DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : John Carpenter's The Ward

JumpCutz
07-07-09, 08:40 PM
Sounds pretty generic. 'Ghosts of Mars' sucked hard, but 'Cigarette Burns' was pretty decent.

According to someone over at dvdmaniacs the budget is 7 million. A paltry sum. Anyway...

Horror movie master John Carpenter will film his latest picture in Spokane.

Carpenter, directing his first movie since 2001’s “Ghosts of Mars,” will film portions of “The Ward” from July 27 through Sept. 4 at various locations in Spokane.

Local production company North by Northwest will handle the technical chores.

“The Ward” is about an institutionalized young woman who is terrorized by a ghost. The cast list includes actresses Amber Heard and Danielle Panabak

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/jul/01/john-carpenter-film-spokane/

GoldenJCJ
07-07-09, 08:47 PM
Well, not the most original idea, but I'm a sucker for a good ghost story and I always look foward to a Carpenter flick, even if he hasn't made a worthwhile movie in quite some time.

gmanca
07-07-09, 08:49 PM
Wow, finally he's "actually" shooting a movie, instead of the perpetual state of development. I agree it's a very generic sounding film and I wish he had done LA Gothic. Or Psychopath or Riot.

LickTheABCs
07-07-09, 08:51 PM
Carpenter and Heard.

I'm in.

Mountain Biker
07-08-09, 12:08 AM
If it's Carpenter, I'm on board.

Geofferson
07-08-09, 09:24 PM
I liked Ghosts of Mars -- either way, glad to hear he's behind the camera again. :up:

islandclaws
07-08-09, 09:27 PM
If it's Carpenter, I'm on board.

What he said. I don't even care what it's about.

marty888
07-09-09, 12:14 AM
I liked Ghosts of Mars -- either way, glad to hear he's behind the camera again. :up:

Thank you - nice to know I'm not alone!

FRwL
07-09-09, 02:36 AM
I'll check out anything from the guy who did Halloween, Escape from NY, The Thing, Big Trouble in little China.

RyoHazuki
07-09-09, 02:48 AM
Wasn't he filming some movie with Nicholas Cage in prison? Maybe I've got him confused with someone else.

tylergfoster
07-09-09, 05:07 AM
Wasn't he filming some movie with Nicholas Cage in prison? Maybe I've got him confused with someone else.The aforementioned Riot. The project fell apart, I guess.

I wish I lived closer to Spokane. I would really, really, really like to meet him. In fact, I might have to figure it out, if he actually did a signing or something.

TGM
07-09-09, 05:13 AM
leaked image from the movie...

http://www.thebatsite.co.uk/images/burt_ward_as_robin_03.jpg

RyoHazuki
07-09-09, 02:25 PM
The aforementioned Riot. The project fell apart, I guess.

I wish I lived closer to Spokane. I would really, really, really like to meet him. In fact, I might have to figure it out, if he actually did a signing or something. Damn thats too bad. I thought I even saw a teaser poster for it on here a little while ago.

tylergfoster
07-09-09, 09:07 PM
Damn thats too bad. I thought I even saw a teaser poster for it on here a little while ago.There was, but it was a mock-up to get investors involved in the package (Carpenter and Cage).

Groucho
07-09-09, 09:10 PM
Isn't this the same plot of the new Scorcese flick?

RocShemp
07-09-09, 09:28 PM
Thank you - nice to know I'm not alone!

You're definitely not alone. May have been far from his best but it was enjoyable.

John Carpenter directing and Danielle Panabaker in the cast? I'm in. :up:

colonelforbin82
07-09-09, 10:00 PM
What he said. I don't even care what it's about.

NoirFan
07-11-09, 12:47 PM
I'll give anything Carpenter directs a chance, but my hopes aren't particularly high. I've hated everything he's done since In the Mouth of Madness, including "Cigarette Burns", whose interesting premise was ruined by lousy acting and lazy execution.

Dean Kousoulas
07-11-09, 01:42 PM
I'll give anything Carpenter directs a chance, but my hopes aren't particularly high. I've hated everything he's done since In the Mouth of Madness

Kinda off-topic, but I thought In The Mouth of Madness could have been a great film if it just had a budget over $20 bucks.

riotinmyskull
07-11-09, 02:45 PM
Carpenter and Heard.

I'm in.

:thumbsup:

NoirFan
07-11-09, 02:56 PM
Kinda off-topic, but I thought In The Mouth of Madness could have been a great film if it just had a budget over $20 bucks.

I thought Julie Carmen's non-acting was more of a hinderance than the budget. Her line readings were just awful. Was she the producer's cousin or something? I don't think I've ever seen her in anything else. As it stands, I still think it's one of Carpenter's best. The movie has a wonderful premise, and Sam Neill gives possibly the best performance in any Carpenter film.

JumpCutz
09-06-09, 11:46 PM
A casting update...

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/33362/more-cast-members-added-john-carpenters-the-ward

Rival11
09-07-09, 12:14 AM
It amazes me to this day how many people still defend (And I'm not saying anyone here is, just in general) Ghost of Mars. That was an exteremly horrible film.

Carpenter is far from a hack (acutally just watched The Thing a week ago - think I end up loving that movie a little more with each viewing if that's even possible) and I hope this does well.

Man, he is getting old though (yes...age wise you freakin' die hards).

tylergfoster
09-07-09, 04:44 AM
My hope is that he gets to make The Prince. I'll certainly see this, but I could care less about Riot or L.A. Gothic; I just think The Prince sounds like it could be a great, great movie.

If not Carpenter, I hope the project gets made at all.

Rammsteinfan
09-14-09, 03:45 PM
First video from the set. Its not much but its something to prove its finaly happening.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/33521/first-footage-john-carpenters-the-ward

Now i believe that he is finally making a new film after all these years. I cant wait.

Dr. DVD
09-14-09, 04:58 PM
The aforementioned Riot I would really, really, really like to meet him. In fact, I might have to figure it out, if he actually did a signing or something.

If he does a signing, then do yourself a favor and stick around until the line dies down. I went to one that was done in his hometown at a hotel and after the crowd left he took a small group of us to a table and sat and talked to us for about two hours while smoking a cigarette and drinking a cup of coffee. He's a really cool guy and way down to earth.

dhmac
09-14-09, 06:25 PM
Man, he is getting old though (yes...age wise you freakin' die hards).
John Carpenter is actually in his early 60's, which is not too old for a director, but he does look about 20 years older than that due to the premature aging effects of chain-smoking like a madman for decades.

Thrush
09-14-09, 07:54 PM
I thought Julie Carmen's non-acting was more of a hinderance than the budget. Her line readings were just awful. Was she the producer's cousin or something? I don't think I've ever seen her in anything else. As it stands, I still think it's one of Carpenter's best. The movie has a wonderful premise, and Sam Neill gives possibly the best performance in any Carpenter film.

Its flawed but I enjoyed Madness as well. Escape from LA was where it all began to come undone in my eyes for Carpenter. Ghost of mars is unwatchable.

NoirFan
09-14-09, 08:15 PM
Escape from LA was where it all began to come undone in my eyes for Carpenter.

Some of the worst CGI I've ever seen. The surfing scene with Fonda was just cringe inducing.

FRwL
09-21-09, 05:38 PM
qeGdIedsZi8

tylergfoster
09-21-09, 06:45 PM
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/38558/john-carpenter-master-of-fear-4-movie-collection/

He never did do a signing. :(

Dr. DVD
09-21-09, 08:11 PM
qeGdIedsZi8

I hope he isn't doing a combination of Hostel and Shutter Island.

Paul1957
01-11-10, 04:54 PM
Carpenter interview for french site, interview starts at 2:50 talks about The Ward, some behind the scenes footage, why he hasn't made a film in years. Got this via Dread Central.

http://didierallouch.blog.canalplus.fr/tag/john+carpenter

riotinmyskull
01-11-10, 05:41 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/2hpoieq.jpg

pjflyer
09-14-10, 01:33 AM
I saw this tonight in Toronto. It's really pretty bad. A scary ghost that appears with jump scares doesn't do much for me. A major plot reveal brought laughter from the audience.

chuckd21
09-14-10, 09:53 AM
*sigh*

I love the man. But for some people, talent does sometimes just run out. Doesn't diminish their previous body of work, but it's just over. He hasn't made a movie that worked for me since Invisible Man and it doesn't sound like he'll ever return to form. :sad:

kd5
09-14-10, 10:09 AM
It amazes me to this day how many people still defend (And I'm not saying anyone here is, just in general) Ghost of Mars. That was an exteremly horrible film.

Count me as one who enjoyed Ghosts Of Mars, so much so that I own it. It definitely has its entertainment value with me. -kd5-

Geofferson
09-14-10, 10:26 AM
^ you're not alone. I own it as well and caught it again on HD a couple months back. I can't quite explain why, but I really dig that movie. :shrug:

Solid Snake
09-14-10, 11:47 AM
I love the high points of Carpenter's career....I think it ended w/ BTILC. Though They Live was good too...just...some aspects of it haven't fared well w/ time. I don't give a damn about JC's current work. I'll never see a great film of his in theaters I guess. I was born too late.

tylergfoster
09-14-10, 12:20 PM
Not to dismiss the opinion of the poster above but at least one or two critics I trust saw it and said it was solid, so I'll withhold judgment for now.

Solid Snake
09-14-10, 04:46 PM
I dunno, man. JC has done way too much crap for me to care. It's amazing for me to even pop in this thread cuz...it'd been a while.

islandclaws
09-15-10, 10:17 AM
I will give anything Carpenter does a fair shake. The man is responsible for one of the greatest cinematic runs in film history from '76-'88 (maybe '94, but I don't think Memoirs is totally solid). I will absolutely see this opening night.

Rammsteinfan
09-15-10, 05:21 PM
I will watch a leaf blowing around in the air on film if Carpenter shot it. Cant wait to see the Ward.

gmanca
09-15-10, 06:18 PM
What I don't get is why he didn't do more work; even if he wanted a hiatus, his comeback with Cigarette Burns should have started a slew of films from him.

d2cheer
09-15-10, 06:36 PM
I'll withhold judgment for now.

Same here.

islandclaws
09-15-10, 06:44 PM
What I don't get is why he didn't do more work; even if he wanted a hiatus, his comeback with Cigarette Burns should have started a slew of films from him.

In short, he's a lazy stoner with more interest in video games, basketball and collecting checks for useless remakes of his films than dealing with the corporate world of studios.

JumpCutz
09-15-10, 06:47 PM
This slashfilm review is pretty brutal.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/09/14/tiff-movie-review-john-carpenters-the-ward/

NoirFan
09-16-10, 09:08 PM
This comment stuck out: ...The Ward might be the worst feature film I’ve watched theatrically this year.

I'm certainly not expecting much going in, so I suppose I won't be particularly disappointed when it turns out to be lousy. I'm guessing this will only play theatrically for a few weeks, so I'll just hold off for the Netflix rental.

Solid Snake
09-16-10, 10:17 PM
well it depends on how cool they can make a trailer for it to market it and get people's interest.

islandclaws
09-17-10, 10:27 AM
I know Carpenter well enough to go into this with low, low expectations which I will secretly hope are at least mildly exceeded.

riotinmyskull
01-04-11, 06:51 AM
partial trailer leaked...

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8l-9l8Z0-Uo&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8l-9l8Z0-Uo&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

islandclaws
01-04-11, 11:32 AM
That doesn't exactly look like JC's work to me. I fear he phoned this in for the check.

d2cheer
01-04-11, 11:38 AM
That doesn't exactly look like JC's work to me. I fear he phoned this in for the check.

He should not be trying to phone anything in. He hasn't done anything substantial in decades... I think the real thing here is he just does not have the ability to craft a decent movie anymore.

Lemmy
01-04-11, 12:03 PM
He ran out of good ideas/concepts over two decades ago, IMNSHO.

I still pay attention when I hear he's attached to something new, but he's much more "miss" than "hit" with me.

That said, a few of his films stand head and shoulders above the rest of their genre (The Thing, Halloween).

01-04-11, 09:49 PM
Looks like Gothica.

riotinmyskull
01-06-11, 06:20 PM
full length trailer:

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mw7dvwOr8Yg&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mw7dvwOr8Yg&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Rammsteinfan
01-06-11, 06:24 PM
Doesnt look like anything that we havent seen before but being a die hard JC fan that I am, I will see it and own it regardless if it sucks or is great.

gmanca
01-06-11, 06:28 PM
Very bland; the meaningful images have no impact.

Obey The D
01-06-11, 09:11 PM
I'm glad he's finally wised up and realized that you can't have an effective horror movie without a jump scare every 3 minutes. I was bored to tears with the mood he created in Halloween and The Thing.

;)

Solid Snake
01-06-11, 09:45 PM
Doesnt look like anything that we havent seen before but being a die hard JC fan that I am, I will see it and own it regardless if it sucks or is great.

so....you're why he's still making movies? You give people like him hope.....

Chadm
01-06-11, 10:40 PM
so....you're why he's still making movies? You give people like him hope.....

I've enjoyed more of his movies than I haven't. Ghosts of Mars was shit, but I quite enjoyed Vampires.

This new film looks like a real piece of shit, but I'll see it regardless. That's what making Assault On Precinct 13, Halloween, Escape From New York, The Fog, The Thing, Big Trouble In Little China and They Live gets you I guess. The fact that some people will always pay you that respect, even if you're not the same filmmaker you used to be.

rider555
01-08-11, 01:25 AM
In these days we now live in,where every gawd damn flick seems to be either in 3-D,computer animated,computer animated and in 3D,or starring Seth Rogen...I'm just happy that John Carptenter is still working.
As for whether or not he is out of ideas...I thought CIGARETTE BURNS was pretty damn good.
When is the last time he had a good chat with Kurt Russel?
If Sly can still do Rambo and Harrison can still do Indy,than dammit,I wanna see Jack Burton or MacReady back on the silver screen.

Boba Fett
01-08-11, 01:52 AM
Looks like a C-Rate TV thriller.

LosingMyMind
01-08-11, 03:08 AM
Hard to believe this is coming out in just 2 weeks. :up:

JumpCutz
01-08-11, 03:47 AM
:eek: Yikes. Looks really, really bad... as in a Scary Movie outtake bad.

Evidently Carpenter couldn't even be bothered to.... phone it in. -ohbfrank-

Chadm
10-24-11, 04:17 AM
This is the worst film of Carpenters career if you ask me.