Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : "Blitz" (with Jason Statham)

Daytripper
07-13-09, 08:45 PM
For those (like me) who were hoping that Statham landed another "Bank Job" like film/role, and soon, it's coming. See below (from Variety). I'm extra excited about this because I've read all the Ken Bruen books and they are fantastic. Bruen also wrote one of my favorites, "London Boulevard". Now filming with Colin Farrell, Keira Knightley, David Thewlis and Ray Winstone.

LONDON -- Jason Statham is in final negotiations to star in "Blitz," a London-set thriller about a serial killer targeting police officers.
Lionsgate U.K. is fully financing the project, which is an adaptation of Ken Bruen's bestseller of the same name. Mandate Intl. will handle international sales.

"Blitz" will be Lionsgate U.K.'s first British project since it announced its plans to beef up its local production last year. It will also mark the first collaboration between Statham and Lionsgate U.K. since last year's "The Bank Job," which was a hit at the Blighty box office.

Statham will play a tough, uncompromising cop assigned the task of tracking down the killer. Paddy Considine will play his partner.

Nathan Parker wrote the script; Elliott Lester is directing.

Lionsgate U.K. topper Zygi Kamasa, Steve Chasman, Brad Wyman and Donald Kushner are producing.

Project begins lensing Aug. 10 in London.

"Jason and I are excited about the opportunity to be working here again as we are keen to continue supporting British films," Chasman said.

Ash Ketchum
07-13-09, 08:50 PM
I'll see it.

But he's gotta do a CRANK 3!

Daytripper
07-13-09, 08:53 PM
I'll see it.

But he's gotta do a CRANK 3!

I hope so too. Did you hear Statham and Guy Ritchie were in discussions about a musical? (!!) I read that online a few weeks ago. That has to be a bad rumor. Or maybe something laughed up at a pub. Hoping it would get printed. I'll try to find the link to that story.

Edit: Here it is.... http://www.themoviepress.com/4/post/2009/05/what-jason-statham-musical-directed-by-guy-ritchie.html

http://www.broadway.com/Will-Jason-Statham-and-Guy-Ritchie-Team-Up-for-Guys-and-Dolls-Film-/broadway_news/5028207

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/ritchie-timberlake-to-team-up-for-movie_1108336

Dr Mabuse
07-13-09, 09:31 PM
Jason wastes his abilities on those action vehicles, I think he can really deliver in a role.

But I'm sure he makes good money for the action stuff.

I really liked 'The Bank Job', and I'll see this too.

RocShemp
07-13-09, 09:44 PM
I loved the The Bank Job. I'm in for this. :up: But I wont deny that I want him to do Crank 3. And Transporter 4 but only if it can get the franchise out of the dupster in which the third movie left it.

Tarantino
07-13-09, 09:48 PM
And Transporter 4 but only if it can get the franchise out of the dupster in which the <b>second</b> movie left it.

There you go.

I love Statham in these action movies. The more, the merrier.

RocShemp
07-13-09, 10:01 PM
There you go.

I love Statham in these action movies. The more, the merrier.

The second may have been absurd but at least it was watchable and rather entertaining. The third was unbearable.

Giantrobo
07-13-09, 10:16 PM
I'm not a fan of his Transporter series but loooved the Bank Job. And we don't get nearly enough UK based films here for my tastes so I'm in.

Daytripper
07-13-09, 10:31 PM
I'm not a fan of his Transporter series but loooved the Bank Job. And we don't get nearly enough UK based films here for my tastes so I'm in.

Clearly the "Transporter" films aren't high art. And none of them are no where near great (and you're talking to a fan here). But the third is 100,000 times better than the second. And the only gripes I've read about #3 is the girl. FWIW, the last installment was the biggest at the box-office worldwide. But back to the subject. I agree with Giantrobo. I love "The Bank Job". It's my favorite JS film and performance. So I can't wait for this. But, I'd still gladly pay to see more "Crank" and "Transporter" movies. And for fuck's sake, let's get that "Italian Job" sequel in gear already!

RocShemp
07-13-09, 10:44 PM
The third had the most horrible editing ever. You couldn't even watch the fights cos they were cut to ribbons. And the girl managed to ruin every scene she was in. The only things I enjoyed were Frank (despite the fact that his fights were neutered), the French cop, and T Bag as the villain.

I could definitely go for an Italian Job sequel. :up:

I hope Statham keeps the variety going the way he has with movies like the Crank series, the Transporter series, and movies like The Bank Job.

Ghostface180
07-13-09, 11:06 PM
I read the script a couple of years ago when it was on The Black List (best unproduced screenplays of the year). It's not an action vehicle but more in the vein of The Bank Job and Layer Cake (though Blitz is darker). I instantly envisioned Statham in the lead role before I knew he was attached.

Also, Nathan Parker just wrote Moon, which was a pretty cool, smaller sci-fi piece that's worth checking out.

Daytripper
07-13-09, 11:09 PM
I read the script a couple of years ago when it was on The Black List (best unproduced screenplays of the year). It's not an action vehicle but more in the vein of The Bank Job and Layer Cake (though Blitz is darker). I instantly envisioned Statham in the lead role before I knew he was attached.

Correct. None of Bruen's books are "action". At least, that's not how I read them. More drama with a hard edge.

Ghostface180
07-13-09, 11:12 PM
Correct. None of Bruen's books are "action". At least, that's not how I read them. More drama with a hard edge.

"Hard edge" describes the script perfectly.

Tarantino
07-13-09, 11:18 PM
The second may have been absurd but at least it was watchable and rather entertaining. The third was unbearable.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. I think the second was an awful, awful film. The third I thought was pretty bad, but definitely not as bad as the second.

Trevor
07-14-09, 01:59 PM
Bump to remind people who bought the 2 disc DVD (and Blu-ray ?) that the digital copy must be redeemed by tomorrow.

RocShemp
07-14-09, 02:28 PM
Those things have an expiration date? Heck, I even forgot it even included a digital copy. :lol:

Nicholas Vargo
07-14-09, 02:46 PM
Took advantage of the digital copy the day I bought it!

OldBoy
07-14-09, 04:19 PM
Jason wastes his abilities on those action vehicles, I think he can really deliver in a role.

But I'm sure he makes good money for the action stuff.

I really liked 'The Bank Job', and I'll see this too.

true. i could care less about all his Crank or Transporter movies, but i love him in The Bank Job, Lock, Stock... and Snatch.

PopcornTreeCt
07-18-09, 03:21 PM
I like Jason Statham but I think he knows the limits of his abilities and that's why he's in those action vehicles.

Michael Corvin
07-19-09, 08:09 AM
Count me as another that didn't know those codes expire. I'm on vacation and guess I'm missing out on redeeming it. :sad:

Trevor
07-19-09, 09:59 AM
I have a vague memory of someone here starting a thread listing all DVDs with digital copies and their expiration dates. Will search later when at a computer.

Solid Snake
07-19-09, 07:11 PM
oh hey that'd be nice to see that list...not that I use Digital Copies..but if I did..I'd like to know just in case.

Daytripper
07-19-09, 07:25 PM
I like Jason Statham but I think he knows the limits of his abilities and that's why he's in those action vehicles.

That's a bit unfair. Do you actually think he feels he's subpar so he better stick to brainless action films? I peronally think he's been painted into a corner by them. Sure, it's kept him employed. But he has shown he's capable of being more. And he can't keep doing the physical roles forever.

Solid Snake
07-19-09, 08:37 PM
I think Statham can be a great actor under a good director. Ritchie for sure has gotten good stuff out of him (never seen Revolver though). I think the Bank Job was kinda average really...maybe a bit too straight forward and a little too beyond belief? maybe it was just me..

Daytripper
07-19-09, 09:51 PM
I think Statham can be a great actor under a good director. Ritchie for sure has gotten good stuff out of him (never seen Revolver though). I think the Bank Job was kinda average really...maybe a bit too straight forward and a little too beyond belief? maybe it was just me..

"Revolver" is not a great movie, but oddly, Statham is just about the only good thing in it IMO. And I think "TBJ" is his best film and performance. It's also one of my favorite movies of 2008.

Solid Snake
07-19-09, 10:47 PM
I dunno. I was bored by it...THOUGH I do like Statham in it. Any scene without him was kinda crappy in general.

Michael Corvin
07-25-09, 08:50 PM
Bump to remind people who bought the 2 disc DVD (and Blu-ray ?) that the digital copy must be redeemed by tomorrow.

FWIW, I just redeemed it and it still works. I'm now going through my whole collection and importing all of them. :lol:

Trevor
07-25-09, 09:11 PM
FWIW, I just redeemed it and it still works. I'm now going through my whole collection and importing all of them. :lol:
Yeah, I've noticed that some of the wording in the fine print is "may expire by xx/xx/xxxx" or somesuch.

If you don't mind, list the ones you find and their (possible) exp dates. I'll make sure they get in the proper thread one day soon, or start one.

Daytripper
08-11-09, 03:40 PM
More casting news.

Aidan Gillen & David Morrissey Ready Themselves for the Blitz
10 August 2009 9:58 AM, PDT | From DreadCentral.com | See recent Dread Central news

A few weeks back we told you that Jason Statham had signed on to Elliott Lester’s Blitz, a thriller about a serial killer targeting the police population in South London. Today we’ve got more info, including further casting and distribution.

The Hollywood Reporter lists Aidan Gillen (pictured, 12 Rounds) and David Morrissey (The Reaping) as the latest additions to the cast. Principal photography began yesterday, August 9, and Blitz is scheduled for a release via Lionsgate U.K in 2010.

No word yet on a Stateside release, but we’ll be following this production as it progresses.

- MattFini

Daytripper
10-30-10, 11:16 AM
Trailer. Can't wait!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39PTTc1vO0s

Troy Stiffler
10-30-10, 03:21 PM
Looks good. Paddy Considine is always good to see.

Groucho
10-30-10, 04:58 PM
Looks good, but the trailer gives too much away. Too bad they couldn't get Andrew Garfield, or they'd have two of the three leads from the Red Riding trilogy in there.

Solid Snake
10-30-10, 09:45 PM
I'm in. I'm not nuts about it but it looks something that I'd like to Statham in.

All it needs is Megan Fox and Ash Ketchum would blow his creepy load worth blowing for that idea.

birdseye
10-30-10, 11:07 PM
I missed this thread the first time around. Ken Bruen is one of my favorite authors so I'm happy to see one of his books made into a movie. Can't say I imagined Jason Statham as Brant, but that's ok. Earlier somebody mentioned Statham being perfect for the role based on reading the script, so that's good. The trailer looks pretty good also.

mrhan
08-05-11, 10:57 AM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L5c5pQZLBOo?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L5c5pQZLBOo?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Daytripper
08-23-11, 07:43 PM
Out on DVD today here in the U.S., and just watched it. It far exceeded my my expectations. Extremely faithful to the book. Great cast. And this was Statham's best performance ever. I really enjoy the film. 8.5/10 rating from me.

Solid Snake
08-23-11, 09:31 PM
what was the book called?

Daytripper
08-23-11, 09:52 PM
what was the book called?

Same, "Blitz". I cannot recommend the book series enough. It's odd that they chose to make this movie first. Well, based on how it faired at the box-office, they most likely won't do anymore. Because "Blitz" was not the first book in the series, it was the fourth. And there was so much you learned about the characters in the first three books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Bruen

Solid Snake
08-23-11, 09:59 PM
ooof...hefty price at Amazon too. Seems like the 3 books are not for sale directly from amazon. I'll get this book though when I find it at a decent price.

Daytripper
08-23-11, 10:17 PM
ooof...hefty price at Amazon too. Seems like the 3 books are not for sale directly from amazon. I'll get this book though when I find it at a decent price.

Suggestion? Try your local library first. They had almost all of Bruen's books. And the one's they didn't, I bought on Half.com used for just a few bucks.

Sidenote, I only learned of Ken Bruen when I heard that William Monahan (who won an Oscar for his screenplay for "The Departed") bought the rights to Bruen's book "London Boulevard". A huge fan of "The Departed", I bought that book immediately. And read it in one day when I got it. One of my all-time favorite books. Bruen's writing style is so breezy and quick, fun and hip. That's why I sought out all of his books.

Deftones
08-24-11, 08:53 AM
fwiw, this is streaming on Netflix.

Daytripper
09-05-11, 11:11 PM
New trailer. Really good film. Hope people find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhO2WJ3MNRI

Ash Ketchum
09-06-11, 05:42 AM
Did it get any theatrical release in the U.S. at all?

Daytripper
09-06-11, 02:03 PM
Did it get any theatrical release in the U.S. at all?

No.

RichC2
09-06-11, 02:58 PM
Watched it on Netflix, found it to be a bit of a chore to sit through.

Solid Snake
04-06-13, 03:08 PM
Finally saw this today. Got the BD for 5 bucks at Target.

Fucking loved it. A good Statham flick. Had a nice hard edge to it. Can't say much bad about it. Really dug some of the music in it.

I still need to read the books. And it'd be cool to see more of Brant. From what it sounds that'll never happen, alas.

RocShemp
04-06-13, 03:19 PM
^ But what did you think about the color timing? That's the important issue.

Solid Snake
04-06-13, 03:25 PM
I actually thought that was good. I was going to mention that but I didn't think it important to do so. Usually I don't like that weird orange look but it worked on this one.

Daytripper
04-07-13, 11:51 AM
Finally saw this today. Got the BD for 5 bucks at Target.

Fucking loved it. A good Statham flick. Had a nice hard edge to it. Can't say much bad about it. Really dug some of the music in it.

I still need to read the books. And it'd be cool to see more of Brant. From what it sounds that'll never happen, alas.

You *have* to read the series. All at your local library. They are such a great, fun and fast read. And while you're at it, pick up "London Boulevard". Stand alone novel from the same author. My favorite by him.