Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Can Someone Help Me Get Netflix on my Xbox?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-09, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was really excited about the Netflix streaming on Xbox last year, but I have not been able to use this feature because of the download requirements.

I only have a wired cable modem connection with a Vonage adapter. Whenever I want to get on Live, I unplug the eternet cable running from my Vonage adapter to my computer and plug it into the Xbox instead. Minor hassle.

Unfortunately, it appears that in order to download the Netflix software, my computer and Xbox must both be online at the same time. I don't want to go to the expensive of getting a wireless router just for a one time freaking download. Is there any other way to get around this problem?
Old 07-07-09, 08:13 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Can Someone Help Me Get Netflix on my Xbox?

From what I recall, the only time you need your computer is to enter a code on a netflix.com page to validate the software.

You need to be a Gold XBox live member and have a Netflix plan that allows streaming.

From my memory, the steps are:

1) Download Netflix app from XBox Live marketplace.
2) Launch app and it will give you a code and a URL to enter the code
3) On your computer, go to that page and enter the code
4) On Xbox, you should now see your XBox Instant queue.
You have to be logged into Live to use Netflix streaming
I'd add some things to your instant queue ahead of time.

So, ideally you could do steps 1 and 2. Then connect the computer back to do step 3. Then connect the xbox back to watch a movie on your 360.
Old 07-07-09, 09:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your xbox is not plugged in all the time I suspect you are not a gold member, is that right? In which case, as mentioned above, Netflix isn't going to work for you anyway. BTW you don't need a wireless router, if both are within cable length of each other you should be able to pick up a wired network switch relatively cheaply and have both devices connected at once.
Old 07-07-09, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

Everything above sounds right...you are a Netflix member, right? I stopped my Netflix sub for summer and it killed my XBL/Netflix combo so I rejoined Netflix (cheapest membership) just so I could use it on XBL (My kids watch alot of stuff on there).
Old 07-07-09, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the $40 you pay for a wireless hub would alleviate the pain of unplugging the vonage adapter every time just to stream netflix.
Old 07-07-09, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by DVDChris
I think the $40 you pay for a wireless hub would alleviate the pain of unplugging the vonage adapter every time just to stream netflix.
From the sounds of it a simple $10 wired router would work.
Old 07-07-09, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

I recommend a wired router as that will give you the best possible speed throughput. Especially since Netflix's streaming server is iffy at properly determining your internet speed.

Oh, and as mentioned before...

You need to be an XBox Gold Member to use Netflix and the XBox has to be connected to the internet at all times. Which is why we recommended the router option.
Old 07-07-09, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks guys. I didnt' realize they had routers for wired connections. I am a gold member, and downloaded the software, but Ican't activate it without both the PC and Xbox online at the same time.
Old 07-08-09, 07:51 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
Thanks guys. I didnt' realize they had routers for wired connections. I am a gold member, and downloaded the software, but Ican't activate it without both the PC and Xbox online at the same time.
I set mine up having only one connected at a time, as Vyrce explained.
Old 07-08-09, 08:23 AM

What you most likely need is a switch not a router. Something like this http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-EZXS55.../dp/B00003006E So you'll take whatever plug you are moving between the Xbox and computer now and plug that into this. Then you'll get 2 new cable to connect both the computer and Xbox at the same time. The one thing you'll have to figure out before doing this though is whether or not the cable modem box is running some sort of DHCP server that can handle multiple addresses.
Old 07-08-09, 10:10 AM

Is there any other way to get around this problem?
YES!

I was in this situation myself.

Turn on the 360, get the code. Call up Netflix. Quickly explain your situation (I'm sure every CSR there has heard it all before). Have them input the code.

It takes less than 5 minutes. (And it's actually kind of cool watching just how fast your instant queue [if you've already made one] comes up on your tv screen after you're done reciting your code.)

-----

EDIT:
Originally Posted by nemein
If your xbox is not plugged in all the time I suspect you are not a gold member, is that right?
Where'd that crazy theory come from?
Old 07-08-09, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by mr.snowmizer

EDIT:

If you manually have to move a cable over, and mention it's a hassle, then it would seem to me you don't use it that much aka your probably not paying for it. Maybe it's just me but I know if I were in the situation described one of my first questions would be how do I get both on the network at the same time.
Old 07-08-09, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't streamed in a while. Netflix used to have an HD section telling you what's available to stream in HD. I don't see that anywhere. Did something change?
Old 07-08-09, 12:29 PM

Go to "Watch Instantly" and on the Genres drop down one of the options is HD. That's the quickest way I know.
Old 07-08-09, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by nemein
If you manually have to move a cable over, and mention it's a hassle, then it would seem to me you don't use it that much aka your probably not paying for it. Maybe it's just me but I know if I were in the situation described one of my first questions would be how do I get both on the network at the same time.
He actually said "minor hassle" (just like getting off the couch to change discs is a minor hassle, compared to switching effortlessly with downloaded games).

Everything still functions perfectly with this method, except for Netflix authentication, which has got to be the first major hassle he's run into.
Old 07-11-09, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mr.snowmizer
YES!

I was in this situation myself.

Turn on the 360, get the code. Call up Netflix. Quickly explain your situation (I'm sure every CSR there has heard it all before). Have them input the code.

It takes less than 5 minutes. (And it's actually kind of cool watching just how fast your instant queue [if you've already made one] comes up on your tv screen after you're done reciting your code.)

-----

EDIT:

Do you have their contact number? I can't find it on their website. I tried again, and just no fucking way to activate unless my xbox is online. I have to enter the code on Netfllx's website and I guess they try to find my Xbox online or some shit. Pisses me off.

Old 07-13-09, 09:58 AM

Do you have their contact number? I can't find it on their website.
I found the following under Contact Us, Help, then entering "Phone number" with Find Instant Answers.

Q:How do I contact Customer Service?
A:Contact us at 1-866-716-0414 . TTY users please call 1-866-402-2619.
Old 07-13-09, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info. I called them, and they got me setup within 5 minutes! I just had to give her the activation code from my xbox.

I'm really impressed with the service. They have tons of content for streaming.