DVD Talk
Despicable Me (Renaud/Coffin, 2010): Voices of Steve Carell, Jason Segel, Will Arnett [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Despicable Me (Renaud/Coffin, 2010): Voices of Steve Carell, Jason Segel, Will Arnett

NoirFan
07-14-09, 09:00 PM
In a happy suburban neighborhood surrounded by white picket fences with flowering rose bushes, sits a black house with a dead lawn. Unbeknownst to the neighbors, hidden beneath this home is a vast secret hideout. Surrounded by a small army of minions, we discover Gru (voiced by Steve Carell), planning the biggest heist in the history of the world. He is going to steal the moon (Yes, the moon!) in Universal's new 3-D CGI feature, "Despicable Me."

Gru delights in all things wicked. Armed with his arsenal of shrink rays, freeze rays, and battle-ready vehicles for land and air, he vanquishes all who stand in his way. Until the day he encounters the immense will of three little orphaned girls who look at him and see something that no one else has ever seen: a potential Dad.

The world's greatest villain has just met his greatest challenge: three little girls named Margo, Edith and Agnes.

Trailer (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810095115/video/14502603)

The trailer doesn't exactly wow me, but they've assembled a nice cast of voices.

Brent L
07-01-10, 06:39 PM
I know that some of you have said you aren't interested in this one but I actually have really liked the trailers, and now the reviews are starting to come in...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1214097-despicable_me/

Co-directors Pierre Coffin and Chris Renaud understand exactly how to employ the latest 3-D technology in a fashin that the frenetic action keeps you ducking from and reaching out to touch objects as if you're right in the midst of a virtual reality.

Since villains so often steal the show in animation, Despicable Me smartly turns the whole operation over to megalomaniacal rogue Gru.

o, another 3-D animated kid movie demonstrates that cartoon storytelling pitched to young people is the last, best refuge of sprightly filmmaking this hard, hot summer.

A fun 3D cartoon about a supervillain who goes up against three young orphans.

Though it utilizes the latest visual technology, the cartoon comedy sensibility of DESPICABLE ME is old-school all the way

It is at 100% on RT right now, although I know it wont stay there. It sounds like the 3D in this one is also a big winner. I think this is great news so far though. :D

JumpCutz
07-01-10, 07:01 PM
I didn't even know this film existed. I've never seen a trailer for it.

Brent L
07-01-10, 07:07 PM
Here are some trailers for it...

http://www.youtube.com/user/DespicableMeMovie

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tikthjwNUBw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tikthjwNUBw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

islandclaws
07-01-10, 07:14 PM
My gf thinks this looks cute, so I'll prob end up seeing it.

GoldenJCJ
07-01-10, 07:18 PM
I didn't even know this film existed. I've never seen a trailer for it.
I'm not sure if you're being serious or not but I've been seeing trailers and TV spots for this for months...MONTHS!

JumpCutz
07-01-10, 07:21 PM
-wink-

Supermallet
07-01-10, 08:00 PM
Universal's carpet bomb advertising have left this thing dead to me, although I'll probably watch it so I can review it.

fumanstan
07-01-10, 08:18 PM
I've been looking forward to watching this for awhile, and I think it looks good. I love the little minion guys, I think they're cute :)

EdTheRipper
07-01-10, 10:05 PM
My son really wants to see this so I suspect we'll be going.

tylergfoster
07-01-10, 11:38 PM
It is cute. Feels like the script was written as they were going, but the animation is great and the voice-acting is solid.

It even has depth of field when it comes to 3D, and lots of it too. Stick around during the credits for some 3D-only gags.

Giantrobo
07-01-10, 11:49 PM
I have a feeling I'll be choking up during this flick. :lol:

RocShemp
07-02-10, 12:03 AM
I'm looking forward to this. It looks to be a fun time at the movies. :)

spammied
07-02-10, 07:09 AM
I'm definitely going to see this movie, looks so funny!

I noticed that the film makers are putting the minions into the promos for a show on the Discovery Channel. The captain on the boat says what good workers they are, etc. Very nicely done!!

Very interesting idea.

Hokeyboy
07-02-10, 07:20 AM
No matter how good this movie may be, the constant, unescapable, unavoidable advertising for it has made me hate it more than Pol Pot. Will catch it on video.

RichC2
07-02-10, 07:42 AM
I agree with the overkill advertising on this one, can't watch TV for 10 minutes without seeing some sort of ad (an actual ad, a cross promotion with the station or Cinnaminions at IHOP.) Got old fast. I do like the Apatow alum cast though.

Blu Man
07-02-10, 04:09 PM
100% on Rotten Tomato's (6-0). Surprising.

Giles
07-02-10, 05:50 PM
I don't know what it is, but the trailers make me livid and want to kick a cat or throw a puppy in front of a incoming car.

valkyrie
07-02-10, 11:28 PM
I don't know what it is, but the trailers make me livid and want to kick a cat or throw a puppy in front of a incoming car.

You may want to seek help quick. It looks better than 99% of the garbage on the silver screen this year.

rexinnih
07-03-10, 01:35 PM

Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute here. The critics cannot like a movie that we as anonymous Internet posters have predetermined not to like solely based on trailers and not having actually seen the movie. Don't they know how this works?!?!?!?!

Blu Man
07-03-10, 01:36 PM
Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute here. The critics cannot like a movie that we as anonymous Internet posters have predetermined not to like solely based on trailers and not having actually seen the movie. Don't they know how this works?!?!?!?!

I guess not.

Deftones
07-03-10, 06:32 PM
My sister, who hates "kids" movies, got to see an advance screening of this. She said it was great. Might have to check it out now.

islandclaws
07-03-10, 06:33 PM

Not (going to be) surprising: Armond White will hate this, so that 100% will only last so long.

mdc3000
07-03-10, 11:22 PM
I've been looking forward to this but the marketing has been terrible - I have no clue what the movie is actually about, but I'll be there next weekend regardless, just because of the talent involved.

big whoppa
07-03-10, 11:30 PM
I agree with the overkill advertising on this one, can't watch TV for 10 minutes without seeing some sort of ad (an actual ad, a cross promotion with the station or Cinnaminions at IHOP.) Got old fast. I do like the Apatow alum cast though.

Yeah, I first heard about it at IHop with their Despicable Me menu.

I've been looking forward to this but the marketing has been terrible - I have no clue what the movie is actually about, but I'll be there next weekend regardless, just because of the talent involved.

True but it worked for Wall-E.

Supermallet
07-03-10, 11:40 PM
Wall-E definitely did a better job of letting you know what the movie is about than Despicable Me has.

Giantrobo
07-04-10, 03:52 AM
... the marketing has been terrible - I have no clue what the movie is actually about, b

Really?

Supermallet
07-04-10, 04:24 AM
The first teaser was about a guy stealing every major world landmark. The second ad was about the main character being the second best villain in the world, and his competition with the first. And the final trailer is about him taking care of some orphans or something. None of the ads seem to acknowledge what's been mentioned in the other ads. I still don't know what the movie is ultimately about.

tylergfoster
07-04-10, 08:17 AM
The first teaser was about a guy stealing every major world landmark. The second ad was about the main character being the second best villain in the world, and his competition with the first. And the final trailer is about him taking care of some orphans or something. None of the ads seem to acknowledge what's been mentioned in the other ads. I still don't know what the movie is ultimately about.I agree with Suprmallet. I didn't know going in.

For the record, the core plot is probably the rivalry: a new supervillain (Segel) burts onto the scene just as Gru (Carell) is about to set things in motion on his biggest and most personal evil plot, and Gru will need to take him out before pulling off his scheme. To do this, he needs the help of some little girls, who he adopts from an orphanage.

It's hard to write anything about the story without inadvertently making it obvious how the movie ends, but it's still a nice little diversion in an otherwise dreary summer. If I'd heard the pre-release hype earlier and bothered to see How to Train Your Dragon 3D, I imagine this would probably rank lower, but I can see myself buying the Blu-Ray.

jfoobar
07-04-10, 08:35 AM
I saw a teaser for this quite some time ago and promptly forgot about it.

The animation looks amazing and it looks like it was definitely looks like it was designed with 3D in mind. It is sure to be a visual treat. Sadly, not a single line in the trailer made me laugh.

Giles
07-04-10, 09:07 AM
^ funny I think the animation looks 'cheap'

Blu Man
07-04-10, 10:04 AM
The animation looks no better then any other computer animated film that has come out in the last 3 years (some exceptions). In fact I don't think it looks close to as good as How to Train Your Dragon or Toy Story 3.

DarbyD53
07-05-10, 07:23 PM
Huge fan of Steve's but after seeing the first trailer I wasn't too excited to see it. After the "It's so fluffy" trailer. I'm sold. Will catch it in theater.

big whoppa
07-05-10, 08:04 PM
Free for me. I have passes to an advanced screening on Wed. I'm curious if the screening will be in 3D but since they didn't mention it, I'll have to assume not.

Giles
07-06-10, 09:35 AM
^ most of the advance screenings of animated films (that are commercially released in 2D and 3D) are only 2D.

Axeramm
07-06-10, 10:29 AM
The "It's so fluffy" trailer cracks me up every time i see. Somehow i need to find some kids so i can go watch this and Toy Story 3.

Blu Man
07-06-10, 10:33 AM
Somehow i need to find some kids so i can go watch this and Toy Story 3.

http://thenastyboys.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/chris-hansen.jpg

big whoppa
07-06-10, 09:25 PM
^ most of the advance screenings of animated films (that are commercially released in 2D and 3D) are only 2D.

Thanks. Good to know. I'll walk in tomorrow knowing nothing about the plot of this movie. Hopefully, it's good. I convinced 4 friends to join me.

Supermallet
07-09-10, 12:38 PM
Well, despite all the crap advertising, the movie is actually quite enjoyable. It reminds me of Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, although it's not as much giddy fun as that film is. Still worth seeing though, and in 3D too.

Hokeyboy
07-09-10, 01:02 PM
Well, despite all the crap advertising, the movie is actually quite enjoyable. It reminds me of Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, although it's not as much giddy fun as that film is. Still worth seeing though, and in 3D too.
Sounds good. I wasn't crazy about Meatballs... it had a great sense of comic timing and zaniness, but it ended up feeling annoying and pointless by the end (kind of like the 2nd act of "Meet the Robinsons", but for more than half the movie). Still, the reviews for "Despicable Me" have been pretty strong, and I always love a good animated movie, so it's either this or TS3 for the fourth time.

Supermallet
07-09-10, 01:13 PM
It's not the same as Cloudy, I just think it's closer in spirit to that film than the obvious Dreamworks/Pixar comparisons.

lisadoris
07-09-10, 05:34 PM
Saw it this morning and it was adorable. The little kids in the theater giggled throughout which is a good sign. I thought the clueless minions would get annoying very quickly but they didn't.

Giantrobo
07-09-10, 06:32 PM
The "It's so fluffy" trailer cracks me up every time i see.

Every time I see that scene I my heart breaks. It's so damn cute!! :lol:

Patman
07-09-10, 11:43 PM
I had thought the main character "Gru" (voiced by Steve Carell) would get on my nerves, going by the trailer, but I was surprised at how much heart was contained in the film. The actual plotline (super villains Gru and Vector finding a need to one-up one other in order to maintain their villainous status quo gets side-tracked when Gru adopts 3 very cute little orphan girls, who melt his heart in unexpected ways) is fine for a film like this, but the execution of the animation and character design is where the film shines. Loved Gru's Evil Minions, they were a lot of fun.

Kids will enjoy this film a lot, due to the visual comedy and interpersonal storylines.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

Tarantino
07-10-10, 09:11 AM
Went yesterday with the GF, thought it was awesome.

RichC2
07-10-10, 12:39 PM
I take it the fact it was only $69m to make the movie explains why there was such a huge marketing budget.

davidh777
07-10-10, 05:06 PM
Agreed on the obnoxious advertising, and the minions seem designed solely for merchandising purposes. But the film is really good. Funny, and with a heart. Good 3-D effects too.

nickdawgy
07-10-10, 10:39 PM
The wife and I liked it alot. I can't wait for the "Gru-Ray" to be released.

Oh and I want a stuffed minion. Those things are funny.

FantasticVSDoom
07-10-10, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I was a little "iffy" on this one, but damn if it didn't get me... Really enjoyed it, and I have to say that even though the minions reek of marketing schtick, I loved the little fuckers.

Jadzia
07-11-10, 04:14 PM
I just came home from seeing this with my son and I loved it. I went in knowing nothing abut the plot, just seeing the little minions in passing in the ad. I thought this movie was much more worthy of seeing in 3D than Toy Story 3. Lots of cool 3D effects. Very funny, cute and even touching in parts (though not a tear-jerker like TS3).

I loved the music by Pharrell also. I might need to get the soundtrack.

davidh777
07-11-10, 11:44 PM
I just came home from seeing this with my son and I loved it. I went in knowing nothing abut the plot, just seeing the little minions in passing in the ad. I thought this movie was much more worthy of seeing in 3D than Toy Story 3. Lots of cool 3D effects.

It was definitely flashier 3D. I saw both Up and TS3 in 3D and never felt like Pixar was trying to show off the format.

tylergfoster
07-12-10, 08:05 AM
The wife and I liked it alot. I can't wait for the "Gru-Ray" to be released.I forgot about this gag until you posted it. I hope they do it.

nickdawgy
07-12-10, 09:38 AM
I think the minions need their own movie. :lol:

RichC2
07-12-10, 12:25 PM
Armond White actually liked this movie, agreeing with the generally good critical reception... That's almost a first :lol:

onebyone
07-12-10, 03:30 PM
I didn't think the trailers looked remotely interesting, but I had free movie cash from amazon so figured I would give it a go and am glad I did. This movie was just great and worked on so many levels. I too will be buying the Gru-Ray when it hits, I can see revisiting this one a lot. I just got back and wish I could go see it again tonight.

Saw it with a great crowd too, with everyone from kids to grown ups just laughing and having fun with nary a texter in sight. If all crowds were like that, I would really love going out to the cinema much much more.

I also have to get that soundtrack it was really perfect.

mdc3000
07-14-10, 12:20 AM
Really enjoyed it. Great use of 3D and moved at a good pace - plus the minions and Agnes were really cute and stole the show. I liked the score a lot and had some serious fun. Worth checking out. 4 stars.

Teremei
07-14-10, 09:20 AM
Going to see it today looks quite cute. And I'm a fan of 3D too.

superdeluxe
07-14-10, 12:25 PM
Really liked the movie, after all the complaining/bitching about the trailers, this movie was lots of fun. Also really enjoyed the soundtrack from Pharell.

EdTheRipper
07-14-10, 04:29 PM
Saw this today with my wife and son. We really liked it.

Jon2
07-14-10, 08:30 PM
Saw DM Tuesday with an audience that was at least 75% adults. Got lots of laughs - and even applause at the end which is something I don't see at most movies.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see it in 3D. It worked so well that I didn't even notice until the minion end credit gags, which were clearly designed to showcase 3D. In hindsight, I can imagine that many scenes probably looked terrific in 3D.

I liked it well enough that I'm going to try to locate a theater showing it in 3D.

fumanstan
07-18-10, 07:56 PM
I caught this in 3D yesterday afternoon. I think i'm over the 3D thing. There's a nice benefit to it, but in the end it doesn't enhance the viewing for me enough to warrant a price increase over a normal show. I paid $29 for 2 tickets to Despicable Me, versus $22 for Inception. I'm done with it outside of an IMAX 3D showing of something awesome.

Anyway, loved the movie. Great characters, and loved the minions and Agnus. They really made the movie.

nycdude
07-19-10, 11:13 AM
I saw this movie with the kids this weekend and everyone had a blast.

mhg83
07-19-10, 07:47 PM
Saw it yesterday on a date and we both loved it.

doctaheath78
07-25-10, 10:22 PM
Saw it today with my girlfriend and thought it was GREAT.

Brent L
07-26-10, 01:49 PM
I finally saw this yesterday, and I am sad to say that it didn't live up to what I had in mind going in. It was just ok to me, and I thought it was missing something. It was way, way behind both TS3 and HtTYD in my opinion, although I'd imagine most would agree with me on that anyway.

So yeah, just ok to me. This one felt way more aimed at children instead of trying to connect with both age brackets, and that's perfectly fine. It just didn't totally click with me.

Giles
08-09-10, 04:03 PM
as much as I loathed the trailers and the overall marketing of the movie before it's release - I was quite pleased and surprised that I enjoyed the overall film. The ending was very touching. I also thought the 3D effects were a trip and effectively integrated - the end credits bit was a hoot.