DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : 2009 San Diego Comic Con - the 40th Anniversary

devilshalo
07-09-09, 04:19 PM
Never know where to put this as it really encompasses the Hollywood influence now with films, tv and video games... especially with panels. So hopefully this stays here unless a mod deems otherwise. There's just too much information to spread this over 4 forums.

btw, you are shit out of luck if you haven't gotten a pass yet. I know some of you here attend, so I hope to see you at the usual spot on preview night before the madness starts.

Anyways... the programming schedule is out for Thursday, July 23 (http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci09_prog_thu.php).

Some Thursday highlights:

11:00-12:30 Disney: 3D Panel— Walt Disney Pictures presents key filmmakers, select cast members and previously unseen footage from its upcoming slate, including Disney’s A Christmas Carol, Alice In Wonderland and Tron. Special guests include Robert Zemeckis, Tim Burton, Sean Bailey, Steve Lisberger, and moderator Patton Oswalt. Hall H

12:45-2:00 20th Century Fox and James Cameron present Avatar— In this first public screening of footage in 3D from his much-anticipated action/adventure/fantasy, James Cameron, producer Jon Landau, and cast members take you to a spectacular new world beyond imagination. Conceived 14 years ago and over four years in the making, Avatar breaks new ground in delivering a fully immersive, emotional story and reinvents the movie-going experience. Hall H

1:15-2:15 USA Network's Psych— James Roday (Shawn Spencer), Dulé Hill (Burton "Gus" Guster), Maggie Lawson (Juliet O'Hara), Tim Omundson (Carlton Lassiter), Corbin Bernsen (Henry Spencer), Steve Franks (creator and executive producer), and the entire creative team give you an all-access behind-the-scenes pass to the USA Network hit original series Psych.

2:00-3:00 Sony Pictures Animation: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs— In 2009, Columbia Pictures' and Sony Pictures Animation's Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs will be the most delicious event since macaroni met cheese. Inspired by the classic children's book, the film focuses on a town where food begins to fall from the sky like rain. Appearing in person: Anna Faris, Bill Hader, Andy Samberg, Bobb'e J. Thompson, and directors Chris Miller and Phil Lord. Room 6BCF

2:15-3:15 Summit Entertainment— Summit Entertainment presents a sneak peek of exclusive footage of some of its upcoming major film releases!
Astro boy—Join Freddie Highmore and Kristen Bell as they premiere the final trailer for Astro Boy before it's in theaters.
Sorority Row—Join the cast of Sorority Row as they debut footage from the film exclusive to Comic-Con 2009.
The Twilight Saga: New Moon—Summit Entertainment is proud to present the panel for The Twilight Saga: New Moon, the highly anticipated sequel to last year's box office smash Twilight. Surprise members of the cast will answer your questions about the second film in the series and debut never-before-seen footage from the new film. Hall H

2:30-3:30 USA Network's Burn Notice— Bruce Campbell (Sam Axe), Matt Nix (creator and executive producer) and Alfredo Barrios, Jr. (co-executive producer) host a panel discussion and answer questions about the creative process of evolving an embryonic idea into a finished episode of cable's #1 hit show. Ballroom 20

3:30-4:30 Joe Dante: The Hole— Legendary director Joe Dante makes his return to the genre he knows best with the 3D thriller The Hole. Join Dante—along with actress Haley Bennett (The Haunting of Molly Hartley)—as he discusses his return to thrillers, working in 3D, and The Hole. Hall H

3:45-4:45 Entertainment Weekly: Wonder Women: Female Power Icons in Pop Culture— EW will moderate a conversation with Sigourney Weaver (Avatar), Elizabeth Mitchell (Lost), Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars), and other stars about the actresses who have redefined the rules and the female characters that have shattered the glass ceiling for all women. Basically: a discussion with women who kick ass. Ballroom 20

4:45-5:45 Legend of the Seeker— A sneak peek at the highly anticipated second season of the action-adventure series Legend of the Seeker from executive producers Ken Biller (Star Trek: Voyager), Sam Raimi (Spider-Man), Rob Tapert (Xena), Ned Nalle (Hercules), and Josh Donen (Drag Me to Hell) and starring Craig Horner, Bridget Regan and Bruce Spence. Room 6DE

4:45-5:15 Terry Gilliam's The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus— we welcome the sole American Python, the great animator and director Terry Gilliam (Time Bandits, Brazil, 12 Monkeys) to introduce you to his new film starring Christopher Plummer, Johnny Depp, Heath Ledger, Colin Farrell, Jude Law, Verne Troyer, Tom Waits, and Lily Cole. Hall H

5:00-6:00 Showtime: Dexter— Moderator Ralph Garman (KROQ Entertainment Reporter) presides over a revealing interview and Q&A session with the stars and executive producers of Dexter. Featured panelists include series star/executive producer Michael C. Hall (Dexter), Julie Benz (Rita), Jennifer Carpenter (Deb), and executive producers John Goldwyn, Sara Colleton, Clyde Phillips, and Melissa Rosenberg. Ballroom 20

5:45-6:45 Kick-Ass— World premiere footage from Kick-Ass, based on Mark Millar's bestselling comic, is presented by director Matthew Vaughn (Stardust, Layercake). Joining him on the panel are Nicolas Cage, Christopher Mintz-Plasse (Superbad), and comic co-creator John Romita Jr., among others, including a surprise guest. Hall H

6:30-7:00 Focus Features: Thirst— Focus Features and Comic-Con present a rare U.S. appearance by acclaimed Korean filmmaker Park Chan-wook, whose "scandalous vampire melodrama" Thirst just won the Prix du Jury (Jury Prize) at the 2009 Cannes International Film Festival. Park will show clips from the movie— which opens in select cities on July 31—and discuss his career. Hall H

I'll try to update this post when more information comes...

islandclaws
07-09-09, 04:34 PM
I always want to go, but once I'm reminded of how much of a clusterfuck the entire thing is I end up passing.

Maybe next year...

Supermallet
07-09-09, 05:13 PM
I'm going on Friday and Saturday this year, so no preview night for me. I really want to see the Avatar footage.

TomOpus
07-09-09, 07:44 PM
Hope you have better luck with this thread than I had last year.

Due to smaller staff, I can't take Wed-Fri off this year. I have Weds off and I get off work at 10am on Thurs/Fri. That means no getting in line early for Hall H. Hopefully Saturday will be great and I can camp out again :D

It always gets exciting once the programming schedules start to roll out. btw, there are 2 Facebook groups and 1 MySpace group. We're organizing a MySpace meet-up on Preview Night at 9:30pm at The Neighborhood.

devilshalo, if you're interested, I think the usual gang is going to meet at the usual spot after badge pick-up.

Superman07
07-09-09, 09:57 PM
I bet you have a hard time getting into the Avatar and EW panels. I'm iffy on the amount of people that go to that Burn Notice panel, but then again it is CC and Bruce Campbell so it will probably be full.

Supermallet
07-10-09, 04:51 AM
I just realized the Avatar panel is on Thursday, and I'm going on Friday and Saturday. Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck. They better have that Avatar footage available to see on the rest of the days, otherwise I don't even know why I'm bothering to go. Fuck.

jdslater1
07-10-09, 05:01 AM
I do want to fly over to this one day.

devilshalo
07-10-09, 04:42 PM
Some Friday highlights:

10:00-12:30 Warner Bros.— Join WB for a look at their much anticipated slate of upcoming genre films, including Where The Wild Things Are, The Book of Eli, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Box, Jonah Hex, and Sherlock Holmes. Hall H

11:30-12:30 AMC: The Prisoner— Jim Caviezel (The Passion of the Christ), Jamie Campbell-Bower (Sweeney Todd, The Twilight Saga: New Moon), Lennie James (Jericho), writer Bill Gallagher, and Vlad Wolynetz (VP, production, series & movies for AMC) discuss the making of AMC's miniseries The Prisoner, a re-imagining of the 1960s cult classic by the late Patrick McGoohan, premiering in November on AMC. Room 6BCF

11:45-12:45 FlashForward— Be among the first to see exclusive, never-before-seen footage and scenes from upcoming episodes of ABC's new show FlashForward presented by David S. Goyer (Batman Begins), Brannon Braga (24), and Marc Guggenheim (Eli Stone). Joining them on the panel are cast members including Joseph Fiennes (Shakespeare in Love) and John Cho (Star Trek). And look for a surprise guest that you won't want to miss! Room 6A

11:45-12:45 Caprica/Battlestar Galactica: The Plan— The present meets the past as the makers of Battlestar Galactica deliver the highly anticipated Syfy original series, Caprica and the 2-hour event, Battlestar Galactica: The Plan, directed by Edward James Olmos. Ballroom 20

1:00-2:00 The Big Bang Theory Screening and Q&A— Bazinga! Your favorite scientists and girl-next-door are back as The Big Bang Theory returns to Comic-Con with a special screening and Q&A with the show's creators and stars. Come chat with executive producers Chuck Lorre (Two and a Half Men) and Bill Prady (Dharma & Greg), as well as series stars Johnny Galecki (Roseanne), Jim Parsons (Garden State), Kaley Cuoco (Charmed), Simon Helberg (Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog), and Kunal Nayyar (NCIS). Ballroom 20

2:15-3:15 Past Life Pilot Screening and Q&A— Past Life makes its debut at Comic-Con with a screening of the pilot episode and a Q&A with the show's creator and stars. Come talk with executive producers David Hudgins (Friday Night Lights) and Lou Pitt, as well as series stars Kelli Giddish (Damages), Nicholas Bishop (Above the Law) and Ravi Patel (Scrubs) and learn more about this fast-paced emotional thriller in which a gifted psychologist and former detective must work together to unravel mysteries that must be solved in both the past and the present. Room 6A

2:15-3:00 24— The Fox series 24 is coming off its most critically acclaimed season in years. Stars Kiefer Sutherland, Mary Lynn Rajskub and new cast members Anil Kapoor and Katee Sackhoff join showrunnner Howard Gordon and the producers of the Emmy-winning series for a special sneak peek at the heart-stopping premiere episode of Season 8 Ballroom 20

2:30-3:30 Focus Features: 9— Focus Features and Comic-Con present an exclusive look inside director Shane Acker's animated fantasy epic 9, the feature-length expansion of his short film of the same name. Directors Tim Burton and Timur Bekmambetov are among the feature version's producers. Join Shane Acker, Tim Burton, Timur Bekmambetov, and actors Elijah Wood and Jennifer Connelly. Hall H

3:00-3:45 Bones— Showrunner Hart Hanson and stars David Boreanaz and Emily Deschanel are on hand for a discussion of what's on deck for Booth and Brennan, hot on the heels of this year's much talked-about season finale in which the pair finally wound up between the sheets. Ballroom 20

3:15-4:15 Eureka— Eureka is back this summer with all new episodes, and Salli Richardson-Whitfield (Allison Blake), Erica Cerra (Jo Lupo), Neil Grayston (Douglas Fargo), and Jaime Paglia (executive producer/co-creator) are stopping by to let you in on the fun. Moderated by Josh Gates (Destination Truth). Room 6BCF

3:45-5:00 Sony Pictures Entertainment: Legion and District 9— Sony Pictures Entertainment and Screen Gems introduce two great new movie projects exclusively to Comic-Con attendees!
Legion—When the last angel falls, the fight for mankind begins. Having lost faith in the human race, a legion of angels descend to Earth to bring about the Apocalypse. Humanity's only hope lies in a group of strangers trapped in a desert diner and the Archangel Michael himself (Paul Bettany). Appearing on stage: Paul Bettany (A Beautiful Mind, The DaVinci Code), Adrianne Palicki (Friday Night Lights, Supernatural), Tyrese Gibson (Transformers, Death Race), Doug Jones (Silver Surfer in Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer and Abe Sapien in Hellboy), and director Scott Stewart (helming his first feature film after working on VFX for Sin City, Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire, and Iron Man, among many others). From Screen Gems.
District 9—Peter Jackson makes his eagerly and long-awaited first visit to Comic-Con to introduce you to the world of District 9, which focuses on a world in which extraterrestrials have become refugees in South Africa. Please join Peter Jackson as he gives fans a first look at scenes from District 9 and takes your questions along with director Neill Blomkamp and star Sharlto Copley. Hall H

4:00-5:15 Dollhouse— Join Dollhouse creator Joss Whedon and star/producer Eliza Dushku for a no-holds-barred Q & A about what they have planned for season 2, after they unveil a special screening of the never-before-seen "Epitaph One" episode of the Fox hit, which releases on DVD just four days later. Ballroom 20

6:30-7:30 Entertainment Weekly: The Visionaries— A discussion with iconic filmmakers James Cameron (Avatar) and Peter Jackson (District 9) on the Future of Film—EW moderates an in-depth conversation with these two cinematic giants about the art of film narrative and how technology and global culture will alter the art of on-screen storytelling in the next 20 years. Hall H

TomOpus
07-10-09, 07:03 PM
I just realized the Avatar panel is on Thursday, and I'm going on Friday and Saturday. Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck. They better have that Avatar footage available to see on the rest of the days, otherwise I don't even know why I'm bothering to go. Fuck.Friday does have the James Cameron/Peter Jackson chat in Hall H.

devilshalo
07-10-09, 07:37 PM
Friday does have the James Cameron/Peter Jackson chat in Hall H.

But I think he really really wants to see the Avatar footage :p

MBoyd
07-10-09, 09:13 PM
We will do preview night and Thurs and Friday. We'll be at Hall H first thing I guess.

TomOpus
07-10-09, 09:16 PM
But I think he really really wants to see the Avatar footage :pHe needs to find someone with a 4-day pass who isn't going to use it on Thurs :)

Oh, looks like they're already changing the programs around. Check back often for the latest updates.

Supermallet
07-11-09, 03:59 AM
Friday does have the James Cameron/Peter Jackson chat in Hall H.

Yeah, I'll be going to that. I won't even be in San Diego till Friday, so if I found someone with a pass they're not using it still wouldn't do me any good. :mad:

Looks like other than Coraline and Mighty Boosh, I'll be in Hall H all day Friday.

TomOpus
07-11-09, 08:12 AM
Some Friday highlights:

10:00-12:30 Warner Bros.— Join WB for a look at their much anticipated slate of upcoming genre films, including Where The Wild Things Are, The Book of Eli, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Box, Jonah Hex, and Sherlock Holmes. Hall H

11:30-12:30 AMC: The Prisoner— Jim Caviezel (The Passion of the Christ), Jamie Campbell-Bower (Sweeney Todd, The Twilight Saga: New Moon), Lennie James (Jericho), writer Bill Gallagher, and Vlad Wolynetz (VP, production, series & movies for AMC) discuss the making of AMC's miniseries The Prisoner, a re-imagining of the 1960s cult classic by the late Patrick McGoohan, premiering in November on AMC. Room 6BCF

11:45-12:45 FlashForward— Be among the first to see exclusive, never-before-seen footage and scenes from upcoming episodes of ABC's new show FlashForward presented by David S. Goyer (Batman Begins), Brannon Braga (24), and Marc Guggenheim (Eli Stone). Joining them on the panel are cast members including Joseph Fiennes (Shakespeare in Love) and John Cho (Star Trek). And look for a surprise guest that you won't want to miss! Room 6A

11:45-12:45 Caprica/Battlestar Galactica: The Plan— The present meets the past as the makers of Battlestar Galactica deliver the highly anticipated Syfy original series, Caprica and the 2-hour event, Battlestar Galactica: The Plan, directed by Edward James Olmos. Ballroom 20

1:00-2:00 The Big Bang Theory Screening and Q&A— Bazinga! Your favorite scientists and girl-next-door are back as The Big Bang Theory returns to Comic-Con with a special screening and Q&A with the show's creators and stars. Come chat with executive producers Chuck Lorre (Two and a Half Men) and Bill Prady (Dharma & Greg), as well as series stars Johnny Galecki (Roseanne), Jim Parsons (Garden State), Kaley Cuoco (Charmed), Simon Helberg (Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog), and Kunal Nayyar (NCIS). Ballroom 20

2:15-3:15 Past Life Pilot Screening and Q&A— Past Life makes its debut at Comic-Con with a screening of the pilot episode and a Q&A with the show's creator and stars. Come talk with executive producers David Hudgins (Friday Night Lights) and Lou Pitt, as well as series stars Kelli Giddish (Damages), Nicholas Bishop (Above the Law) and Ravi Patel (Scrubs) and learn more about this fast-paced emotional thriller in which a gifted psychologist and former detective must work together to unravel mysteries that must be solved in both the past and the present. Room 6A

2:15-3:00 24— The Fox series 24 is coming off its most critically acclaimed season in years. Stars Kiefer Sutherland, Mary Lynn Rajskub and new cast members Anil Kapoor and Katee Sackhoff join showrunnner Howard Gordon and the producers of the Emmy-winning series for a special sneak peek at the heart-stopping premiere episode of Season 8 Ballroom 20

2:30-3:30 Focus Features: 9— Focus Features and Comic-Con present an exclusive look inside director Shane Acker's animated fantasy epic 9, the feature-length expansion of his short film of the same name. Directors Tim Burton and Timur Bekmambetov are among the feature version's producers. Join Shane Acker, Tim Burton, Timur Bekmambetov, and actors Elijah Wood and Jennifer Connelly. Hall H

3:00-3:45 Bones— Showrunner Hart Hanson and stars David Boreanaz and Emily Deschanel are on hand for a discussion of what's on deck for Booth and Brennan, hot on the heels of this year's much talked-about season finale in which the pair finally wound up between the sheets. Ballroom 20

3:15-4:15 Eureka— Eureka is back this summer with all new episodes, and Salli Richardson-Whitfield (Allison Blake), Erica Cerra (Jo Lupo), Neil Grayston (Douglas Fargo), and Jaime Paglia (executive producer/co-creator) are stopping by to let you in on the fun. Moderated by Josh Gates (Destination Truth). Room 6BCF

3:45-5:00 Sony Pictures Entertainment: Legion and District 9— Sony Pictures Entertainment and Screen Gems introduce two great new movie projects exclusively to Comic-Con attendees!
Legion—When the last angel falls, the fight for mankind begins. Having lost faith in the human race, a legion of angels descend to Earth to bring about the Apocalypse. Humanity's only hope lies in a group of strangers trapped in a desert diner and the Archangel Michael himself (Paul Bettany). Appearing on stage: Paul Bettany (A Beautiful Mind, The DaVinci Code), Adrianne Palicki (Friday Night Lights, Supernatural), Tyrese Gibson (Transformers, Death Race), Doug Jones (Silver Surfer in Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer and Abe Sapien in Hellboy), and director Scott Stewart (helming his first feature film after working on VFX for Sin City, Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire, and Iron Man, among many others). From Screen Gems.
District 9—Peter Jackson makes his eagerly and long-awaited first visit to Comic-Con to introduce you to the world of District 9, which focuses on a world in which extraterrestrials have become refugees in South Africa. Please join Peter Jackson as he gives fans a first look at scenes from District 9 and takes your questions along with director Neill Blomkamp and star Sharlto Copley. Hall H

4:00-5:15 Dollhouse— Join Dollhouse creator Joss Whedon and star/producer Eliza Dushku for a no-holds-barred Q & A about what they have planned for season 2, after they unveil a special screening of the never-before-seen "Epitaph One" episode of the Fox hit, which releases on DVD just four days later. Ballroom 20

6:30-7:30 Entertainment Weekly: The Visionaries— A discussion with iconic filmmakers James Cameron (Avatar) and Peter Jackson (District 9) on the Future of Film—EW moderates an in-depth conversation with these two cinematic giants about the art of film narrative and how technology and global culture will alter the art of on-screen storytelling in the next 20 years. Hall H Also for those that are fans of "Attack of the Show", you should hit their panel. I was at last year's and it was a blast. Bigger room than last year and, as an added bonus, you get uncensored Olivia... yes, she has the mouth of a sailor :D

1:30-2:30 G4: Attack of the Show— TV's first and only live daily show dedicated to the "digital generation"—breaking the hottest web videos, latest gadgets, blogs and videogames. Every day AOTS takes its audience to the virtual water cooler, where you can then tell your friends you saw it on AOTS first! Kevin Pereira, Olivia Munn, Alison Haislip, Blair Butler and AOTS producers bring you the closest thing to being on a LIVE Attack of the Show! Take part in one of the largest group Tweets to ever hit the Twittersphere, join in on the AOTS Orchestra for a moving rendition of the Attack theme, bear witness to a Comic-Con exclusive AOTS comedy short, and have a chance to win one-of-a-kind props from the show and end it with a nerd rave the likes of which have never been seen this side of M.I.T.! Plus you'll get a chance to grill the hosts and exec producers to find out the dirty secrets behind your favorite AOTS stunts, from Kevin and Olivia in fat suits to the MegaDare Hot Sauce challenge to to Olivia's infamous "Pie-Jump." Room 5AB

Snowmaker
07-11-09, 08:19 AM
If anyone has a chance to snag the Hallmark Keepsake exclusive SDCC Ornaments and doesn't want them, please let me know.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/2849/0015776.jpg

TomOpus
07-11-09, 10:55 AM
Don't know why, but SDCC exclusive ornaments crack me up :lol:

filmerp
07-11-09, 06:49 PM
Is there going to be another Otter meet? I so want to get into the Avatar screening, but I fear the Twilight fanatics may clog up Hall H in anticipation for the next panel...

Supermallet
07-11-09, 08:34 PM
The exclusives this year seem pretty weak. The only one I want is the alternate Enterprise-D replica, which I found is available on the dealer's website bundled with a replica regular Enterprise-D for savings, so I ordered that. Better to have it shipped to me than have to lug that around the con all day.

devilshalo
07-12-09, 01:36 AM
Is there going to be another Otter meet? I so want to get into the Avatar screening, but I fear the Twilight fanatics may clog up Hall H in anticipation for the next panel...
Only if you're shooting for EW and I can hang or help you set up equipment. ;)

TomOpus
07-12-09, 09:10 AM
Is there going to be another Otter meet? In the past, a few of us have met at a designated eating establishment after we've picked up our 4-day badges. Suprmallet can't make it this year, devilshalo hasn't said ya or nay yet but I think Mboyd will be there.

Due to varying interests, and sudden changes to the programming schedules, it's very difficult to schedule a meet once Con starts.

Elpresidentepez
07-12-09, 01:19 PM
I really don't care either way, but since this is a typical response from the long time posters here...search is your friend:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/551218-san-diego-international-comic-con-2009-a.html

I've always wanted to do that. -wink-

devilshalo
07-12-09, 02:56 PM
I don't see much reason to go Saturday or Sunday. Is Scarlett Johansson enough of a reason?

devilshalo
07-12-09, 02:57 PM
I really don't care either way, but since this is a typical response from the long time posters here...search is your friend:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/551218-san-diego-international-comic-con-2009-a.html

I've always wanted to do that. -wink-

But who goes into the Book Forum? :p

asianxcore
07-12-09, 03:10 PM
Wish I planned better for this. This year's Comic Con is around my birthday and it would've been great to go with my girlfriend.

Oh well, there's always next year. We would've loved to check out that Dexter Panel.

Jason
07-12-09, 04:15 PM
Have fun standing in line everybody!

Supermallet
07-12-09, 05:01 PM
Woo hoo! I managed to secure a pass for Thursday and my boss was willing to give me the extra day off. Avatar, here I come!

As far as Saturday goes, I'm mostly excited for Futurama and Iron Man 2, but I suspect that will be my day to roam the floor.

IDrinkMolson
07-12-09, 05:11 PM
If anyone has a chance to snag the Hallmark Keepsake exclusive SDCC Ornaments and doesn't want them, please let me know.

Me too, looking for Star Trek and Star Wars. Just heard about these at the Hallmark ornament premier this weekend.

Elpresidentepez
07-12-09, 05:11 PM
Woo hoo! I managed to secure a pass for Thursday and my boss was willing to give me the extra day off. Avatar, here I come!

As far as Saturday goes, I'm mostly excited for Futurama and Iron Man 2, but I suspect that will be my day to roam the floor.

I never plan for anything on saturday. The chances of getting into most panels are slim unless you want to wait all day in Hall H/Ballroom 20. That being said I would love to go the Lost panel.

TomOpus
07-12-09, 11:57 PM
Have fun standing in line everybody!That's half the fun. I've met some cool people while waiting in line.

Elpresidentepez
07-13-09, 12:51 AM
That's half the fun. I've met some cool people while waiting in line.

Yeah, A line isn't so bad if your waiting for something cool with cool people.

JesseCuster
07-13-09, 01:06 AM
11:30-12:30 AMC: The Prisoner, a re-imagining of the 1960s cult classic by the late Patrick McGoohan, premiering in November on AMC. Room 6BCF

God almighty, McGoohan died? Terribly sorry for that. The Prisoner is one of my all-time fav series. Hope it wasn't too rough for him :(

devilshalo
07-13-09, 12:27 PM
Yeah, A line isn't so bad if your waiting for something cool with cool people.

However, when you're stuck with tweens waiting for the New Moon panel.. it's just fucking annoying.

filmerp
07-13-09, 12:38 PM
Only if you're shooting for EW and I can hang or help you set up equipment. ;)

I will be shooting for EW, which means I'll be spending most of my time at the Hard Rock Hotel and not really free to cruise around the convention until evenings :(

Elpresidentepez
07-13-09, 02:39 PM
However, when you're stuck with tweens waiting for the New Moon panel.. it's just fucking annoying.

That's when you put on your earphones and read a comic book.

devilshalo
07-13-09, 04:16 PM
I will be shooting for EW, which means I'll be spending most of my time at the Hard Rock Hotel and not really free to cruise around the convention until evenings :(
They're not having you shoot any of the EW panels? Jackson/Cameron? Women in film?

TomOpus
07-13-09, 07:13 PM
I have it on good authority that the 4-day pass for next year will be a cool $100.

filmerp
07-13-09, 07:25 PM
They're not having you shoot any of the EW panels? Jackson/Cameron? Women in film?

We'll just be recording the feeds from the cameras that are already set up for those panels.

Supermallet
07-14-09, 02:14 AM

This does beg the question, should I just go into Hall H at the beginning of the day on Thursday and stay there all the way through Avatar? I figure if I do that I'll eventually be able to get pretty close to the front. On the other hand there are a few panels I'd like to see earlier in the day.

devilshalo
07-14-09, 06:04 AM
This does beg the question, should I just go into Hall H at the beginning of the day on Thursday and stay there all the way through Avatar? I figure if I do that I'll eventually be able to get pretty close to the front. On the other hand there are a few panels I'd like to see earlier in the day.
As I instruct my comic con padawans... "if one wants to attend a panel, one must try to show up at least 2 panels ahead of time to get in and get a seat."

The purpose of camping out all day in one particular hall/ballroom, is to keep moving up to front and center as panels clear out. Even if that means sitting thru panels you don't want to see.. forcing you to miss other panels in other rooms.

Thus your dilemma. If you hook up with people that you know are camping, they can try to save you a seat as they move closer to the front. Of course, comic con discourages seat saving, so... YMMV.

devilshalo
07-14-09, 06:06 AM
We'll just be recording the feeds from the cameras that are already set up for those panels.
Oh that sucks, whoever SDCC hires for their crew do really lousy jobs of filming the panels.

Supermallet
07-14-09, 02:59 PM
As I instruct my comic con padawans... "if one wants to attend a panel, one must try to show up at least 2 panels ahead of time to get in and get a seat."

The purpose of camping out all day in one particular hall/ballroom, is to keep moving up to front and center as panels clear out. Even if that means sitting thru panels you don't want to see.. forcing you to miss other panels in other rooms.

Thus your dilemma. If you hook up with people that you know are camping, they can try to save you a seat as they move closer to the front. Of course, comic con discourages seat saving, so... YMMV.

Yeah, I want to see the Disney 3D panel in Hall H anyway, I'll just stick around all the way through Avatar and get the best seats I can.

Neeb
07-14-09, 09:33 PM
I have it on good authority that the 4-day pass for next year will be a cool $100.

For Pre-Reg or for the ones available year round?

And how did you come by this?

TomOpus
07-14-09, 09:45 PM
For Pre-Reg or for the ones available year round?

And how did you come by this?I was told by someone that works for Comic-Con.

Oh, there's no Pre-Reg this year. That's another "firm" rumor :)

Patman
07-14-09, 11:42 PM
Why don't they clear the rooms after each panel?

Supermallet
07-14-09, 11:58 PM
I was told by someone that works for Comic-Con.

Oh, there's no Pre-Reg this year. That's another "firm" rumor :)

No pre-reg?? Why the fuck not? I don't want to stand in line all day Tuesday or Wednesday to buy a pass. If they pull that shit, this will be my last Con.

TomOpus
07-14-09, 11:59 PM
Why don't they clear the rooms after each panel?It would take WAY too long for some of the rooms. Ballroom 20 holds 5,000 and Hall H holds 6,500. That could add another 30 mins (or more) to each panel. That means less panels. They're already holding some panels off-site at the Hilton next door because of limited time.

The smaller rooms might take less time, but the panels run back to back.... no bumper time. This would mean they would have to add bumper time to allow the time to clear the room and fill it back up. Again, less time means less panels.

TomOpus
07-15-09, 12:09 AM
No pre-reg?? Why the fuck not? I don't want to stand in line all day Tuesday or Wednesday to buy a pass. If they pull that shit, this will be my last Con.When I speak of Pre-Reg, I'm talking about the booth they usually have at Con to buy next year's pass. You should be able to register via the website.

Maybe, if they get enough complaints, they might reconsider.

Supermallet
07-15-09, 06:10 AM
Oh, ok. That's fine then. :)

Patman
07-15-09, 08:32 AM
It would take WAY too long for some of the rooms. Ballroom 20 holds 5,000 and Hall H holds 6,500. That could add another 30 mins (or more) to each panel. That means less panels. They're already holding some panels off-site at the Hilton next door because of limited time.

The smaller rooms might take less time, but the panels run back to back.... no bumper time. This would mean they would have to add bumper time to allow the time to clear the room and fill it back up. Again, less time means less panels.

I was thinking the logistics would be the issue. I wish my hometown con (Dragon*Con) would go back to not clearing the rooms after each of the larger panel rooms, but with so many people taking up seats just to see one panel later in the day, there were some panels that had seats taking up by those not all that interested in the current panel that could have gone to actual fans of those on the panel. But clearing the room makes it hard to get good seats and see multiple panels easily. I guess larger and larger attendance numbers makes for such headaches on the con-runners and con-goers.

devilshalo
07-15-09, 12:08 PM
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118005970.html?categoryid=1682&cs=1

Thought this was an interesting article and pretty accurate as far as the hype surrounding things that showcase at Comic Con but fizzle in the real world.

Ash Ketchum
07-15-09, 12:47 PM

What's an EW panel? It certainly can't be Entertainment Weekly.

Supermallet
07-15-09, 03:45 PM
Yes, it can. Entertainment Weekly puts on panels.

TomOpus
07-15-09, 06:31 PM
1 week to go.... :banana:

Blu Man
07-15-09, 09:21 PM
God, I really want to go after seeing what's going on. Damn it.

Neeb
07-16-09, 01:50 AM
When I speak of Pre-Reg, I'm talking about the booth they usually have at Con to buy next year's pass. You should be able to register via the website.

Maybe, if they get enough complaints, they might reconsider.

But not in time to set something up for 2010 reg.

Can't believe they'd get rid of Pre-Reg, do they want another "Hotel-o-ween" on their hands?

(Thanks for the info)

jdslater1
07-16-09, 01:12 PM
I live in the UK and was wondering if someone could get me one of the exclusives? I will pay all costs obviously with paypal and return the favour if they ever want something from the UK (if you are that desperate!).
I want the Ghostbusters Minimates if possible.

Supermallet
07-16-09, 01:17 PM
If I see them I'll grab them for you.

jdslater1
07-16-09, 02:02 PM
That would be great, if you could 2 sets that would be awesome!

Supermallet
07-16-09, 02:32 PM
I'll PM you if I get any.

jdslater1
07-16-09, 02:47 PM
Cheers, mate.

TomOpus
07-17-09, 08:12 AM
I'll PM you if I get any.Comic-Con is not a dating service.

Ok, it might be:

Jane Wiedlin (guitarist of the Go-Go's) says she's an ordained minister and is willing to marry people during Con. Might be too late this year but there's always next year (she's become a regular).

TomOpus
07-17-09, 05:58 PM
Added to the website: Free wifi sponsored by iGoogle. All areas except the exhibit floor.

MBoyd
07-17-09, 09:43 PM
Nice. The wife will be all over that.

We are in Flagstaff now. Still meandering out there. Been to Santa Fe, Taos, Mesa Verde. Going to the Grand Canyon and Vegas tomorrow for a couple of days.

Supermallet
07-18-09, 02:16 AM
OK, so some of my friends are saying they're going to line up for Hall H at 3 AM because the idiot Twilight tweens line up the day before. Is this true? Am I going to have to line up at 3 AM to see the Avatar panel? That would really make a shitty start to the Con.

discostu1337
07-18-09, 02:44 AM
Just cut in line when the panel is about to start. I had never been to panels before, and we decided to see some Kevin Smith and Family Guy ones last year. We just cut through some bushes outside and walked in with the crowd. If you care about cutting, then nevermind...but we enjoyed front row for Zack and Miri :)

TomOpus
07-18-09, 05:32 AM
OK, so some of my friends are saying they're going to line up for Hall H at 3 AM because the idiot Twilight tweens line up the day before. Is this true? Am I going to have to line up at 3 AM to see the Avatar panel? That would really make a shitty start to the Con.You won't have to line up that early to get in. You would probably want to line up that early if you wanted a really good seat. Once the Twilight panel is over, a lot of people will leave Hall H so there will be a large turnover. If you're already in when the Twilight people leave, it would be a good time to upgrade your seat... which I'm sure several hundred other people will be doing at the same time. Should be fun...lol

Damn Twilight :gah:

Supermallet
07-18-09, 12:12 PM
Holy crap! They adjusted the schedule so that Twilight comes on BEFORE Avatar! Thank the gods!

I still want to see the Disney 3D panel at 11. I may show up at 9 and just take my chances.

TomOpus
07-19-09, 07:50 AM
http://i31.tinypic.com/16hksh1.jpg

TomOpus
07-19-09, 12:00 PM
Here's a little FYI for those coming down on Wednesday:

1) If you're driving down from LA., the Del Mar horse racing season opens on Weds. Gates open at 11:30. Expect heavy traffic as you get close to that area.
2) If you didn't know, the Padre game planned for 7:05pm was rescheduled to 12:35pm. Since badge pick-up starts at 3pm, there might be parking issues along with extra traffic as there will be an influx of Comic-Con attendees and an outpouring of baseball fans. Keep this in mind if you're flexible in your plans.

There are no other Padre home games during Con :)

TomOpus
07-19-09, 11:44 PM
http://i28.tinypic.com/28klixw.jpg

TomOpus
07-21-09, 07:11 PM
Looks like the weather will be in the mid to high 70's down by the coast. Might be a little humid by the weekend.

For those with an iPod Touch/iPhone, there's a Comic-Con app that's pretty cool. Schedules, maps...etc. It's free, of course :)

Supermallet
07-21-09, 10:06 PM
Awesome! Downloading now. Driving down tomorrow, hitting up the Con Thursday-Saturday.

Edit: Holy crap! I totally missed that Ponyo ad! I'm totally there.

TomOpus
07-22-09, 09:28 AM
Looking at the maps, the Pre-Reg desk is upstairs under the sails again. Either the person that told me was incorrect, they changed their mind or the map is wrong.

madcougar
07-22-09, 09:40 AM
For those with an iPod Touch/iPhone, there's a Comic-Con app that's pretty cool. Schedules, maps...etc. It's free, of course :)

There's an app for that?

Superman07
07-22-09, 09:42 AM
Yup, I saw it last night. It's from SyFY - think it's towards the top on the top 50 free.

TomOpus
07-22-09, 09:55 AM
No... the SyFy one isn't the official app. The official one has the Comic-Con logo.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=324322177&mt=8

Gizmo
07-22-09, 02:44 PM
What's a good site to get the latest Comic con news?

MBoyd
07-22-09, 06:49 PM
At the super secret meet up spot with TomOpus right now. :)

filmerp
07-22-09, 07:11 PM
How do I join the Comic con group in MBoyd's sig? I'm working at the Hard Rock now but will be shooting stuff on the floor tonight and will be at three panels.

MBoyd
07-22-09, 07:20 PM
Have to buy a membership. Barely anyone joins these groups though. Really it's only me Tom and Supermallet. We will be updating here.

filmerp
07-22-09, 07:23 PM
Ok, wheres the grand otter meetup then?

Terrell
07-22-09, 10:50 PM
Here's the official trailer from Kate Beckinsale's film Whiteout, supposedly from Comic-Con.

http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/881378/whiteout/videos/whiteout_trailerpremiere_072209.html/

Supermallet
07-22-09, 11:40 PM
I'm planning on getting in line for Hall H tomorrow at 8 AM. Hopefully that's enough time to get me into the Disney 3D panel. I think I may also have to bring an axe to kill the Twilight idiots who will no doubt be crowding the line.

MBoyd
07-23-09, 12:41 AM
Ok, wheres the grand otter meetup then?

Was at Hooters tonight. My wife got bored by 4:30 and wanted to go shopping so we did that until the preview opened. Hopefully I will see Tom tomorrow in Hall H. I'll post here when I am in Hall H and maybe anyone around can make it over. Or PM me your number and I will send a text when I am in there.

DJariya
07-23-09, 04:05 AM
Okay, I have a question for those who successfully purchased tickets. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get tickets this year because I waited too long.

What is the earliest date they go on sale? or what is the latest timeframe you should look into getting tickets? I heard 2010 tickets would probably go on sale soon after this one is done. I was actually thinking about going this year and looked into getting tickets in March, however every day except Sunday was already sold out.

I would like to make a much better attempt to go in 2010. Any advice would be appreciated.

I guess I will be downloading Comic Con News off the X-Box Live.

TomOpus
07-23-09, 07:05 AM
At the super secret meet up spot with TomOpus right now. :)Nice to see you again and it was great meeting your wife. Hopefully she didn't put too bad a dent in the nest-egg. :)

TomOpus
07-23-09, 07:07 AM
What is the earliest date they go on sale? or what is the latest timeframe you should look into getting tickets? I heard 2010 tickets would probably go on sale soon after this one is done. Yes, check the website on a weekly basis after Comic-Con ends. That way you'll get a good jump on tickets for 2010.

MBoyd
07-23-09, 09:40 AM
Trying to leave the hotel now. Not making it there at 8AM. :(

Gizmo
07-23-09, 01:09 PM
Okay, I have a question for those who successfully purchased tickets. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get tickets this year because I waited too long.

What is the earliest date they go on sale? or what is the latest timeframe you should look into getting tickets? I heard 2010 tickets would probably go on sale soon after this one is done. I was actually thinking about going this year and looked into getting tickets in March, however every day except Sunday was already sold out.

I would like to make a much better attempt to go in 2010. Any advice would be appreciated.

I guess I will be downloading Comic Con News off the X-Box Live.

If they were not free for me, I always bought them the day of the show. Do they not do that anymore?

Supermallet
07-23-09, 01:15 PM
All tickets sell out online before the schedules are even announced.

I'm with Mboyd in line for Hall H. The hope is that we'll get in for the Disney 3D panel.

DJariya
07-23-09, 01:20 PM
If they were not free for me, I always bought them the day of the show. Do they not do that anymore?

You have to pre-purchase your tickets well in advance. No tickets sold at door. I read somewhere that the Thursday through Saturday days were sold out by January.

I'll be more prepared for next year.

Double_Oh_7
07-23-09, 01:39 PM
Trying to leave the hotel now. Not making it there at 8AM. :(

What is this, Twitter??

MBoyd
07-23-09, 01:52 PM
What is this, Twitter??

Yes it is. We are standing in line still. I am about to eat a protein bar. Supermallet and I are chatting about movies. First panel is closed.

Supermallet
07-23-09, 03:27 PM
Made it into Hall H. Random 3D content is being shown. Saw a bit of The Hole and Final Destination 3D. Now we have to sit through Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and *gag* Twilight before getting to Avatar.

Supermallet
07-23-09, 04:03 PM
Just saw the Astro Boy trailer. Looked generic. Then Sorority Row. Looks as bad as it did the first time I saw the trailer. Now it's on to Twilight. Mboyd might have to stop me from slitting my own wrists. The fangirls are going nuts. Makes me wish I had brought a dirty bomb or something.

Also, when did Chris Weitz become the guy to direct really shitty fantasy films? Kristen Stewart is in full on Joan Jett mode, with crazy hair and she's even moving like Joan. Kind of funny to look at. All the dolts gasped when she walked in looking like that.

Edit: Uch, these Twilight fans are really pathetic. It's creepy, actually, to see 43-year old women fawning over men who are virtually teenagers. And they're all really overt about it, too. I might need to take a shower to clean off the grime.

TomOpus
07-23-09, 04:21 PM
I am right outside Hall H...about to be let in for Avatar.

Supermallet
07-23-09, 04:22 PM
I will say, though, I was never interested in Kristen Stewart before but she is looking hot as Joan Jett.

AnonomusBob15
07-23-09, 04:53 PM
I am right outside Hall H...about to be let in for Avatar.

Exciting.

Enjoy the show

And then report back please :)

Quack
07-23-09, 05:34 PM
What are we to hear about Tron: Legacy?

www.flynnlives.com has a countdown.....hmmmm

Gizmo
07-23-09, 08:23 PM
I will say, though, I was never interested in Kristen Stewart before but she is looking hot as Joan Jett.

Thank you!

Now go watch Twilight. I've seen it a bajillion times.

Gizmo
07-23-09, 08:26 PM
You have to pre-purchase your tickets well in advance. No tickets sold at door. I read somewhere that the Thursday through Saturday days were sold out by January.

I'll be more prepared for next year.

Oh wow. I went a few years ago and bought on the spot...guess that's changed. Looks like I won't be driving up any time soon.

fumanstan
07-23-09, 08:45 PM
Now go watch Twilight. I've seen it a bajillion times.

What are you, a 13 year old girl? :) :p

Superman07
07-23-09, 08:49 PM
By the way check out today's Google logo.

Blu Man
07-23-09, 08:53 PM

Speaking of which, I was reading an articale a week back talking about the success of the new Harry Potter film and it stated that the age group of people watching it is getting increasingly older. Now older teens are starting to watch Harry Potter.

devilshalo
07-23-09, 10:15 PM
You people were in line at 8am and expected to make the first panel? Hahahaha.... oh well, didn't miss much.. only an appearance by Johnny Depp.

nodeerforamonth
07-23-09, 10:37 PM
Why is this in Movie Talk? Why not TV Talk? Or the Comic Book forum? Or Sports (for all the wrestling stuff that's there)? Or Book Talk?

Busiest, most crowded Comic-Con EVER! Wow! Preview night used to be a nice mellow get together with hardly anyone there. Last year it was like the average Thursday Con day. Now it's like a Saturday! WOW!

nodeerforamonth
07-23-09, 10:40 PM
I was actually thinking about going this year and looked into getting tickets in March, however every day except Sunday was already sold out.

If it's not too late for you for this year, keep going to comic-con.org and click on the link for official tickets on e-bay ("buy it now") that get put on sale for normal prices at random times. You may have to sign up for some sort of "twitter" deal to get up to date news regarding it.

MBoyd
07-23-09, 11:21 PM
As much as I hated waiting (and sitting through the Twilight screaming), it was worth it to see the Avatar footage and Terry Gilliam. We'll be there all day tomorrow, then we're done.

Patman
07-23-09, 11:23 PM
Was Avatar all that and a bag of chips?

Supermallet
07-23-09, 11:37 PM
Pretty much.

Today was busy as hell. I forgot to grab my badges for tomorrow and Saturday, so I'll probably get there at 7 AM tomorrow to stand in line forever to get them. Lovely.

TomOpus
07-23-09, 11:42 PM
I'll be getting there around the same time tomorrow. But I'll probably be there late (thinking about the screening for Ponyo) and might camp out for Hall H. At the very least I'll be there around 4am.

Supermallet
07-23-09, 11:45 PM
I'm probably going to have to skip the Ponyo screening because I'm seeing Mighty Boosh live at 10 PM and need to have dinner in between the Visionaries panel and the show.

tronmaster
07-24-09, 12:22 AM
What are we to hear about Tron: Legacy?

www.flynnlives.com has a countdown.....hmmmm

Greetings Program!

Seems like there is another one here:

http://www.homeoftron.com/

Plus here is some photos from Comic Con 2009!

http://www.tron-sector.com/forums/default.aspx?do=top&id=372052

I can't wait! The PC game sequel was great and the comic book was cool also. But to have Jeff Bridges back is really awesome. I need to go listen to my 20th anniversary Tron soundtrack and watch Tron again.

End of Line.

starman9000
07-24-09, 06:59 AM
Is anyone attending the Farscape panel? I'd be interested to hear if they talk about the supposed webisodes.

Supermallet
07-24-09, 11:20 AM
Now in room 6A for the Coraline panel. This is one of the few things Neil Gaiman is showing up for.

Matthew Ackerly
07-24-09, 11:51 AM
When is the Lost panel?

MBoyd
07-24-09, 12:12 PM
Tomorrow in hall h. 10 I think.

Kal-El
07-24-09, 01:11 PM
Anybody going to the Smallville panel on Sunday? There's rumors circling about that they're gonna unveil their version of a Superman costume with Tom Welling flying in to model it for everybody.

Ash Ketchum
07-24-09, 01:22 PM
When is the Lost panel?

The question is, where is the lost panel? This place is huge, we've been looking for them all day. :blush:

Gizmo
07-24-09, 02:19 PM

24 year old guy. Yeah, we all have guilty pleasures. Now, go finish season two of Hannah Montana ;)

Supermallet
07-24-09, 04:33 PM
Coraline panel was excellent. While roaming the floor I came upon a Jeff Smith signing and got the one volume edition of Bone signed by him. Now watching some terrible pilot waiting for the Mighty Boosh panel to start.

MBoyd
07-24-09, 04:47 PM
Miyazaki cut in front of me at the bathroom in Hall H before his panel. Why the hell are they making him use that filthy place? Also saw a guy get removed for recording the Ponyo footage. I thought he was going to cry.

filmerp
07-24-09, 09:21 PM
Watching the James Cameron/Peter Jackson panel now. A couple minutes in, a guy in an uber-nerd outfit and toy gun stormed the stage and started drinking Jackson's water before security pulled him off. Jackson and Cameron looked pretty dumbfounded and thought the other one had set it up... Someone said the crazy guy was climbing around the circular rafters earlier on the second floor. Pretty funny moment!

edstein
07-24-09, 10:04 PM
Any good slide shows out there of pics from the show?

MBoyd
07-24-09, 10:37 PM
Watching the James Cameron/Peter Jackson panel now. A couple minutes in, a guy in an uber-nerd outfit and toy gun stormed the stage and started drinking Jackson's water before security pulled him off. Jackson and Cameron looked pretty dumbfounded and thought the other one had set it up... Someone said the crazy guy was climbing around the circular rafters earlier on the second floor. Pretty funny moment!

There was a guy at the WB panel who had a camera and asked Megan Fox to make a sex tape for him. Later during the 9 panel, a guy asked Tim Burton a question, then in a follow-up said "Do you remember me? I . . . " and they cut his mic. Wonder what that one was?

Same people are asking the same or similar questions all day. Gets tiring.

TomOpus
07-24-09, 11:56 PM
Watching the James Cameron/Peter Jackson panel now. I was surprised when Cameron said they are converting "Titantic" into 3D. Did not know that.

I made it into Hall H just in time for the Disney/Pixar Animation panel. Great stuff... almost shed a tear when Miyazaki showed up. I was in awe.

MBoyd
07-25-09, 12:27 AM
Tom, I got your text, but once again my texts wouldn't go out inside Hall H. I could receive calls, but couldn't make them.

How was District 9?

TomOpus
07-25-09, 12:31 AM
Looks totally awesome... better than the trailer.

Blu Man
07-25-09, 11:26 AM
I was surprised when Cameron said they are converting "Titantic" into 3D. Did not know that.

Yeah, he said that in an interview awile ago.

What kind of stuff did Cameron and Jackson talk about? Did it mostly have to do with 3D?

filmerp
07-25-09, 01:36 PM
Yes, much of the panel was about how to make 3d viable for distribution, tv, etc. The entire panel will be up on EW soon

OldBoy
07-25-09, 06:58 PM
was it me or did G4's coverage suck? i kinda had this on in the background and saw nothing of note-worthiness. were there any good trailers or anything? because i did not see any...

i could of sworn their coverage last year was much better with lots of movie trailers...

Gizmo
07-25-09, 08:04 PM
So were any of you guys one of the six people that went to the Heroes panel?

LickTheABCs
07-25-09, 08:15 PM
was it me or did G4's coverage suck? i kinda had this on in the background and saw nothing of note-worthiness. were there any good trailers or anything? because i did not see any...

i could of sworn their coverage last year was much better with lots of movie trailers...

Hey, it gave me Olivia in an Emma Frost outfit.

and for that it was worthy.

Cellar Door
07-25-09, 09:44 PM
Olivia did, indeed, look great in that costume. :hump:

The G4 stuff was okay, but not great. They had interviews with some interesting people (Peter Jackson, District 9 director, Seth Green, LOST actors, Elijah Wood, Jon Favreau, couple of True Blood actors, etc). The problem was that they were just all very short interviews. Nothing really in-depth. During the Star Wars panel, it was hard to tell how well Kevin and Olivia's 'humor' went over with the audience (no audience shots and the mics weren't picking up much laughter or applause.

Supermallet
07-25-09, 10:50 PM
I stood in line for 2 hours waiting for Iron Man, only to be told we weren't going to be let in. I'm done with going on Saturday. From now on it's Thursday and Friday only.

I'm at home now, and looking through my haul, the best two items I got were 1) A copy of the one volume Bone collection signed and personalized by Jeff Smith and 2) an original copy of Heavy Metal issue one in great condition. Everything else I picked up was TPB's for $5 a pop.

OldBoy
07-25-09, 11:40 PM
were there any exclusive trailers shown? any "Iron Man 2" footage that is online now?

fitprod
07-26-09, 06:29 AM
I stood in line for 2 hours waiting for Iron Man, only to be told we weren't going to be let in. I'm done with going on Saturday. From now on it's Thursday and Friday only.

I'm at home now, and looking through my haul, the best two items I got were 1) A copy of the one volume Bone collection signed and personalized by Jeff Smith and 2) an original copy of Heavy Metal issue one in great condition. Everything else I picked up was TPB's for $5 a pop.

Just remember, it's very likely 2010's Friday will be the new Saturday.

All I know is that in 2005 & 2006 I was able buy the 4-day pass about two weeks before the show. In 2007 I had to buy it by the end of June, and 2008 I bought it in May. I believe the 4-day passes were gone by the end of April this year, I don't remember.

I saw these problems coming last year, and have sworn off Comic-Con until they move to a new venue that can actually handle the crowds. I think they have a deal with San Diego until 2013 or something like that. Unless they cut back on the amount of attendees (remember they eliminated at the door sales in 2008) these problems are going to get worse.

fitprod

LorenzoL
07-26-09, 07:21 AM
I made it into Hall H just in time for the Disney/Pixar Animation panel. Great stuff... almost shed a tear when Miyazaki showed up. I was in awe.
I would had loved to see that panel. Very talented man.

LorenzoL
07-26-09, 08:24 AM
I saw these problems coming last year, and have sworn off Comic-Con until they move to a new venue that can actually handle the crowds. I think they have a deal with San Diego until 2013 or something like that. Unless they cut back on the amount of attendees (remember they eliminated at the door sales in 2008) these problems are going to get worse.

fitprod
I was reading this article in regards to Comic-Con and came across this:
Rumours persist that the annual convention, now celebrating its 40th year here, may soon relocate to Las Vegas. The move, assure insiders, would not be permanent. It would seem that the show has simply outgrown the San Diego Convention Center, which would renovate not just to suit the expanding needs of Comic-Con, but to attract other lucrative convention business.
http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/671960

TomOpus
07-26-09, 08:33 AM
were there any exclusive trailers shown? any "Iron Man 2" footage that is online now?They showed footage from the movie along with a montage that looked like it could be a trailer (the last image was War Machine in action which elicited crowd yells). Yeah, it kicked all kinds of ass. Panel was Jon, Robert, Scarlett (yum), Sam Rockwell and Don Cheadle. Very fun time.

TomOpus
07-26-09, 08:37 AM

fitprodUh, if they move to a larger venue, they'll just sell MORE tickets. No way they will cut back on attendees unless they charge $300 for a 4-day pass. As it is now, last year I paid $65 and next year will cost $100. That a pretty hefty price jump but people will still pay it.

TomOpus
07-26-09, 08:56 AM
I stood in line for 2 hours waiting for Iron Man, only to be told we weren't going to be let in. I'm done with going on Saturday. From now on it's Thursday and Friday only.Bummers, Daniel. Saturday was my "camping out in Hall H line" day. Got there WAY early in the am. The fun part of line sitting is getting to know your neighbors. This year met some really nice people from PA, WI and northern CA. For a few, it was their first Con and the guy behind me won a radio contest (involved a photo of him dressed as a super hero and his naked grandmother).

Life has been made a little easier for us line sitters. More security to keep the chaos to a minimum, access to the bathrooms in Hall G at any hour and the new next door Hilton has a Starbucks. It might not be everyone's cup 'o tea but I have fun... plus I was in front left section for "Iron Man 2".

nodeerforamonth
07-26-09, 09:11 AM
The funny thing is, 2007 & 2008 Cons were the first cons that "sold out" and things were way more in control than the 2006 & 2005 Cons because the # of people were limited. This years' was also "sold out", but for some reason, there were way more people there than ever. Much more crowded than 2006.

2007 & earlier, you used to be able to just walk into any panel you wanted to and walk out when you wanted to. Last year & this year, you have to camp out for hours just to see the Simpsons/Futurama or Ray Bradbury panels!

Anyone know what news they had regarding Futurama? I heard last week on Stern that they were bringing it back to TV, but there none of the voice actors were being paid enough so they're not signing on. Any news yesterday?

devilshalo
07-26-09, 10:42 AM
Live and learn. Unless you are in the Hall H line by 6am, you're probably not going to get in at all. Looking at the schedule, your best bet would have been to be in line by 9am, so once the Lost panel lets out at 12pm, the departing crowd might free up enough room to let you in during the next two panels and then you'd wait til 4pm for Iron Man.

Thursday was probably the worst, since the Twilighters were in line overnight. No one got up to leave the panels until after the Twilight cast left the stage. Getting in the Hall H line at 5am, by the time I got in I was already in the back 1/3 of the seating. By Friday line, you could see the impact. I got in line at 6am and was 4 rows from the stage.

You learn, you sacrifice. I heard there were a ton of tweener girls bawling their eyes out that they couldn't make it into the Twilight panel, reminiscent of a Beatles moment.

Supermallet
07-26-09, 12:01 PM
See, I got in line around 9:30 for Hall H on Thursday and made it in before the Twilight panel (not what I wanted to see, mind you, but I was waiting for Avatar). I didn't need to get there at 6 AM or 3 AM or whatever. And frankly, it's not worth it to me to get there at 6 AM to see a couple of minutes of footage from a movie. Usually Hall H has two panels I want to see, not a whole day's worth. I just feel like I'm wasting my time seeing the panels in between, and the chairs are so fucking uncomfortable. Given that there's nothing like Avatar coming next year (i.e. a film that's been in the works for years and years with no footage shown at all prior to the con), I may not even bother. While $5 graphic novels are nice, at this point it's not worth the hassle of the crowds, the parking, and so on.

And as for getting to know the people waiting in line with me, somehow I always end up standing in line with people who make the comic book geek from the Simpsons look like a normal guy. And they almost invariably have lisps. What is up with that?

devilshalo
07-26-09, 12:33 PM
Most of the time, it turns into a concert atmosphere where you want to rush the stage and be as close to the stars you want to see on top of viewing exclusive footage. I often think is this my last con? As thinking ahead and fighting crowds, to wait in line so early every morning to be in the front row at panels, it becomes more and more of a chore. At least there won't be any Twilight panel next year.

Maybe you should experience Wonder Con... smaller, more intimate, less crowded and comes BEFORE the summer films.

Supermallet
07-26-09, 12:40 PM
Isn't Wonder Con in San Fran, though? I like Comic Con because San Diego isn't that bad of a drive and I have family there so I never pay to stay.

I don't know, I'll still probably end up going Thursday and Friday next year, but will just try and hit the smaller panels.

filmerp
07-26-09, 01:57 PM
Yeah, he said that in an interview awile ago.

What kind of stuff did Cameron and Jackson talk about? Did it mostly have to do with 3D?

Here's some panel video on their thoughts on 3D (http://www.ew.com/ew/package/0,,20213067_20214927,00.html?bcpid=27761062001&bclid=30413172001&bctid=30696569001)

And if you're interested in seeing the stage crasher (http://www.ew.com/ew/package/0,,20213067_20214927,00.html?bcpid=27761062001&bclid=30413172001&bctid=30636507001)

TomOpus
07-26-09, 01:59 PM
I hear ya and understand. I still enjoy it... Maybe I'm more patient.

Anywho, just met Leonard Nimoy. He was doing a signing w/Brent Spiner and there were 5 people in line...figured why not.

TomOpus
07-26-09, 02:55 PM
Hey gang, I was just in the PreReg line and they said if you get your passes online it might not include Preview Night. They have not decided. If they do, it will be extra.

Supermallet
07-26-09, 02:57 PM
I hear ya and understand. I still enjoy it... Maybe I'm more patient.

Anywho, just met Leonard Nimoy. He was doing a signing w/Brent Spiner and there were 5 people in line...figured why not.

That blows my mind. Yesterday I got a booklet signed by Mike Mignola. No one else was around. He took the money for the booklet directly. No aides, no one else even manning the booth. I got to chat with him for a bit because I had met him previously at a Hellboy II event. You'd think at a comic book convention the creator of Hellboy would garner a little more attention than that. Same thing with Brent Spiner and Leonard Nimoy. Especially Nimoy.

RE: Preview Night, that makes sense to me. Preview Night has become like a Thursday or Friday on the floor. Seems like a good idea to limit the amount of people who are able to go in.

Patman
07-26-09, 04:24 PM
They already limited who can get into Preview night: 4-day badge buyers. Is that too many people? This smells like just more cash grab-ness.

Patman
07-26-09, 04:31 PM
BTW, Leonard Nimoy is going to get a lot more love at Dragon*Con in September. Comicon might as well be called PopCultureCon, meaning it's all about the now and the near future. And yet, I still contemplate going to San Diego next year against my gut instinct.

It's kinda sad to read the blogs, tweets, facebook entries by comic pro's about how they are basically slummed out with their section in the convention center, while the vast majority are all over the TV/Movie panels. But then again, more people watch TV shows and movies than read/buy comics these days.

OldBoy
07-26-09, 05:01 PM
They showed footage from the movie along with a montage that looked like it could be a trailer (the last image was War Machine in action which elicited crowd yells). Yeah, it kicked all kinds of ass. Panel was Jon, Robert, Scarlett (yum), Sam Rockwell and Don Cheadle. Very fun time.

none of that posted online though?

Solid Snake
07-26-09, 05:29 PM
I'd like to just a finished version of what War Machine looked like.

Kicker_of_Elves
07-26-09, 05:34 PM
none of that posted online though?

I've only been able to find videos of the panel with footage from the movie cut out of it. I say give it a couple of days after Comic-Con ends and then it'll probably be all over the net.

Supermallet
07-26-09, 05:40 PM
They already limited who can get into Preview night: 4-day badge buyers. Is that too many people? This smells like just more cash grab-ness.

It really is too many people. Preview Night used to be a nice leisurely stroll across the exhibition hall floor. Now it's jam packed and just like any other day.

TomOpus
07-26-09, 08:34 PM
none of that posted online though?Do a search and I'm sure you'll find it. Earlier today, I did find some stuff but might be gone by now.

kstublen
07-26-09, 09:15 PM
Did we ever get a straight answer of why Don Cheadle replaced Terrence Howard as Rhodes/War Machine? This is making me not look forward to the movie at all.

Also, I read that Favreau said something along the lines of "nobody cared about Iron Man until we made the movie." That kind of pisses me off. I mean, Iron Man is a well known super hero and has been for many years. I guess you could argue he wasn't as well known as Superman or Batman or Spider-Man, but still. Sounds like Favreau is trying to take a little too much credit.

Boba Fett
07-26-09, 09:24 PM
Did we ever get a straight answer of why Don Cheadle replaced Terrence Howard as Rhodes/War Machine? This is making me not look forward to the movie at all.

Also, I read that Favreau said something along the lines of "nobody cared about Iron Man until we made the movie." That kind of pisses me off. I mean, Iron Man is a well known super hero and has been for many years. I guess you could argue he wasn't as well known as Superman or Batman or Spider-Man, but still. Sounds like Favreau is trying to take a little too much credit.
Howard tried to holdout for more money than he was worth. Frankly, Cheadle is a huge upgrade.

Jackskeleton
07-26-09, 09:45 PM
Just remember, it's very likely 2010's Friday will be the new Saturday.

All I know is that in 2005 & 2006 I was able buy the 4-day pass about two weeks before the show. In 2007 I had to buy it by the end of June, and 2008 I bought it in May. I believe the 4-day passes were gone by the end of April this year, I don't remember.

fitprod

The issues with this year's con were insane. Literally, I did not go to a single panel. Hall H wasn't even a thought of mine. Even Ball room 20, which a few years ago was something you could easily walk into has lines that stretch outside to areas that I haven't even been to in the con area.

The con really does need to get sent to vegas for a couple of years for the convention center to add in at least another expanded hall room or something.

I go to CES in Vegas and can see it play out there... Which would be nice for the sake of actually having enough room to get enough people to see the panels.

But for the better questions, why hasn't the convention runners ever bothered to re-show/re-edit the footage of the big halls like they do the masquerade and just show it again later at night. You'll have a lot of folks not try to camp out (who needs a hotel when you can cover yourself with twilight fans?) if they simply offered to show it again.

The best highlight for me this show was Flynn's arcade. I had to go back two times because it was such a bad ass place.

Jackskeleton
07-26-09, 09:47 PM
It really is too many people. Preview Night used to be a nice leisurely stroll across the exhibition hall floor. Now it's jam packed and just like any other day.

The first preview night was amazing. It really was a chance to get sketches from artist without any wait. The floor was really empty.

Over the years it's a cash grab to run and get your exclusives. To me, I really can't grasp the exclusive re-selling anymore. It's such a terrible crap shoot.

Jackskeleton
07-26-09, 09:50 PM
And since it's been a while, why not a third back to back

This years' was also "sold out", but for some reason, there were way more people there than ever. Much more crowded than 2006.

The press line really needs to be cut back. It seems that everyone with a blogspot site can get in free of charge. So while you limit the people who paid for the show, you're increasing the number of people who sneak in the back way with easy to make credentials.

Neeb
07-26-09, 10:43 PM
The con really does need to get sent to vegas for a couple of years for the convention center to add in at least another expanded hall room or something.

I go to CES in Vegas and can see it play out there... Which would be nice for the sake of actually having enough room to get enough people to see the panels.

More space would not necessarily equal more room. The Con organizers thought this in 1999/2000 when the expansion opened up. Events didn't work out that way.

What never comes up in the conversation is that while more space would be great for the Con as it currently stands, more space means more attendees.
Okay, let's say CCI find a venue that can seat 10,000 people for the BIG panels (Iron Man 2, Twilight, et al). Will they bring more people in or keep it at 6,500?
They'd get more people in. And fill up all 10,000 seats. But what if there are 15,000 people who- having heard there's a bigger venue- show up?
You turn away 5,000 and hear all about it on blogs 10 minutes later.
An increase in space means an increase in people which means an increase in the people that don't get in.
Las Vegas and LA certainly have the facilities to accommodate the show as it is now (128,000), but the show would not remain the way it is. It would get bigger because that's the reason you went and got more space. And a bigger show means more problems.
My solution:
Cap attendance at 100,000. And start charging $150 for a four day pass.
Extra money has to be used better- i.e. hire some better quality security guards (Elite guys who are using this as their second job are doing a lot of harm).
My guess is that the Con might start to shrink as the super-hero craze plays out and the 'nerd culture' moves on to something else. I'm expecting the Con to be at 70,000 by 2020.

devilshalo
07-26-09, 11:09 PM
Preview night used to be industry professionals only. Oh, how I miss those days.

nodeerforamonth
07-26-09, 11:18 PM

Yeah, well this year's preview night was like a saturday a couple years ago. There were THAT many people there!!!

nodeerforamonth
07-26-09, 11:26 PM
My solution:
Cap attendance at 100,000. And start charging $150 for a four day pass.
Extra money has to be used better- i.e. hire some better quality security guards (Elite guys who are using this as their second job are doing a lot of harm).

They started capping it a couple years ago. It never "sold out" until 2007. Before that, it was insanely packed. Like it was this year. I guess for this year, they just said "screw the fire marshall... we'll say it's 'sold out' and just keep selling tickets." Just really fucked up... after walking around for four straight days, I sat down near at a wall like myself and everyone else did to rest their feet wed-sat. Security came up and told me I couldn't sit there because it was a "fire hazard". Nevermind that no one was blocking any aisles in the area (which was a first for the whole con). I told him "this whole friggin' convention center is a 'fire hazard'"!

My guess is that the Con might start to shrink as the super-hero craze plays out and the 'nerd culture' moves on to something else. I'm expecting the Con to be at 70,000 by 2020.

LOL! Good luck on that one. Been getting bigger and bigger for 40 years straight! With absolutely NO "hit" movie or media having incredible hype this year, this was the hugest year EVER for the Con! Last year was the whole Batman thing (with every other con attendee dressed up as the joker). The year before it was something else I can't even remember (Iron Man?). The year before that, the big buzz was Revenge Of The Sith. Every year had some huge buzz worthy movie. This year had nothing (that I noticed, anyways), and it was more packed than ever.

nodeerforamonth
07-26-09, 11:29 PM
[QUOTE=Suprmallet;9597637]That blows my mind. Yesterday I got a booklet signed by Mike Mignola. No one else was around. He took the money for the booklet directly. No aides, no one else even manning the booth. I got to chat with him for a bit because I had met him previously at a Hellboy II event. You'd think at a comic book convention the creator of Hellboy would garner a little more attention than that. Same thing with Brent Spiner and Leonard Nimoy. Especially Nimoy.[quote]

Yep, unbeliveable especially considering how Walter Koeing, Nichole Nichols (sp?), & George Takei all were completely mobbed at booths in previous years!

But it's weird. Yesterday Adam West was at a booth and no one was around. Today he was at the same booth and it was PACKED around it! Same deal for Peter Mayhew.

Jackskeleton
07-26-09, 11:30 PM
Preview night is a wash no matter how you cut it. Though limiting it to 100,000 will only mean that next year's show sells out before this one ended. Which only leaves a lot of time for ticket scalping as well as a slew of non-so-pressed press passes.

nodeerforamonth
07-26-09, 11:32 PM

Oh, and the Con's non-profit.

Patman
07-26-09, 11:34 PM
I've been reading comic-related blogs, and many mention that the economy seems to have an impact on the non-Hall H attendance in terms of both the attendees and the vendors, who have down-sized their booths (if they tended to have large spaces for their setup, now down by 1/3 to 1/2 of previous booth setup sizes). Sounded like if you were there for comics-related stuff, you probably had a good time with lesser crowds this year.

NitroJMS
07-26-09, 11:58 PM
Could the Nimoy/Spiner apathy come from the fact that they are charging upwards of $75 an autograph nowadays from what I've read?

nodeerforamonth
07-27-09, 12:28 AM
I've been reading comic-related blogs, and many mention that the economy seems to have an impact on the non-Hall H attendance in terms of both the attendees and the vendors, who have down-sized their booths (if they tended to have large spaces for their setup, now down by 1/3 to 1/2 of previous booth setup sizes). Sounded like if you were there for comics-related stuff, you probably had a good time with lesser crowds this year.

I noticed 2 of the big booths (Bud Plant being one) downsizing a bit, but they charged retail for their books, so people just go to amazon anyways.

There were no "lesser crowds" this year. Today was especially packed, moreso than even yesterday (saturday; and I'm guessing because less people were in panels today).

I could at least see the floor in the comic section part of the Con yesterday. There were so many people there today, in some sections of the Con (and I'm talking the actual comic book part of the Con), at times you were almost lifted off your feet in a wave of people while trying to cruise around the booths. WAY too many people.

Neeb
07-27-09, 12:53 AM
LOL! Good luck on that one. Been getting bigger and bigger for 40 years straight! With absolutely NO "hit" movie or media having incredible hype this year, this was the hugest year EVER for the Con! Last year was the whole Batman thing (with every other con attendee dressed up as the joker). The year before it was something else I can't even remember (Iron Man?). The year before that, the big buzz was Revenge Of The Sith. Every year had some huge buzz worthy movie. This year had nothing (that I noticed, anyways), and it was more packed than ever.

The experience is getting nastier and more uncomfortable every year. And the "news" coming out of Con is little better than a press release.
Admission is guaranteed to increase, as are the related expenses (parking, hotels, etc). The people coming are bound to be higher earners who have higher expectations- and the show as it stands won't meet those expectations (I can't see a guy who earns $200K+/yr willingly subject himself or his family to some of the depredations of four days at Con).
I mean, come on- $100 bucks for a ticket, $50 for parking, $600 for a hotel, all to be within 100 meters of Johnny Depp?
The Pirates of the Caribbean DVD costs $10 and the bathrooms are not a MOPP4 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOPP) level event.
There's an ill wind heading towards Con- and something is going to change.

Jackskeleton
07-27-09, 01:16 AM
The fact that people are so gung-ho for the swag that you have to wait in a 30 minute line to sit in god damn replica chair and get a picture with green painted booth babes really says a lot about the willingness of lines.

Also, whenever I see an Elite red shirt give me a command or tell me an answer as to what is going on, I tend to ignore it. God damn annoying fucks.

Jackskeleton
07-27-09, 01:18 AM
Could the Nimoy/Spiner apathy come from the fact that they are charging upwards of $75 an autograph nowadays from what I've read?

Mark Hamill charges $100. A clear sign that voice over work doesn't pay much.

discostu1337
07-27-09, 02:05 AM

Meh, he signed my Jay and Silent Bob DVD for free a few years ago at the Con....he even wrote "Cock knocker Rules!"

Supermallet
07-27-09, 02:21 AM
By the way, to whomever said that it's easier than ever to get a press pass (it was probably Jack), you're absolutely right. Two friends of mine went at the request of a guy who was doing a "Kung Fu in comics" panel. The guy send the organizers an email two days before the Con, and my friends got 5-day press passes. All they had to do was film a single panel. Now that I know Mike Mignola runs his own booth by himself, I could probably send an email to them two days before the 2010 con from "mikemignola@hotmail.com" saying "My assistant, Daniel, will be joining me at the Con. Please give him a five day pass." It's so massive they can't possibly check every last minute email.

Boba Fett
07-27-09, 02:28 AM

He probably paid a pretty penny for a spot for signing. I've heard of him and Nimoy at other events and the fee for signing was a fraction of the costs reported here.

NitroJMS
07-27-09, 02:56 AM
He probably paid a pretty penny for a spot for signing. I've heard of him and Nimoy at other events and the fee for signing was a fraction of the costs reported here.

That's why I stick to the local cons and have never really traveled much. I've got actors like Kane Hodder ($10) and Margot Kidder ($20) for reasonable prices considering they throw in a full color glossy that'll run you $10 bucks anyway on Allposters or any other movie memorabilia site.

I remember going to Star Trek cons years ago and the autograph was thrown in as part of the admission cost (something like $20-25 bucks), which wasn't too bad considering all the costs were upfront. Now I hear about the actors charging insane amounts at Dragon Con and such, but I guess it's a lot different than if you are the only star of the con and you get a cut of 1,000 tickets.

TomOpus
07-27-09, 07:37 AM
Could the Nimoy/Spiner apathy come from the fact that they are charging upwards of $75 an autograph nowadays from what I've read?Leonard was $60 and Brent was $30. As to why the line was so short, I think people assumed the line was already long. It's hard to tell when you're out there on the exhibit floor. Security was shooing people away from stopping to take pics (which blocks the aisle). As people found out the line wasn't that long, I'm sure it got longer. I got there when they first showed up... just coincidence as I was walking through.

rexinnih
07-27-09, 07:57 AM
Meh, he signed my Jay and Silent Bob DVD for free a few years ago at the Con....he even wrote "Cock knocker Rules!"

That's cool.

Double_Oh_7
07-27-09, 11:13 AM

He did not say that. I was there, and he said no one cared about the MOVIE until the buzz started at Comic-Con. He was giving credit to the fans for making the first one a hit.

riotinmyskull
07-27-09, 11:27 AM
He did not say that. I was there, and he said no one cared about the MOVIE until the buzz started at Comic-Con. He was giving credit to the fans for making the first one a hit.

:thumbsup: this sounds more like favreau

kstublen
07-27-09, 12:06 PM

Thanks for clarifying! I didn't think it sounded like him, but wanted to make sure. That's great that he is thanking the fans for making it so big.

nodeerforamonth
07-27-09, 08:44 PM
By the way, to whomever said that it's easier than ever to get a press pass (it was probably Jack), you're absolutely right. Two friends of mine went at the request of a guy who was doing a "Kung Fu in comics" panel. The guy send the organizers an email two days before the Con, and my friends got 5-day press passes. All they had to do was film a single panel. Now that I know Mike Mignola runs his own booth by himself, I could probably send an email to them two days before the 2010 con from "mikemignola@hotmail.com" saying "My assistant, Daniel, will be joining me at the Con. Please give him a five day pass." It's so massive they can't possibly check every last minute email.

It's non-profit. They are very generous with passes.

Jackskeleton
07-27-09, 11:28 PM
Not really. Friend of mine bought one for his girlfriend and another friend of ours. That one friend ranked out on going after the cut off date for returns and he tried to call them to get it removed/refunded. They told him he was SOL but that he could at least pick up the extra pass at the con with the credit card he bought them with.

So he attempted to sell it on craigslist for cost. He got someone call him and offer him $50 for it. He declined and never sold it. Figured he would just sell it at con.

Well, when he went to pick up his passes, his girlfriend was able to get hers with her ID, but he was red flagged. Turns out that one guy who offered him below cost for the ticket was one of the heads of the ticket department and quoted the craigslist ad and told him that both his pass and the extra pass was being rejected and refunded and he wouldn't be able to get his because he tried to resell one of them online.....

So he didn't have a pass. We just ended up sneaking him in till Sunday when he was able to pick up someone's 4 day pass that only was there till Saturday. They're very generous with filling the place up with press passes for fake press... which means that company they're getting money for isn't making shit on the press pass. That should be encouragement to sell as many possible and not give all that many out free of charge.

My Other Self
07-28-09, 12:31 AM
I got a 4-day pass in 2006 when I went because my friend at the time met this guy who was one of the dudes who set up the volunteers with lines and crap like that. You only had to volunteer or "work" for like 3 hours on one day and you'd get all 4 days to yourself. Of course, after getting their badges, most people just snuck out and blended in with the crowd without actually doing anything.

I still have my badge somewhere. It was a lot of fun. I wonder if they still do that with the volunteers any longer.

nodeerforamonth
07-28-09, 08:33 PM
I've only paid once in 14 years.

TomOpus
07-28-09, 10:15 PM
Here are some Comic-Con 2009 pics (http://www.flickr.com/photos/31442335@N04/sets/72157621753499885/)

Blu Man
07-28-09, 10:38 PM
Here are some Comic-Con 2009 pics (http://www.flickr.com/photos/31442335@N04/sets/72157621753499885/)

Thanks, cool pics.

rexinnih
07-29-09, 07:56 AM
Nice pics. Thanks for sharing!

alfredog1976
07-29-09, 10:45 PM
Here are mine: Comic-Con 2009 pics (Sunday) (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e93/alfredog1976/Comic-Con%202009/)

Solid Snake
08-17-09, 11:50 PM
I'd swear there's a Kick-Ass thread but I can't find it even with that info supermallet gave me. ugh. Someone show this trailer in that thread please. Looks cool...

<object width="450" height="305"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/13131"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/13131" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="305" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

zero
08-18-09, 12:03 AM
Any leaked footage of the new Nightmare on elm street?