DVD Talk
Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2011) - Katie Holmes, Guy Pearce [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2011) - Katie Holmes, Guy Pearce

The Infidel
07-11-09, 03:48 PM
The 1973 movie scared the crap out of me as a kid. Apparently they're remaking this to be out in 2011. Comic book artist/writer Troy Nixey is directing, and Guillermo del Toro is producing. Katie Holmes and Guy Pearce are starring, but the part of Sally (the daughter who discovers the creatures in the house) is going to Bridge to Terabithia's Bailee Madison, who is younger in this part than Kim Darby was in the original (Darby was in her mid 20's at the time, Madison is currently 9 years old).

Opinions about this remake?

islandclaws
07-11-09, 04:25 PM
Hmmm... love Pearce, hate Holmes, love del Toro.

Never saw the original, but this sounds like it could be cool. Hell, I'll watch just about anything Guillermo is involved with so consider me intrigued.

heebiejeebie
07-11-09, 06:16 PM
One good thing that comes out of remakes (doesn't matter if they're good or bad) is that there's usually a new dvd of the original. In this case it would be the first dvd release for the original Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark.

whotony
07-11-09, 07:41 PM
any links to info on this remake?

The Infidel
07-11-09, 07:45 PM
www.readthefirstpost.com

Just kidding.

I couldn't find much about the remake other than what IMDB has posted. In looking up information about the original movie, though, it looks like the part of Sally was originally a young wife, and this movie's Sally, based on the actress' age, appears to be the daughter of the couple.

EDIT: Okay, here's a link:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/07/30/guillermo-del-toro-producing-dont-be-afraid-of-the-dark-remake/

whotony
07-11-09, 07:57 PM
yes Sally was the young wife, not daughter, one of the best scary made for tv movies ever.

Followed the don't show the monster to much to make it more scary idea.
btw the top link doesn't work.

I already edited that twice imd says it as I remember the young wife sees the monsters but the link to the remake
says something about a young daughter.

I think the imdb description is right.

NoirFan
07-11-09, 08:11 PM
I didn't know Tom Cruise gave his Stepford Wife unsupervised time outside of the fortress long enough for her to make movies.

The Infidel
07-11-09, 08:13 PM
yes Sally was the young wife, not daughter, one of the best scary made for tv movies ever.

Followed the don't show the monster to much to make it more scary idea.
btw the top link doesn't work.

I already edited that twice imd says it as I remember the young wife sees the monsters but the link to the remake
says something about a young daughter.

I think the imdb description is right.
The IMDB description is right in that the original movie had Sally written and portrayed as a young wife who inherited the house from her grandmother. In the remake, they're rewriting the part of Sally as a young daughter who is sent to live with her father and girlfriend in the house.

BTW, the top link doesn't work because it was a joke. I was implying that the information I gave is pretty much all the information there is on it right now.

JackBurton
07-11-09, 09:26 PM
One good thing that comes out of remakes (doesn't matter if they're good or bad) is that there's usually a new dvd of the original. In this case it would be the first dvd release for the original Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark.:up:

whotony
07-12-09, 12:04 AM
BTW, the top link doesn't work because it was a joke. I was implying that the information I gave is pretty much all the information there is on it right now.

I did know the top link was a joke. I was going along with the joke.

Bandit03
07-13-09, 07:24 AM
I'll give it a chance only because of Pearce

Michael Corvin
07-13-09, 07:34 AM
I don't know jack about the original but I'm down for watching Pearce read the phonebook, so I'm already sold on this.

RichC2
07-13-09, 07:37 AM
I didn't know Tom Cruise gave his Stepford Wife unsupervised time outside of the fortress long enough for her to make movies.

Power outage.

LiquidSky
07-13-09, 08:03 AM
I hope they keep the original ending. :eek:

The Infidel
07-13-09, 08:30 AM
My guess is they'll keep the ending pretty much the same, but they'll go into a little more of the back-story of the creatures, and why they specifically want Sally to let them out.

BTW, I found the original movie online after reading about the remake. It was interesting to go back and see it in its entirety after 30+ years and see what the heck it was about it that scared me when I was younger.

LiquidSky
07-13-09, 10:50 AM
BTW, I found the original movie online after reading about the remake. It was interesting to go back and see it in its entirety after 30+ years and see what the heck it was about it that scared me when I was younger.

I watched it a few weeks ago and it still creeps me out.

JumpCutz
07-06-10, 12:35 AM
You guys got me fired up. I'm gonna grab the original on the cheap. I'm a sucker for 70's TV movies.

(Thanks Obey the D for linking this from the future thread. :eek:)

Obey The D
07-06-10, 12:37 AM
You guys got me fired up. I'm gonna grab the original on the cheap. I'm a sucker for 70's TV movies.

No problem. As Liquidsky said, I'd love to see how this turns out. The original was about as creepy as a made for tv movie can get.

whotony
07-06-10, 12:40 AM

HUh?

Giles
11-07-10, 09:41 PM
The IMDB description is right in that the original movie had Sally written and portrayed as a young wife who inherited the house from her grandmother. In the remake, they're rewriting the part of Sally as a young daughter who is sent to live with her father and girlfriend in the house.

yes in true Del Toro fashion, Sally is reminescent to Pan's Labryinth's Ofelia. It's also kind of odd that actress Bailee Madison look alot like a young Katie Holmes, that might have been intentional. Katie in turns surprisingly does a decent job acting as Kim.

even though the film is not directed by Del Toro, he didn't take on the project since at the time he thought he'd be directing 'The Hobbit' - this seems to be alot of visual references/art design to Del Toro's other films notably Pan's Labyrinth - but director Troy Nixey delivers the goods with some great 'in your face' scares and a dynamic really LOUD 5.1 soundmix - the audience I saw this was freaking out left and right. On the whole though, it sort of lacked the multifaceted characters in Del Toro's other films and felt like the story could have fleshed out Katie Holmes' 'Kim' and Guy Pearce's 'Alex' a tad bit more - the movie though was fun, but ultimately didn't seem as resolute or gratifying as Pan's Labyrinth or The Devils Backbone

Solid Snake
11-07-10, 10:23 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CmrrvrpFi98?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CmrrvrpFi98?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

islandclaws
04-29-11, 10:41 AM
The Guillermo del Toro-produced haunted house thriller "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark" will now hit August 26th 2011.

bse
04-30-11, 01:55 AM
I can not wait for this, I still have the VHS of the original - that and Bad Ronald used to get watched every weekend when I was younger. Sadly both have terrible DVD-R releases.

Matthew Chmiel
04-30-11, 12:31 PM
August 26th? The same weekend Dimension is now releasing Apollo 18 (as <s>5nal</s> <s>Anal</s> Final Destination 5 was pushed up to the second weekend of August).

Awkward....

heebiejeebie
04-30-11, 04:15 PM
Interesting. I'd completely forgotten about the remake.

Slightly off-topic, but what was the movie from a few years ago that had the tiny creatures that only came out when it was dark. They visited a boy when he was young (I think a girl too) and then the movie jumps a head a few years. They start seeing the monsters again. The movie ends with

The girl in a closet. Since it's dark she's transported to the monsters' world/dimension. Someone one opens the closet but they can't see her because she's trapped with the monsters. As they close the closet the monsters slowly converge on the girl (I presume to eat her).

islandclaws
04-30-11, 04:35 PM
Was it They?

heebiejeebie
05-04-11, 09:46 PM
Thats it! Thank you very much.

dsa_shea
05-04-11, 09:59 PM
Those little claw fingers /rooster claws look creepy in that screencap of the trailer.

joe_b
05-07-11, 11:02 PM
My theater showed a trailer for this in front of Thor. Nothing but a black screen for at least 30 seconds with an evil voice whispering stuff in surround sound. All the little kids were freaking out! But they had also just shown an uncomfortably long Olay ad with Kim Cattrall stripping down and taking a shower, so the tikes were probably already a little unsettled. :lol:

JackBurton
05-08-11, 06:52 AM
Cool poster:
http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af161/jackslater4/dontbeafraid11nytadnews.jpg

statcat
05-08-11, 03:24 PM
how could these creatures be cooler than this?

http://www.terrycruikshank.com/images/catalog-images/dbaotdfull.jpg

dsa_shea
05-08-11, 03:41 PM
how could these creatures be cooler than this?

http://www.terrycruikshank.com/images/catalog-images/dbaotdfull.jpg

Is that a real picture of sasquatch?

statcat
05-08-11, 03:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC-7t5VLLN4

Jonno2006
08-05-11, 12:58 AM
I saw this tonight at the Montreal Fantasia Film Festival and i liked it!

The worst part has nothing to do with the movie, it's that Guillermo del Toro was supposed to be there for a Q&A but had to cancel at the last minute for health reasons! I was so disappointing when i heard about that last night, was really looking forward to the movie but i was more excited about the man himself!

Oh well , the movie was pretty good, some really creepy and dark set pieces. A couple of good jump scares and general suspense. Good stuff.

LiquidSky
08-05-11, 07:19 AM
I re-watched the original last night. Still holds up well....and still very creepy.

I'll definitely go see the remake.

Pizza
08-05-11, 07:36 AM
I re-watched the original last night. Still holds up well....and still very creepy.

I'll definitely go see the remake.

The original is fantastic. Pretty gutsy for a TV movie. I still remember watching it when it originally aired with my mom. I know there's an MOD, but I'm hoping if the remake does well the original will see some kind of DVD release, maybe even as a bonus feature.

islandclaws
08-05-11, 10:53 AM
The original is fantastic. Pretty gutsy for a TV movie. I still remember watching it when it originally aired with my mom. I know there's an MOD, but I'm hoping if the remake does well the original will see some kind of DVD release, maybe even as a bonus feature.

That would be excellent.

BJacks
08-05-11, 12:20 PM
I like the overall idea and the creatures and girl are great, but the characters act so stupidly that it impacted the film for me. I know a lot of horror relies on suspended disbelief but there were a bunch of times that I was like, come on, really?

islandclaws
08-05-11, 12:24 PM
^ That's one of my least-favorite conventions of horror (and films in general). I hope it doesn't irk me as much.

Solid Snake
08-16-11, 12:12 AM
A little lopsided...but neat.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KgtchrF1nxY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7zDJLV2XJQU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bFe1XRYHDZA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ID-KkKfCOOo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dIxr0EeHZbs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr. Cinema
08-23-11, 05:38 PM
15 reviews on RT. 67% so far.

Daytripper
08-27-11, 01:21 PM
This movie could have been so great, but had some many ridiculous and dumb bumps in the story. Such as:

The caretaker gets stabbed multiple times by those creatures and they chalk it up to just "an accident". No one questioned those wounds? The cops would have treated that as a crime scene in real life.

Why didn't those creatures just kill the child the first time they were around her if that was their goal?

What was the point in dragging her down that hole?

Why didn't the girl show her parents the creature she squashed with the bookcase? And how did they not notice it's severed arm on the floor? Right next to the camera that they picked up.

And last, the gazillion pictures the little girl took with that Polaroid that had just five or six flash cubes on top.

So, because of stupid scenes such as those, I can only give this film a very generous 6/10.

LiquidSky
08-27-11, 05:19 PM
Daytripper has solid points but I still liked it. Very creepy/atmospheric. 8/10.

TomOpus
08-27-11, 05:55 PM
I want to see it just because Del Toro is involved.

MrStayPuft
08-27-11, 08:00 PM
Eh, I think the cgi ruins it, I'd give it a 4/10. I was expecting a lot more from the sound mix too. With all these creatures running around, I expecetd to hear isolated tracks from certain areas of the theater, but this isn't the case. Woulda been cool for a similar sound effect to a mouse running in the walls of your house sorta thing, where you can get a general sense of where its coming from.

All good points Daytripper, I whispered to my girlfriend the same arguments while in the theater. I'm still not a fan of Katie Holmes.

And regarding DayTrippers question:
The creatures were not out to kill Sally, but wanted to drag her down the hole so they could turn her into one of them, thus increasing their ranks and staying alive. I guess they have to turn a child into one of them every time that hole gets opened, otherwise they vanish. This plot was revealed when Katie Holme's character went to the library.

Daytripper
08-27-11, 09:09 PM
Eh, I think the cgi ruins it, I'd give it a 4/10. I was expecting a lot more from the sound mix too. With all these creatures running around, I expecetd to hear isolated tracks from certain areas of the theater, but this isn't the case. Woulda been cool for a similar sound effect to a mouse running in the walls of your house sorta thing, where you can get a general sense of where its coming from.

All good points Daytripper, I whispered to my girlfriend the same arguments while in the theater. I'm still not a fan of Katie Holmes.

And regarding DayTrippers question:
The creatures were not out to kill Sally, but wanted to drag her down the hole so they could turn her into one of them, thus increasing their ranks and staying alive. I guess they have to turn a child into one of them every time that hole gets opened, otherwise they vanish. This plot was revealed when Katie Holme's character went to the library.

The sound was phenominal in my theater. You could the creatures running around in all of the speakers. Front, side and back. And at one point, a coin dropped out of my friend's pocket when the little girl found the coin under her pillow. I thought it was in the film and laughed when I realized it came from my friend. He laughed too.

BuddyRevell
08-28-11, 01:47 PM
Saw this the other night. It was ok..but I have no idea why this got an R rating.

Tom Creo
08-29-11, 01:41 PM
Violence on children?

dsa_shea
08-29-11, 11:15 PM
I thought it was decent but it doesn't have that something that would make you want to watch it again.

bcd
09-01-11, 02:28 AM
Saw this the other night. It was ok..but I have no idea why this got an R rating.

I can see why they got the R rating, 3 scenes in particular. The Teeth scene in the beginning, the slashing of the old man, and the Katie Holmes leg breaking scene toward the end
It seems like they were trying to get it to be PG-13 and would have been good at freaking out kids, but they got saddled with an R due to those few scenes. So they needed to decide what they were trying to accomplish rating wise and shoot for that.

mhg83
09-05-11, 02:29 PM
Anyone else think at the end: The creatures were dragging Katie Holmes down to their master Tom Cruise? -wink-

Giles
09-05-11, 05:32 PM
I can see why they got the R rating, 3 scenes in particular. The Teeth scene in the beginning, the slashing of the old man, and the Katie Holmes leg breaking scene toward the end
It seems like they were trying to get it to be PG-13 and would have been good at freaking out kids, but they got saddled with an R due to those few scenes. So they needed to decide what they were trying to accomplish rating wise and shoot for that.

from what I can recall of the film's post Q&A with the producer last Fall, was that the MPAA specifically objected to the scenes of violence and peril to the child - something that the editors would have had a harder time trimming down to PG-13 standards.

EdTheRipper
09-07-11, 01:42 PM
Just got back from catching a matinee. I liked it more than the original, but its probably not anything I'll ever watch again.

I did get a good laugh because my wife practically jumped out of her seat on one particular jump scare. The bed one. You know, the one that was in all of the trailers? The one that my wife must have seen a dozen times? Yup, that one. She jumped and then tensed up, like she was getting ready to run. :lol:

Charlie Goose
04-25-12, 12:01 AM
Kind of creepy, but too many holes.

Mentioned previously in the thread, the caretaker getting attacked a dozen ways and NO questions asked, and a dead Shaved Cellar Monkey that nobody sees.

Katie Holmes just happens to go to the library and find a real expert on the house and history of the SCMs. Hell, he even knew the lot number of the house off the top of his head. You would think that, as a supposed expert herself, she would've already researched it. And apparently, none other than THE POPE made a deal with the monkeys long ago.

The monkeys are afraid of even the dimmest light, but bounce around the dinner party like they were invited.

The girl takes a picture of a monkey in the flowers and runs to dad,
"Hey, I've got proof of what's trying to kill me!"
"Not now dear, we're having a dinner party."
"Oh, okay."
Yeah, punch him in the 'nads if you have to, but get his attention.

During the library attack, the place is wrecked. Even portraits are thrown off the wall, yet nobody questions how a little girl can do this. And not one of the 50 polaroids she took were clear enough to see?

Although the SCMs don't even compare to the furry trolls of the original, I suppose they're scary enough. And movies with ghostly whispering voices that you only half-hear, really freak me out.

Bailee Madison was good as the girl, and Katie Holmes was okay. Guy Pearce had nothing to do as the dad.

And for the monkey in the bed sheets scene, that would've been more effective if it wasn't in the trailer. My cat reacted that same way one time when I dutch-ovened her.