DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Brüno (L. Charles, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

OldBoy
07-08-09, 09:29 AM
Please continue pre-hype discussion in this thread: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/533882-sacha-baron-cohens-bruno-set-summer-09-a-5.html

Movie:
"Brüno" (2009) (Starring: Sacha Baron Cohen, Gustaf Hammarsten, Clifford Bańagale, Bono, Elton John, Slash)

Release Date:
7/10/2009

Rating:
R (for pervasive strong and crude sexual content, graphic nudity and language)

Running Time:
83 min. (1h. 23m.)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:118 Rotten:54 (69% as of 7/14/09)
RT Link... (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bruno/)

Info:
IMDb Link... (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0889583/)

Trailer:
<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/WIYJafh1bHFtSvnuVoah4g"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/WIYJafh1bHFtSvnuVoah4g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

Poster Art:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/scott1598/Movie%20Posters/bruno.jpg

mdc3000
07-08-09, 10:22 AM
Posted this in the other thread but since it's a mini-review, I'll put it here:

Saw this last night - HILARIOUS and outrageous. Very offensive, tons more (mostly male) nudity than I expected. If you liked Borat, you'll like this, as it's pretty much more of the same - the structures of both movies are very similar and have a lot of the same beats. I really liked this, even if I didn't think it was as genius/funny as Borat was - it still has a lot of jaw droppingly funny moments and ends with a great music video. Fans won't be disappointed but this movie isn't going to make any new converts...

I do think the reason Borat still edges it out is that Borat himself is fairly innocent and the humour feels less mean spirited, plus the idea was so fresh then... Bruno is hilarious but his self involved schtick can get to be a little much - but there are bits in this movie that had the audience howling and covering their eyes. Definitely the stuff with his son is the highlight for me and I actually thought unlike Borat which has a few lulls in the last act, Bruno only got funnier as it went, with the second half delivering more laughs than the first. I think due to the nature of the subject matter here, it won't be as popular as Borat (homosexuality, his trip to 'middle earth' etc.) but I'll definitely see it again once it opens.

I just kept thinking that I really wish he'd made the Ali G movie in this style, since I definitely prefer Ali over Bruno...but I guess Indahouse will have to do :) 4/5

OldBoy
07-08-09, 02:40 PM
^^^ nice review mdc.

it sounds exactly like what i was expecting. funny and shockingly hilarious, but since "Borat" happened not as original. but, sounds like a lot of new scenarios and of course different character that would make it no less a fun time.

probably see a matinee sometime since 83 minutes is just so short to pay full price. even at $7.00 it is a little hard to justify, but whatyagonnado.

Indy Jones Fan
07-08-09, 04:44 PM
Much more lewd and crude than Borat but not as consistantly funny either. It was also more scripted than Borat which didn't work as well in my opinion. Not sure how it got away with an R rating.

The Bus
07-10-09, 01:27 AM
Saw the midnight showing of this and there were a few moments

the "second Austrian" comment, the spinning dicks

where I was crying from laughing so hard. It also did a slightly better job of being really incisive, especially with the segment where

parents are willing to put their children through anything so they can be famous.

It's a short movie but it doesn't need to be — and can't — be any longer. It is scripted, but it is scripted better: this one actually has a plot that halfway makes sense, as opposed to Borat's flinchingly stupid "get Pam Anderson" plot point.

The humor isn't as weirdly smart, but it's still great. They do a much better job of exploiting The Office-style gags of awkwardness.

Recommended, and highly recommended to fans of Borat.

Supermallet
07-10-09, 04:45 AM
Short review: Funny, but not as much as Borat.

Slightly longer review: Bruno is to Borat as Gaucho is to Aja. That is to say, where the first work was seamless (Borat, Aja), the second (Gaucho, Bruno) shows the seams. Whereas Borat was fresh, surprising, and had a sense of wide-eyed wonder in the innocent Borat, Bruno is vulgar, brash, but still frequently hilarious. The character of Bruno is not as clueless as Borat, which allows him to make sharper digs at his subjects (a scene where he consults a pair of PR women in particular prove how much more targeted Bruno can be). Half the fun of Borat was in watching a guy who would be "normal" in Kazakhstan (or at least the film's version of it) come to America, and the humor comes from the cultural misunderstandings. Bruno is an outsider even in Austria, where he may be famous, but he certainly isn't normal. And since he never tries to be normal, he never appears as much of a surprising contrast as Borat does. That is to say, the humor in Borat comes from the normality of Kazakhstan rubbing against the normality of America, and showing just how different the two can be. Bruno is much more in your face, and thus less outrageous, because it's actually trying to be outlandish, whereas Borat was simply being "himself." Plus, there's the feeling that we've seen this all before, but in a much more organic setting.

That being said, the film is hilarious, with all sorts of outrageous goings-on that you wouldn't expect to see in a movie, even one that's been marketed the way Bruno has. It works well as Borat's younger, less talented sibling. However, this movie proves it's time for Cohen to move on to a new modus operandi, because a third film in this style would be pushing it.

OldBoy
07-10-09, 06:22 PM
here we go...

wendersfan
07-10-09, 07:11 PM
Bruno is to Borat as Gaucho is to Aja.I really wasn't expecting a Steely Dan reference in this thread. :lol:

Larry C.
07-10-09, 09:38 PM
Man caught the midnight showing last night and I laughed my ass off. Great stuff.

Mittman
07-10-09, 10:46 PM
if you thought the blair witch project was real, you'll get a kick out of this one. otherwise save your $11.

big whoppa
07-10-09, 11:18 PM
I read that Bruno had LaToya Jackson impersonating her brother Michael while she's sitting on a Mexican dude who is on all fours. But it was cut from the movie out of respect for the Jackson family.

I really want to see Bruno badly. I hadn't laughed in a movie theater like I did when I caught Borat. I was completely surprised at how funny it was.

chris_sc77
07-10-09, 11:18 PM
I thought it was very, very funny. Maybe even more so that Borat. I feel this one may end up being even more re-watchable than Borat also even though Bruno was my least favorite character on the TV show it may be my. fav. movie.
It was pretty crazy and outrageous though. I hope we get a longer DVD edition cause I still wanna see more of this.
4.5 out of 5 stars.

Mike86
07-10-09, 11:27 PM
I got talked into going with some friends to this. I have to say I didn't really like it very much at all. It seemed like they were just trying to be as outrageous as possible to get cheap laughs. There were a few funny moments but overall it just was way too over the top for my tastes. I'm usually not one to have a really high standard for silly comedies like this but I just didn't find this very funny at all.

Throwing Copper
07-10-09, 11:50 PM
It had some really funny parts and didn't need to be any longer. The crowd seemed to really like it.

It still seems to be a definite NC-17 though.

Patman
07-11-09, 12:05 AM
Yes, quite a bit of shocking footage in this film about Bruno, a gay, Austrian, fashion show host who finds himself on the outside of fame looking in when he finally wears out his welcome. The rest of the film follows Bruno to the US where he tries to raise his celebrity status to A-lister status, but finds that goal to be a tough row to hoe.

The film gets funnier as it goes along, but it's a bit of a chore to sit through the first half, in spite of the outrageous footage we are shown, the pacing isn't good, and the overall concept just sputters too much because Bruno just isn't that compelling of a character, even with his remarkable lack of depth being almost too high a hurdle to overcome.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

Supermallet
07-11-09, 03:58 AM
I really wasn't expecting a Steely Dan reference in this thread. :lol:

Gotta keep you on your toes! :D

wendersfan
07-11-09, 07:16 AM
Gotta keep you on your toes! :DJust let me know when Cohen makes his Pretzel Logic and I'll be there on opening night. :)

Spiderbite
07-11-09, 11:29 AM
I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

Wouldn't a C+ equate to 3.5 stars?

Anyway, that's what I gave it...3.5 stars.

Decent movie but if you have seen Borat, it feels like it treads mostly the same ground and doesn't feel as fresh. But there are some absolute gems in the movie that you don't want to miss if you like his brand of humor.

It was a lot of fun seeing it in a packed house in Alabama on opening night since several of the scenes take place here. Yeah, I know it makes us look stupid once again...but damn it was funny.

I also think I laughed a lot more because the audience was so into it and I was also quite drunk and stoned at the time. :)

The biggest difference between the two movies is the dialect. His dialect and destroying the English language was fantastic in Borat. Not so much here.

cdollaz
07-11-09, 12:13 PM
My favorite scenes:

Anal intrusion scenes at the beginning with the "pygmy flight attendant"
The parents who will do anything to get their kids on TV
The swingers party
The focus group
Arkansas inbred-fest at the end

Deftones
07-11-09, 12:19 PM
I thought it was very, very funny. Maybe even more so that Borat. I feel this one may end up being even more re-watchable than Borat also even though Bruno was my least favorite character on the TV show it may be my. fav. movie.
It was pretty crazy and outrageous though. I hope we get a longer DVD edition cause I still wanna see more of this.
4.5 out of 5 stars.

but the real question was, was the length of the movie ok for you?

RyoHazuki
07-11-09, 01:12 PM
I saw it and it was really funny but not on the same level as Borat. The scripted stuff kinda drags down the movie in places. Also, Borat seemed to offend people more subtly. For most of Bruno, it seems like he just set up a normal interview, asks some regular questions and then says something super offensive and gets kicked out or the interview shut down. Its still hilarious but I prefer to see people squirm instead of just get really pissed at one question and storm out.

dino88
07-11-09, 01:15 PM
if you thought the blair witch project was real, you'll get a kick out of this one. otherwise save your $11.

So, you're saying that everything in a movie must be real to be enjoyable? You must hate movies.

I thought it was funny as hell, but I was still a little disappointed. I knew it wouldn't (and couldn't) be as good as Borat, for the simple fact that Borat (the character) is 100x better than Bruno (the character).

I loved:

Parents of the child actors
Straight Dave's Max Out (something like that)
Swingers Party
The 2 PR girls
Martial Arts to Protect from Gay Attacks
...I'm sure there's more

My least favorite part:
The song at the end. It wasn't funny at all and was just a horrible song. It was a terrible way to leave the theater after laughing so much before that scene.

dsa_shea
07-11-09, 03:40 PM
I saw it last night with my wife and then again today. I would have to say that it was as funny the second time as it was last night. I might catch it one more time with a buddy of mine as it will be priceless to see the look on his face during some of the scenes.

chris_sc77
07-11-09, 03:57 PM
but the real question was, was the length of the movie ok for you?

It was too short. I was disappointed there were not more scenes. Particularly I wanted to see the scene showcased in the first trailer where they go in a busy shopping mall while locked together in the S&M outfits trying to look for a locksmith. Why this scene wasnt in the movie escapes me.
My favorite parts though (which few in the crowded theater laughed at even though they were generally very responsive to this one):
Mr. Magoriums Wonder Emporium (I dunno why this made me laugh so much but the 10 or 15 seconds they mentioned this movie was prob. the highlight for me.)
Mel Gibson= The fuhrer
JOhn Travolta, Tom Cruise, and Kevin Spacey = What do they all have in common? (this cracked me up and i was the only one who laughed for some reason)

Shannon Nutt
07-11-09, 05:07 PM
Biggest laugh for me:

Harrison Ford yelling "F-YOU!"

Don't know if that was real or staged - I'm guessing the latter - but I about fell out of my seat. Oddly, that's the most entertainment I've gotten from the actor mentioned in about ten years. :)

lamphorn
07-11-09, 05:27 PM
Some really hysterical moments. I do wish he didn't rely so much on the staged stuff (the whole pygmy lover thing, and the assistant, the dominatrix was obviously staged)... it was too much like Borat in that sense. Fuck the plot, just do vignettes like the TV show did.

dsa_shea
07-11-09, 05:36 PM
Some really hysterical moments. I do wish he didn't rely so much on the staged stuff (the whole pygmy lover thing, and the assistant, the dominatrix was obviously staged)... it was too much like Borat in that sense. Fuck the plot, just do vignettes like the TV show did.

Unfortunately too many people would lose interest if it were not framed at least somewhat like a movie. Hell, even the Ali G. show followed some kind of framework revolving around a topic or subject each episode. I just wish these guys had enough forethought to write and film two movies for each character simultaneously. You know they could have done it and easily made a few hundred million in the process.

hardercore
07-11-09, 06:25 PM
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/3.gif

A film which will draw inevitable comparison to Borat, but in which half the laughs are cheaper at the same time as the other half feel richer and more incisive. The combination of which, for me, makes for an entirely less enjoyable whole.

edstein
07-11-09, 07:20 PM

A film which will draw inevitable comparison to Borat, but in which half the laughs are cheaper at the same time as the other half feel richer and more incisive. The combination of which, for me, makes for an entirely less enjoyable whole.

:hscratch:

LickTheABCs
07-11-09, 08:01 PM

uh.. explain please.

hardercore
07-11-09, 08:24 PM
uh.. explain please.Opening hypothesis: this film will be compared to Borat.

findings: some better laughs + some worser laughs = not as enjoyable as Borat (net sum).

dino88
07-11-09, 10:44 PM
Opening hypothesis: this film will be compared to Borat.

findings: some better laughs + some worser laughs = not as enjoyable as Borat (net sum).

Hey everybody, it's Stephen Hawking the movie reviewer.

Would you be willing to give us your equation for Public Enemies? Thank you. -wink-

dsa_shea
07-11-09, 11:28 PM
What cracks me up is when people get up and walk out of a movie like this. Last night a couple got up and walked out shortly after the talk show part. It is hard for me to believe that they completely missed that part in any of the advertisings and thought that the movie wouldn't be edgy. It is on the same lines as someone walking out of an Andrew Dice Clay show because he is filthy. What did you expect?

MLBFan24
07-12-09, 12:17 AM
psychic part - holy. crap.

dino88
07-12-09, 12:50 AM
psychic part - holy. crap.

Aw shit...I completely left that out of my post. That was probably the funniest part.

toddly6666
07-12-09, 02:03 AM
Funnier than Borat, although Borat was the better movie. Bruno was freaking funny! I have to get the soundtrack as well - I loved how they used Scooter - the German techno sensation - for the opening song.

I lost it right at the beginning during:
the pygmy and bruno sex montage

It's a shame that Bruno couldn't have messed with a more annoying Republican such as John McCain, since I like Ron Paul and felt bad for him.

hardercore
07-12-09, 03:28 AM
Hey everybody, it's Stephen Hawking the movie reviewer.

Would you be willing to give us your equation for Public Enemies? Thank you. -wink-Math is a universal language. Plain english apparently was difficult to understand.

RichC2
07-12-09, 03:55 PM
The plot and scripted sequences were just bad.

The "interview" bits (save for few) were genuinely funny.

hapgilmore
07-12-09, 06:45 PM
Saw it today, loved it...parts had me literally in tears and the whole movie was consistently hilarious

Am I the only one who didn't care for Borat much at all but really liked Bruno?

fourwalker
07-12-09, 07:22 PM
Saw it today, loved it...parts had me literally in tears and the whole movie was consistently hilarious

Am I the only one who didn't care for Borat much at all but really liked Bruno?

yeah, I definitely liked this movie better than Borat, the final was awesome. I don't think I've laughed so hard at a movie since "Role Models".

fumanstan
07-12-09, 09:22 PM
I thought it was just mediocre. I'd probably rate Borat a B, and this a C or C-. While there were some really huge laughs in Bruno, Borat had more charm whereas Bruno generated laughs just based on shock value and it felt like he tried a little bit too hard to show or do shocking stuff on camera.

Brent L
07-12-09, 09:41 PM
I saw it, I loved it.

What I really want to mention is that I saw this truly idiotic couple bring in a kid that looked no older than two or three years old. It started crying a little ways into the movie so the idiot mom got up and walked around the theater, over and over. They would sit and watch, kid would cry, walk around, walk out, comeback in, start crying, and over and over it would happen.

What kind of miserable parent would bring a kid that young to a movie like this?

Giantrobo
07-12-09, 10:27 PM
I thought it was just mediocre. I'd probably rate Borat a B, and this a C or C-. While there were some really huge laughs in Bruno, Borat had more charm whereas Bruno generated laughs just based on shock value and it felt like he tried a little bit too hard to show or do shocking stuff on camera.

While I wouldn't call it mediocre, I do think that there was something missing in this film and it did seem more forced.

But still, it was pretty damn hilarious in some parts.

DRG
07-12-09, 10:48 PM
Definitely full of laughs, but the story felt much more forced than Borat. With Borat, he was smart to keep the 'story' as a very skeletal background thing that rarely got in the way. It largely unfolded in a documentary style that added to the verisimilitude. Sure there was the Pamela Anderson overlying story arc, but it never stepped on the movie's toes.

In Bruno the story gets pushed front and center, so much that after awhile it all started to seem scripted, even the parts I knew weren't. I started to question the veracity of every setup, which isn't good in a movie that's primary appeal (for me, at least) is that even though the setups are staged, the reactions aren't.

That said, I still found plenty to enjoy. The second funniest movie I've seen this summer, behind Hangover.

dino88
07-12-09, 10:56 PM
That said, I still found plenty to enjoy. The second funniest movie I've seen this summer, behind Hangover.

+1
Although, an extended/unrated (longer, less edited interviews) cut of Bruno on dvd could change that for me.

zombeaner
07-12-09, 11:05 PM
I saw it, I loved it.

What I really want to mention is that I saw this truly idiotic couple bring in a kid that looked no older than two or three years old. It started crying a little ways into the movie so the idiot mom got up and walked around the theater, over and over. They would sit and watch, kid would cry, walk around, walk out, comeback in, start crying, and over and over it would happen.

What kind of miserable parent would bring a kid that young to a movie like this?

Probably the same couple who brought a 2 year old to the midnight screening of Terminator Salvation that I saw a few weeks back.

Troy Stiffler
07-12-09, 11:14 PM
I'm that one guy who hasn't seen Borat yet. But I caught Bruno this morning and enjoyed it.

So what was staged and what was real? Will anyone ever know? Or do they keep it a big secret? I read that the 'cage match' stuff was real.

beavis69
07-12-09, 11:19 PM
Borate was pretty funny, but i probably laughed twice during this. It just felt like he was trying way to hard.

danstheday
07-13-09, 12:33 AM
Bruno felt like a 85 minute version of a 110 minute movie. It just seemed like chunks were missing here and there. It ended to quickly and there was no devolpment of the straight dave character at the end, he just appeared did the shitck and thats it. Of of the funniest parts never even made it to the movie which was when bruno and his friend are chained together and they go to the mall looking for a locksmith ( this happend before they get on the bus) also when bruno tries to go straight they cut out the stuff of him at the support prop 8 rallies in califonria marching with the church people.

RichC2
07-13-09, 07:34 AM
I'm that one guy who hasn't seen Borat yet. But I caught Bruno this morning and enjoyed it.

So what was staged and what was real? Will anyone ever know? Or do they keep it a big secret? I read that the 'cage match' stuff was real.

Basically the movies play out like this - the main character and his movie-length associates are scripted, the reactions from everybody else are real.

It's basically shooting a movie where everybody is an extra and nobody really knows it.

The only part that may have been scripted that was a "response" may have been the parents, they were just way too willing to say yes (though that was sort of the point.) And while not scripted, you know the psychic knew what was going on. Paula and Harrison were authentic (and getting Paula to sit on the mexican was gold.)

The Infidel
07-13-09, 08:35 AM
A certain amount of Bruno and associates may have been scripted, but since the reactions of other people were real, you know there had to be a lot of ad-libbing going on.

FantasticVSDoom
07-13-09, 08:37 AM
A question I have is this... Im assuming that everyone has to sign a release for them to be featured in the film, so when the movie shows someone like Paula Abdul looking like a complete moron and hypocrite for example, they still sign the waiver? I guess I have to give it up to them then for having a good sense of humor.

I really enjoyed it, laughed a lot... But I still think the best part was all the people who left during the movie. Im still trying to figure out what they expected the movie to be.

RichC2
07-13-09, 08:49 AM
A question I have is this... Im assuming that everyone has to sign a release for them to be featured in the film, so when the movie shows someone like Paula Abdul looking like a complete moron and hypocrite for example, they still sign the waiver? I guess I have to give it up to them then for having a good sense of humor.

I really enjoyed it, laughed a lot... But I still think the best part was all the people who left during the movie. Im still trying to figure out what they expected the movie to be.

I think interviewees usually sign the waivers before they go on. It's sort of a guarantee that they can't back out if they make a fool out of themselves.

The people behind Bruno setup a lot of fake companies with a lot of subtle wording in the contracts so he could get away with what he did.

discostu1337
07-13-09, 09:57 AM
I'm 99% sure that the entire "talk show" and "straight fight" were fake as well...

Overall, the movie was funny, but not Borat funny. If Borat was an A, this is a B-...Borat was more likeable as a character, and more original at the time.

RichC2
07-13-09, 09:59 AM
I'm 99% sure that the entire "talk show" and "straight fight" were fake as well...

Overall, the movie was funny, but not Borat funny. If Borat was an A, this is a B-...Borat was more likeable as a character, and more original at the time.

The talk show was faked but the audience was not.

Liver&Onions
07-13-09, 11:30 AM
I gave it a three/five. While it was great in moments - it was just that, moments.

I got a huge chuckle out of the
Penis screaming "Bruno!", the dead silence during the campfire

but it felt like there was a lot of stuff missing that would've been great.

Double_Oh_7
07-13-09, 02:14 PM
Math is a universal language. Plain english apparently was difficult to understand.

Only when you use words like "worser".

AndyCleveland
07-13-09, 03:12 PM
i was waiting for the scene from the trailer where bruno is in sears and says "you may find this hard to believe, but i'm a gay man." - how/why didn't that make the cut??

SPiRAL
07-13-09, 03:41 PM

I read that the MMA was a free event with $1 beer.

hardercore
07-13-09, 08:58 PM
Only when you use words like "worser".Let's consider the point missed, and move on.

i was waiting for the scene from the trailer where bruno is in sears and says "you may find this hard to believe, but i'm a gay man." - how/why didn't that make the cut??I forgot all about that scene until you mentioned it. Though, I personally didn't really find it that funny in the trailer so maybe the editors came to a similar conclusion.

dsa_shea
07-13-09, 09:38 PM
Just give us all of the deleted scenes on the BD/DVD and I'll be happy. I believe that there are some deleted scenes out there that they chose not to put on the Borat dvd for whatever reason.

Crocker Jarmen
07-13-09, 11:22 PM
Paula and Harrison were authentic (and getting Paula to sit on the mexican was gold.)

I'm positive Harrison was doing a cameo. After all, this is the same guy who sang on "I'm Fucking Ben Affleck" for Jimmy Kimmel last year.

Quake1028
07-14-09, 02:15 PM
Borat was an A film for me, this is a B film. Still super funny, tons of uncomforable moments. I would probably still put it behind The Hangover and definitely I Love You, Man.

Giles
07-14-09, 06:19 PM
Just give us all of the deleted scenes on the BD/DVD and I'll be happy. I believe that there are some deleted scenes out there that they chose not to put on the Borat dvd for whatever reason.

I hope we see the scissored MPAA mandated cuts - it was interesting to see the 'swingers' footage box censored.

mhg83
07-19-09, 02:11 PM
I hope we see the scissored MPAA mandated cuts - it was interesting to see the 'swingers' footage box censored.

The whole swingers thing kind of confused me. They censor the couples genitalia and breasts during the sex. The genitalia i can understand but why the breasts???

Anyways, I thought this was a funny movie. Not as good as Borat, but I could watch either one again. I think the Ron Paul stuff had to be real. He would not sign on for that. Which brings up an interesting question. Does every interview a politician makes require them to sign a waiver? They would definitely question what the waiver was for since it would be out of the ordinary.

mdc3000
07-19-09, 08:31 PM
The breasts were probably censored because the participants didn't sign away the rights to show themselves naked on film....