Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : The Invention of Lying (Gervais, 2009)

chase3001
07-06-09, 10:13 PM
I did a quick search and did not see any existing thread on this movie. Looks very funny.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VSGt673XsIg&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VSGt673XsIg&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

In an alternate reality, lying -- even the concept of a lie -- does not even exist. Everyone -- from politicians to advertisers to the man and woman on the street -- speaks the truth and nothing but the truth with no thought of the consequences. But when a down-on-his-luck loser named Mark suddenly develops the ability to lie, he finds that dishonesty has its rewards. In a world where every word is assumed to be the absolute truth, Mark easily lies his way to fame and fortune. But lies have a way of spreading, and Mark begins to realize that things are getting a little out of control when some of his tallest tales are being taken as, well, gospel. With the entire world now hanging on his every word, there is only one thing Mark has not been able to lie his way into: the heart of the woman he loves

Loved the response to the line about the world ending.

Breakfast with Girls
07-06-09, 11:51 PM
Nice, I liked Ghost Town.

RagingBull80
07-07-09, 12:09 AM
I'm a big Gervais fan and heard about this a while ago and have been waiting for it for some time. That said, I think the trailer looks decent.

:up::up: Louis C.K.

Supermallet
07-11-09, 01:22 PM
This is Gervais' big screen directing debut (he co-directed The Office and Extras with Stephen Merchant, IIRC). I don't know why they changed the name to be so damn literal, though. It used to be called The Other Side of Truth. Oh well, still looks hilarious.

Dr Mabuse
07-11-09, 01:55 PM
I'm going to see this.

What a talented fella Gervais is.

Cardsfan111
07-11-09, 02:13 PM
Nice, I liked Ghost Town.

My thoughts exactly...

RichC2
10-01-09, 08:51 AM
Just read Roger Ebert's review, the movie actually sounds more interesting now.

Love the entire religion bit.

cungar
10-01-09, 11:14 AM
62% on Rotten Tomatoes so far. Even the good reviews are tepid

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/invention_of_lying/

islandclaws
10-01-09, 11:40 AM
Looks funny to me. I'll prob check it out.

Zen Peckinpah
10-01-09, 12:31 PM
I'd see it, it's just that the title is horrible compared to the original, This Side of the Truth.

Patman
10-03-09, 09:21 AM
A 45 minute screenplay idea stretched out far too long. Didn't hate it, but didn't love it either, it just got a bit tedious in the last 2/3 of the film.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Wolf359
10-03-09, 09:50 AM
I really enjoyed Ghost Town and I wanted to see this when I thought it was a silly romantic comedy. Now that I found out what it is really about, I pass.

RocShemp
10-03-09, 11:10 AM
I was even more intruiged when I found out what it's really about. I'm just sad to read so many reviews mentioning that it doesn't have enough bite, given the subject matter.

dhmac
10-03-09, 12:20 PM
I'd see it, it's just that the title is horrible compared to the original, This Side of the Truth.
I think The Invention of Lying is a better title than that. (That one's even tough to say! Try saying it 3x in a row to see what I mean.)

RyoHazuki
10-03-09, 04:16 PM
Saw it last night and thought it was a big let down. First and foremost, it's just not very funny. I kept expecting them to just cut Gervais loose but he never really gets a chance to shine. They kinda wanted to take the film in a dramatic route but they really didn't establish a firm enough ground to do that. I also disliked the blantant Pizza Hut product placement. I usually don't mind it that much but this came at a very pivitol point in the movie. Overall just very disappointing.

RocShemp
10-03-09, 06:30 PM
Saw it last night and thought it was a big let down. First and foremost, it's just not very funny. I kept expecting them to just cut Gervais loose but he never really gets a chance to shine. They kinda wanted to take the film in a dramatic route but they really didn't establish a firm enough ground to do that. I also disliked the blantant Pizza Hut product placement. I usually don't mind it that much but this came at a very pivitol point in the movie. Overall just very disappointing.

That's a shame. The concept has a lot of potential and Ricky Gervais seems perfectly cast as the lead.

Giles
10-04-09, 11:53 AM
funny, I thought the movie was very funny in a oh so subtle way, not like what current US comedic films do. [gross out moments, excessive dumb dialogue/expletives - 'In the Loop' was the best recent movie where the use or overuse of creative expletives was it's best aspect] I wasn't sure if I thought it was outright funny or just plain offensive when Tina Fey character called Rickey Gervais' character a 'fat faggot' - I got the sense that audiences didn't know how to respond to the 'comedy' which is based on a topic that ticks nearly everyone off, religion or the lack of it.

calhoun07
10-04-09, 02:33 PM

Man, that's the general consensus I've been getting around here from folks who have seen it too. Folks who usually go for Gervais' brand of humor as well.

I don't know...I thought this movie would be something worth checking out, but the more clips I see I don't think that the main point in the movie is that everybody tells the truth, it's that they don't have any filters in saying things that are blatantly rude. It's as if they are saying if people walked around telling the truth all the time, they would be assholes and inconsiderate all the time. I guess that's how it has to play in a "comedy" but I don't think that's how things would really be in a world where there was no lying.

And the other disappointing thing I am hearing is that the movie seems to have a chance to tackle some more tough subjects (IE, the invention of "Heaven") but devolves yet again into another rom-com. Gee, I already saw that with Click, a movie that actually had a decent premise but was, in the end, just another romantic/family comedy.

I wish Gervais would go back to doing what he does best: TELEVISION!

Crocker Jarmen
10-05-09, 02:36 AM
I really enjoyed the movie. I hadn't seen any of the ads for it, so I had great laughs at many of the jokes I imagine were in the trailer.

The movie is nothing earth shattering, just good entertainment. There were two main things that kept the movie from reaching that next level. 1- The over use of musical montages, and 2- I didn't find anything special about the girl he was in love with. Other than being beautiful, the character didn't come across as being special. In fact, she seemed vapid and unlikeable.

My greatest pleasure was the short scene reuniting two actors from Gervais series Extras. It was great seeing those two together again.

Daytripper
10-10-09, 11:08 AM
I didn't like this film at all. First, I thought it was poorly directed. The pacing was so off. But I also thought it was unpleasant experience. People speaking their mind and nothing they said was nice. Unless it was about themself. And poor Ricky Gervais. "You're a loser". "I'm not attracted to you". "She also thought you were an overweight homosexual" (referring to Tina Fey). To which she responds "Actually I said I thought he was a fat faggot". Ugh.

asianxcore
10-12-09, 02:23 AM
Saw the movie tonight with a couple friends. Definitely enjoyed the first half of the film, but not so much the last half.

I liked both Gervais and Garner in their roles.

Jon2
10-13-09, 03:17 AM
.... I also disliked the blantant Pizza Hut product placement. I usually don't mind it that much but this came at a very pivitol point in the movie...

All things considered, I think that, along with the Coke, Pepsi and cereal spots, were more than just your typical product placement. Coming from an ad background, I'm rather surprised the companies involved went along with it.

I found the movie to be rather humorous for the most part.

NoirFan
10-13-09, 08:30 AM
Gervais should really stick to television shows.

DVD Josh
10-13-09, 11:48 AM
I saw this last weekend. Meh, is about all I can say. This would have likely been a decent TV series though. As a movie, it doesn't work so well.

DRG
10-13-09, 12:22 PM
It had some good moments, but it also had plenty of issues. Every character was either pitiful or arrogant... weak or strong... surely even in a lie-free world you'd have some character shading. The premise also doesn't take into account insanity, misconceptions, and other 'accidental dishonesty'.

I agree that Ricky's love for Jennifer didn't really have much foundation, but this shows the biggest problem in this world: personality doesn't seem to exist... largely because humor and charm can't exist without some degree of lying. Neither can romance, really. So what is love based on? It's an interesting concept, and one I think the movie only touched upon.

Patman
10-13-09, 04:31 PM
Seems like prostitution would be very highly regarded in this world of no lying.

Ginwen
10-13-09, 04:40 PM
I enjoyed the movie. It wasn't great but it wasn't as terrible as most comedies (especially romantic comedies). As usual with movies like this, it undermined its message a bit, since through most of the movie the main appeal to the Jennifer Garner character was her looks, but I liked it alright anyway.

Supermallet
10-13-09, 05:09 PM
I enjoyed it as well, although it's not nearly as good as it could have been. Apparently Warner demanded some extensive cuts (including an opening with Karl Pilkington as a caveman), which might explain the uneven tone of the picture.

The problem is that there are actually three movies here. One is about a man who learns to lie in a world where lying doesn't exist. Another is about a man who invents religion and profits from it. And the final one is a generic romantic comedy. The first two are interesting, the last is not. And only the first one is actually funny. The scenes where Gervais explores the world of lying are brutally funny, and feature some fantastic celebrity cameos.

The religion portion could have been funny, except that Gervais goes nowhere with it. He just invents religion and there appear to be no consequences except that he becomes rich and famous. I imagine that this was the area where Warner demanded the most cutting. Also, I have a specific issue: Gervais invents religion when he lies to his dying mother about going to a heaven-like place when you die, instead of just disappearing into nothingness. He's then mobbed by people who want to know more until he finally comes up with a belief system that I suppose is intended to make people nicer to each other. But it's all predicated on a godlike "Man in the Sky." The problem I have is that God or gods are not a natural conclusion to draw from the concept of heaven. One does not follow the other. Where does Gervais' character get the idea for a man in the sky? Without a history of religion to give it to him, it just seems like he would have made up more details about heaven, not this whole religious system.

And then the romantic comedy portion is where the movie finally falls off the rails. As others have mentioned, Jennifer Garner's character, while quite good at acting completely oblivious to the harm she's causing, is unlikeable and vapid. The sequences where Gervais tries to win her over aren't terribly funny, and the resolution is never in doubt.

I would love to see Gervais' cut of the film, because it might be as biting and sharp-tongued as we normally expect from him. But in its current incarnation I'd say just wait for cable to catch it.

Matthew Chmiel
10-14-09, 04:08 PM
I saw this last night with my buddy and his wife. We were the only three in the theater.

I thought the film was good, but there was a lot of potential for this film to be great and it never really gets to that level for the reasonings Suprmallet mentioned.

I love it when anyone takes a swipe at religion, regardless if there's substance or not, but my real problem is there was no closure on that portion of the film. We see how Gervais' lie becomes "evolved" (the film's second-to-last scene), but we don't really see any sort of outcome that Gervais' lie had with the rest of the world. We see that everyone was bought into the "man in the sky," but we never see any impact. It's as if the joke was set-up, but was never finished either due to Gervais didn't know where to go with the storyline or if Warner demanded cuts that took out that punchline.

The romantic comedy portions were boring and despite Garner's preformance, there wasn't enough steam to keep those scenes going to the film's resolution.

I'd at least give the recommendation to catch a matinee or wait for Blu, but I'd second to see Gervais' cut.

DVD Josh
10-14-09, 04:28 PM
How is Gervais' cut supposed to be different?

Boba Fett
10-20-09, 02:56 PM
I have a theory regarding Gervais and his past two, less than impressive feature film roles.

Has anyone thought that a large part of Gervais' success comes from the contributions by Stephen Merchant? Merchant was the co-writer on both The Office and Extras, but has had no involvement that I know of on Gervais' film outings.

Having listened to nearly the entire run of their XFM radio shows and subsequent podcasts, Merchant is generally the more witty and humorous of the two. Gervais' contributions tend to be acting a bit like David Brent and insulting Karl Pilkington as much as possible.

I'm not saying Gervais is a hack by any means, but maybe more credit should be given to Merchant for the incredible success of The Office and Extras.

RyoHazuki
10-20-09, 03:27 PM
Ghost Town just had Gervais as the star. He didn't write or direct the film.

I did think though that Ghost Town was much better than the Invention of Lying. I think Ghost Town is kinda underrated in general.

RichC2
01-15-10, 09:51 AM
First half of this movie is great, it grinds to a halt in the second half.

Dr Mabuse
01-15-10, 02:55 PM
Yeah this film just didn't come together.

I did lol at several scenes, like when Gervais was explaining the 'rules' of the 'man in the sky' to the crowd. The simple fact is that's about as much depth and thought as there is in most of the Christian religion.

But the film failed overall.

bunkaroo
01-15-10, 03:40 PM
Well looks like I'll be waiting a bit longer to see this. This is one of the first new releases WB is holding back for a month from Netflix. Doesn't sound good enough to blind buy.

RavenTwo
01-16-10, 01:20 PM
First half of this movie is great, it grinds to a halt in the second half.

I have to agree, the second half lost it for me

SonOfAStu
02-01-10, 10:32 AM
This is one of the rare instances where I wish I would have read a movie thread BEFORE I wasted my time watching it. I laguhed at a few parts, but I felt like I was forcing it sometimes because I wanted it to be funny.

The simple fact is that's about as much depth and thought as there is in most of the Christian religion.

:lol: I'm as skeptical about religion as any, but that is just bullshit and you know it. The Christian religion is incredibly deep. There's a reason that some of the worlds finest minds dedicate their careers to studying it.

Nice juvenile swipe though.

Dr Mabuse
02-01-10, 10:37 AM
You didn't understand my point.

SonOfAStu
02-01-10, 03:57 PM
Possible. Care to elaborate?

Count Dooku
02-01-10, 08:38 PM
Two things that I thought were failings in the movie.

The first is that it doesn't exactly follow that in a world without lying that people would be compelled to bluntly announce every thought that pops into their heads.
It would have been better if the script had stuck to the rule that people always told the truth when they were asked something, but didn't reveal everything without prompting.

The failing other directly effects the fact that the romance aspect of the movie was hurt by Garner's unlikability.
Garner insists that in choosing a husband, she is driven to select the best genetic match for procreation.
If that is how every person in a world without lying thinks, then society would be a much different place. Gervais was willing to posit that world without lying would never develop Art or Theater, as we think of them.
But he wasn't willing to follow through on what society would be like if all people thought like Garner about marriage and procreation. There would be no concept of male/female love, romance, courtship, dating.
In fact, after a few millenia, would there be in tolerance at all for any sort of perceived weakness in an individual?