PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Movies like Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

wvtechs
07-15-09, 10:27 PM
Recommendations and opinions welcome.

Nyko
07-15-09, 10:31 PM
In terms of dealing with the subject matter of death, I'd say it comes closest to The Seventh Seal.

wvtechs
07-15-09, 11:06 PM
In terms of dealing with the subject matter of death, I'd say it comes closest to The Seventh Seal.

I had forgotten all about that movie. Wait, the movie I was thinking of was The Seventh Sign.

Rockmjd23
07-16-09, 02:17 AM
Do you mean movies that bankrupted studios? ;) Heaven's Gate would be a good recommendation...

BullGooseLoony
07-16-09, 07:03 AM
I thought he was talking about all CGI. I was going to recommend Beowulf and The Polar Express.

Goat3001
07-16-09, 07:20 AM
How about Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children?

It's got the Final Fantasy name. It's all CGI. On top of that, it's a much better movie than Spirits Within, IMO.

Dr Mabuse
07-16-09, 07:20 AM
Is that Final Fantasy movie worth seeing?

I've never opened my copy I have around here somewhere.

RichC2
07-16-09, 07:24 AM
Neither were good, imo.

Pitch Black.

Slither has parts that will remind you of it. Plus it ganked the music from Dark City for the trailer, so try that route too :)

Goat3001
07-16-09, 08:01 AM

I thought Spirits Within was terrible. Advent Children was ok. I liked it more because I was a big fan of FFVII so it was cool to see all the characters back. If you didn't like or didn't play the game, I can't imagine liking it all that much.

Maxflier
07-16-09, 10:31 AM
Final Fantasy:The Spirits Within was pure cinematic Ambien.
So my suggestion is The Golden Compass if what you are looking for is other sleep inducing films.

Dr Mabuse
07-16-09, 11:08 AM
Ambien you crushed up and railed?

Or Ambien you ingested orally in pill form?

There's a HUGE difference.

:lol:

I'll leave it in the shrink wrap.

Noonan
07-16-09, 11:55 AM
If you're talking about something that's all CGI, Titan AE wasn't terrible. Not great either though...

The Bus
07-16-09, 12:24 PM
You want us to recommend incredibly mediocre movies?

Snowmaker
07-16-09, 12:28 PM

Its a decent movie, but pretty anti-climactic. The best part is the "Thriller" video bonus feature.

I traded in my DVD because I never watched it, yet I'm tempted to buy the Blu-ray for some reason.

Solid Snake
07-16-09, 12:42 PM
Jesus if that's best part, the film must really really suck.

wvtechs
07-16-09, 08:05 PM
If you're talking about something that's all CGI, Titan AE wasn't terrible. Not great either though...

I actually liked Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and Titan AE and thought there might be some others that enjoyed them as well. I guess I was wrong. I thought The Golden Compass was just ok but not horrible either.

I was unaware of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children and will be ordering a copy soon.

visitor Q
07-16-09, 08:41 PM
For a somewhat similar animation style as FF you might want to try out Vexille. Heavy sci-fi action film with an interesting premise (and drastically not all that dissimilar of a theme - survival within the last bastion of existence). Not stellar but entertaining enough. I might also recommend Appleseed if Vexille does anything for you ....

Oh ..and you're not alone on FF and Titan. Not that they aren't without their flaws but I enjoyed many aspects of both. And also ..I'm always afraid of blowing my speakers during the Ice Rings of Tigrin scene from Titan ..one of the most dynamic home theater mixes I've ever experienced!!

Rammsteinfan
07-16-09, 09:36 PM
I actually liked Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and Titan AE and thought there might be some others that enjoyed them as well.

I dig both those films. I have FF: TSW on BD and it looks great. I wish Titan AE was on BD already.

Maxflier
07-16-09, 10:28 PM
Ambien you crushed up and railed?

Or Ambien you ingested orally in pill form?

There's a HUGE difference.

:lol:

I'll leave it in the shrink wrap.

Orally in pill form. But washed down with a tall glass of Nyquill.

tylergfoster
07-17-09, 11:48 AM
One of these days I'll watch Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within using an alternate language track on the DVD. I always thought that the voice-acting was the movie's biggest issue. Otherwise, it was all right, and visually stunning.

Breakfast with Girls
07-17-09, 12:53 PM
I dig both those films. I have FF: TSW on BD and it looks great. I wish Titan AE was on BD already.I liked Titan A.E. quite a bit, and thought FF:TSW was decent.

fumanstan
07-17-09, 12:55 PM
I really enjoy Titan A.E. and bummed out that it bombed. I watched it on DVD just a couple months ago.

I really like Appleseed and it's sequel. There's some hokey plot stuff, but generally cool effects and action.

wvtechs
07-17-09, 02:05 PM
Appleseed and Vexille look interesting.

Supermallet
07-17-09, 04:41 PM
The Animatrix.

visitor Q
07-17-09, 05:59 PM
The Animatrix.

:thumbsup:

wvtechs
07-17-09, 06:01 PM
The Animatrix.

I own that one and like it.

gmanca
07-17-09, 06:12 PM
I also like Titan AE; haven't seen it in a while but I thought it was a mature take on cartoons, although I didn't care for the alien with glasses meant to appeal to kids.

The Animatrix was cool too, especially the Second Renaissance and the short with the humans teaching the AI Drones how to be compassionate. Still can't believe that the humans wouldn't have just annihilated all of the robots quickly, as opposed to letting them stay in Zero One.

visitor Q
07-17-09, 06:22 PM
wvtechs

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within certainly has its philosophical underpinnings and visually impressive aspects going for it. If you're into more "intelligent", "investigative" (which I consider FF to be) animated features, also similar to Ghost in the Shell, than the random fly by the night action/sci-fi fantasy stuff you might want to give Rintaro's Metropolis a try some time.

It's an excellent Japanese animated film that while lacking the energy and action that FF has, makes up for it in other ways. My review of it here (http://sixthpillarofpink.blogspot.com/2009/06/metropolis-2001-rin-taro.html). Couldn't recommend it enough .....