Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Any comments and experiences with refurbished receivers

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Any comments and experiences with refurbished receivers

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-00, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi. I understand the background of refurbished computers but clueless about refurbished receivers. I am thinking about purchasing the Onkyo 575 for $300 refurbished. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-31-00, 03:03 PM

I have a Denon 3200 "B" stock unit and it has been very good for me. Never had any problems with it at all.
Old 05-31-00, 08:37 PM
Topgun94

I bought the refurbished Onkyo 676 at Soundcity for $469 and it works great. Saved over $310 off the Circuit City regular price, also shipping was free and there is no sales tax on the net. I think it is worth it.

------------------
Aaron
My DVD Collection
My Rather Small Laserdisc Collection
Old 05-31-00, 10:23 PM
BEC

Refurbished describes a WIDE range of origins: returned, damaged/repaired, floor room demo, repackaged. Most retailers won't tell you the exact origins of the product (you can always try to find out).

The key is to get the details of the retailer's warranty coverage. Someplaces just give 30 days and then you're SOL. Others warranty the product as if it were new. Find out the length of coverage and what is covered. IMO, something like 30days+SOL isn't worth it for a receiver w/unknown origins, since out-of-warranty repair is rather expensive. E.g. , a burnt out channel runs about $200-$250.

Old 06-01-00, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Topgun94:
Awhile back, I ordered a Denon AVR 3300. I waited and waited for it to arrive, so when the dealer said that he could get me a refurbished unit the next day at a substantially lower cost, I went for it. Unfortunately, it was basically dead on arrival; it would play analog sources, but neither the DD nor DTS decoder worked at all. So, I took it back the next day and just continued to wait on a new one. I've had no problems with my brand new AVR 3300. I'm sure many people have done just fine with refurbished receivers, but I'll never buy one again. Also, the refurbished unit only came with a 90 day warranty, while the new one has a one year warranty.