DVD Talk
Please help me ID a few obscure movies from my childhood [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Please help me ID a few obscure movies from my childhood

JackBurton
07-07-09, 09:02 AM
I see these threads come up from time to time and dvdtalkers seem to be good at helping out. These are few movie memories from my childhood that have been nagging me:

1) It is likely from the mid 80's to early 90's. The little I can remember involved a group of kids who team up with an adult. One of the kids has a remote control helicopter. They may (or may not) have attached a camera to it. It had a Monster Squad like vibe. Not that it had monsters in it, but in that kids were teaming up with an adult against someone (something). The main thing I recall is a part where they use a remote control helicopter. I think the helicopter is destroyed shortly after - either by the "bad guys" or by crashing into something.

I posted this on retroland and was given the 1993 film Remote as a possible answer. I do not think that is it.

2) This one involved a talking snowman and a kid who wants to buy some ice skates. The film is live action and it is set in a town (perhaps in Canada) during the winter. I believe the snowman's nose or eyes glowed red. As in most snowman tales, he melts at the end.

3) A kid runs away to live in the woods. He builds a shelter and befriends animals as pets. From time to time, he sneaks back into town and visits the library. I saw this one at school in 5th grade.

4) A family finds that their house is haunted. They hear noises in other rooms, etc. At one point they find their pet bird dead in its cage. A member of the family may have had cancer.

Sorry I don't have many clues to go off of. I saw all of these in the 80's or early 90's. Thanks!

enderwiggin
07-07-09, 09:23 AM
I see these threads come up from time to time and dvdtalkers seem to be good at helping out. These are few movie memories from my childhood that have been nagging me:

1) It is likely from the mid 80's to early 90's. The little I can remember involved a group of kids who team up with an adult. One of the kids has a remote control helicopter. They may (or may not) have attached a camera to it. It had a Monster Squad like vibe. Not that it had monsters in it, but in that kids were teaming up with an adult against someone (something). The main thing I recall is a part where they use a remote control helicopter. I think the helicopter is destroyed shortly after - either by the "bad guys" or by crashing into something.

Sorry I don't have many clues to go off of. I saw all of these in the 80's or early 90's. Thanks!

Is this movie about kids trying to rescue a dog or something from a pound? If so, Ive been trying to remember that film as well. Its a black kid who has the remote control helicopter and when it crashes he says something like "That took me 350 corn flakes box tops to get....and I hate corn flakes"

Is that the one? I want to say its similar in name to "The B.R.A.T. Patrol". Maybe like "The Goon Squad" or something like that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I found it... "Little Spies".

Synopsis
Originally telecast as a two-hour episode of ABC's Wonderful World of Disney anthology, Little Spies gets under way when a bunch of kids lose their adopted dog to the mean owner of a puppy kennel. Enter Jimmy the Hermit (Mickey Rooney), a reclusive WW2 hero who takes a shine to the youngsters. Harking back to his wartime experiences, Jimmy organizes the neighborhood kids into a "commando raid" of the kennel to rescue the pooch. The main characters are direct from the standard Disney stereotype manual, right down to the nerdish kid with glasses and the funny fat one. Little Spies first aired on October 5, 1986. - Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

BlueCC
07-07-09, 10:20 AM
3) A kid runs away to live in the woods. He builds a shelter and befriends animals as pets. From time to time, he sneaks back into town and visits the library. I saw this one at school in 5th grade

This one sounds like My Side of the Mountain (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064708/).

Artman
07-07-09, 10:29 AM
I remember one from the 80's.. a group time travels...one scene they end up on the Titanic as it's going down. I thought I remember there were some "little people" in the cast as well. Was this "My Science Project"?

JackBurton
07-07-09, 10:41 AM
THANKS!!! Amazing work enderwiggin & BlueCC, correct on both counts. Enderwiggin I can't tell you how long I've been trying to find out the name of that one - years. Makes sense that it was a disney movie, I wonder if its available on any format?

I remember one from the 80's.. a group time travels...one scene they end up on the Titanic as it's going down. I thought I remember there were some "little people" in the cast as well. Was this "My Science Project"? Not sure what this one is, but I am sure that it is not My Science Project. I actually just watched MSP this weekend, and that scene does not sound familiar.

Mondo Kane
07-07-09, 10:55 AM
3) A kid runs away to live in the woods. He builds a shelter and befriends animals as pets. From time to time, he sneaks back into town and visits the library. I saw this one at school in 5th grade.

This might be Kid Colter.

FinkPish
07-07-09, 12:18 PM
I remember one from the 80's.. a group time travels...one scene they end up on the Titanic as it's going down. I thought I remember there were some "little people" in the cast as well. Was this "My Science Project"?
This is Time Bandits.

Numanoid
07-07-09, 06:27 PM
Number 4 could be Poltergeist, but I can't imagine that you wouldn't know that.

J. Farley
07-07-09, 07:14 PM
4 sounds similar to Grave Secrets: The Legacy of Hilltop Drive.

Larry C.
07-07-09, 08:10 PM
This is Time Bandits.

And a freaking awesome movie!

bwvanh114
07-07-09, 09:01 PM
This is Time Bandits.Incorrect. This is Sparta. Please correct your post.

JackBurton
07-07-09, 09:03 PM
4 sounds similar to Grave Secrets: The Legacy of Hilltop Drive.That's it! Thanks, J. Farley! When I read the "toilets flushing by themselves" in the imdb description, I knew it was the one.

If someone could help me out with #2, my day would be made. My Side of the Mountain looks like its out on DVD and Grave Secrets is on VHS. Not sure where I could find Little Spies though?

Thanks a lot to all who have contributed!

Trevor
07-08-09, 08:34 AM
Incorrect. This is Sparta. Please correct your post.rotfl

Drexl
07-08-09, 08:38 AM
The Magic Snowman: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093473/

...with Roger Moore as the voice of the snowman!

JackBurton
07-08-09, 09:38 AM
The Magic Snowman: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093473/

...with Roger Moore as the voice of the snowman!Wow, thanks!

Do you guys know this stuff off the top of your head or did you research? I swear, I've spent a long time trying to track down all of these on my own with no success. Thanks again to everyone.

longtimelurker
07-08-09, 02:48 PM
Instead of starting a new thread I'm going to piggy back on this one if nobody minds - this has bugged me for years and it may be a TV movie. It was a large cast movie - maybe even a race movie - and one buy one the heroes in the movie get picked off by the bad guys but they all happen to reappear at the end of the movie with an explnation about what happened to them - I remember one character got caught on top of a hot air balloon and I believe 2 cowboy characters got cement poured on them - they later explained that they were able to replace themselves with saw horse work benches (what!?) before the cement got poured on them - this is all very foggy and pretty lame but it has been bugging me for years!

Charlie Goose
07-09-09, 06:41 AM
Instead of starting a new thread I'm going to piggy back on this one if nobody minds - this has bugged me for years and it may be a TV movie. It was a large cast movie - maybe even a race movie - and one buy one the heroes in the movie get picked off by the bad guys but they all happen to reappear at the end of the movie with an explnation about what happened to them - I remember one character got caught on top of a hot air balloon and I believe 2 cowboy characters got cement poured on them - they later explained that they were able to replace themselves with saw horse work benches (what!?) before the cement got poured on them - this is all very foggy and pretty lame but it has been bugging me for years!

It's Murder Can Hurt You, a TV movie from around 1979-80 that parodied famous TV detectives. The hot air balloon guy was John Byner as Hatch from "Studsky & Hatch" and the cement guy was "McSky", the parody of McCloud. It also starred Victor Buono, Jimmie Walker, Tony Danza, and Jamie Farr. Hilarious when I was a kid.

joltman
07-09-09, 06:53 AM
Just thought I'd post a general hint about finding movies. Use IMDB's keywords. I was trying to remember a movie for the longest time, I remembered something a horror film with hypnotism and knew it was from the 80's, so I searched for keyword hypnotism, then chose horror for genre, then sorted by release and looked at the 80's movies. In case anyone's curious, the movie was Angustia.

longtimelurker
07-09-09, 08:12 AM
I feel like a cloud has been lifted ! thank you !