Search this Thread

Old 07-22-09, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Dark Blue -- "Guns, Strippers and Wives" -- 7/22/09

Dark Blue

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Ty goes undercover to take down a gun trafficker, but he breaks crucial rules by seeing his wife on her birthday, potentially blowing his cover. Carter must obtain a cool $100,000 to protect Ty's mission---and save his life.

I enjoyed the series premiere alot last week even though some of you were moaning and groaning about it. Really looking forward to it.
Old 07-23-09, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Re: Dark Blue -- "Guns, Strippers and Wives" -- 7/22/09

Did anyone watch the 2nd episode?

I just finished it and it was a very entertaining episode.

I thought it was pretty dumb of Ty (the black cop) to visit his wife for her birthday while on a 2 week Deep Cover assignment and put her life in jeaporady. I guess he's never heard of 1-800-FLOWERS. But, I think it did add a compelling element to the story.

Also, Ty's life was on the line and was it really appropriate for Carter to question Dean where he got the extra $30K from? Hell, I would say he got it, who cares where it came from, let's get Ty. I know they are trying to make Dean a questionable character in his motives since he's been in quite a few Deep Cover assignments. I actually think he's the most fascinating character amongst the team.

I really like the way this show is shot and of course the score. It feels alot more grander than a generic 60 minute procedural drama you would see on the big 3. Danny Cannon has done a good job directing the 1st 2 episodes.

Personally, I think Dylan McDermott has played the Carter Shaw character very low key which I have enjoyed. I don't think he's overdoing it or lacks the credibility to make the character realistic.
Old 07-23-09, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought it was good, agree with a bunch of the points above.

I hated to see him going back to his wife in the middle of an undercover. You want to think these guys are pros and sharp and know their stuff - this seems like an incredibly "rookie" type move. Seemed too much like a forced plot device even as it was happening (and pretty easy to see that it would either get back to McDermott or to the bad guys).

The money questioning I thought was also silly - they're ripping off drug dealers and he's worried where the other money came from?

McDermott seemed a lot better in this episode then the first. I'm not sure if it was different or if I'm just getting used to the character.

If they are going for a sense of realism, they really need to clean up some of the small things (like the stuff above), but overall the show is entertaining.
Old 07-23-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Also, Ty's life was on the line and was it really appropriate for Carter to question Dean where he got the extra $30K from?
especially considering they had just robbed a suspected drug house to get the other 70
Old 07-23-09, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

This episode was much better than the pilot, but yeah the guy was an idiot for going home. Not just the job, but he put his wife in danger.

I don't think questioning the 30 grand is out of line. The boss needs to have his ducks in a row when it comes to their methods, and know what his team is up to. If one of his guys is on the take, or has gotten too deep, it could destroy the whole team.
Old 07-23-09, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I thought this episode was alot better than the first also.
Old 07-25-09, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Yeah, much better than the 1st episode. Liked it quite a bit.