Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Which Complete Series Set is worth getting?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 07-18-09, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am debating on a couples of issues with deciding to get the complete series of this shows or collect them by season. For those that have them, which do you have season sets or the complete series

Alias - The Complete Series or Season Sets?
Is it better to buy the series sets or season sets? Do you get anything you don't get by buying the season sets?

Angel - The Series or Season Sets?
Is it better to buy the series sets or season sets? Do you get anything you don't get by buying the season sets?

Brady Bunch - The Series or Season Sets?

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Chosen Collection or Season Sets

Charmed - The Complete Series (Limited Deluxe Edition) or Season Sets?
I already have the first 2 seasons in season sets. Is it better to buy the series sets or season sets? Do you get anything you don't get by buying the season sets?

Friends - The Complete Series or season sets?

Full House - The Complete Series or season sets?

O.C., The - The Complete Series or season sets?

I consider buying series sets if the display looks good, is aligned to where they won't stick out on my shelf and if the show offers anything extra than the season sets do?
Old 07-18-09, 12:44 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts
Re: Which Complete Series Set is worth getting?

The reviews and threads devoted to the specific complete sets on this very site will answer all those questions. Personal preference will play a big role obviously.
Old 07-18-09, 02:07 PM

I reccomend renting before you buy any thing. Especially when it comes to coplete sets. If you must, buy the first season of said show, and go from there.
Old 07-18-09, 02:28 PM
Banned

None of the above.
Old 07-18-09, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wvtechs
None of the above.
What? The Buffy & Angel sets are must-owns IMO although they have no extra content, but the boxes are very nice for both of them.

The Alias set comes with a Bonus disc that you can't get other wise, plus it has the most shelf friendly packaging & The OC set I believe, is the only way to get the first season in widescreen.

I've never seen any of the other shows you listed so I can't comment.
Old 07-18-09, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As far as Full House is concerned, the only difference between the individual seasons and the Complete Series, is that the Complete Series comes housed in a package that resembles the house the Tanner family lived in. The individual slip cases are held in the package. They do not have the outer package for each individual season. The bonus features are the same as those in the individual season releases. So, it's a matter of how much you would spend buying each season separately versus the Complete Series. I bought each season individually, for less than $17.00 a season, as they came out.
Old 07-18-09, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
What? The Buffy & Angel sets are must-owns IMO although they have no extra content, but the boxes are very nice for both of them.
The Buffy set does have an extra disc of extras. I haven't watched it in a while, but I remember it being pretty good.
Old 07-18-09, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't seen these shows, but these days you can get individual "Friends" seasons for extremely cheap (some are at Big Lots! stores for $6).
Old 07-19-09, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

When they are on sale, you can get The OC season sets for under $20 a piece, which would be cheaper than the $150+ for the complete series.

However, there are a few advantages to getting the complete series:
1) Season 1 is in Widescreen
2) The season 3 & 4 bonus discs that was initially only available at Target is included