Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Does anyone see DTS becoming the new standard?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Does anyone see DTS becoming the new standard?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-00, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone see DTS becoming the new standard? I know that it supposed sounds much better than Dolby Digital already, but do you see it taking over Dolby Digital?

I ask because I can need a new dvd player and want to upgrade to 5.1 sound at the same time. I already have a 5.1 ready reciever so I have two options.

1) I can get a dvd player with builtin Dolby Digital Decoding (no DTS) for like $350 from Amazon (Toshiba SD2200). $350 total

2) I can buy a new dvd player with DD/DTS passthrough for around $250 at Amazon (Toshiba SD1200) PLUS a new reciever that has DD and DTS decoding for AT LEAST $250 (JVC RX-6000VBK). $500 total

So basically I can get Dolby Digital for about $100 more than a basic DVD player (SD12000) OR Dolby Digital AND DTS for around $250 more.

Is that confusing?

Thanks

btw: I'm a POOR college student so every buck I spend hurts!

[This message has been edited by dfcc (edited May 28, 2000).]
Old 05-28-00, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
You really want to pay $350 for the Toshiba 2200 at Amazon when you can get one factory fresh at this price????

Damn..that's spending too much cash when other places have better prices.

-sonic<small>

[This message has been edited by sonic (edited May 28, 2000).]
Old 05-28-00, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Or, you could buy a Panasonic A320, which has DD/dts decoding (outputs 5.1 channels for your 5.1 ready receiver) and save $100-$150 over the $500 upgrade because you could buy the Panasonic A320 online for around $350 plus shipping.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 05-28-00, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's little chance that dts will overtake dd as the standard format, especially since dd has been specified as the standard format for digital television. However, I would reccommend buying an inexpensive dvd player that can pass the dts signal so you can enjoy the enhanced performance of dts...when you eventually upgrade your receiver to one that can decode it.
Old 05-28-00, 07:04 AM

Considering the ratio of dolby digital to DTS discs...which is like what, a few thousand to one?...I seriously doubt it will ever become anything other than a niche, which isn't to say its a bad standard or anything.
Old 05-28-00, 08:38 AM

Sonic, I've got over $300 in gift certificates to Amazon. Gift Certs=FREE money!

Patman, Many people have said that Panasonic players are lacking in quality and dependability. Not true?

broadwayblue, I currently have a dvd decoder card in my puter which has a TV Output and SPDIF connector (Dolby Digital).

Thanks all for the input!

Keep the opinions comin guys!
Old 05-28-00, 09:04 AM
ripthorne

Buy.com has the 2200 for only $249.99 minus that $30 coupon plus free shipping! ($20 shipping if you live in Hawaii)

------------------
-- I HATE dead people.
-- There's a reason why writers don't live very long. Yeah, people like you, 'cause you're the devil. Why don't you finally admit it? Say it! "I'm the devil!" Say it!
My Cheesy DVD List..., my webpage isn't done yet
Old 05-28-00, 09:47 AM

The Panasonic A320 is an excellent player - I recommend it highly. It does decode both DTS and DD.
Old 05-28-00, 02:04 PM
Topgun94

If you are starting fresh it is worth the slight extra expense to get a receiver that does both DD and DTS. I just broke down and got a new receiver and DVD player and made sure both supported DTS. DTS will never overtake DD, but it might be worth it to you to have the option. You at least want your receiver to support DD.

------------------
Aaron
My DVD Collection
My Rather Small Laserdisc Collection
Old 05-28-00, 04:24 PM
Cool New Member

ripthorne: i just got on that deal yesterday, but i think that the $30 off coupon is expired...

dfcc: i'd definately get a receiver that can decode a dts signal... i've a/b'ed a lot of dts v. dd dvds and definately noticed a difference... i find myself hoping for movies to be released in dts and paying the extra money for a dts dvd. you don't need to have the dvd player decode dts (or even dd) if your receiver can take care of the task...

InsaniT
Old 05-28-00, 09:20 PM
Cool New Member

I think DTS is the new standard.

Just try looking for DTS Laserdiscs. They're almost none available anymore and are selling like they are free!

DTS Dvds are slowly growing but why not spend a little more for the possibilty of playing DTS?
Old 05-28-00, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DTS isn't going to disappear, but it isn't ever going to be much more than a niche product in the general home theater market. Being the official standard for DVD and DTV plus being the only 5.1 audio system supported by the DBS (DirecTV, Dish) industry pretty much guarantees that any program material that's going to have a multi-channel mix will be done in Dolby Digital first and any others second.

There are many rational and intelligent people that claim DTS sounds superior. There are also many rational and intelligent people that claim putting coins on top of their speakers make them sound better. The fact is, deciding how one audio system sounds when compared to another is an extremely personal decision. All I can suggest is listen for yourself. The only time people are disappointed with their decisions is when they don't do their own research.
Old 05-29-00, 12:05 AM

Well said,plus just because you have DTS does not mean better sound.If your equipment is not up to par,then it is pointless.I am a firm believer that the equipment comes first,then you will reap the benefits of a well made DVD.
Old 05-29-00, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

quote:<HR>Originally posted by dfcc:
Patman, Many people have said that Panasonic players are lacking in quality and dependability. Not true?<HR>

I don't know who these "many people" are, and it may have been true with the Panasonic A110 from a couple of years ago, but it's 2 years later and the A320 is an excellent DVD player.

But the PROPER way is to get a receiver that will do both DD/dts decoding. That way, all that'll matter is gettting a DVD player that'll just pass either the DD or dts bitstream and not rely on it for the decoding.

Soundcity.com is offering a refurbished Onkyo 575 for $300, which is a steal! It's highly regarded as a great bang-for-the-buck receiver (only drawback, no S-video switching).

If you use code "052500" in the Delivery Instructions of Order comments, it's good for another 15% discount for orders over $100, but it's only good for online orders and it expires on 5-29-2000.

------------------
Old 05-30-00, 03:56 PM

If my dvd has DTS decoding will my digital receiver play it as DTS. I just bought a Pioneer VSX-D557. My DVD player is a Pioneer DV-414

------------------
Now Batting, t_rice with a $5.67 avg
Old 05-30-00, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I doubt DTS will become the standard but you will probably want it. Some discs, yes... very very few, are DTS only with no 5.1 DD track. Example - King Crimson: Deja Vroom is a 5.1 DTS disc. The DD track is 2.0. Not a big deal if you hate or have never heard the band, but for a Crimhead it's vital to have DTS to get the full sound experience. When people ask me, I always tell them to make sure they get DTS. It's there, you might as well use it.
Old 05-30-00, 06:32 PM

FYI:
According to DVD Entertainment Group
http://www.dvdinformation.com/index.cfm
More than 5,600 titles now available!

Dolby Digital 5.1 DVD's = 1,105
DTS Sound DVD's = 122
===
Phil

------------------
My HT Enthusiasts Website
Old 05-30-00, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

quote:<HR>Originally posted by t_rice:
If my dvd has DTS decoding will my digital receiver play it as DTS. I just bought a Pioneer VSX-D557. My DVD player is a Pioneer DV-414
<HR>

Nope. You need a receiver that will decode dts. Your DVD player only passes the dts bitstream to its digital audio output, and this needs to be fed to a receiver's digital audio input, and its dts decoder would convert it to 5.1 channels of sound.

------------------
Old 05-30-00, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Phil I:

DTS Sound DVD's = 122
<HR>

Hey, 10% of the 1227 total 5.1 channel DVDs being in DTS is not all that bad... Raises my spirits some...

Does it seem to anyone else that the rate of DTS releases has significantly accelerated in the past 6 months, faster than the proportional growth of DVD in general. For example we are now seeing the "big" titles from Universal coming as hybrid discs, at least half of the IMAX discs being released as hybrids, Warner re-releasing some titles in DTS, and Dreamworks broadening their support.

Just an observation...

------------------
A free Tibet - Keep Hope alive...
Old 05-30-00, 08:46 PM
BEC

As far as dfcc's opening question goes, seems like DTS has much catching up to do before it'll become THE standard. It's still a bit tough to even find DTS DVD titles in B&M stores and rental places. The internet-DVD crowd loves DTS (some of Amazon and Reel top titles are DTS), but it doesn't look like the Joe-consumer cares too much. Anyway, I'm not sure if it even matters whether or not DTS will be the standard - it's here now offering improved performance.

If you ask is DTS a better way to go, I'd say most (but not all) of the time I prefer the DTS mixes. If you ask is it worth the extra money, I'd say probably. Another alternative is to wait for the next hot, gotta-have format to emerge and cash in then, rather than now.

Presently, DTS decoding receivers are not that much more that non-DTS ones, especially if you can still get the Onkyo 575 for $300 like Patman said. However, if you really don't want to ditch your current receiver, a separate decoder/processor is another option.

The Technics SHAC500D processor decodes DTS/DD and hooks up to a 6 channel digital ready receiver. Just hook it up to a DVD player w/DTS pass through and you got DTS w/your old DD ready receiver. List price is less than $300. Refurbishedstore.com was selling them for $169. If you are happy with your current receiver or really want to save an extra $100-$200, the SHAC500D maybe a good way to go. If your old DD ready receiver has a quality amp, this way maybe even better than getting a new entry level DTS receiver. Panasonic outlet stores are a good place to check as well.

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited May 30, 2000).]
Old 05-31-00, 02:19 PM
Cool New Member

quote:<HR>
FYI:
According to DVD Entertainment Group http://www.dvdinformation.com/index.cfm
More than 5,600 titles now available!
DTS Sound DVD's = 122
<HR>

Wow! That's a lot more DTS DVDs than I thought. Sweet. I like DTS... plus, DD movies don't have a cool intro like the "DTS Digital Experience" one.

------------------
InsaniT
My DVD Library
Old 05-31-00, 04:05 PM
Premium Member

The reason for the increase in releases it due to the fact that DTS has now allowed people to mix them on there own. In the past all DTS disk were mastered by DTS. This extra care is part of why they have better sound. This point is missed by many. The question is will the new mixes stay true to the standard.
Old 05-31-00, 07:49 PM

I bought Jaws DTS instead of the regular one. Does it matter that my receiver does not play DTS, or should I exchange it for the regular one. Basicly I am asking does it hurt to have it if you cant play it?

------------------
Now Batting, t_rice with a $5.43 avg
Old 05-31-00, 08:32 PM
Topgun94

quote:<HR>Originally posted by t_rice:
I bought Jaws DTS instead of the regular one. Does it matter that my receiver does not play DTS, or should I exchange it for the regular one. Basicly I am asking does it hurt to have it if you cant play it?

<HR>

All DTS discs will have some kind of Dolby Digital stereo or 2.0 surround track. You will be able to play it. Some discs like the new Warner Lethal Weapons have both DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1. Just a word of warning it might be a good idea to disable DTS on your DVD player menu, because if you accidentaly try to play the DTS track on a receiver that doesn't support it you can ruin you speakers.

------------------
Aaron
My DVD Collection
My Rather Small Laserdisc Collection
Old 05-31-00, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

HMM. That's a new one on me. How could it damage your speakers?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.