek stuff won't be anything new. They've been selling, and I've been buying, their stuff for years at Big Lots at these prices. They've also always had tons of $3 movies also. Been shopping there for years just for the DVDs.

jgorow
07-30-09, 08:40 PM
If this Warner lawsuit is referring to titles showing up at Big Lots, I am very sad that some of these sets weren't donated to toys for tots and toys for teens but were instead marked for destruction. Considering the amount of animated sets showing up alone, these could have made some much loved Christmas gifts for underprivileged children, and would have still provided a write off for Warner.

I agree, these should have gone to a legit childrens charity, given the amount of animated titles, rather than marked for destruction.

jgorow
07-30-09, 08:42 PM
Them continuing to sell Mill Creek stuff won't be anything new. They've been selling, and I've been buying, their stuff for years at Big Lots at these prices. They've also always had tons of $3 movies also. Been shopping there for years just for the DVDs.

me too, been shopping there back when pretty much all they had was off-label and public domain discs. but, it seems to me that in the future, mill creek will be getting the rights to and producing better stuff than that have in the past, just like bci was starting to do shortly before thier demise. there is allways room for smaller labels to pick up the niche markets that the major studios dont find profittable enough for them.

jgorow
07-30-09, 08:51 PM
My area has always been a week or two behind, so I fully expect that this weekend, or at the start of next week, I'll see the $10 sets show up. Then after that, I have no clue. I haven't heard from those that get things a week or two before me that they've seen anything new since the $10 sets.

I hope for you, you are right brent, but I wouldnt count on it

John Sinnott
07-30-09, 09:00 PM
The party's over in Gainesville, FL. Went by again today and nothing new for over a week. They got a truck in yesterday, so I was hoping that some new stuff would show up but no luck. I'm going to stop checking daily.

slowdive21
07-30-09, 09:00 PM
I just got back from a 3 state, 7 big lots tour. The $6 sets were still $6 in each state. They did have 'new stock' since last week. Bought Sex in the city season 6 for $6 (not sure if that is an old one or not) as well as friends S5 for $6. I saw DVDs, I hadn't seen before like blade 2 and blade 3. I also saw a thundercats DVD with the silver/felt slipcase and the DVD was actually sealed (discs 11 and 12).

marctheknife
07-30-09, 10:08 PM
Ha. I don't know if I'd consider the Face/Butt towel a bargain @ $7.00 after getting all the Hanna Barbera/Tales from the Crypt sets for $3.00.

My Other Self
07-30-09, 10:10 PM
So what's the consensus? Think there will be another round of boxset gold?I wouldn't count on it. My guess is once the lawsuit was filed they weren't able to sell any more sets to Big Lots. That's speculation but it makes sense.

Mickactual
07-30-09, 10:22 PM
Trip to Clifton NJ Big Lots today was a bust. The only boxes they had were one remaining Larry King and one remaining Joey (no comments, please...).

What was interesting is that they apparently got a very limited single titles restock. Very few titles, and only one or two of each, but I'm certain these weren't there last time I stopped in. I spotted among others:
Bright Lights Big City
Supernova
Dances With Wolves
Doctor Faustus
Forever Darling
Bad Influence
Custer Of The West

bmvtoys
07-30-09, 10:40 PM
I wouldn't count on it. My guess is once the lawsuit was filed they weren't able to sell any more sets to Big Lots. That's speculation but it makes sense.

They didnt sell them to big lots, a subsupplier did.

This is the same supplier that sold them to newberry comics and such, they just couldnt move it as fast as they thought they could so they just dumped it on big lots.

Now the big question is, will that supplier be held responsible too..(possesion and sale of stolen goods, etc

Surfinhank
07-30-09, 10:51 PM
I was in Second Spin tonight and guess what they had for sale? The infamous Looney Tunes Collection Set with the character pins. With all the people who actually wanted that set doesn't it sucks that somebody bought it just to flip it?

Johnny Zhivago
07-30-09, 11:01 PM
Yeah, after checking yesterday, I'm pretty sure that the party is over... But that is a good thing. I now have about a zillion hours of material to spin. Rock.

I'm done and very much looking forward to stopping in every so often for household cleaning supplies, etc.. Of course, and the $3 DVD movie deals. A lot of those got lost in the madness but I still have a stack of 20 or so movies to watch in addition to that zillion hours of sets.

Did my part to pump some cash into the economy... Between the ~ $300 that I dropped in the last month or so and the gas + food and actually buying shit in Big Lots. Win-Win!

DVD Planet also got some love... Since I found or traded for most of the ER seasons, I filled in the gaps with my store credit. I'm now complete to date.

This has been very, very enjoyable. :)

doctaheath78
07-30-09, 11:02 PM
Wemt to 3 BLs today in South Florida (Hollywood)........Nothing new, I found 3 DVDs at the 1st one I picked up. I got the Only copy (which was hidden )of HB Birdman and the Galaxy Trio. I also picked up the only copy of Jacques Cousteau River Explorations and was about to check out and looked again to find the only copy of Lois and Clark V4.

Not too bad of a day for $9. :)

My Other Self
07-30-09, 11:14 PM
They didnt sell them to big lots, a subsupplier did.

This is the same supplier that sold them to newberry comics and such, they just couldnt move it as fast as they thought they could so they just dumped it on big lots.

Now the big question is, will that supplier be held responsible too..(possesion and sale of stolen goods, etcThats's what I was referring to. The supplier isn't selling anything else.

hasslein
07-30-09, 11:20 PM
I was in Second Spin tonight and guess what they had for sale? The infamous Looney Tunes Collection Set with the character pins. With all the people who actually wanted that set doesn't it sucks that somebody bought it just to flip it?

Santa Monica, or Sherman Oaks? How much were they asking for it?

zekeburger1979
07-30-09, 11:40 PM
Bright Lights Big City
Dances With Wolves

Both of these that I saw were the single-disc foolscreen versions so buyer beware!

I have a doctor's appointment in the morning and then I'm going to hit up Big Lots. I hope I haven't missed the $10 sets.

Cameron
07-30-09, 11:49 PM
nothing of interest in Nashville on Nolensville this afternoon either. I saw very few of the box sets last week when i went. Not sure if the hoarders killed it, or if they never got the sets.

Surfinhank
07-31-09, 12:20 AM
Santa Monica, or Sherman Oaks? How much were they asking for it?

Sherman Oaks. It was priced at a very reasonable $80.99

jgorow
07-31-09, 12:33 AM
Both of these that I saw were the single-disc foolscreen versions so buyer beware!

bright lights big city is not available anywhere at all in widescreen, its been on my want list for a long time, I might have to break down and buy it in fool screen. just like one of my guilty pleasures "last action hero" couldnt find it in widescreen anywhere and had eventually break down and buy fool screen (I love that movie, its arnold making fun of arnold), gotta love when f. murray abraham comes out and the kid tells arnold "watch out-he killed mozart!"

ChrisP
07-31-09, 12:34 AM
Nothing in Nashville on Charlotte this afternoon either. Perhaps the well is dry.

jgorow
07-31-09, 12:36 AM
Sherman Oaks. It was priced at a very reasonable $80.99

such a bargain, lol. they prob gave him about $15 for it, $20 at the very most, plus a copy of joey for his trouble

spartickes
07-31-09, 12:53 AM
Nothing in Franklin, TN either. Might go check Columbia tomorrow unless someone has a report? They do have a TON of 3 dollar singles there so I might get sucked in again regardless of the box set situation.

boc4ever
07-31-09, 05:36 AM
Managed to grab a copy of Lois and Clark S3 for $3, but otherwise nothing much happening at the Kennett Square and Aston stores. The Aston store still has some War at Home, Popeye, Pinky and the Brain, Animaniacs 2, OC S2 and West Wing 2. Oh yes, and a few copies of Joey remain at Kennett for $6 :)

Mike Long
07-31-09, 05:52 AM
The discussion of the WB boxed sets has had thousands of comments and no one has linked to this guy's review of Joey: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/21851/joey-the-complete-first-season/

cabbybass3
07-31-09, 07:51 AM
I didn't see anything in Columbia, TN or Franklin yesterday. I've been to both numerous times in the last two weeks, and never saw any of the good $3 sets.

ProfessorEcho
07-31-09, 08:16 AM
Was there ever anything more than isolated sightings of the LOONEY TUNES Box Set outside of Ohio and some parts of the eastern U.S.? I am pretty certain it never showed up in Illinois or California, two states I have been able to check since it was first reported. I'm just wondering if some of the higher ticket sets were so limited they never made it to most areas of the country. ???

PopcornBandit
07-31-09, 08:30 AM

I hope this is the case.

Brent L
07-31-09, 08:37 AM
For those of us in upstate SC, I'm almost 100% sure that all of those stores get their trucks on Fridays, and the stock is put out on the floor between Saturday and Monday. That's how it has been at each one of them I've been to so far, so let's be on the lookout this weekend. If we don't see new stuff this weekend, then yeah, we're likely out of luck.

ProfessorEcho
07-31-09, 08:41 AM
The manager I spoke with here in the Chicago area said that their delivery trucks come on Friday and new stock is usually out on the floor by opening on Sunday morning. Of course, he also said that there is no guarantee the Friday deliveries will include any DVDs.

SimpsonsFan
07-31-09, 10:44 AM
Just thought I'd throw this out there. For those of you who did miss out on finding any of the crypt sets (like myself), most all of them are selling on amazon marketplace ~$5 to $6. Of course you gotta pay shipping too, but still, subtract gas/in-store hassle and you almost come out on the wash.

illennium
07-31-09, 10:51 AM
The discussion of the WB boxed sets has had thousands of comments and no one has linked to this guy's review of Joey: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/21851/joey-the-complete-first-season/

But... you also highly recommended Barbie in the 12 Dancing Princesses (http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/24320/barbie-in-the-12-dancing-princesses/). :)

jgorow
07-31-09, 11:09 AM
But... you also highly recommended Barbie in the 12 Dancing Princesses (http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/24320/barbie-in-the-12-dancing-princesses/). :)

if you want a real bomb, its that "theodore rex" it had a 35 mill budget, originally intended for theatrical release, was released direct to video after disasterous test screenings, whoopi goldberg tried to back out after committing to it, but the producers sued her and she had to do the film.

My Other Self
07-31-09, 12:52 PM
Was there ever anything more than isolated sightings of the LOONEY TUNES Box Set outside of Ohio and some parts of the eastern U.S.? I am pretty certain it never showed up in Illinois or California, two states I have been able to check since it was first reported. I'm just wondering if some of the higher ticket sets were so limited they never made it to most areas of the country. ???There's no method or formula for what stors get what sets. I live in CA and haven't found LT where I live but it's been spotted all over SoCal. The set I have now was from IL where the guy who traded it to me lived. It's just hit or miss.

statcat
07-31-09, 01:04 PM
Just thought I'd throw this out there. For those of you who did miss out on finding any of the crypt sets (like myself), most all of them are selling on amazon marketplace ~$5 to $6. Of course you gotta pay shipping too, but still, subtract gas/in-store hassle and you almost come out on the wash.

all except the 7th which is the only one I want but I remember it being crap anyways. I just bought the first one for $6 to finish my 1-6 collection, got it today.

07-31-09, 03:22 PM
Now the big question is, will that supplier be held responsible too..(possesion and sale of stolen goods, etc

Not unless there was intent and I'm guessing the supplier wasn't told the stuff was stolen before they bought them.

whotony
07-31-09, 04:36 PM
Managed to grab a copy of Lois and Clark S3 for $3, but otherwise nothing much happening at the Kennett Square and Aston stores. The Aston store still has some War at Home, Popeye, Pinky and the Brain, Animaniacs 2, OC S2 and West Wing 2. Oh yes, and a few copies of Joey remain at Kennett for $6 :)

I just returned Lois and Clark seAson 2 /& 3 to aston
yesterday. Probably saw the one I returned.

Was at Kennet square today and saw
best of scooby movies and a couple
Bob and the devil.

Preterite
07-31-09, 04:49 PM
The manager I spoke with here in the Chicago area said that their delivery trucks come on Friday and new stock is usually out on the floor by opening on Sunday morning. Of course, he also said that there is no guarantee the Friday deliveries will include any DVDs.
I dunno about Sunday. The only time I found anything good in Chicagoland BL's was on a Friday afternoon. And I know the stuff had just been put out because the Looney Tunes, Super Bowl, and IMAX stuff were still on the shelves.

Brent L
07-31-09, 05:37 PM
Alrighty, what I said earlier is at least partially true. I've had at least two stores tell me they have received new DVDs today and that they'll be put out between tonight and Monday or Tuesday at the absolute latest. They told me they weren't sure if it was a restock of the $3 sets or the new $10 stuff, but that they did get new DVDs in for sure.

The game continues guys!

Well, at least for those of use who are behind some of the others. :D

Quatermass
07-31-09, 05:43 PM
Neither the NW OKC or MWC, OK stores have had anything new in a week. We never got the $10 sets or most of the more desirable box sets, either. I hope they get some new stuff soon, otherwise I'll be back to having no purpose in life.

rmw650
07-31-09, 05:46 PM
I dunno about Sunday. The only time I found anything good in Chicagoland BL's was on a Friday afternoon. And I know the stuff had just been put out because the Looney Tunes, Super Bowl, and IMAX stuff were still on the shelves.

Which location in the Chicagoland area are you referring to Preterite?

Ishouldknowbetter
07-31-09, 08:06 PM
nothing new in Methuen, MA or Derry, NH.

basaro
07-31-09, 08:51 PM
nothing new in Methuen, MA or Derry, NH.

Or Portsmouth. Still a half-ish open case of Popeye there on the floor this morning, and a few stragglers like common Flintstones sets, Dastardly & Muttley, Life Goes On S1, War At Home S1.