Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question regarding Die Hard - Ultimate Collection (sans Live Free)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-09, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

I was looking around on-line and have seen copies of Die Hard - The Ultimate Collection pretty cheap, with this cover:

I'm a little confused though, it looks like it was re-released a couple times, and I can't find any concrete information regarding the content. Was it ever released with one-disc editions of the films, or were they always two-disc editions?
Old 07-20-09, 07:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Question regarding Die Hard - Ultimate Collection (sans Live Free)

Around the time of Live Free or Die Hard's release it was rereleased in slimcases minus the second discs, but had a fourth disc of special features not found on the previous release. Not every retailer carried the set with the fourth disc though. I own the collection you are considering and I can highly recommend it.
Old 07-20-09, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I sold mine once the new 4-movie Ultimate Collection came out. Exact same content for the first 3 movies, MUCH slimmer packaging.
Old 07-20-09, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get the new ultimate collection (Live Free Included, 8 Discs) for around 25. I beleive Sams Club has it around 20, I had LFODH and was going to buy the old ultimate but figured rebuying Live Free would be cheaper
Old 07-20-09, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I sold mine once the new 4-movie Ultimate Collection came out. Exact same content for the first 3 movies, MUCH slimmer packaging.
My 6 disc set is in a single 6 disc amaray. Cant get much thinner than that.
Old 07-20-09, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wd40cloud
Around the time of Live Free or Die Hard's release it was rereleased in slimcases minus the second discs, but had a fourth disc of special features not found on the previous release. Not every retailer carried the set with the fourth disc though. I own the collection you are considering and I can highly recommend it.
This is not the same collection as he pictured, and probably has a different UPC.

As far as I know, the one you pictured was only ever the double-disc special editions, in the gigantic double-thick silver cases with two opening covers and a center flap. There was also a slim set with the three single-disc DVDs. It had the same image but it was surrounded by a black border, and was available, for at least a time, only at Target.

As others have said, though, unless you own the fourth one by itself or, for some reason, can't stand it so much you absolutely and totally refuse to buy it, the eight-disc set with all four two-disc DVDs in slimline casing is probably the most space and cost-efficient way to go.
Old 07-20-09, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by wd40cloud
Wasn't it this lame one with trailers for the fourth movie?

Old 07-21-09, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
This is not the same collection as he pictured, and probably has a different UPC.

As far as I know, the one you pictured was only ever the double-disc special editions, in the gigantic double-thick silver cases with two opening covers and a center flap. There was also a slim set with the three single-disc DVDs. It had the same image but it was surrounded by a black border, and was available, for at least a time, only at Target.

As others have said, though, unless you own the fourth one by itself or, for some reason, can't stand it so much you absolutely and totally refuse to buy it, the eight-disc set with all four two-disc DVDs in slimline casing is probably the most space and cost-efficient way to go.
Actually, I can get the aforementioned Ultimate Collection and the two-disc Live Free used together for a total of $12, I don't think I'll be finding the four-movie set that cheap.
Old 07-21-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool
My 6 disc set is in a single 6 disc amaray. Cant get much thinner than that.
You can't buy it like that though, can you?
Old 07-22-09, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
You can't buy it like that though, can you?
Buy the 6 disc set, and an empty 6 disc amaray.
Old 07-22-09, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

If someone wants the original 6-disc set (thick cases), PM me. It's not worth my time or money in fees to list it on eBay.