Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Speaker wire 50ft - 14AWG or 16AWG ???

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Speaker wire 50ft - 14AWG or 16AWG ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-00, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,
I'm rewiring my surround speakers(~50ft distance) and going to get new wires. Does it make any difference if I get 14, 16 or 18AWG wires(Infinity RS-3). I know that 50 feet is pretty long distance.

Thanks.

Old 03-23-00, 02:02 PM

For that long of a run I would use at least 16 AWG.

It will have more strands of copper and therefore more signal will make it across the distance. Higher guage wire would work fine but if you ever cranked it the signal loss might be noticeable.

I've always been of the mind to do it right the first time so that I don't have to do it again.

[This message has been edited by bberdine (edited March 23, 2000).]
Old 03-23-00, 02:07 PM

Thanks for an advice. So I'm gonna get 14AWG.
Old 03-23-00, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd go for 14 gauge or even 12 gauge if you're having to go 50 feet. By going with a lower gauge, you are lowering the resistence of the wire, and are able to deliver more power/current to the speakers.

But with all that being said, 16 gauge is the highest gauge wire I'd use. Do not use 18 or 20 gauge wire.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 03-23-00, 04:34 PM

12 AWG is the way to go, IMHO. $1/foot
monster should do the trick affordably.

Make sure you get decent terminators for
the connections, don't use bare twisted wire.

------------------
-------
DVD Toolkit | Audio 101 | Stereo411 (The Ultimate Audio Resource!)
Old 03-23-00, 06:34 PM

I would use 12 ga for that long a run.You can get it for .30 a foot at Home Depot.I found that the Radio Shack gold series bannana plugs have a nice snug fit.But they are a little pricey.About 8 bucks a pair.

------------------
"Just my 1.5 cents,cause I can't afford 2 cents anymore!"

[This message has been edited by Jetfan (edited March 23, 2000).]
Old 03-23-00, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
12 if you can, otherwise 14 will work OK.
Old 03-23-00, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd go for the 12guage as most suggested as the price difference isn't much, easily found for $0.30 a foot from Home Depot or Parts Express?? (lost my catalog, but it was sold under the name FrostKing). I wouldn't bother paying Monster Cable any royalty for their name, I surely doubt my modem would respond faster if I used their phone cable too.
Old 03-24-00, 12:39 AM

When you're running wire for your surrounds 14 gauge should be sufficient.

Make sure you purchase MULTI-STRANDED copper wire only!!! This is generally why certain wire costs more (i.e. Monster Cable) With a run that long you'll definately have increased resistance so buy quality cable. Think of increased resistance as sucking a milkshake through a coffee stirer.

Does your reciever have binding posts for your rear outputs? If so, go ahead and buy 12 gauge for your rears. 12 gauge usually does not fit well into spring-loaded outputs.

How are you running your cable? Under carpet or behind walls? Jacket material is important also. Make sure the jacket is thick and flexible. I use Monster Cable XP 16 gauge for my center and both surrounds.

Oh, one more thing, GO BLUES!!!
Old 03-24-00, 10:42 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by svadas:
I wouldn't bother paying Monster Cable any royalty for their name, I surely doubt my modem would respond faster if I used their phone cable too.<HR>

Monster makes good quailty, widely-available
OFC wire.

Buying anything else, most of which will
oxidize to save a few pennies, doesn't
make much sense.

Just spend the extra $20 and be done with it.

------------------
-------
DVD Toolkit | Audio 101 | Stereo411 (The Ultimate Audio Resource!)
Old 03-24-00, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Michael, an extra $20 for Monster cable over what? I recently upgraded my wiring and checked on the price of Monster Cable. At $1.50 a foot for 12-gauge Monster, the 130 feet I needed would have cost me $195. I went to Lowe's and purchased their 12-gauge speaker cable; at 27 cents/foot it was $37. Big difference.

I keep seeing you mention this oxidation but could you explain what happened or what can happen with non-OFC cable? I find it hard to believe that the cable is rendered useless after a while - I mean even if the copper became discolored somewhere at the ends (this happens INSIDE the sealed wire??) I would think it would still work okay. I've had speakers in cars and my garage just wired with old cheap wire that probably wasn't OFC and it sounds fine years later, never saw any oxidation either. Maybe you could elaborate on it for me because without hearing more I am skeptical about this oxidation.

Monster cable makes some nice products, but at some people's price range and equipment level they'd be better off spending their money on some other upgrade than $150 or more worth of speaker cable.

Rezo I have to say that I'd recommend going for the 12-gauge in that long of a run. I started with 16-gauge in a 35-40 foot run and when I upgraded to the 12-gauge it actually made an audible difference - I'm getting a little more sound out of my rears now. Lower than 12-gauge probably wouldn't do you any good though.

Old 03-24-00, 10:53 PM

Everybody, thank you very much for your help.
I decided to go with 12-Gauge basic wire for now. Later when I get some extra $$$ I'll upgrade my wiring. And please, do not start war over the wires because we all are right(and wrong).
Thanks again.
Old 06-03-00, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Wolfchild:
I keep seeing you mention this oxidation but could you explain what happened or what can happen with non-OFC cable? I find it hard to believe that the cable is rendered useless after a while - I mean even if the copper became discolored somewhere at the ends (this happens INSIDE the sealed wire??) I would think it would still work okay...Maybe you could elaborate on it for me because without hearing more I am skeptical about this oxidation.
<HR>

Actually, what he's talkinga bout does happen. I just threw away some 12-gauge "hardware store" speaker wire that I had for about 4 years in my room. It was so badly oxidized that it looked like algae(seriously). I'm not real sure what this does to sound quality as I had crappy speakers, but it does happen. This time around I ordered some Pheonix Gold OFC 12-Gauge. I really want to put Banana plugs on it, but they are SO dang expensive. Any ideas? I've heard Acoustic Research makes affordable gold-plated banana plugs, but I have yet to find them(didn't see them on the web page either, hard to navigate.) Any ideas?
-Scott
Old 06-05-00, 02:42 PM

50 feet isn't too far. You could easily use a 16. But 12 or 14 should wouldn't hurt. A lot depends on how much power you are sneding through it. If you have a high current amp with great power, use a 12. If it's not a top of the line amp, 16 will work fine.

We sell the Pheonix Gold 12 gauge for $.50/foot and the 16 gauge for $.35/foot.