DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Theater or Home?

wvtechs
07-13-09, 03:41 PM
I used to enjoy watching movies at the theater until it got to the point that it was not worth the hassle of having to listen to all the noise and distractions while trying to watch the movie. The last time I watched a movie was several years ago when I nearly got into a fight with a guy (in a packed theater) who would not stop kicking the back of my chair. I then said enough was enough.

With that said... Do you like to watch movies at the theater when they are released or wait until they are released on DVD, Blu-ray, etc... and watch them at home?

The Bus
07-13-09, 03:48 PM
To me, there is simply no comparison to seeing a movie in the theater. Even if you have a top-of-the-line home theater system, or real projectors at your house, it's still not the same.

There's good and bad as far as crowds go but I've long ago mastered the art of avoiding idiotic audiences by selecting the theater and/or time more wisely. For a lot of comedies, I prefer going when the theater is packed and I don't mind the crowd noise. To explain it a bit more to some of the curmudgeons here, the sound that is so braying to your ears is called "laughter" and generally puts people in a good mood.

The movies I have the hardest time with are kid's movies. For those, it generally works if I go late at night on a weeknight.

OldBoy
07-13-09, 03:50 PM
depends on the movie. if i really want to see it, most likely theater. if i can wait, i will.

islandclaws
07-13-09, 03:51 PM
Theater.

I'll occasionally skip films that I have some interest in seeing, because I enjoy watching new(er) movies on my set up, but anything I'm really interested in I go see in a theater opening weekend. Nothing beats that experience, assuming there aren't people there to ruin it for you.

fumanstan
07-13-09, 03:53 PM
Definitely Theater. Nothing beats seeing a big movie on the big screen. I usually go on Weekend mornings to catch a matinee, so not only is it significantly cheaper ($6 here at a brand new AMC), the crowds are smaller so there's less annoyances from the other theater goers.

wvtechs
07-13-09, 03:55 PM
Could a moderator remove the second "Poll:" from the subject line? I did not realize the polling feature would add one as well. Thanks.

Mikael79
07-13-09, 03:58 PM
It usually depends on the movie. Comedies I'm alright with, because people talking out of place doesn't bug me as much. But dramas and other genres I cannot stand the noise, so I'll usually either go to the theater very late in it's run, or I'll wait for the DVD.

Boba Fett
07-13-09, 04:28 PM
I saw the HD-DVD of Transformers projected on a 150" screen via a 1080p digital projector and a top of the line 7.1 sound system. In that instance the experience was 10x better than an actual movie theater.

Blu Man
07-13-09, 07:23 PM
Even though I have a almost fully deticated theater room with a 5.1 surround sound and high def projector, nothing beats the experience of the cinema. 1080p is good, but film and Christie DLP are both leagues above it, plus most people can't get screens the size of a theaters at their home. As for the crowds, I've never had any serious issues, some bitchy people but other then that nothing major. Now that DLP projectors are becoming more commen the theater experience is even becoming better. Sorry folks, I don't care how good your projector is or what Blu Ray player you have, it can't compete with DLP or even film for that matter. My vote definetly goes to the theater.

Solid Snake
07-13-09, 07:35 PM
To me, there is simply no comparison to seeing a movie in the theater. Even if you have a top-of-the-line home theater system, or real projectors at your house, it's still not the same.

There's good and bad as far as crowds go but I've long ago mastered the art of avoiding idiotic audiences by selecting the theater and/or time more wisely. For a lot of comedies, I prefer going when the theater is packed and I don't mind the crowd noise. To explain it a bit more to some of the curmudgeons here, the sound that is so braying to your ears is called "laughter" and generally puts people in a good mood.

The movies I have the hardest time with are kid's movies. For those, it generally works if I go late at night on a weeknight.

That's me in a nutshell.

mcnabb
07-13-09, 08:11 PM
The only time I goto the movies is if it is an event movie: The Dark Knight, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc.

99% of the time, I enjoy my movies at home with my surround sound relaxing on my couch, and no chatter from some jerkoffs who keep getting up through the movie! And of course there is always one moron who cellphone rings too! As Tony Soprano said, "It was such a better world before cellphones!"

lamphorn
07-13-09, 08:24 PM
I don't know what movie theatres many of you guys go to. Yes, I've had a dickhead kick the back of my seat. Yes I've seen the telltale cell phone light up when an idiot texts, and yeah, sometimes you get a talker. But honestly, those incidents are very few and far between in my experience, and I've never gotten into a fight with another moviegoer as many of you seem to experience. I wonder if some theatre-shunners are simply extremely high-strung and misanthropic and should stay home.

I do love watching a movie on my little HDTV, but aint nothing like going to a theatre. It's like the difference between seeing a great painting in person and seeing a copy of it in a book.

RocShemp
07-13-09, 08:25 PM
The only time I goto the movies is if it is an event movie: The Dark Knight, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc.

99% of the time, I enjoy my movies at home with my surround sound relaxing on my couch, and no chatter from some jerkoffs who keep getting up through the movie! And of course there is always one moron who cellphone rings too! As Tony Soprano said, "It was such a better world before cellphones!"

What he said minus the Soprano's quote. Not that I disagree but I never saw that episode cos I could never get into that show.

dtcarson
07-13-09, 08:35 PM
A good theater experience can be much more rewarding and cheaper than a good home theater experience...but a good home theater experience is much more controllable than a good theater experience. Plus once you invest in a home theater of any type it's good for more than just one movie.
That said, I enjoy seeing the occasional "big ticket" movie in the theater. I've seen two so far this year, which is about my average. Some movies are better larger than life. But generally, home theater works for me.
I haven't had any really "bad" experiences in an actual theater, but it's generally not worth the time, inconvenience, and relative high cost to do it too often.

zombeaner
07-13-09, 08:39 PM
I love movie theaters, and I would much rather watch a film there, even thought this doesn't happen often enough. On a side note, I hate stadium seating, and I am sort of sad that most theaters are equipped this way today. There is something about the experience of looking up at the film and feeling dwarfed by it, that really enhances the theater experience. These days that means that I have to sit 4 or 5 rows from the screen just so that I am in the regular theater seats, before most auditoriums start the stadium seats.

RocShemp
07-13-09, 08:45 PM
I'm the opposite, zombeaner. I love stadium seating. I never liked having to look up at the screen. I remember when I sat in my first theater with stadium seating. I really enjoyed being able to look directly at the screen. Conversly, I don't like going with a group of people that insist on sitting as close to the back wall as possible. It really dwarfs the screen and I end up looking down at the image. It's the same problem but in the reverse.

fumanstan
07-13-09, 08:48 PM
I don't know what movie theatres many of you guys go to. Yes, I've had a dickhead kick the back of my seat. Yes I've seen the telltale cell phone light up when an idiot texts, and yeah, sometimes you get a talker. But honestly, those incidents are very few and far between in my experience, and I've never gotten into a fight with another moviegoer as many of you seem to experience. I wonder if some theatre-shunners are simply extremely high-strung and misanthropic and should stay home.

I do love watching a movie on my little HDTV, but aint nothing like going to a theatre. It's like the difference between seeing a great painting in person and seeing a copy of it in a book.

Yeah, thinking about it I don't think i've had a person ruin a movie with a cell phone call or a crying baby situation in at least the last dozen movies i've gone to.

Blu Man
07-13-09, 08:50 PM
I love movie theaters, and I would much rather watch a film there, even thought this doesn't happen often enough. On a side note, I hate stadium seating, and I am sort of sad that most theaters are equipped this way today. There is something about the experience of looking up at the film and feeling dwarfed by it, that really enhances the theater experience. These days that means that I have to sit 4 or 5 rows from the screen just so that I am in the regular theater seats, before most auditoriums start the stadium seats.

Stadium seating is the best! I won't go to a theater without it. I HATE having peoples heads blocking out the bottom part of the image. Plus stadium seating is more comfertable and honestly, makes the theater look nicer.

DarbyD53
07-13-09, 08:59 PM
As some have said it depends on the movie. Looking over my Top 30 movies all time. I've only watched 8 of them in the theater and of my Top 5 only 1.

I use to get more excited with DVD release dates that theater releases but that was before I was online a ton, now I fear running into spoilers so I see some in the theater just so I dont have to avoid certain sites

Indy Jones Fan
07-13-09, 09:01 PM
Why not a poll option for "both"? I go to the theater 2-3 times a week (early matinees or weekday evenings) and I watch 4-5 movies a week at home on my 100" projection screen with Blu-Ray and 7.1 surround.

Draven
07-13-09, 09:13 PM
I go to the theater fairly often (it's what my wife and I have been doing together since our first date) but I do hate it when there is anyone in there that is doing anything but watching the movie.

The way I see it - if you wanted to text, or talk to your friends, or deal with a crying baby...why did you pay $10 to do it? It's inconsiderate, and I end up spending a lot of time thinking about how rude these people and not always paying 100% attention to the movie.

So I see movies in the theater because I hate waiting and running the risk of catching a spoiler online, but I hate the experience because in nearly every movie I've been to in the last 5 years, someone in there does something that pisses me off.

TomOpus
07-13-09, 09:18 PM

The movies I have the hardest time with are kid's movies. For those, it generally works if I go late at night on a weeknight.Sums it up nicely for me too.

spainlinx0
07-13-09, 09:29 PM
I really don't go to the theaters that often anymore, except for comedies. Laughter is contagious and it makes the movie such a better experience.

You don't think the movie was funny? Oh, you watched it at home, on your couch, by yourself, while surfing the internet. No, I'm sure that didn't influence your opinion of the movie whatsoever.

mndtrp
07-13-09, 10:01 PM
I'll usually only go to the theater if it's a big event type of movie, and I want to get the crowd interaction. I always take my lady to see the new Pixar movie, as they usually come out around her birthday, so we make a dinner/movie date out of it.

Comedies are usually a good time at theaters, but I have a hard time plunking down $10 apiece to go.

Ash Ketchum
07-13-09, 10:04 PM
If it's something I feel I have to see, e.g. to be part of the conversation about an over-hyped film like STAR TREK or WATCHMEN, I go to the theater. If I wait to see it on cable I usually tape it and never watch it or start watching it and turn it off in disgust when it turns out to be awful. Of the 14 new films I saw in theaters this year, I don't think I would have lasted through 12 of them on cable. Seeing it in a theater means sitting through it. Sometimes, sitting through the whole thing, even if I don't like it, has some value.

Most of the movies I watch on DVD are Japanese or Hong Kong titles that don't play in theaters here or are ones I've missed when they've had a very brief theatrical engagement (usually just at a film festival). I've got John Woo's RED CLIFF Parts 1 & 2 on DVD. It's the complete movie, something that won't play in theaters here in the U.S. (Still haven't gotten through it, though--I keep putting it on late in the evening and promptly falling asleep. I have to put it on early on a Saturday afternoon or something, when I have the necessary energy to watch it.)

klemsaba
07-13-09, 10:28 PM
Our theaters look good on paper (big screens, stadium seating, digital projection) but they actually suck. The screens have marks on them, the clocks shine brightly onto the screens, the screens in the digital auditorium have a weird texture to them (reminds me of a high gain screen), and the seats are horrible. Sometimes they play the movie in the wrong aspect ratio!

I prefer my 7.1 136" 2.35 scope experience at home. The only reason I go to the theater is because I don't want to wait for certain movies to come out on Blu-ray.

wendersfan
07-13-09, 10:28 PM
Could a moderator remove the second "Poll:" from the subject line? I did not realize the polling feature would add one as well. Thanks.Done.

The cinema. Nothing else will ever compare.

invisiblegt
07-13-09, 10:49 PM
I see, on average, between one hundred and one hundred-fifty films (or so) in theaters per year. While I do enjoy watching movies in my home, and watch a few a week, nothing can compare going to the theater.

I almost always go to matinee viewings, so my cost, as well as my exposure to any tenuous elements, is limited.

antspawn
07-13-09, 11:21 PM
I'll take home over theater anyday. I rather be in my house quietly watching a movie than with a bunch of animals munching on popcorn, pulling out bright cell phones and whispering. Not to mention crying babies. Many theaters suck.

Draven
07-14-09, 12:48 AM
I see, on average, between one hundred and one hundred-fifty films (or so) in theaters per year. While I do enjoy watching movies in my home, and watch a few a week, nothing can compare going to the theater.

I almost always go to matinee viewings, so my cost, as well as my exposure to any tenuous elements, is limited.

That is a lot of money for what has to be at least some terrible movies.

Solid Snake
07-14-09, 01:00 AM
that has to be at least 700 bucks per year. That's too much for my taste.

TimeandTide
07-14-09, 01:22 AM
Theater.

Saw The Hangover a couple of weeks ago and had a blast, in part due to the energy and laughter of the crowd.

Wolf359
07-14-09, 01:24 AM
I'm another that used to go at least once a week but now only go for the big, event type movies.

Cost is one factor, general movie behavior is the other biggie. I know that being at home no matter how fancy a screen you have could replicate the experience of sitting in the dark with a hundred strangers, but unfortunately now most of those strangers are talking and texting.

SPiRAL
07-14-09, 01:52 AM
Theater.

I'll occasionally skip films that I have some interest in seeing, because I enjoy watching new(er) movies on my set up, but anything I'm really interested in I go see in a theater opening weekend. Nothing beats that experience, assuming there aren't people there to ruin it for you.

Same.

wvtechs
07-14-09, 05:10 AM
I wonder if some theatre-shunners are simply extremely high-strung and misanthropic and should stay home.

It is true that some of us do have misanthropic (marked by a hatred or contempt for humankind) tendencies but given the experiences that many of us have had while simply trying to enjoy a movie, it is completely understandable.

The way I see it - if you wanted to text, or talk to your friends, or deal with a crying baby...why did you pay $10 to do it? It's inconsiderate, and I end up spending a lot of time thinking about how rude these people and not always paying 100% attention to the movie.

So I see movies in the theater because I hate waiting and running the risk of catching a spoiler online, but I hate the experience because in nearly every movie I've been to in the last 5 years, someone in there does something that pisses me off.

This closely resembles nearly every theater experience I had prior to my decision to just stay home and wait for the DVD release. Don't get me wrong, I love the big screen but the hassle of it all was just too stressful for me to enjoy the movie. Seriously, I actually skipped going to the theater to see the new Star Trek movie because the the thought of having to deal with it all gave me a headache. It just isn't worth it to me.

ANNOYANCES:
1. Cell Phones
2. Babies
3. Talking
4. Kicking
5. Tapping
6. Munching
7. Playing music
8. Playing games
9. Having sex (yes it happened)
10. Getting up during the movie

Why not a poll option for "both"?

I considered it but thought it might be more interesting if is was boolean question because it would force the user to choose which one was more important to them. Giving an option of "Both" would have been way too easy.

Bandit03
07-14-09, 09:33 AM
I prefer movies at home, but there is something special about a movie theater that a home movie cant capture. That said, I only go to a movie theater a few times a year for the big releases (i.e. Dark Knight, Transformers 2, Star Trek, etc.) and even then I go to the Imax theater if possible.

Indy Jones Fan
07-14-09, 09:36 AM
that has to be at least 700 bucks per year. That's too much for my taste.
I see as many movies as invisiblegt and 50-60% of mine are free via preview screenings and yes, alot of them are bad. I'd say 60% are just mediocre, 25% are horrible and the last 15% are good to great.

Giles
07-14-09, 09:46 AM
I'll take home over theater anyday. I rather be in my house quietly watching a movie than with a bunch of animals munching on popcorn, pulling out bright cell phones and whispering. Not to mention crying babies. Many theaters suck.

this is why I go to matinee movies, less people is good.

RichC2
07-14-09, 09:52 AM
Depends on the movie. Comedies, Thrillers and Horror movies I like better at the theater due to audience reaction. Save for my most recent trip, it has been years since somebody was disruptive at a theater I've been in. Grindhouse wouldn't have been the same sitting at home.

Also big action flicks on the big DLP or IMAX or IMAX-lite rock. It sucks so many people have bad experiences but I'm glad mine have mostly been great. Plus despite having a fairly decent setup of my own (106" DLP Mitsu projector on a High Power (glass beaded?) screen), stuff like Star Trek just wouldn't be the same.

Midnight screenings are usually the best imo, especially opening night since the people there are people who actually WANT to be there.

I like keeping tabs on the walkouts as well, it's always a good novelty. The last movie I saw in theaters was Bruno, a woman walked out with her two daughters right after the spinning penis sequence. I chuckled.

Brian Shannon
07-14-09, 10:00 AM
My home

orangecrush
07-14-09, 10:25 AM
I definatly think the theater is a much better experience (even taking into account the selfish people). However, due to costs (time and money) I see very few films in the theater any more.

candyrocket786
07-14-09, 12:17 PM
Depends on the film or event for me. If it's some type of epic sci-fi, action or fantasy flick (with a possible IMAX or 3-D option) then I may consider a theatrical viewing within two-weeks of the release date. Otherwise, it's wait for the DVD or Blu-ray.

So far this method has save me a pretty good chunk of change so I can expand my film collection and upgrade my HT components. :D

To date, the LOTR Trilogy still ranks as the best theatrical experience I've ever had.

cpgator
07-14-09, 12:36 PM
I might go to the theater once a year. Just not worth it for all the same reasons already mentioned. Mostly because people suck.

I am extremely content waiting and watching the movie at home.

Troy Stiffler
07-14-09, 12:45 PM
Theater. Things are weird sometimes (people yelling at each other, crying babies during Bruno, etc.). But people get way too bent out of shape over the glow of a cell phone and stuff.

Plus, I hate being at 'home' and would get rid of it if I could.

zombeaner
07-14-09, 02:04 PM
I think a lively audience can be of great help. The most fun I've had in a theater recently was watching Drag Me To Hell where everyone seemed to be on the same page and loving it, it certainly adds to the enjoyment. I don't want to sit in a silent room at a movie like that.

Numanoid
07-14-09, 02:28 PM
To me, there is simply no comparison to seeing a movie in the theater. Even if you have a top-of-the-line home theater system, or real projectors at your house, it's still not the same.I strongly disagree. I'd say that 7 or 8 times out of 10, I'm disappointed at the presentation at the theater, usually in the audio department, though not always. Not loud enough, not enough bass, no surround sound, etc. The very few times a year I go to the theater, I'm always dreading the opening credits, waiting to find out just what the presentation will be lacking this time.

Nope. Life in front of my 125.5" 1080p projection with 7.1 surround is completely sweet. The real clincher is that most films are MADE for home video now. The theatrical presentation is normally truncated in some way.

bunkaroo
07-14-09, 03:19 PM
Still go to the theater to see "event" movies or stuff I can't wait to see, but I am more and more waiting for the BD given it will look and sound better than most of the theatrical presentations I've seen and I see it in the comfort of my own HT.

wvtechs
07-14-09, 03:47 PM
Waiting to watch the movie at home has another advantage. You get to read reviews and see if the movie tanked at the theaters rather than taking the risk of going in blind with little more than a hyped up trailer to go on.

Ginwen
07-14-09, 04:33 PM
Theater. It makes it more of an event. Watching a movie at home even if I had an actual theater in my house is just spending the night home at home (as opposed to a night out).

Blu Man
07-14-09, 05:43 PM
The real clincher is that most films are MADE for home video now. The theatrical presentation is normally truncated in some way.

Yeah, your right. Christopher Nolan wants you to watch "The Dark Knight" on a small HD screen with fairly low resolution as aposed to IMAX or DLP or even 35mm. Your correct, film makers want you to see there work on smaller screens at lower resolutions. Thats why Chris filmed with IMAX, so it could later be lowered to a relativly low resolution on a small screen. WHAT YOU SEE IN THE THEATER IS ALMOST ALWAYS WHAT THE DIRECTOR WANTS YOU TO SEE. IF IT WASN'T HE WOULD NOT HAVE RELEASED IT. UNLESS IT'S A TV MOVIE, IT IS NOT MADE FOR THE HOME. IF IT WAS, THEY WOULDN'T SPEND ALL THIS MONEY FOR IMAX AND 35MM CAMERAS. THERE WOULD BE NO POINT IN HIGH RESOLUTION CAMERAS IF WHAT YOU SAY WAS TRUE.

The Bus
07-14-09, 06:04 PM

Not every person sees all their films in the local multiplex. Perhaps he sees favorites more than once, or has access to an art house theater. Or (even better) has access to a theater that shows older films.

The Bus
07-14-09, 06:05 PM
I strongly disagree. I'd say that 7 or 8 times out of 10, I'm disappointed at the presentation at the theater, usually in the audio department, though not always. Not loud enough, not enough bass, no surround sound, etc. The very few times a year I go to the theater, I'm always dreading the opening credits, waiting to find out just what the presentation will be lacking this time.

Nope. Life in front of my 125.5" 1080p projection with 7.1 surround is completely sweet. The real clincher is that most films are MADE for home video now. The theatrical presentation is normally truncated in some way.

All this tells me is that you've got a real shitty theater.

The Bus
07-14-09, 06:10 PM
It's kind of sad that so many people hate the theater here. I guess it's a limitation of options. Depending on the time and film, I can usually have a very good experience at a local Regal Cinema. Anytime there's been a technical flaw, I've always gotten my money back. The last time there was a truly disruptive audience member, I think was for Dark Water, which gives you an idea of how long ago that was.

I wonder if people answering "home" would answer the same way if they had a <a href="http://www.landmarktheatres.com/Market/Philadelphia/Philadelphia_Frameset.htm">Ritz</a> or a <a href="http://www.bam.org/view.aspx?pid=6&g=82">BAM</a> or a <a href="http://www.filmforum.org/">Film Forum</a> nearby.

Numanoid
07-14-09, 06:24 PM
And I wonder how many answering "theater" have a kick-ass home theater setup.

The Bus
07-14-09, 06:25 PM
And I wonder how many answering "theater" have a kick-ass home theater setup.

Invite me to your home IMAX.

Numanoid
07-14-09, 06:32 PM
Yeah, your right. Christopher Nolan wants you to watch "The Dark Knight" on a small HD screen with fairly low resolution as aposed to IMAX or DLP or even 35mm. Your correct, film makers want you to see there work on smaller screens at lower resolutions. Thats why Chris filmed with IMAX, so it could later be lowered to a relativly low resolution on a small screen. WHAT YOU SEE IN THE THEATER IS ALMOST ALWAYS WHAT THE DIRECTOR WANTS YOU TO SEE. IF IT WASN'T HE WOULD NOT HAVE RELEASED IT. UNLESS IT'S A TV MOVIE, IT IS NOT MADE FOR THE HOME. IF IT WAS, THEY WOULDN'T SPEND ALL THIS MONEY FOR IMAX AND 35MM CAMERAS. THERE WOULD BE NO POINT IN HIGH RESOLUTION CAMERAS IF WHAT YOU SAY WAS TRUE.Settle down. :lol:

Take a look at the major releases of the last five years. Now look at how many of them are issued as "Director's Cut"s or "Extended Cut"s or "Unrated Edition"s when released on home video. Most movies make more money on home video than they do during their box office run. The home video market is the primary market. Theatrical runs are becoming nothing more than beta tests and teasers.

Also, you have a lot to learn about the movie biz. Movie PRODUCERS often force the director to cut the film down to a suitable running time in order to get more viewings per day. VERY VERY FEW directors have final cut approval on their films.

Numanoid
07-14-09, 06:37 PM
Invite me to your home IMAX.Invite me to the theater when you don't have to juggle several variables in order to hope that you get a decent experience. :p

Blu Man
07-14-09, 06:56 PM
Settle down. :lol:

Take a look at the major releases of the last five years. Now look at how many of them are issued as "Director's Cut"s or "Extended Cut"s or "Unrated Edition"s when released on home video. Most movies make more money on home video than they do during their box office run. The home video market is the primary market. Theatrical runs are becoming nothing more than beta tests and teasers.

Also, you have a lot to learn about the movie biz. Movie PRODUCERS often force the director to cut the film down to a suitable running time in order to get more viewings per day. VERY VERY FEW directors have final cut approval on their films.

Still, I disagree. So you telling me that "The Dark Knight" and "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" are going to make another billion when there released on DVD and Blu Ray? That's interesting. A movies success has always been measured by how well they do at the box office. There are some exeptions but not many. So, James Cameron would prefer you to see "Avatar" in 2D on a small screen at your house as opposed to a big screen in 3D? Lets face it, Christopher Nolan wouldn't have used IMAX cameras if he was thinking about the Blu Ray release before the cinema release, and James Cameron wouldn't have filmed "Avatar" in 3D if he was thinking about the Blu Ray release either. MOST directors worry about the theatrical release, and then they move onto the Blu Ray/DVD. No experience at your home theater can defeat a good theater. Unless you have a 8 story screen and IMAX projector and sound system that your not telling us about.

dtcarson
07-14-09, 07:09 PM
I'm surprised anyone is arguing that home theater always beats movie theater. I certainly agree, unless you're Daddy Warbucks, home theater wil always be less than a good home theater experience. But there's so many factors going into a "good" theater experience that are potentially out of someone's control that the convenience, cost (once you get past the initial outlay) and accessibility of home theater has a big advantage.

I have never had a bad experience at a theater (excepting seeing crappy movies), but I've had plenty of suboptimal ones.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but my home DVDs also usually have captions or subtitles which sometimes make it easier to follow some dialog.

Blu Man
07-14-09, 08:13 PM
Not sure if this was mentioned, but my home DVDs also usually have captions or subtitles which sometimes make it easier to follow some dialog.

You have got to be joking.

wvtechs
07-14-09, 08:32 PM
For many of us, the pitfalls of going to a theater and having to deal with all the hassles negate any benefits that theater may have to offer.

Superior sound, picture, screen-size, IMAX, etc... can only get you so far when you factor in everything involved. A home theater system or just a plain old TV may not be the best but it does offer something that a theater could never give you... A controlled environment.

Numanoid
07-14-09, 08:44 PM
Still, I disagree. So you telling me that "The Dark Knight" and "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" are going to make another billion when there released on DVD and Blu Ray? That's interesting. A movies success has always been measured by how well they do at the box office. There are some exeptions but not many. So, James Cameron would prefer you to see "Avatar" in 2D on a small screen at your house as opposed to a big screen in 3D? Lets face it, Christopher Nolan wouldn't have used IMAX cameras if he was thinking about the Blu Ray release before the cinema release, and James Cameron wouldn't have filmed "Avatar" in 3D if he was thinking about the Blu Ray release either. MOST directors worry about the theatrical release, and then they move onto the Blu Ray/DVD. No experience at your home theater can defeat a good theater. Unless you have a 8 story screen and IMAX projector and sound system that your not telling us about.Apparently you only go the theater for summer blockbusters. I'll agree...if that's all you're interested in, the theater experience is probably better than home.

Then again, the IMAX portions of TDK look fantastic on my screen...and fill my field of vision as much as sitting in the middle to back rows of the theater.

dtcarson
07-14-09, 08:49 PM
You have got to be joking.

No, I'm not, they do. Says right there on the case. Some have captions *and* subtitles. Best of both worlds, there.

Seriously--I'm not "hearing impaired" but sometimes I miss things. Not enough to want to take an Assisted Listening device when someone who really needs it could use it, but enough that sometimes I do miss dialog. Especially if the sound isn't mixed right in the theater.

So: The perfect movie theater beats home theater. No contest. But the 'average' home theater experience, all things considered, beats the 'average' movie theater experience in my opinion. And with a home theater experience, once you make the investment, having that experience more often is very simple and convenient.

Numanoid
07-14-09, 09:19 PM
So: The perfect movie theater beats home theater. No contest. But the 'average' home theater experience, all things considered, beats the 'average' movie theater experience in my opinion. Well put.

Exactly why I go to the theater two or three nights a year, yet spend countless nights in my own.

cpgator
07-14-09, 09:23 PM
For many of us, the pitfalls of going to a theater and having to deal with all the hassles negate any benefits that theater may have to offer.

Superior sound, picture, screen-size, IMAX, etc... can only get you so far when you factor in everything involved. A home theater system or just a plain old TV may not be the best but it does offer something that a theater could never give you... A controlled environment.

This. A great theater can quickly be ruined by annoying people. I dont' have the problem at home. Plus at home, I get the best seat so it looks and sounds great.

If i want to hang out with loud teenagers, i will go to the theater. If i want to enjoy the movie, i stay home.

Blu Man
07-14-09, 11:42 PM
Apparently you only go the theater for summer blockbusters. I'll agree...if that's all you're interested in, the theater experience is probably better than home.

Then again, the IMAX portions of TDK look fantastic on my screen...and fill my field of vision as much as sitting in the middle to back rows of the theater.

Meh, most of the time. I do go to some other movies at the theater, but not a lot. I've seen 14 movies at the theater this year and most are blockbusters. But honestly, you can't compare a 1080p projector with a, what 120 inch screen?, to 70mm film projected on to a 8 stories high screen. You just can't. You can't even compare Blu Ray to 35mm film and DLP. Theres just no contest.

wvtechs
07-15-09, 07:50 PM
If i want to hang out with loud teenagers, i will go to the theater. If i want to enjoy the movie, i stay home.

Exactly.

wvtechs
07-17-09, 03:02 PM
It looks like the homebodies are winning by a significant margin. I 'm surprised because I honestly thought it would be the other way around. Interesting.

spainlinx0
07-17-09, 04:04 PM
I expected the result. There are a lot of "annoying people at the theater" threads.

Blu Man
07-17-09, 04:37 PM
It looks like the homebodies are winning by a significant margin. I 'm surprised because I honestly thought it would be the other way around. Interesting.

I'm not. This site is called "DVDtalk", and DVD was the best way to watch a movie at home when this site was created. The sites not called "Cinematalk", and if it was I bet most people on the site would prefer the theater.

gimmepilotwings
07-17-09, 05:09 PM
The biggest knock between theatre vs home for me is price. The price for two tickets easily costs more than the Bluray when you shop around. I will see 1-3 movies a year in the theatre.

DthRdrX
07-17-09, 05:35 PM
Invite me to your home IMAX.

I personally don't really like Imax. I enjoy going to Cinemark instead as the screen isn't too big, or I can sit back further, for my preference of viewing.

With few exceptions, I'll take my home theater over going out. It doesn't take much money these days to put together a quality system.

Giles
07-17-09, 05:52 PM
I swear if I see one more 35mm film at Landmark E Street that doesn't fuck up at some point during the film - the framing went crazy during this afternoon's screening of 'Tokyo Sonata' - I had to get up and complain since it didn't seem to bother anyone else - this is where faults like these don't occur with DLP (although there is the occasional bug in digital too - but less so).

wvtechs
07-17-09, 05:57 PM
I'm not. This site is called "DVDtalk", and DVD was the best way to watch a movie at home when this site was created. The sites not called "Cinematalk", and if it was I bet most people on the site would prefer the theater.

Keep in mind that with the exception of some titles that are released directly to DVD (or Blu-ray), most movies are shown in the theaters first which is why I thought the poll would have been reversed, despite preferring to watch movies at home myself.

wirefan
07-17-09, 06:21 PM
As others have pointed out, comedies are the one genre that I think gains a lot from the movie going experience (so long as you don't have truly obnoxious people around you). I also go to matinees largely for price and audience reasons if I want to see something in theaters and not wait for DVD; the exception being comedies and true blockbuster movies (which I will go to during primetime).

I do generally prefer home theater and usually can wait as the release time between theater and DVD is now relatively short. When you factor in convenience, comfort, the ability to eat and drink whatever you want, and the controlled environment to name just a few things - I'm not surprised at all by the poll results.

But honestly, you can't compare a 1080p projector with a, what 120 inch screen?, to 70mm film projected on to a 8 stories high screen. You just can't.

8 stories high? Basically a screen taller than most mid sized-office buildings? Not too many theaters with that size of a screen around me. So I guess you're (not your) right - some folks can't compare it.

Blu Man
07-17-09, 06:25 PM
As others have pointed out, comedies are the one genre that I think gains a lot from the movie going experience (so long as you don't have truly obnoxious people around you). I also go to matinees largely for price and audience reasons if I want to see something in theaters and not wait for DVD; the exception being comedies and true blockbuster movies (which I will go to during primetime).

I do generally prefer home theater and usually can wait as the release time between theater and DVD is now relatively short. When you factor in convenience, comfort, the ability to eat and drink whatever you want, and the controlled environment to name just a few things - I'm not surprised at all by the poll results.

8 stories high? Basically a screen taller than most mid sized-office buildings? Not too many theaters with that size of a screen around me. So I guess you're (not your) right - some folks can't compare it.

I was thinking of IMAX, not a normal 35mm or DLP theater.

wvtechs
07-17-09, 06:32 PM
I was thinking of IMAX, not a normal 35mm or DLP theater.

I think he was trying to say that most of us do not live within a reasonable distance of an IMAX theater. Sure, IMAX is great and all but size isn't everything. Especially when the same factors are applied to the overall experience. In other words, annoying people that ruin the theater experience and turn it into a nightmare.

Come to think of it, I should not have been surprised that more people liked to wait and watch a movie at home. I guess I was just surprised that so many people would make what I thought was a reasonable judgement.

EdTheRipper
07-17-09, 06:40 PM
I love seeing stuff at the theater but it's tough to get out because of my son. Typically, the wife and I will see the occasional matinee during the school year. When he's out of school, it doesn't happen.

DVD Guy ATL
07-17-09, 06:56 PM
Not sure if this was mentioned, but my home DVDs also usually have captions or subtitles which sometimes make it easier to follow some dialog.I also consider captions to be a valuable feature, especially with English language films that feature strong accents such as Cockney.

There is also something to be said for the ability to rewind a bit during foreign language films, where there is often a lot to absorb factoring in the subtitles.

Blu Man
07-17-09, 07:20 PM
I think he was trying to say that most of us do not live within a reasonable distance of an IMAX theater. Sure, IMAX is great and all but size isn't everything. Especially when the same factors are applied to the overall experience. In other words, annoying people that ruin the theater experience and turn it into a nightmare.

Come to think of it, I should not have been surprised that more people liked to wait and watch a movie at home. I guess I was just surprised that so many people would make what I thought was a reasonable judgement.

I don't have a real IMAX theater in my state. Well, we have one but it only shows aviation films, then we have a dome IMAX which only shows nature films, and we have one digital IMAX which shows movies, but it's digital so the screen isn't much larger then my city's largest theater. But, when I do go to IMAX, I am constantly amazed. Nothing can beat it.

But, it can give you a crazy head ache sometimes, so sometimes I prefer 35mm and DLP.

Ranger
07-18-09, 01:42 AM
I voted home, but I still very much enjoy the theater - love the big screen, loud audio, new movie posters with lighted frames, free popcorn refills. But i make an effort to go early in the day to avoid paying the higher prices and rowdy crowds. I also rarely go on opening weekend. Even then, I still sometimes get a packed theater room with a lot of people constantly stomping the stairs. I hate how there seems to be an endless line of trailers for movies I don't care for.

Trevor
07-18-09, 05:48 PM
I go to the theater a few times a week, but I guess I prefer home, for cost and convenience reasons.

As far as the "experience" goes, I'm a firm believer in the story being much more important than any AV quality concerns.

5" black and white TV with VHS tape, versus state-of-the-art IMAX theater? No difference. As long as the story is good, I get immersed just the same.

JimRochester
07-18-09, 06:59 PM
Although I detest the talking and texting in theaters, there is no substitute for the big screen and an industrial size popcorn with a $6 diet coke. That's livin !!

Comedies are still best with an audience. The laughter is contagious.

Blu Man
07-18-09, 07:04 PM
I go to the theater a few times a week, but I guess I prefer home, for cost and convenience reasons.

As far as the "experience" goes, I'm a firm believer in the story being much more important than any AV quality concerns.

5" black and white TV with VHS tape, versus state-of-the-art IMAX theater? No difference. As long as the story is good, I get immersed just the same.

Are you serious? You don't care whether you watch a movie on a black and white tv or an IMAX theater? That's a little much.

Coral
07-18-09, 07:08 PM
Home for me as well... for all the reasons mentioned already.

Sure the audio/video is better at movie theatres, but it doesn't make up for all the other things that detract from the movie viewing experience... and the audio/video in my HT is still quite good anyways. I don't feel like I'm missing anything - in fact, I'm gaining so much more.

Home Theatre advantages/conveniences > Movie Theatre Audio/Video

Trevor
07-18-09, 07:42 PM
Are you serious? You don't care whether you watch a movie on a black and white tv or an IMAX theater? That's a little much.
Completely serious.

But then, I prefer films that can do more than just entertain. Although I do enjoy my share of mindless Hollywood fluff like Jurassic Park.

Blu Man
07-18-09, 08:31 PM
Although I do enjoy my share of mindless Hollywood fluff like Jurassic Park.

Ha! Your a funny man Mr. Monk.

Trevor
07-18-09, 08:47 PM
Ha! Your a funny man Mr. Monk.
Looks aren't everything.

My earlier comment wasn't meant to sound pretentious by the way. Watching movies mainly for entertainment is perfectly fine, and the "film can be art" camp is no better than the Hollywood fluff fans. I straddle both camps, but poke fun at the latter more often.

Quake1028
07-18-09, 09:11 PM
It depends totally on the movie and how jacked up I am to see it.

wvtechs
07-18-09, 11:03 PM
And one the biggest advantage of watching a movie at home is... the pause button, for bathroom breaks and beer runs.

innocentfreak
07-24-09, 02:26 AM
I have gone from being pretty much seeing everything in the theater to almost seeing nothing in the theater. I can't even remember the last movie I saw in the theater.

As prices went up I went from seeing 4 movies a weekend to 1 a week to 1 every 4 months or so. It is just cheaper and easier to wait for Netflix. Locally student prices are only offered on one day now, matinee costs the same as evening and I think tickets are up to $8. At that price it just isn't worth the hassle.

Abe.
07-24-09, 03:24 AM
I avoid going to the theater at all costs. Crowds annoy me way too much these days. If a film is projected wrong, or if the sound is off, I'll just focus on all those faults though out the entire film.

My home theater set-up isn't that impressive with only 5.1 surround and a 73" DLP, but it's enough to keep me happy and away from annoying crowds.

calhoun07
07-24-09, 03:27 AM
No "depends" option?

For most movies, first week out, I prefer to wait. For most movies, however, if I wait, then I just wait for the DVD to come out.

For the few movies I have seen recently, I went during the day and the experience was great both times. I recently saw Up and Moon. At the screening of Up, it was just me and the person I saw the movie with in the theater, and it was well worth going to see that movie in digital 3-D because the old fashioned red/blue 3-D they put on the home video release inevitably SUCKS.

And when I saw Moon, maybe three or four people were in each row, on average, and nobody made a sound. The quietest audience I ever seen a movie with. And the movie was well worth seeing on the big screen.

Sometimes seeing a movie in a theater can be a rewarding experience if you know when to go.

Abe.
07-24-09, 03:33 AM
To this day, I have never seen a movie in 3D during a theatrical exhibition. I really wanted to see UP, but couldn't get passed the idea of seeing a movie with a ton of kids in the theater. Oh well. I am planning on seeing The Final Destination, so that might be my first 3D experience.

Can't miss Halloween 2, though... I'll kill anyone that ruins that movie in a theater ;P

writer106
07-25-09, 07:42 PM
I go to the theater once or twice a month. I try to go on Sunday afternoons or during the week when it's more quiet.

DthRdrX
07-25-09, 08:10 PM
Although I detest the talking and texting in theaters, there is no substitute for the big screen and an industrial size popcorn with a $6 diet coke. That's livin !!

Comedies are still best with an audience. The laughter is contagious.

I've said this before in other threads but I don't care if you prefer watching movies on a large screen in your home or on a small 12 inch TV. I am certain about one thing ...

Buy yourself a real popcorn machine (yes, even the $200 ones) and you'll never want theater popcorn again. All of my friends have blamed me for ruining movie theater popcorn for them. Of all the money I've pumped into my home theater the popcorn machine is always the favorite item.

amplified
07-26-09, 02:13 PM
I too wish both was an option. I hardly ever make it to the theater anymore but watching films on the big screen with large crowds is hard to duplicate at home. Yet having peace and quiet in controlled settings at home has it's advantages as well.

calhoun07
07-26-09, 02:23 PM
To this day, I have never seen a movie in 3D during a theatrical exhibition. I really wanted to see UP, but couldn't get passed the idea of seeing a movie with a ton of kids in the theater. Oh well. I am planning on seeing The Final Destination, so that might be my first 3D experience.

Can't miss Halloween 2, though... I'll kill anyone that ruins that movie in a theater ;P

The tip to seeing a movie like Up is wait a couple weeks for The Next Big Kid Event Movie to be released. When I saw it, all the brats were watching Harry Potter. This week I am thinking of seeing Harry Potter now all the brats are at G-Force.

I've seen MANY movies geared towards kids in the theater and rarely have a ton of kids in the theater to ruin it for me, because I wait.

gotrice487
07-26-09, 02:35 PM
Honestly I pretty much just wait until the movie comes out on DVD as I have given up on theatres

JimRochester
07-26-09, 06:25 PM
The tip to seeing a movie like Up is wait a couple weeks for The Next Big Kid Event Movie to be released. When I saw it, all the brats were watching Harry Potter. This week I am thinking of seeing Harry Potter now all the brats are at G-Force.

I've seen MANY movies geared towards kids in the theater and rarely have a ton of kids in the theater to ruin it for me, because I wait.

I think I've had more problems with adults being jerkwads at movies than kids.

Neeb
07-27-09, 12:01 AM
The best response for me is: "Which theater?"
If you say the Seattle Cinerama or Arclight Dome or Mann Village, theater wins EVERY TIME.
If you say... local Regal plex or AMC box collection... home looks really good.

innocentfreak
08-04-09, 02:06 PM
I just found another reason to watch from home.

My local Muvico which is the closest decent theater decided to replace their floor lighting. The idiots installed these extremely bright LEDs which not only light up the walkways but point straight out so it is like someone sitting on either side of you with a laser pointer pointing at your head. On top of that they polished the floor since they leave the lights on now during the previews so when the lights go out the LEDs reflect off the floor. After the previews I made it 5 minutes into the movie before I asked for a refund when they told me they are new and no they don't dim. I was starting to get a headache from them and I am not even sensitive to bright light.