Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sima SVS-4

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-00, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have this in thier home theater setup? I wanted some opinions on it as far as picture degredation (if any) and any other comments..Im thinking of buying one..thanks!
Old 06-05-00, 10:32 AM
AW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have not used the Sima switcher, but it looks loka good deal (s-video auto switching and conversion for $149). Currently, on my bedroom system Sony 20V80 20" TV) a Tributaries C2S composite to S-video converter to convert my vcr to s-video and a an inexpensive Sony switcher (I do not remember the model number off hand, bt its MSRP is about $59), and do not notice any degredation from the switcher (there is some artifacting as a result of the composite to s-video conversion compared to the digital comb filter in my tv, but that is the cost of convenience and being able to run my DVD in to the tv via s-video). I have seen the inexpensive Terk switcher on a Sony KV27XBR45 without noticing any degredation. I would bet that as a switcher the Sima has at least similar performance to the Terk or Sony switchers and that the S-video conversion would be similar to a passive converter like the Tributaries C2S.

My Sony/Tributaries set-up cost about $149 ($100 for the C2S and 49 for the switcher), but it does not have auto switching and, if I had another composite video source, I would need another C2S. On the plus side, my set-up is passive so it does not need to power and is very small (the switcher easily sits on top of my TV and so does not take up any shelf space). If the Sima SVS4 was available at the time I was looking for a solution to my one input with two sources problem, I would have bought it.