DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Favorite Pixar Film

Blu Man
07-16-09, 09:30 PM
Which Pixar movie do you think is the best? Everything Pixar has done is great, but you have to have a favorite. Go ahead and post your favorite short also, if you have one.

It's a tough decision for me between Up and Ratatouille.

MrSmearkase
07-16-09, 09:33 PM
This thread needs a poll ;)

I'll go with The Incredibles, but you're right, everything they've done has been great.

EDIT: Maybe not Cars...

TomOpus
07-16-09, 09:40 PM
Yeah, we don't talk about best/fav Pixar movies much around here. We need a sub-forum :D

Best Pixar Movie *Updated* (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/537551-best-pixar-movie-updated.html)

Best Pixar Movie (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/530418-best-pixar-movie.html)

Favorite Pixar Movie (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/504177-favorite-pixar-movie.html)

Rank the Pixar movies/Which is your favorite (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/414839-rank-pixar-movies-your-favorite-poll.html)

Best pixar/disney cgi movie? (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/295969-best-pixar-disney-cgi-movie.html)

Blu Man
07-16-09, 10:13 PM
Yeah, we don't talk about best/fav Pixar movies much around here. We need a sub-forum :D

Best Pixar Movie *Updated* (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/537551-best-pixar-movie-updated.html)

Best Pixar Movie (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/530418-best-pixar-movie.html)

Favorite Pixar Movie (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/504177-favorite-pixar-movie.html)

Rank the Pixar movies/Which is your favorite (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/414839-rank-pixar-movies-your-favorite-poll.html)

Best pixar/disney cgi movie? (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/295969-best-pixar-disney-cgi-movie.html)

I even did a search. Looked through the first few pages, all that came up was stuff about Up. This site has a shit search engine.

AnonomusBob15
07-16-09, 10:53 PM
Advanced search for titles only. It's easier.

Toy Story 2 and The Incredibles

chris_sc77
07-16-09, 11:11 PM
The Incredibles is the only one I can really tolerate. I either dont care for or have no desire to see the others.

Mr. Salty
07-17-09, 03:29 AM
I either dont care for or have no desire to see the others.
You've made that clear numerous times, so why do you keep coming into Pixar threads and crapping in them?

porieux
07-17-09, 03:43 AM
A Bug's Life for me. IMO the writing, pacing, character development and overall storyline are really well done.

Funny that The Incredibles is leading because I'd probably rank that near the bottom personally, though I'd probably put Wall-E on the very bottom; I did not like that one at all. The Incredibles was ok but too 'kid-oriented' for me, whereas IMHO A Bug's Life works well on multiple levels. Haven't seen Up yet.

jeffkjoe
07-17-09, 03:45 AM
Just re-watched THE INCREDIBLES last night.

Man, that's a great film.

RichC2
07-17-09, 08:43 AM
A Bug's Life for me. IMO the writing, pacing, character development and overall storyline are really well done.

Funny that The Incredibles is leading because I'd probably rank that near the bottom personally, though I'd probably put Wall-E on the very bottom; I did not like that one at all. The Incredibles was ok but too 'kid-oriented' for me, whereas IMHO A Bug's Life works well on multiple levels. Haven't seen Up yet.

Thematically I think The Incredibles is one of the more mature Pixar flicks. But it's also my favorite of their movies and I'd find ways to defend it even if they weren't there. Agree about Wall-E though, didn't care for that one at all.

dhmac
07-17-09, 09:08 AM

Well, it could be argued that with Up out, those old polls are now out-of-date.

Drop
07-17-09, 09:10 AM
Thematically I think The Incredibles is one of the more mature Pixar flicks.

It's no coincidence many feel the same way about Ratatouille, they both are Brad Bird films. Bird always gives his characters interesting moral choices that could work in an adult live action film. His influence on Pixar as been very strong.

dhmac
07-17-09, 09:14 AM

Wow, my view is almost the complete opposite. I rank A Bug's Life near the bottom because I think it's too kid-oriented (specifically, far too many scenes of Dot and her little friends) - a lot more than any other Pixar film.

(Well, that and having to listen to Phyllis Diller's voice, which is like fingernails-on-a-chalkboard for me)

woody5254
07-17-09, 10:26 AM
Finding Nemo is my favorite with The Incredibles a close second. I really like most of the movies on the list though. Haven't seen Up yet, but I am looking forward to it.

Hokeyboy
07-17-09, 11:29 AM
I absolutely love A BUG'S LIFE. It gets slagged on quite a bit; I have no idea why. The characters, the dialogue, the quick "blink and you'll miss em" throwaway lines, physical comedy, and story with a lot of heart, it ranks up there with the best of them. I don't think I've ever laughed as hard as when Tuck and Roll scream out "Ruben Kincaid!!"... for absolutely no reason. Ahhh yes.

Favorite? Toy Story and Toy Story 2 are both perfect movies. Monsters Inc. is sweet, funny, and imaginative -- Boo is one of their greatest characters ever -- but it's not quite 100%. Nemo is spectacular and near-perfect. INCREDIBLES is absolutely perfect from start to finish. Cars is hilarious and sweet, maybe not a timeless piece of perfection and features Pixar's only cringe-inducing moment in their entire filmography (you know the one, it'd fit right in in a Dreamworks animated film), RATATOUILLE is just a great piece of art, WALL-E a visionary and bravura work of storytelling that falters a bit in its second act, and UP! a sweet, oddball, lovely little film.

The problem is that, most of them are so different from each other. If I had to choose, I'd go with THE INCREDIBLES. But it aint easy, man.

My overrall rankings:

1. The Incredibles
2. Toy Story
3. A Bug's Life
4. Toy Story 2
5. Finding Nemo
6. Ratatouille
7. Up
8. Wall-E
9. Monsters Inc
10. Cars

emachine
07-17-09, 10:34 PM
The Incredibles, followed closely by Toy Story 1.

Michael Corvin
07-18-09, 12:40 AM

Put me down for whatever I said in each of those threads.

Arthur Dent
07-18-09, 01:13 AM
I'd go with Ratatouille. I've enjoyed them all with the exception of Finding Nemo. Didn't like it one bit.

johnbook
07-18-09, 01:16 AM
[QUOTE=dhmac;9575687]Wow, my view is almost the complete opposite. I rank A Bug's Life near the bottom because I think it's too kid-oriented (specifically, far too many scenes of Dot and her little friends) - a lot more than any other Pixar film.

I would have to second that thought along with Cars just didn't really care for those two, i voted Toy Story 2, i'm a big Wayne Knight fan since his Seinfeld days, oh and the rest of the films are excellent.

Arthur Dent
07-18-09, 01:31 AM
For many years, I thought A Bug's Life sucked (even more than Finding Nemo); then, I purchased the Blu-ray (I collect all the Pixar films) and gave it another shot. I was wrong. Solid film.

Kal-El
07-18-09, 02:59 AM
Toy Story 2 for me. Although Up! is a very close second. Pixar already has one strike for me though - Crapatouille.

Blu Man
07-18-09, 12:56 PM
Toy Story 2 for me. Although Up! is a very close second. Pixar already has one strike for me though - Crapatouille.

Seriously? That is one of my favorites. But I wasn't a huge fan of The Incredibles, A Bugs Life, Monsters, Inc., and Finding Nemo.

Arpeggi
07-18-09, 01:37 PM
1. Up
2. Wall-E
3. The Incredibles
4. Monsters Inc
5. Ratatouiile
6. Finding Nemo
7. Toy Story 2
8. A Bug's Life
9. Toy Story
10. Cars

RobCA
07-18-09, 04:25 PM
My favorite is definitely Monsters, Inc. But I haven't seen any of them since The Incredibles, which I thought was just okay.

Rob

Quack
07-18-09, 05:22 PM
Wow, I can't believe how much love The Incredibles gets....I thought it was alright....I would definitely put TS2, Finding Nemo, and WALL-E easily above those. I even love Cars, where as a lot of people don't feel the same way but that's just me I guess.

RyoHazuki
07-18-09, 05:36 PM
1. Toy Story
2. Ratatouille
3. Monsters Inc.
4. Toy Story 2
5. Incredibles
6. Bug's Life
7. Up
8. Wall-E
9. Cars
10. Finding Nemo

Arthur Dent
07-18-09, 05:44 PM
1. Ratatouille
2. Toy Story
3. The Incredibles
4. Toy Story 2
5. WALL-E
6. A Bug's Life
7. Up
8. Monsters, Inc.
9. Cars
10. Finding Nemo

Iron_Giant
07-18-09, 06:07 PM
I voted for TS2 as number one, but it was very hard not to vote for The Incredibles.

TS2 really put the WOW in me a long time ago and my heart has never let it go.

Lateralus
07-18-09, 07:50 PM
I voted Toy Story 2 but I have not seen UP yet.

DieselsDen
07-18-09, 08:46 PM
UP for sure. Pixar's finest so far.

CARS bored me to tears. So predictable, and I disliked that Mater and McQueen character.

However, the worst Pixar film beats crap like ICE AGE, or SHREK, or anything else which depends greatly on hip pop culture references.

Quake1028
07-18-09, 09:12 PM
I haven't seen Cars, Rat, or Wall-E yet, but out of the ones I have seen, probably Monsters, Inc., with The Incredibles being second.

Michael Corvin
07-19-09, 09:07 AM
UP for sure. Pixar's finest so far.

The talking dogs keep it from being a masterpiece. Also keeps it from being near the top of my list. The first two thirds of the movie is incredible though.

GradVT06
07-19-09, 12:46 PM
I'm one of the very few that actually liked Cars. Probably my favorite. I found liking it so much very odd given the fact that I hate nascar and auto racing and don't like larry the cable guy.

Frenzy
07-19-09, 01:09 PM
I voted for Incredibles. Followed by both Toy Story movies, Monsters Inc. and Ratatouille. Didn't see UP yet. But it looks very promising.

The biggest disappointment was Wall-E. Obnoxious characters and boring storytelling. And that was the only Pixar movie I watched in a theatre.

writer106
07-19-09, 02:30 PM
Monster's Inc.

Dean Kousoulas
07-19-09, 03:31 PM
I'm a sucker for Toy Story & Toy Story 2.

johnbook
07-19-09, 11:08 PM
Others are doin it so i'm in..

1. Toy Story 2 -Loved It
2. Ratatouille - Loved It
3. The Incredibles - Loved It
4. Finding Nemo - Loved It
5. Toy Story - Loved It
6. Monsters Inc. - Loved It
7. Wall-E - Loved It
8. A Bug's Life - Liked It
9. Cars - Liked It

10. UP - Haven't seen it yet, but by all the great comments i'm sure i'll love it.

Supermallet
07-20-09, 03:20 PM
I'd say my favorite is a tie between Wall-E and Ratatouille. Both really interesting and unique films. If I had to rank them, it would go like this:

1/2. Wall-E and Ratatouille tie
3. Monster's Inc.
4. Finding Nemo
5. Toy Story
6. Toy Story 2
7. Cars
8. A Bug's Life
9. The Incredibles
10. Up

Mabuse
07-20-09, 05:35 PM
Cars is hilarious and sweet, maybe not a timeless piece of perfection and features Pixar's only cringe-inducing moment in their entire filmography (you know the one, it'd fit right in in a Dreamworks animated film),
What is it?

The "He did what in a cup?" line. That was very well timed.

calhoun07
07-20-09, 07:40 PM
I am going to go with the "tie" for top spot as well. Stand alone, Up wins number one. For the movie alone AND for sequel, Toy Story 2 also wins top spot for me as well... so...

1/2. Toy Story 2/Up
3. Ratatouille
4. Incredibles
5. Toy Story
6. Finding Nemo
7. A Bug's Life
8. Monster's Inc.
9. Cars
10. Wall-E

I feel the higher up the movie ranks for me and the lower the movies rank for me center around main thing: the ability for the director/creators to get me to feel for the characters. Toy Story 2 really hooked me with the loneliness and heartbreak of Jesse (the song sung for her character has to be the saddest freaking song in movie history) and I was hooked on Up after the montage that everybody is talking about. It made me feel for the characters and actually care what happened to them.

So the more the movies get me to care about the characters, the higher it's likely to rank on my list. That, and story telling and direction.

When I glance at the bottom 3, I realize that I just wasn't as invested in the characters in those movies as much as I was in the ones I ranked higher. I guess I never realized it until now. I just couldn't get too attached to the cars in Cars and Wall-E failed epically to get me involved in caring for the characters at all. In fact, I suspect Wall-E will just go further on down the list for me as time goes on.

mndtrp
07-20-09, 07:53 PM
What is it?

The "He did what in a cup?" line. That was very well timed.

I'm guessing the catchphrase of Larry the Cable Guy.

My favorite is Monster's Inc.

Supermallet
07-20-09, 08:46 PM
I do have to dock a few points from Toy Story 2 for starting the trend of every Disney movie having an attempted emotional montage set to a crappy country-esque song sung by Disney's teen flavor of the moment.

calhoun07
07-20-09, 09:43 PM
I do have to dock a few points from Toy Story 2 for starting the trend of every Disney movie having an attempted emotional montage set to a crappy country-esque song sung by Disney's teen flavor of the moment.

Sarah McLachlan was the teen flavor of the moment when Toy Story 2 came out? Sheesh, I learn something new every day. That's impressive considering she was in her 30's when that movie came out.

And what other Pixar movies do this?

NitroJMS
07-21-09, 12:47 AM
I voted for Up, but really I could have just as easily voted for Ratatouille, Wall-E, either Toy Story, The Incredibles, or Monsters, Inc. I love them all.

A Bug's Life is ok, but not that memorable and I really disliked Cars. Owen Wilson's horrendous voice acting killed that entire movie.

Libby
07-21-09, 05:27 PM
Its hard to really pick one. I wasnt really blown away with Incredibles or Wall-E but Up was wonderful.

SpinalGuffman
07-22-09, 01:46 AM
What is it?

The "He did what in a cup?" line. That was very well timed.I'm guessing it was when the two fangirl cars flashed their headlights at mcqueen.

My list:

1. Incredibles
2. Monsters, Inc (Boo makes this movie)
3. WALL-E (would be #1 if the third act's tone was a closer match to the rest of the film)
4. Toy Story
5. Toy Story 2 (a perfect sequel)
6. Ratatouille
7. Finding Nemo
8. Up
9. A Bug's Life
10. Cars (still liked it a LOT.)

I am disappointed Cars is getting a sequel, it is the least worthy of all, IMHO. I would love to see smart, Pixar-worthy sequels to Monsters, Inc., A Bug's Life, and the Incredibles. Those are the three worlds that seem to have the most potential to revisit with fresh stories. Also an UP prequel set in the 30s or 40s would be cool.

Bandit03
07-22-09, 08:26 AM
Wall-E tops my favorite Pixar movie list; it's actually near the top of my all time favorites list too :)