Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Store Credit Card?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-09, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Hello

I wanted to know if anyone has it and if they like it , pros and cons but mainly the security part. I just had my AMEX number stolen for the second time this year. No idea where as I only buy online two or three places but use in a lot when we go out to eat.

I do shop Amazon mostly and not much anymore with E-bay has I did have my PayPal account hijacked. Never could get a clear answer as to how so no more PayPal. I printed out the list about the Amazon Store Card and it mentions "Zero Fraud Liability". Thoughts?

Kenny J
Old 07-18-09, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Amazon Store Credit Card?

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Hello
...I just had my AMEX number stolen for the second time this year. No idea where as I only buy online two or three places but use in a lot when we go out to eat...
that might just be it.

re the amazon card, imho it rocks. i buy enough from amazon to appreciate the gift certs here and there. and since the card is issued by chase, i have at least a bit of faith in the card itself
Old 07-18-09, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the Amazon VISA for awhile and no problems. Getting the occasional $25 GC is nice when I hit the point limit.
Old 07-18-09, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

I charge all of my regular purchases that I used to pay cash or debit for, and pay it off at the end of the month, and I get a $25 Amazon gift certificate almost every month, so its like free money.

Basically, every time you charge $2500 worth of stuff you're issued a $25 gift certificate, but you get triple points for using it at Amazon (1 dollar = 3 points at Amazon, 1 dollar = 1 point everywhere else)
Old 07-18-09, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So as to security or being compromised no issues? I mean AMEX has been great to work with with but if Amazon is offering their own it seems to me they would offer a bit more has to security, liablitiy and special offers. I'm trying to reduce using any other card for on-line buys. I do shop Newegg by the way and they've been great. In fact whoever got my number tried to make three purchases in one day, Newegg, Levano and ITunes but did not go thru due to wrong address. Thanks

Kenny J
Old 07-18-09, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,504 Posts

I don't think the Amazon card is any more or less secure than any other card coming from one of the bigger banks. Most if not all cards have zero fraud liability. The main draw is the triple points on amazon purchases, which is great if you buy on amazon a lot.

As an example, Chase just issued me a new card because they suspected that the old one was compromised. There were no non-legitimate charges on the card or anything, and they couldn't tell me why they thought it might be compromised (maybe I bought at a place that had cards stolen recently?). Which I don't really understand, since if I knew how it was compromised I could change my buying habits accordingly. Had there been fraudulent charges, they would have refunded, but I'd have needed to fill out paperwork. I suspect it's the same with most major ccs.
Old 07-19-09, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So far AMEX has been more than helpful and we don't have to jump thru several hoops when it comes to suspect charges. In fact w're set up with a notification viaz e-mail if something does pop up like it did last week. Someone tried to buy$300.00 worth of stuff off Newegg. Didn't go thru due to wrong address but AMEX flagged it and sent us a e-mail. We called and the card was cancelled right away and I got a new one in the mail three days later.

There's probably a good chance we'll go the Store Card route but we really don't care for more CC's. We only have two as in case AMEX is not taken at some places. But I shop on Amazon far more than going out local to the malls and stores. Better deals, prices, selection and that nasty 9.95% Tax we have.
Old 07-19-09, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
As an example, Chase just issued me a new card because they suspected that the old one was compromised. There were no non-legitimate charges on the card or anything, and they couldn't tell me why they thought it might be compromised (maybe I bought at a place that had cards stolen recently?). Which I don't really understand, since if I knew how it was compromised I could change my buying habits accordingly. Had there been fraudulent charges, they would have refunded, but I'd have needed to fill out paperwork. I suspect it's the same with most major ccs.
Dollars to donuts, it has to do with a breach of Heartland Payment Systems (or the like) and it has nothing to do with your buying habits. In May, my mother had a new Chase card issued to her with a letter that mentioned the card possibly being compromised. She doesn't shop online or use the card in restaurant. Within a few weeks, I read of the Heartland breach. Even if your (or my mom's) case doesn't involve Heartland, the security breaches happen a lot more than we are told.
Old 07-20-09, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSue
Dollars to donuts, it has to do with a breach of Heartland Payment Systems (or the like) and it has nothing to do with your buying habits. In May, my mother had a new Chase card issued to her with a letter that mentioned the card possibly being compromised. She doesn't shop online or use the card in restaurant. Within a few weeks, I read of the Heartland breach. Even if your (or my mom's) case doesn't involve Heartland, the security breaches happen a lot more than we are told.
I figured as much, seeing as how there was no actual fraudulent activity on my card. I still wish they would be more transparent about it, though.