Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

I think I bought a bootleg - need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-09, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I bought a bootleg - need help

I bought a "new and sealed" copy of WWF WrestleMania 2000 off of amazon.com, from one of the individual sellers. Even when I saw it in the bubble-wrap, it was immediately suspect. Here are a few factors:

1) there was only a security sticker on the side of the case, not the top. Not only does just about every brand new DVD have a security sticker on the top, but I'm fairly certain that every WWF/WWE DVD ever produced has had either three security stickers (top, side, bottom) or only one on the top (referring to newer WWE DVDs)

2) The DVD case is very unusual. It was not the kind of amaray or keep case you see in a store. It didn't split right down the middle. When I opened the DVD, I saw a very prominent logo that said "nexpak." I went online and saw that they're a DVD cases distributor, and you can order them online. I've been buying DVDs for ten years, and I've never seen the name of the DVD factory on the case.

Here is a link to a page that shows the DVD case: http://www.nexpak.com/product.asp?id=23

3) I once owned a used copy of WrestleMania 2000, and it was a regular 2-disc amaray. It looked like this: http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/6738/wm16c.jpg

4) Both discs have one minor scratch on each. The second disc has a gold bottom, almost resembling a maxell blank disc. I may be pushing here, but the first three factors lead me to wonder if this was ever the real deal.

Anyway, I'm pretty bothered by this, because I spent a lot of money to get a new copy, and the whole thing just reeks. The security sticker, the lack of real-looking security stickers, the strange case, the fact that I've never seen a DVD that looks like this. Anyway, enough rambling. Can anyone give any kind of insight into this DVD's authenticity, if any? Was it a used DVD, repackaged to appear new, a new DVD repackaged for the hell of it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.
Old 07-20-09, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I think I bought a bootleg - need help

I just looked at my used copy and it's practically the same as the pic in (3). At one time, I had an additional used copy and it was also for all intents and purposes, identical to the pic in (3).

As for (1), I'm pretty sure most of the releases at the time had the security stickers on top/bottom/side. And for (2), it was released in the Amaray in (3). (4), it's definitely not the color of a Maxell disc.

You got hosed. (But Amazon's usually pretty good with customer service in cases of fraud.)
Old 07-20-09, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Can you post pics of the discs?

Are the corners on the cover art rounded?
Old 07-20-09, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have no way of uploading pictures onto the computer, but yes, the cover art is rounded. They really do look like a store-bought discs.
Old 07-20-09, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

It is so tough to tell these days. I know that my copy of the set looks like the picture in 3. Just checked both discs, and they are both gold colored.
As for the case, I imagine that WWF has changed their case styles over the years. I seem to rmember seeing some discs from that era coming in in some real funky packaging.

Is there really that much of a call for these discs, that someone would go through the trouble of making bootleg copies?
Old 07-20-09, 10:51 AM

NexPak is a very legit case. They specialize in making cases in all different sizes and configurations.

The other factors may lead to it being a bootleg, but a studio using a NexPak is pretty normal.
Old 07-20-09, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by jjcool
Is there really that much of a call for these discs, that someone would go through the trouble of making bootleg copies?
It's relatively rare and OOP but I did not think there was much of a demand except for the most diehard wrestling DVD collectors.
Old 07-20-09, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe it's not a bootleg, per se, but all the factors at least lead me to believe that the DVD has been repackaged.
Old 07-20-09, 12:15 PM

find another person who has it and compare the dates the files were written.

Also...most bootleggers forget to use the same label as the original.....and by that I mean what you see when you load it up in your computer...and run dvd decrypter or on your "e:" drive.
Old 07-20-09, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeVing
find another person who has it and compare the dates the files were written.

Also...most bootleggers forget to use the same label as the original.....and by that I mean what you see when you load it up in your computer...and run dvd decrypter or on your "e:" drive.
Dates might not be the same depending on production runs and also if more than one place it producing them.

When DVD Decrypter, or other similar programs, are used, the label is copied over.
Old 07-20-09, 08:28 PM
Cool New Member

The last bootleg dvd I got I just wet my finger and rubbed the disc and the ink came off the label. I already knew it was a bootleg though. I have the wrestlemania 16 as well and looks like the pic you post in line 3 also. Some bootleggers forget to include the upc code as well.
Old 07-21-09, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
Maybe it's not a bootleg, per se, but all the factors at least lead me to believe that the DVD has been repackaged.
That was a thought that I had as well.
Old 07-21-09, 02:33 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a beef with a Amazon marketplace order recently where I thought I was getting a region 1 release but got an Australian region 4 edition instead - thank god I'm regionless but still, that was VERY tacky and misinformative.
Old 07-21-09, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
I had a beef with a Amazon marketplace order recently where I thought I was getting a region 1 release but got an Australian region 4 edition instead - thank god I'm regionless but still, that was VERY tacky and misinformative.
fyi and in case you were not aware, amazon marketplace has nothing to do with amazon itself. marketplace are individual sellers or businesses selling through amazon. that said, if you received a boot or something not as described, complain to the seller and/or for resolution
Old 07-22-09, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Update: the guy said that he was "embarrassed" by the mishap, and not only offered a full refund, but 35% of the price back and I could have kept the DVD. But I'm opting to return it and find the "real" copy.

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-22-09, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by hindolio
fyi and in case you were not aware, amazon marketplace has nothing to do with amazon itself. marketplace are individual sellers or businesses selling through amazon. that said, if you received a boot or something not as described, complain to the seller and/or for resolution
Amazon.com's pretty good at backing up the buyer though in cases like this.
Old 07-22-09, 12:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hindolio

oh I know that, it's just bad etiquette to be selling an item and nowhere indicate the dvd being sold is from another region.
Old 07-22-09, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I happened to buy a disc off Amazon, from a market place seller but fulfilled by Amazon. Turned out to be a non genuine disc. Amazon paid for retunr shipping, and gave me my money back with no questions asked. Of course, I think things may be a little tougher if it wasnt fulfilled by Amazon.
Old 07-22-09, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
I happened to buy a disc off Amazon, from a market place seller but fulfilled by Amazon. Turned out to be a non genuine disc. Amazon paid for retunr shipping, and gave me my money back with no questions asked. Of course, I think things may be a little tougher if it wasnt fulfilled by Amazon.
definitely more difficult if you try to return something not fulfilled or sold directly by amazon. however, as that derangedhermit stated, amazon is verrrrrry supportive of the buyer. much different than greedbay. thus, amazon marketplace sellers are much better imho as well
Old 07-24-09, 01:37 AM
Banned

I encountered a similar situation with a bootleg seller several years ago.

The gold colored DVD surface makes me think it was a bootleg because I have never seen a real DVD that was gold. Gold usually indicates a DVR.

Bootleggers are usually very keen on keeping the buyer happy at any cost because negative feedback can effectively shut them down or damage their business at the very least.

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
Update: the guy said that he was "embarrassed" by the mishap, and not only offered a full refund, but 35% of the price back and I could have kept the DVD. But I'm opting to return it and find the "real" copy.

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-24-09, 08:09 AM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

Originally Posted by wvtechs
Bootleggers are usually very keen on keeping the buyer happy at any cost because negative feedback can effectively shut them down or damage their business at the very least.
Interesting. Forgive me for being a "Devil's Advocate".

This is quite a contrast with some LEGITIMATE Dealers who couldn't give a Rats (Behind) about you after you purchase a defective DVD from them. If you go to a store, they'll put you through the third degree before you'll get a Replacement or a Refund. If you a call to complain, you'll have to endure a long wait (Often to the tune of a "Please stay on the Line, your call is VERY IMPORTANT to us" which is repeated every 30 seconds) and or have to navigate a MAZE of Automated (And often Long-Winded) Responses before getting to speak to someone. (And half the time that person will be someone from halfway around the World, who speaks with such a thick accent you can BARELY understand them!) Also you can expect to get cut off or be in a situation where you can hear them, but they cannot hear you! (Which means having to hang up and repeat the process!) Is it any wonder we are in the situation we are now?

Last edited by Regulus; 07-24-09 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-24-09, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wvtechs
The gold colored DVD surface makes me think it was a bootleg because I have never seen a real DVD that was gold. Gold usually indicates a DVR.
Not necessarily. My copy of the DVD in question, that was store bought when it first came out from a Sam goody store, has discs that are gold colored.
Old 07-24-09, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought mine the day it was released in Sam Goody as well and it has gold colored discs.

Bob

Last edited by JCWBobC; 07-24-09 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-24-09, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by JCWBobC
I bought mine the day it was released in Sam Goody as well and it has gold colored discs.

Bob
It's not as strong of a gold as the Maxell.
Old 07-25-09, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DerangedHermit
It's not as strong of a gold as the Maxell.
My copy of WrestleMania 2000 has discs that are very gold. I have yet to see a blank dvd, maxell, or otherwise that was gold-er.

Last edited by jjcool; 07-25-09 at 10:27 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.