Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Next Daredevil Graphic Novel to read?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-09, 11:54 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next Daredevil Graphic Novel to read?

I just finished all of Millers Daredevil volumes (1-3), plus Man Without Fear and Born Again. Where next in the Daredevil realm? Is Omnibus Vol 1 a good read? Any advice would be appreciate.

So you have an idea of what to suggest, I thought Born Again was excellent. Batman and Green Arrow are the other two "hero's" I follow. I've pretty much read all of the Batman stuff, but suggestions on Green Arrow are welcomed as well.
Old 07-20-09, 12:19 PM

Re: Next Daredevil Graphic Novel to read?

After Miller's run, Ann Nocenti had a good, lengthy run. Unfortunately, it's not collected. Daredevil subsequently fell into the awful realm of the 1990s. Once that was over, Kevin Smith came in and did an arc called GUARDIAN DEVIL. That was OK, but suffered from awful art and a disappointing ending.

As far as I'm concerned, you'll want to jump right into Brian Michael Bendis' run, Volume 2 #16-19, 26-50, 56-81. Daredevil Omnibus Volume One by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev collects #16-19, 26-50, and 56-60. Volume Two will collect #61-81 and some extras.

After that, Ed Brubaker takes over the book with #82. He continues to #119, after which the book is renumbered with #500. That is his final issue. Andy Diggle will be replacing him with #501. Brubaker's run starts with Volume One, collecting #82-105. Volume Two is yet to be solicited, but should contain #106-119, 500, Annual #1 and the BLOOD OF THE TARANTULA special.

For Green Arrow, Mike Grell had an 80-issue run that was easily the best the character's ever been. Chuck Dixon had an alright run a while after that. Kevin Smith came back and resurrected Green Arrow with a new #1. He did 15 issues: #1-10 are collected in QUIVER, #11-15 are collected in THE SOUNDS OF VIOLENCE. The villain of the second volume later appears in a Kevin Smith Batman story, CACOPHONY. After Smith, Brad Meltzer did an arc, THE ARCHER'S QUEST. Fairly recently, Andy Diggle did a YEAR ONE mini-series.

Last edited by John_Shil; 07-20-09 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-20-09, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

basically, what John Shil said, but I would add that I liked Bendis' Daredevil run, at least the part covered in the first Omni...I haven't read the second one yet...but I really enjoyed the first...
Old 07-20-09, 07:11 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/Daredevil-Lege...8134959&sr=8-6

Nocenti/Romita Daredevil is highly, highly, highly, highly, highly underrated. I would rank it is the best run of Daredevil ever (yes, better than Miller, and yes, better than Brubaker, and yes, better than Bendis). Unfortuantely, as John Shil says, other than this arc, it is not collected.
Old 07-20-09, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
basically, what John Shil said, but I would add that I liked Bendis' Daredevil run, at least the part covered in the first Omni...I haven't read the second one yet...but I really enjoyed the first...
This really confused me at first, but I read back over my post and I worded the Bendis part really sloppily. I highly recommend his run, but I said "skip to," which is easily misread as just "skip." Off to fix that now.

I was not aware of that Typhoid Mary book. I'll have to get that.
Old 07-20-09, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Old 07-20-09, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John_Shil
This really confused me at first, but I read back over my post and I worded the Bendis part really sloppily. I highly recommend his run, but I said "skip to," which is easily misread as just "skip." Off to fix that now.

I was not aware of that Typhoid Mary book. I'll have to get that.

My bad, I might have misread it, I thought you said to skip the bendis run and go straight to the Brubaker run...
Old 07-21-09, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After that, Ed Brubaker takes over the book with #82. He continues to #119, after which the book is renumbered with #500. That is his final issue. Andy Diggle will be replacing him with #501.
Wow, I was unaware Brubaker was done with Daredevil. Loved his run on the book. Not that familiar with Diggle.
Old 07-21-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Hmm... I have the Bru Omnibus, but not the Bendis ones. Should I get the Bendis ones and read those first?
Old 07-22-09, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Wow, I was unaware Brubaker was done with Daredevil. Loved his run on the book. Not that familiar with Diggle.
Diggle did some work at DC & Vertigo - Green Arrow: Year One, Batman: Rules of Engagement, Adam Strange: Planet Heist, Swamp Thing: Bad Seed, and the creator-owned THE LOSERS (soon to be a major motion picture.) At Marvel, he's wrapping up his 11-issue run on THUNDERBOLTS, which has been absolutely fantastic. His first Daredevil work will be DARK REIGN: THE LIST - DAREDEVIL, a one-shot tying DD into the greater Dark Reign goings-on.

Originally Posted by fujishig
Hmm... I have the Bru Omnibus, but not the Bendis ones. Should I get the Bendis ones and read those first?
Definitely. Bendis ends his run with a bit of a sticky situation, leaving Brubaker to deal with it. Brubaker's doing the same thing to Diggle. Note, though, that the second Bendis omnibus won't be out until December, I believe.

Last edited by John_Shil; 07-22-09 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-01-09, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I loved JR.JR. on Daredevil, but I HATED Nocenti.

I second everyone's comments re: Bendis & Brubaker's runs.
Old 09-08-09, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

So I read Brubaker's Omni, then Bendis Omni #1... a bit out of order, but still really enjoyable, and as I'm also reading the recently recollected Alias, it fits right in.