DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Help a classic make it to the top 250

Blu Man
07-17-09, 12:09 PM
How many people on this site have seen the ground breaking classic, Jurassic Park? I'm asumeing most, if not all have. Well it isn't on the top 250 list over at IMDB. Right now it only has a 7.8/10 rating. I'm trying to get it at least a 8.1, so it can finally make it to the list that it so deserves. If you like this film, and think that it deserves a spot in the top 250 list, please give is a rating of 10. I think it's almost criminal that Jurassic Park isn't considered "good enough" to sit with films like, Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, Jaws, The Sixth Sense, Kill Bill, and even Indiana Jones and the last Crusade. If you like Jurassic Park more then any of those films and all the others on the list, give it a 10 so it can sit were it deserves.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107290/

That is the link to it's IMDB page, if you are a member, it is easy to vote just click on the 10th star. If you not a member, it is quick and easy to sign up. Thank you for helping such a great movie make the list.

wendersfan
07-17-09, 12:22 PM
You've got to be kidding me. There's no way in good conscience I could ever give that POS movie 10/10, even for a stupid internet ranking.

jmu878
07-17-09, 12:23 PM
meh...i gave it a 7 initially. i think that's about right still.

Mountain Biker
07-17-09, 12:26 PM
I was never a big fan of the JP movies. I'd give the first a 4.5 at best.

Hokeyboy
07-17-09, 12:28 PM
How many people on this site have seen the ground breaking classic, Jurassic Park? I'm asumeing most, if not all have. Well it isn't on the top 250 list over at IMDB. Right now it only has a 7.8/10 rating. I'm trying to get it at least a 8.1, so it can finally make it to the list that it so deserves. If you like this film, and think that it deserves a spot in the top 250 list, please give is a rating of 10. I think it's almost criminal that Jurassic Park isn't considered "good enough" to sit with films like, Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, Jaws, The Sixth Sense, Kill Bill, and even Indiana Jones and the last Crusade. If you like Jurassic Park more then any of those films and all the others on the list, give it a 10 so it can sit were it deserves.

That is the link to it's IMDB page, if you are a member, it is easy to vote just click on the 10th star. If you not a member, it is quick and easy to sign up. Thank you for helping such a great movie make the list.

Why the hell do you actually give a shit about IMDB ratings? They are absolutely meaningless. The fact that you're begging people to phreak the score is proof positive of this.

Besides, "Jurassic Park" is an OK movie at best, groundbreaking special effects for its time, sure, but little else.

Groucho
07-17-09, 12:31 PM
Did a member of the cast die between filming and release? If not, no 10/10 for me!

Arthur Dent
07-17-09, 12:32 PM

Shit like this is annoying. I wish people who rated movies on IMDb actually rated movies; instead, you get a bunch of bullshit 10s and 1s. You might actually believe Jurassic Park deserves a 10 (it doesn't), but I'm sure as hell not giving it one-- even if I wanted it on the top 250 (I don't).

This kind of stuff reinforces the notion that IMDb's rankings and ratings are useless (they are). I suppose since they're already worthless, I shouldn't even care! :)

Cardsfan111
07-17-09, 12:40 PM
I've never rated a movie at imdb.com, but I'm more tempted to give JP a low rating because of this thread than I am in giving it a 10.

pjflyer
07-17-09, 12:43 PM
I'm giving it a 1 to offset a bogus 10. My honest rating would be about a 5.

Deftones
07-17-09, 12:45 PM
I liked the movie, but no way is this a "classic" in terms of cinema. I, too, am tempted to give it a 1 just so that it doesn't achieve the OP's goal.

d2cheer
07-17-09, 12:47 PM
Shit like this is annoying. I wish people who rated movies on IMDb actually rated movies; instead, you get a bunch of bullshit 10s and 1s. You might actually believe Jurassic Park deserves a 10 (it doesn't), but I'm sure as hell not giving it one-- even if I wanted it on the top 250 (I don't).

This kind of stuff reinforces the notion that IMDb's rankings and ratings are useless (they are). I suppose since they're already worthless, I shouldn't even care! :)

:thumbsup:

Deftones
07-17-09, 12:53 PM
you know, if this thread was about a classic like Happy Gilmore, I might be more inclined to change my mind.

superdeluxe
07-17-09, 12:56 PM

No, while I think it might belong in the top 250, I'm not going to inflate its score at a 10, when I think it is maybe a 8/10 at best.

Groucho
07-17-09, 12:56 PM
I'm giving it a 1 to offset a bogus 10. My honest rating would be about a 5.My honest rating would be also be a 5, so I've given it a 10 to offset your bogus 1.

thematahara
07-17-09, 01:01 PM
I just went to all of our computers in the office and gave this movie a 1.

Jaymole
07-17-09, 01:05 PM
I advise you not to worry too much about IMDB's ratings as they can't be taken seriously, just like most of the posts on their Message Boards.

Solid Snake
07-17-09, 01:15 PM
Seriously Blu Man....remember TDK? Where is it on that list anyway?

I like JP a lot. It's a fun film and what not. It made Dinosaurs real....but...it's not T2 and it's not Schindler's List.

project86
07-17-09, 01:26 PM
Brazil deserves a high spot on the list but it's gotten kicked off.

jjcool
07-17-09, 01:31 PM
No way in hell does this deserve to be on the top 250 list.
Maybe if it was a Top Dinosaur Movies list.

fumanstan
07-17-09, 01:38 PM
Seriously Blu Man....remember TDK? Where is it on that list anyway?

Only 7th :down:

Gizmo
07-17-09, 01:41 PM
I just went to all of our computers in the office and gave this movie a 1.

Same.

Arthur Dent
07-17-09, 01:57 PM
I gave the movie a 4, which is what it deserves in my not-so-humble opinion. Slightly below average film. Entertaining to a degree, but not good.

wendersfan
07-17-09, 01:58 PM
I just looked, and it seems I gave it a '2' lo those many years ago. I see no reason to change that.

Solid Snake
07-17-09, 02:03 PM
No way in hell does this deserve to be on the top 250 list.

:thumbsup:

Mountain Biker
07-17-09, 02:16 PM
The rating could see a drop thanks to this thread - nice going Blu Man! :lol:

I'll stop by IMDB later on to score it a 3 or so.

OldBoy
07-17-09, 02:21 PM
ummm...no.

Numanoid
07-17-09, 02:35 PM
I have nothing to offer but :lol:

Solid Snake
07-17-09, 02:38 PM
Blu Man...think before you speak, bro. This site will now destroy the film you love...why? Cuz you fed it something.

Jaymole
07-17-09, 02:40 PM
OP, if it makes you feel any better, 1,501 people gave Jurassic Park a 1 rating on IMDB while 23,088 gave The Godfather a 1 rating.

Blu Man
07-17-09, 03:14 PM
You honestly think that Indiana Jones and the last Crusade, Up, The Prestige, Terminator, Sin City, Return of the Jedi, The Sixth Sense, Kill Bill, The Born Ultimatium, Groundhog Day, V for Vendetta, Toy Story, Ed Wood, and Big Fish are all better films then Jurassic Park? Never would have thought that. Whatever, you guy's opinion. Don't vote if you don't feel as though it deserves it. Just a list.

Deftones
07-17-09, 03:18 PM
You honestly think that Indiana Jones and the last Crusade, Up, The Prestige, Terminator, Sin City, Return of the Jedi, The Sixth Sense, Kill Bill, The Born Ultimatium, Groundhog Day, V for Vendetta, Toy Story, Ed Wood, and Big Fish are all better films then Jurassic Park? Never would have thought that. Whatever, you guy's opinion. Don't vote if you don't feel as though it deserves it. Just a list.

Yes, haven't seen it, no, yes, yes, yes, no, no, yes, yes, no, yes, haven't seen it, haven't seen it.

Ash Ketchum
07-17-09, 03:21 PM
You honestly think that Indiana Jones and the last Crusade, Up, Terminator, Sin City, The Sixth Sense, Kill Bill, The Bourne Ultimatium, Groundhog Day, and Ed Wood are all better films then Jurassic Park?

Yes. (I took off your list RETURN OF THE JEDI, an even bigger turd than JP, and the ones I haven't seen, e.g. THE PRESTIGE, et al, although I'm sure they're all a thousand times better than JURASSIC PARK.)

thematahara
07-17-09, 03:23 PM
You honestly think that Indiana Jones and the last Crusade HELL YES, Up HELL YES, The Prestige YES, Terminator HELL YES, Sin City YES, Return of the Jedi YES, The Sixth Sense YES, Kill Bill HELL YES, The Born Ultimatium HELL YES, Groundhog Day HELL YES, V for Vendetta YES, Toy Story YES, Ed Wood HELL YES, and Big Fish YES are all better films then Jurassic Park? Never would have thought that. Whatever, you guy's opinion. Don't vote if you don't feel as though it deserves it. Just a list.

....and I actually enjoy Jurassic Park. Jurassic Park is very fun, but over the years the amazement of the visual effects have passed, and you are left with a fun film. Nothing more, nothing less.

Dan
07-17-09, 03:24 PM
When we're all on imdb.com giving JP a rating of 1...

We head on over to the I Know Who Killed Me page, and give it a 10? You'll know you had a hand in--

oh who am I kidding.

Hokeyboy
07-17-09, 03:32 PM
We head on over to the I Know Who Killed Me page, and give it a 10? You'll know you had a hand in--
... your pants? Someone else pants??

http://www.best-horror-movies.com/image-files/i-know-who-killed-me-lohan-stripper.jpg

Arthur Dent
07-17-09, 03:43 PM
Yes to all except Bourne, Ed Wood, and Big Fish-- haven't seen them.

Numanoid
07-17-09, 03:57 PM
You honestly think that Indiana Jones and the last Crusade, Up, The Prestige, Terminator, Sin City, Return of the Jedi, The Sixth Sense, Kill Bill, The Born Ultimatium, Groundhog Day, V for Vendetta, Toy Story, Ed Wood, and Big Fish are all better films then Jurassic Park? Never would have thought that. Whatever, you guy's opinion. Don't vote if you don't feel as though it deserves it. Just a list.But you see, my passionate young friend, the ratings there are not based on the question "Do you think this film is better than ____" or "Should this film be in the top 250"? No, the ratings are a 1 to 10 scale on what you thought about THAT film...ALONE.

What you're trying to do is undo other people's honest appraisal of a film to suit your own viewpoint.

starman9000
07-17-09, 04:32 PM
The OP might be an evil genius trying to lower JP's score, knowing full well the backlash a thread like this might cause. I'm not sure which way to vote.

superdeluxe
07-17-09, 05:14 PM
OP, if it makes you feel any better, 1,501 people gave Jurassic Park a 1 rating on IMDB while 23,088 gave The Godfather a 1 rating.

16K gave lotr a 1.

starman9000
07-17-09, 05:16 PM
16K gave lotr a 1.

A lot of them may be here. Those movies usually pop up in the "Worst Evar!!" type threads.

superdeluxe
07-17-09, 05:18 PM
What you're trying to do is undo other people's honest appraisal of a film to suit your own viewpoint.

I doubt the 30k that voted a 1 for the godfather was really a honest appraisal.

I am sure it was more of the 'I am a fanboy of _____, so I am going to lower down _____' etc line of thinking.

Cardsfan111
07-17-09, 05:21 PM
And now we move on to DVD Talk's newest goal. Vote Jurassic Park out of the 90's Movie Tournament. :lol:

superdeluxe
07-17-09, 05:28 PM
And now we move on to DVD Talk's newest goal. Vote Jurassic Park out of the 90's Movie Tournament. :lol:

I totally did not even think about that lol.

islandclaws
07-17-09, 05:40 PM
What do I give a shit about IMDb votes? I'll vote it a 10 if it means we can get Crash (2004) off of the list.

NoirFan
07-17-09, 05:50 PM
Napoleon (1927) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018192/) has a rating of 7.9, and needs an 8.0 for inclusion in the top 250. Why don't you vote for that instead, at least then something positive will come of this ridiculous thread.

Neil M.
07-17-09, 05:54 PM
What do I give a shit about IMDb votes? I'll vote it a 10 if it means we can get Crash (2004) off of the list.

This should be the real focus of the thread. We need to eliminate certain movies from the top 250. Crash would be an excellent starting point.

Rockmjd23
07-17-09, 05:57 PM
There's no way in good conscience I could ever give that POS movie 10/10, even for a stupid internet ranking.
I think that statement is even more outrageous than the OP's :lol:

starman9000
07-17-09, 08:37 PM
Napoleon (1927) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018192/) has a rating of 7.9, and needs an 8.0 for inclusion in the top 250. Why don't you vote for that instead, at least then something positive will come of this ridiculous thread.

@#(*&$%That I'm gonna give that a 1 now too!!!

;)

Drexl
07-17-09, 09:03 PM
For the Top 250, only regular voters are counted. They do not reveal what they consider "regular" though.

CloverClover
07-17-09, 09:33 PM
80 % don't believe JP deserves to be on the top 250? I wouldn't complain if it was on the top 100. It is iconic, even better than Jaws IMO because it goes deeper into the imagination. it still has the most believeable CGI ever used... fun characters, science, and incredible atmosphere. It is a real classic, remember the scene where the T-Rex is stomping in the distance and the water shakes, tell me that isnt' classic, Spielberg was in monster movie territory and used a trick worthy of hitchcock. don't know why JP is so underrated here

arminius
07-17-09, 10:25 PM
Not one dinosenor was shot in this movie. I give it a -3.

emachine
07-17-09, 10:26 PM
I gave JP 7/10. I certainly don't think it sucks, but it's not top 250 material. Then again, why would anybody care about a list that has the fucking Dark Knight ranked in the top ten?

emachine
07-17-09, 10:31 PM

Way better than JP:
The Terminator
Ed Wood
Groundhog Day
The Sixth Sense

Better than JP:
Toy Story
Return of the Jedi

About the same:
Big Fish
Indiana Jones and the last Crusade
Up

Worse: (these movies are utter shit, imo)
The Prestige
V for Vendetta
Kill Bill

Ns the bourne films, and dont care to either.

Daytripper
07-17-09, 10:36 PM
You just have to laugh at the IMDB Top 250. I mean Christ almighty, "Gran Torino" is at #78! And below it are lesser titles such as: "2001", "Back to the Future", "Full Metal Jacket", "The Sting", "Braveheart", "Jaws", "Blade Runner", "The Wizard of Oz" (!), "Gone with the Wind" (!!!)....well, you get the idea.

emachine
07-17-09, 10:41 PM
You just have to laugh at the IMDB Top 250. I mean Christ almighty, "Gran Torino" is at #78! And below it are lesser titles such as: "2001", "Back to the Future", "Full Metal Jacket", "The Sting", "Braveheart", "Jaws", "Blade Runner", "The Wizard of Oz" (!), "Gone with the Wind" (!!!)....well, you get the idea.

Gotta agree there. I actually rated Gran Torino a 1/10. I really dislike Eastwood as a director.

Daytripper
07-17-09, 10:46 PM
Gotta agree there. I actually rated Gran Torino a 1/10. I really dislike Eastwood as a director.

Well, I don't. Even though I hated "Gran Torino", and would give it a 2/10. Eastwood is a pretty damn good director. I've seen everything he's done actually (both in front of the camera and behind). And it *kills* me that "Unforgiven" is currently at #112 on that damn list, and "Million Dollar Baby" is #148. Not to mention "A Perfect World" is no where to be found.

The Antipodean
07-17-09, 11:43 PM
The IMDB is about as valid as every other Internet poll out there, which is to say, not very much.

Dr Mabuse
07-18-09, 08:11 AM
You've got to be kidding me. There's no way in good conscience I could ever give that POS movie 10/10, even for a stupid internet ranking.

Nice.

The thread was summed up in the second post.

Great thread. :lol: Reminds me why I like this forum so much.

Jurassic Park was the suckiest pile of suck that ever sucked.

Trevor
07-18-09, 08:48 AM
Top 1000 American silly movies, maybe.

Top 250 "films" of all time, no where close.

The Bus
07-18-09, 09:40 AM

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. yes. yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, maybe.

I'm not logged into IMDB in this computer and I forget my login info but when I get back home I'm giving JP the 4, 5, or 6 it deserves.

The Bus
07-18-09, 09:42 AM
It is iconic, even better than Jaws IMO because it goes deeper into the imagination.

This post blowed my mind.

Blu Man
07-18-09, 12:50 PM
Jurassic Park was the suckiest pile of suck that ever sucked.

Are you high? Jurassic Park is one of the greatest monster and special effects films ever made. It definetly deserves the top 250 and even top 100. Do you think you make a better film then Jurassic Park? Most of the movies on the top 250 list are shit compared to Jurassic Park. The Dark Knight is good and all but it's not a good as Jurassic Park and yet it has 7th place. The list is bullshit.

Hokeyboy
07-18-09, 01:46 PM
Are you high? Jurassic Park is one of the greatest monster and special effects films ever made. It definetly deserves the top 250 and even top 100. Do you think you make a better film then Jurassic Park? Most of the movies on the top 250 list are shit compared to Jurassic Park. The Dark Knight is good and all but it's not a good as Jurassic Park and yet it has 7th place. The list is bullshit.

The bolded section is the only part of your rant that was absolutely correct, sir.

OldBoy
07-18-09, 02:14 PM

ALL those movies you mentioned for the most part have story, dimension, characters you love. JP has big damn dirty lizards that look very very pretty and nothing more. move on man!

superdeluxe
07-18-09, 03:06 PM

I think its time to admit that this will not get into the top 250 and move on. All you are doing is ensuring that it will never get into the top 250, as people vote it down just to spite you

beavis69
07-18-09, 03:14 PM
Im actually suprised at all the hate. Even more suprised that so much praise is given to the Terminator films as they are essentially the same type of movie, eye pleasing with a semi thought out story. Neither are top 250 material but both have had a hand in the world of filmaking by there use of CGI. I dont really see that as a good thing but it did change the face of movies.

Supermallet
07-18-09, 04:29 PM
you know, if this thread was about a classic like Happy Gilmore, I might be more inclined to change my mind.

I'm sorry. Am I correct in understanding that Happy Gilmore is NOT in the IMDB top 250?

How could such an egregious error occur on the internet, of all places?!

Ash Ketchum
07-18-09, 07:45 PM
I think its time to admit that this will not get into the top 250 and move on. All you are doing is ensuring that it will never get into the top 250, as people vote it down just to spite you

Right. I've already gone and voted it a 1. In fact, I'm now going to do that to every stupid movie from the last 20 years that made it into the top 250. Take that, SHAWSHANK, FORREST GUMP, STAR WARS this, LORD OF THE RINGS that, Harry Potter this, Star Trek that, AMERICAN BEAUTY, TITANIC and every superhero movie made after 1978! (What am I forgetting? Is anything by Paul Thomas Anderson or Wes Anderson in the top 250? Or the Coen brothers, the Weitz brothers, the Hughes brothers, the Wachowski brothers or the Smith Brothers? Well I like their cough drops, so I'll leave the last one alone.) :D2:

Solid Snake
07-18-09, 08:40 PM
JP, is great entertainment. Is it deep? No. Is it fun? Yeah. Is it a masterpiece when you're a kid? Oh hell yeah...this movie rocked my pants when I was 6. I'm entertained by it...but it's average for the Spielberg films.

TimeandTide
07-18-09, 09:19 PM

And on that list JP would only rate #2, slightly behind A Land Before Time.

Because A Land Before Time made me cry like an f'ing baby.

emachine
07-19-09, 01:40 AM
Im actually suprised at all the hate. Even more suprised that so much praise is given to the Terminator films as they are essentially the same type of movie, eye pleasing with a semi thought out story. Neither are top 250 material but both have had a hand in the world of filmaking by there use of CGI. I dont really see that as a good thing but it did change the face of movies.

The first Terminator film is nothing like it's sequels or Jurassic Park.

GoldenJCJ
07-19-09, 12:49 PM
I love Jurassic Park, it's one of those great nostalgic movies that I can watch over and over again.

That being said, I'd never vote it 10/10 on imdb. As much as I can praise the film I can also pick apart logic, filming mistakes, poor editing, bad acting, plot holes, etc.

I've never rated a film at imdb, and frankly, aside from hearing people bitch and moan about ________ film being rated at ____, I wouldn't even know imdb had a ratings section.

As far as I'm concerned, imdb is great to find out which actors/directors/writers etc, worked on which film. outside of that it's pretty useless.

Cardsfan111
07-19-09, 12:53 PM
Right now it only has a 7.8/10 rating.

Apparently all this campaigning has really helped the cause. Now it sits at:

7.8 :nopanic:

jjcool
07-19-09, 02:46 PM

Yes. Every single one of those movies was better than Jurassic Park. I can probably come up with about 250 movies that are better than JP, if you really want a list.

jjcool
07-19-09, 02:49 PM
16K gave lotr a 1.

What is "lotr"?

Dean Kousoulas
07-19-09, 03:29 PM
Lord Of The Rings.

lamphorn
07-19-09, 05:04 PM
I knew that list was bullshit the minute I saw "The Dark Knight" as #7 movie of all time. I wouldn't place it anywhere in the top 100.

fumanstan
07-19-09, 05:31 PM
I knew that list was bullshit the minute I saw "The Dark Knight" as #7 movie of all time. I wouldn't place it anywhere in the top 100.

There are plenty of people who wouldn't agree with other movies in the Top 10 or 100, which makes pretty much any Top list bullshit to someone out there.

People put way too much stock in the IMDB ranking, without really realizing that highly ranked movies doesn't mean it's the "best movie of all time!!!" There are plenty of movies that I would rank 10/10 but that doesn't mean I equate them with the Godfather, it just means I really freakin enjoyed it. For the most part, that's all IMDB's ranking is.

Supermallet
07-19-09, 06:09 PM

Groucho, you know you're not allowed to have multiple accounts.

jjcool
07-20-09, 12:01 PM
Lord Of The Rings.

Ahh. Forgot about that cartoon.