Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you still collect VHS? Or is it DVD/Blu-ray or nothing?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Do you still collect VHS? Or is it DVD/Blu-ray or nothing?

Old 07-07-09, 10:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you still collect VHS/Laserdisc? Or is it DVD/Blu-ray or nothing?

Do you still collect VHS/Laserdisc? Or is it DVD/Blu-ray or nothing?

I just started to buy VHS again last week. Why you ask? For all the great titles that have yet or may never be released on DVD or Blu-ray. There are at least 20 or so movies I want that are only on VHS as of now and a tone more of TV shows that we'll probably never see on anything but VHS. And the best part about it is the VHS tapes are super cheep! Between twenty five cents and a dollar. The way is see it, if it does get a proper DVD or Blu-ray release then I've only wasted no more than dollar.
Also, I am a big fan of a good title hunt. So looking for only a few random titles in a world full of used VHS is fun! I just found "Hot To Trot" today for only a quarter! Great find!
Never had a Laserdisc player and probably will never buy one. To the best of my knowledge everything that I would want on Laserdisc is either on DVD, Blu-Ray, or VHS.

Last edited by dkedvd; 07-09-09 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-07-09, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Do you still collect VHS? Or is it DVD/Blu-ray or nothing?

I haven't bought a VHS movie since the Phantom Menace came out in 1999. I really can't ever see myself buying another one again. If it is a movie that has yet to come out officially on DVD, I can usually find a bootleg version. I just don't feel like keeping a VCR hooked up when I wouldn't ever use it. About the only thing I could maybe ever see myself buying these days, VHS-wise, are some old wrestling PPV's that never came out on dvd.

Edit: actually, scratch that. I just remembered I did buy a used VHS copy of the 80's Disney movie Tiger Town a few months ago so I could transfer it to a DVD. I then re-sold the tape.
Old 07-07-09, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

I will admit to looking for a few random things on VHS a couple of years ago. But it's been a long time since I've purchased a VHS tape of any kind. Still have a few, but don't consider myself a collector of them.
Old 07-07-09, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

It's been years since I purchased a VHS tape. In fact, a couple of years ago, I got rid of my entire collection.
Old 07-07-09, 10:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Still have a few, but don't consider myself a collector of them.
Yea, I guess from now on I'll stop saying I'm DVD Collector. Instead I'll call myself an Cinematic Arts Media Collector. LOL!
Old 07-07-09, 10:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I consider myself a film collector, since I collect both DVDs and VHS tapes. I've always had an extensive collection of VHS, most have been re-released on DVD but I don't see any need to rebuy it unless the tape itself is broke/miserably tracking to no fix. I have finally bought my all-time favorites and recorded off TV movies on DVD (what's available).

All in all, I have about 1500 VHS and I think my latest count for DVDs are just over that as well.
Old 07-07-09, 11:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by supermike07
All in all, I have about 1500 VHS
Impressive! Do you have a picture of the collection?
Anywho, I agree! I am a collector of Cinematic Arts. And if I can only get them on VHS then so be it. I would however upgrade anything I might buy on VHS if it were to be released on DVD. DVDs are just far superior. And chances are any TV I have on VHS is only a few episode where a DVD release would probably be in seasons or series.
I gotta say though, have no interest in upgrading any of my DVDs to Blu-ray. The gap just isn't a big as VHS to DVD.
Old 07-08-09, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

I haven't bought a VHS since 1996. Although I have sold off most of my VHS tapes I still kept a few that had a lot of sentimental value.

Some titles bring back great memories of looking at the video store shelves when I was a kid and anxiously waiting to rent that one single copy the video store had in stock to be returned. Oh yeah & we had to rent the VCR as well!

I kept mostly horror titles that were still in their original rental boxes such as Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Road Warrior, Mad Max (Vestron video) & Raiders of the Lost Ark which I saved up all summer long to buy for $30 used in 1984. I can't let go of that one. I had to deliver a lot of newspapers to earn it!
Old 07-08-09, 12:43 AM

Many years ago I sold most of my pre-recorded VHS tapes to Blockbuster for store credit. However I still own plenty of movies, TV shows and sporting broadcasts recorded onto blank tapes and occasionally watch them every now and then on my Samsung VHS/DVD Combo unit.. The last tittle I purchased on VHS was King Kong vs. Godzilla just last week, as the DVD is extremely tough to find and when found often costs around the $40 mark so I settled for option B.

Last one before that was The Amityville Horror (2005), in about 2006..
Old 07-08-09, 02:45 AM
Banned

It has been quite a while since I bought a VHS movie but I still own a large number of titles on VHS but will be selling them as they are replaced with DVD or BluRay.
Old 07-08-09, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think the last VHS tapes I bought were Shine and Spanking The Monkey (the former since it was about $1, and the latter because at the time, it wasn't available on DVD). That was back in 2005.
Old 07-08-09, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

I'll take it anyway I can get it. DVD, DVD-R, VHS. I no longer record VHS but constantly burn movies/tv series from TCM, Encore, Flix and On Demand. I started transferring my tapes to DVD-R in 2002. All the pre-records are long gone. All I have left are Earth:Final Conflict season two. The Three Stooges so far unreleased and tons of MGM and Looney Toons yet unreleased on DVD. From time to time it occurs to me to pick up the VHS of last two Ma and Pa Kettle and last few Francis movies not released on dvd. Also the two McHale's Navy movies.
Old 07-08-09, 06:10 AM

I still have a few VHS tapes of titles that are not (and may never be) available on DVD however I'm trying to sell others on Amazon to gain extra storage space and of course, to add a few bucks to my budget.
Old 07-08-09, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For a similar discussion: VHS - When there is no other option?
Old 07-08-09, 07:11 AM

I'll pick up any WWE or Beavis and Butthead VHS's I don't have, and Simpsons VHS's if they're under £0.50.
Old 07-08-09, 07:51 AM

I still own a few hundred VHS's -- prerecorded and programs taped off the air. Some of the shows I taped will never be on DVD and so I feel fortunate to have them. Special faves I've burned to DVD, but I'm keeping the tapes for safety's sake. I went through the same process with 30 or so old Betas a year ago, when I happened to find a pro-grade Beta machine for $2 at a yard sale.

And I still buy prerecorded VHS when it's something that I want, it's $1 or less, and the DVD version costs more than I care to pay. For example, a few weeks ago I got the entire To the Manor Morn britcom series for $1.50 at a rummage sale. The DVDs are c. $50! I can live with the VHS quality. Next week the Half Price in my area is having a big tent sale, and I'm sure I'll pick up some $1 VHS's there.

Sure, DVDs look a lot better. No argument there. But you still can enjoy a show or movie on VHS just fine.
Old 07-08-09, 07:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by T-900
The last tittle I purchased on VHS was King Kong vs. Godzilla just last week, as the DVD is extremely tough to find and when found often costs around the $40 mark so I settled for option B.
WHAT? I just saw that for $5.00 brand new at the flea market last week! I passed because there were some other titles I was more interested in. DAMN IT! I hope they still have it!
Old 07-08-09, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was lucky to never really collect VHS, for the simple matter that I would have eventually bought them all again on DVD. I think the most VHS I ever had at one time was about 30-40, and now I have 800+ DVDs and about 20 Blu-ray titles.
Old 07-08-09, 08:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do they still make VHS (either the actual movies or the players)
Old 07-08-09, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up King Kong vs. Godzilla for $5 at a Chiller Theater convention a few years ago so i'm surprised to hear it's goes for so much.

I spent 13 years working in video stores so my VHS collection, at one time, was in the thousands but I threw out about 800 tapes at the end of the 90's because I got tired of having to box them up every time I moved. I also gave a lot away, sold a lot, copied over a lot, etc...

I still have a couple hundred movies, mostly Jackie Chan and Honk Kong movies that haven't been released in the US, and a few hundred wrestling tapes. I've been selling them off at $1 a tape and they've been selling pretty good.

Bob
Old 07-08-09, 08:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nemein
Do they still make VHS (either the actual movies or the players)
VHS tapes... No. VHS Players... I'm not 100% sure about them alone but they still make the VHS/DVD combo players. But you can find VHS players all over for super cheap. I've seen them for a dollar. I was lucky enough to take the one we had at my family's beach house they bought right before DVDs came into play. Its been used less than 10 times. So its practically new.
Old 07-08-09, 09:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JCWBobC
I've been selling them off at $1 a tape and they've been selling pretty good.
Do ya have "Angus", "Dexter's Laboratory: Ego Trip", "GoBots: Battle Of The Rock Lords", "The Jetsons Meet The Flintstones: The Movie", "The Legend Of Billie Jean", "The Night They Saved Christmas", or "Rad"? If so where do I send my dollars?
Old 07-08-09, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Still have several hundred VHS tapes (pre-recorded) and another several hundred of movies from premium channels, AMC (pre-commercial days), TCM, etc. that have yet to surface on DVD.

Haven't bought a VHS in a decade, and it's been several years since I actually watched a VHS movie.
Old 07-08-09, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have only a couple of pre-recorded VHS, Decline of Western Civilization 1 & 2, that I've been putting off recording to DVD. As soon as that is done, I'll put them on eBay.
Old 07-08-09, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No, I no longer collect VHS tapes. I sold/gave away my entire collection of less than 100 tapes. Now I stick to DVD and Blu-ray only for my film collection.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.