DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Bruno vs. Borat

hapgilmore
07-13-09, 01:00 PM
I never really cared for Borat but thought Bruno was great. I am sure I will be in the minority of this poll.

fumanstan
07-13-09, 01:15 PM
Definitely Borat.

The Bus
07-13-09, 01:54 PM
Borat was the better film. Overall, it was just a lot more unexpectedly clever. Bruno has better pacing, and is hilarious, but is not as smart as its predecessor.

Both are very enjoyable films.

Blu Man
07-13-09, 07:26 PM
Haven't seen Bruno yet so I can't vote, but I loved Borat.

mattressman
07-13-09, 08:42 PM
I think Borat was a bit better, but I'm pretty sure I laughed harder during Brüno. Went with Borat.

Crocker Jarmen
07-14-09, 12:17 AM
I enjoyed both movies, and leaving the theater after Bruno I felt it was a superior movie. I wonder though what my assesment will be in a couple of years. As I've watched Borat a few times over the last couple of years it's possible I thought Bruno was better because it was new.

E. Honda
07-14-09, 12:48 AM
Bruno is hands down, the worst movie I have ever seen. It's inexcusable. Ten years ago, someone making a film like this would be blacklisted right out of the industry. Borat was funny, and I enjoyed it overall. But Bruno is the cinematic equivalent of being gang-raped in a prison shower. Is there really any need for this kind of absolute garbage in Hollywood today? Has America fallen so low, that it needs a giant talking penis dancing and swinging around on its movie screens, just to feel entertained? Low-brow humor has its place. but Bruno is so low, it's of the 'licking vomit out of the gutter' variety. Sacha Cohen has given America the finger, and shoved it up our collective asses.

dsa_shea
07-30-09, 08:44 PM
Can't wait for Bruno to hit Dvd & Blu-Ray. I did see a listed date of September 30th on one online retailer site but haven't found that date anywhere else so I don't believe it just yet. As far as the two movies go I think that Borat is slightly better but damn if Bruno isn't funny as hell. Now I'm off to commit Carbicide.

project86
07-30-09, 10:39 PM
Borat is my choice. I laughed a few times at Bruno, but there was way too much scripted humor. Borat was hilarious just because of the innocence of everyone he was fooling around with. Bruno was more just mean spirited and awkward. The scene with the TV show he made in the movie had me rolling though.

My Other Self
07-30-09, 11:19 PM
I was going to try and catch Bruno this weekend but it already left all the theaters here! Talk about turnaround. Borat was out for nearly 2 months.

BrewCrew
07-30-09, 11:25 PM
I really didn't like Bruno much at all because the character was so unlikeable. Borat was hilarious when I saw it in the theatre and have not seen it since.

Moleman1138
07-30-09, 11:53 PM
I thought Bruno was one of the worst movies of the year. Borat was one of the best in 06. Nothing can beat naked wrestling fight.

atlantamoi
07-31-09, 05:33 AM
Borat was much funnier than Bruno. Not even close.

matome
07-31-09, 08:50 AM
^what he said

hapgilmore
07-31-09, 10:13 AM
I thought Bruno was one of the worst movies of the year. Borat was one of the best in 06. Nothing can beat naked wrestling fight.

Fortune teller scene in Bruno clearly beats it.

emachine
07-31-09, 03:39 PM
Borat is a good movie, Bruno is not. Easy choice for me.

Quake1028
07-31-09, 05:07 PM
Borat, but I really liked Bruno and will buy it on Blu-ray.

Maxflier
08-01-09, 07:25 PM
Borat was much funnier than Bruno. Not even close.

^This.
Bruno had some really funny moments, but a lot of it was hit or miss. But then Bruno is the weakest of his 3 characters IMO. I saw it today and for the small audience that was there, 3 different groups of people walked out. One group walked out about 10 minutes into the movie.

Fortune teller scene in Bruno clearly beats it.

Definately. The naked wrestling scene is my least favorite part of Borat. I guess it is good for cheap laughs from some people, but I found no humor in it and thought it was out of place in the movie. Wish that scene would have been left out, it's just dumb.

Troy Stiffler
08-02-09, 12:56 AM
Borat is a lovable character. Borat is often polite, usually likable, a bit confrontational. Saw it after Bruno, and thought it was rather tame in comparison. It's just an 'in good fun' movie.

Bruno isn't very likable. He just seemed more intent on being a jerk. And I thought it was much more confrontational and determined to make a point. Much more outragous.

Here's a point... In Borat, the homosexuals are represented as one of the more welcoming folks (along with 'the black kids in the bad neighborhood). In Bruno, he is just kind of ... well, a jerk. A guy obsessed with crazy fetishes and whatnot. I just wish it had a message somewhere, that, you know, homosexuals aren't all assholes (yea yea yea, I know).

Both are very, very funny.

I won't vote.

dsa_shea
08-02-09, 03:08 PM
Rather than stating by his character (Bruno) that Homosexuals are assholes he is being more representative of those that work in the fashion industry.

Troy Stiffler
08-02-09, 11:19 PM
Rather than stating by his character (Bruno) that Homosexuals are assholes he is being more representative of those that work in the fashion industry.

Point taken. But I think Bruno pushes the 'gay' stuff a lot more than the 'fashion industry' stuff.

RoyalTea
11-19-09, 12:27 AM
I loved Borat. Bruno approached "Freddy got fingered" levels of horrible.

Other than Ron Paul, was anybody else that Bruno interacted with NOT an obvious actor?

newginafets
11-19-09, 07:38 AM
I think Borat was a bit better, but I'm pretty sure I laughed harder during Brüno. Went with Borat.

Laughed harder during Bruno, went with Bruno. That's the point.

hardercore
11-19-09, 07:45 AM
it was only a matter of time, wasn't it?

for what it's worth, borat was a far, far better film.

The Bus
11-19-09, 11:59 AM

Other than Ron Paul, was anybody else that Bruno interacted with NOT an obvious actor?

The parents hawking their children. That remains one of the most chilling and depressing moments of cinema this decade.

scarface983
11-19-09, 01:10 PM
i think borat was better, he was much funnier there. bruno was ok but not as funny as borat

whotony
11-21-09, 10:55 PM
The parents hawking their children. That remains one of the most chilling and depressing moments of cinema this decade.
I thought that was the only truly good part of this movie.
A movie that was full of jaw dropping episodes including the stuff with the parents.
The rest of the film (besides the parents) was just shock for shocking us sake and nothing else.

Gdrlv
11-21-09, 11:14 PM

Paula Abdul. That reality show contestant. Harrison Ford.

antspawn
11-22-09, 02:30 AM
Funny how one does not hear about Bruno anymore.

Borat lasted longer.

Borat also caused big controversy. Bruno never did that.

Borat for the win.

PopcornTreeCt
11-22-09, 12:44 PM
Bruno was like 90 minutes of the worst scene in Borat (where he and the fat guy are chasing each other naked through the hotel).

Not even a close comparison.

OldBoy
11-22-09, 06:34 PM
the penis dance was a little much, but the tip miming "Bruno" was inspired. the rest of the movie had a couple chuckles, but seemed all set up and un-real as compared to Borat.