Harper's Island: The DVD Edition (Complete Series) ----> September 8, 2009

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-09, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Harper's Island: The DVD Edition (Complete Series) ----> September 8, 2009

Artwork:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...rs-island.html

The final 2 episodes air on CBS Saturday (7/11)

Since this is called "The DVD Edition" instead of "The Complete Series" I hope that means there will be some Uncut footage added back into the episodes.

I'll reserve final judgment of the series until Saturday, but I have enjoyed it for the most part.

If you haven't seen the show yet and want to rent or buy this, I would stay away from the TV Talk threads of this show or any Entertainment publication web site at least for the next week or so. There will be a ton of spoilers.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-10-09 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-10-09, 11:14 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Harper's Island: The DVD Edition (Complete Series) ----> September 8, 2009

What an odd name...DVD edition.
Old 07-10-09, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

No Blu?
Old 07-10-09, 11:22 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eddie W
No Blu?
For a canceled series? Not likely.
Old 07-10-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Just wanted to emphasize that this was a One and Done "Mini-Series." If it would have gotten another season, the show would have gotten a new name and an entirely new cast. So you don't have to worry about "Does this show have closure?"
Old 07-10-09, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Just wanted to emphasize that this was a One and Done "Mini-Series." If it would have gotten another season, the show would have gotten a new name and an entirely new cast. So you don't have to worry about "Does this show have closure?"
Right, but let's not have anyone from Canada post what that closure actually is (unless spoiler tags are used)!
Old 07-10-09, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by awil1026
Right, but let's not have anyone from Canada post what that closure actually is (unless spoiler tags are used)!
Exactly, that's why I said if your interested in watching this on DVD. Stay clear away from the TV threads/sites that talk about this show since this doesn't come out for another 2 1/2 months.

I'm waiting to see how the series ends as well. But, that discussion won't be in this thread.

If I can get this for $29.99 or less, then I might be interested in re-visiting this show.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-10-09 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-10-09, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess The "Why Can't Ten People With Shotguns Take Out One Guy With A Knife?" Edition would be too long to fit on the box, right?
Old 07-10-09, 03:21 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Expected the cover art to include some key cast members. No big loss, but just curious they took a different route.
Old 07-11-09, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish
I guess The "Why Can't Ten People With Shotguns Take Out One Guy With A Knife?" Edition would be too long to fit on the box, right?

Doug
Old 07-11-09, 09:18 AM

Unlike some shows (Kidnapped) which were hastily rewritten after being cancelled to shoehorn the remaining material in a couple of episodes, this series was always intended as a 12 or 13 (I can't remember which) hour complete series. So you'll be seeing it as it was originally scripted (although it wouldn't surprise me if they added some gore and/or nudity on the DVD to get a few more people to buy it).
Old 07-11-09, 09:41 AM

I like the cover. I read that the death scenes were filmed as if they were filming a rated R movie and they edited down for TV. I read the spoilers for the last two episodes and I was a bit disappointed. But I will still buy this on DVD and I bet Chiller will probably air episodes in the future.

I sort of wish there were more shows like Harper's Island. Happy Town which will be on ABC is similar to Harper's Island and Twin Peaks.
Old 07-11-09, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
Unlike some shows (Kidnapped) which were hastily rewritten after being cancelled to shoehorn the remaining material in a couple of episodes, this series was always intended as a 12 or 13 (I can't remember which) hour complete series. So you'll be seeing it as it was originally scripted (although it wouldn't surprise me if they added some gore and/or nudity on the DVD to get a few more people to buy it).
It's 13 episodes. Episode 12 and 13 air tonight.

I don't know why people seem to think this was "cancelled" because it wasn't. If it would have done well, the producers would have created an entirely new story arc with all new characters.
Old 07-11-09, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I'll give this a rent at least. I'm definitely curious to see it.
Old 07-11-09, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I might give this another shot on dvd. I tried watching it on television as it was airing but the switch from Thursdays to Saturdays made it sorta difficult since I wound up having to work a lot of the times when it was airing. The show didn't seem spectacular or anything but might at least be worth a watch I think.
Old 07-12-09, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
It's 13 episodes. Episode 12 and 13 air tonight.

I don't know why people seem to think this was "cancelled" because it wasn't. If it would have done well, the producers would have created an entirely new story arc with all new characters.
Since all 13 episodes aired, it's technically not cancelled the way Day Break was. However, shunting a series off to Saturday night to burn off remaining unaired episodes is the equivalent of cancellation.

Ratings were horrible for Thursday night despite huge promotion by CBS and their thoughts of future chapters went down the drain.

Having said that, I have to add that I'm tempted to get the DVD if I can get it at a decent price. Now that I know what happened, I can check early episodes to see if the show played fair with the audience, and I also have a better idea who some of the characters are (the first 2-3 episodes were very jumbled up).
Old 07-12-09, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish

I'm sure this was one of the main reasons that the ratings dropped. I watched the first 5 or 6 episodes, but the stupidity of some of the characters annoyed the hell out of me and I got bored with it. I have the remaining 6 or 7 episodes on my DVR, but I haven't been all that excited to watch them. I'm sure I will... just to see how they wrapped things up. Maybe, there shouldn't have been so many episodes, maybe just 9 or something so they could do more with each episode instead of stretching it out.

Last edited by Darth Maher; 07-12-09 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-13-09, 11:26 AM

Has anyone seen any mention of 'Harpers Globe' the web series being included on the DVD?
Old 07-13-09, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by SI78
Has anyone seen any mention of 'Harpers Globe' the web series being included on the DVD?
I'm pretty sure Karim Zreik (Harper's Island producer) was asked this question on his twitter. He said it would not be included.
Old 07-13-09, 02:39 PM

That's funny. Karim Zreik just tweeted that the Harper's Globe episodes MAY be on the DVD after all.

Some good news to share, it looks as if the Harpers Globe webisodes may be on the Harpers Island dvd. More news to follow.
Old 07-13-09, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

When this hits $20.00 I'll pick it up.
Old 07-17-09, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by awil1026
That's funny. Karim Zreik just tweeted that the Harper's Globe episodes MAY be on the DVD after all.

That would be cool if the Harper's Globe episodes were on there too.
Old 08-08-09, 08:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I only caught the first episode by chance in early July and became curious to continue it, which I had to do online.

I had not heard of this series at all. No wonder it did poorly in ratings.

I don't watch much on CBS, but they needed to do promotion beyond their network. They could have had a minor hit on their hands (though that could have make them want to do a really contrived follow up series).

It was cheesy at times and definitely had its faults, but overall it was fun and if it can be had for a good price, I would likely watch it again.
Old 08-09-09, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by albert_m
I only caught the first episode by chance in early July and became curious to continue it, which I had to do online.

I had not heard of this series at all. No wonder it did poorly in ratings.

I don't watch much on CBS, but they needed to do promotion beyond their network. They could have had a minor hit on their hands (though that could have make them want to do a really contrived follow up series).

It was cheesy at times and definitely had its faults, but overall it was fun and if it can be had for a good price, I would likely watch it again.
Poor marketing is not to blame for the show's failure. I don't know how much CBS you watch, but they promoted the hell out of the show leading up to it's premiere. You obviously knew nothing about the show because you aren't a viewer of their programs. Would it have made a dramatic difference if Food Network, which CBS owns, showed some promos of this? I don't think so. I think most CBS viewers just can't follow serialized programs and prefer self contained procedurals. I know they wanted to attract some younger viewers with this show and it was a noble attempt and I'm glad they tried something different.
Old 08-09-09, 01:00 PM
Suspended

This is on Netflix (and in HD) so I'll likely watch it there unless the DVD is $20 or so.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.