Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Green Zone (Greengrass, 2010): Matt Damon and Jason Isaacs

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-09, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Synopsis:
A thriller about a pair of CIA agents on the trail of certain Weapons of Mass Destruction and a foreign correspondent following their mission. Inspired by Imperial Life in the Emerald City.
CBS on-set footage
AICN test screening review
Now 2010, apparently.
IMDb
Old 07-05-09, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Green Zone (Greengrass, 2010): Matt Damon and Jason Isaacs

I really dug the book that this was based off, but from reading about the movie it sounds NOTHING like it at all.
Old 07-05-09, 11:06 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting....I'll keep an eye out for it.
Old 07-29-09, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Was supposed to be a Fall '09 release. Now it's March 12, 2010.
Old 07-29-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm really surprised this was pushed back, it seemed to be an Oscar contender.
Old 10-27-09, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the trailer is up on yahoo...I'll see the movie
Old 10-27-09, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Heh, I bet a lot of people will think it's Bourne when the preview starts... looks good, but a little more...I guess generic than I was expecting. I'm getting a little tired of the middle east thrillers, but I'll make an exception for this one.
Old 10-28-09, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The trailer to me looked like a cross between Bourne and Hurt Locker. I will see this....but not sure if its gonna be any good. Something about all these Iraq War movies that just never gels. They always feel empty and all seem to look exactly the same. Hurt Locker was the best i have seen so far from this genre.
Old 10-28-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

For a film that's been namedropped in Oscar talk, this trailer doesn't do anything at all to push in that direction. It comes off as Bourne in Baghdad, right down to the "you don't know what he's capable of" line. Looks like a generic political/military action flick like Body of Lies.

I really hope this flick is good, but whoever did the trailer should hang their head in shame.
Old 10-28-09, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks good, but I agree with BJacks in that it could go very generic very quickly.
Old 02-15-10, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts

The trailer for this is giving me a real Matt-Damon-has-jumped-the-shark vibe (although Invictus is partially to blame for that).

It also looks like the kind of movie script carefully crafted to score political points as well.
Old 02-15-10, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
The trailer for this is giving me a real Matt-Damon-has-jumped-the-shark vibe (although Invictus is partially to blame for that).

It also looks like the kind of movie script carefully crafted to score political points as well.
I don't get it, how has Damon jumped the shark by doing this movie? Or even "Invictus". He hasn't done a rom-com yet, has he? Anyway, I think this film looks great. And THANK GOD Greengrass has ditched the shakey cinematography!
Old 02-16-10, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was excited for this months ago just based on the Damon/Greengrass factor. However, after seeing the trailer for it last weekend, I'm not so enthusiastic. It definitely looks like a low-budget version of Bourne in Iraq. Even with a free ticket, I may pass on it. Just looks kinda blah.
Old 02-16-10, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Oscar buzz and potential big wins for The Hurt Locker might kill its street cred.
Old 02-16-10, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you guys forgetting that Paul Greengrass directed this? He's 4 for 4 in my book.
Old 02-16-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's usually not a good thing when a movie gets bumped to a March release, so that has me a little concerned this may be underwhelming. I hope that's not the case, but the trailer just did nothing for me. So as of now, my excitement is very low.

There are a few exceptions to delays, such as Zodiac.
Old 02-16-10, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I don't get it, how has Damon jumped the shark by doing this movie? Or even "Invictus". He hasn't done a rom-com yet, has he? Anyway, I think this film looks great. And THANK GOD Greengrass has ditched the shakey cinematography!
Based on the trailer (which admittedly is shaky logical grounds), this looks like yet another film in which Damon is playing pretty much the same basic character. He's very good at that character, but we are getting pretty close to overexposure territory here. This is especially true in that this does indeed look like a poor man's Bourne in Iraq as mentioned above.

Remember how sick everyone got of Kevin Costner for a while there? Damon may be heading in the same direction.
Old 02-17-10, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That trailer looks awful.

Maybe the marketing approach was to make it out to be so political, and 'telling the truth THEY don't want you to know about Iraq' or something and it doesn't represent the film, but that trailer has me in no hurry at all to see this.
Old 02-17-10, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
Remember how sick everyone got of Kevin Costner for a while there? Damon may be heading in the same direction.
I don't see how they're comparable...Costner made a couple of big critical and commercial duds in a row and never recovered...mostly because he continued to make bad films.

Damon just played two very different characters in The Informant and Invictus...they weren't box office hits but they weren't expected to be and they go solid reviews. I think it's fine if he wants to do an action flick (even if it's not called Bourne) every three yrs or so.
Old 02-17-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Look of a Bourne film + Damon + Greengrass = Me at the theater!
Old 03-10-10, 12:37 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

New Damon flick slanders America

After all of Hollywood's Iraq movies have flopped (even the Oscar-garlanded "The Hurt Locker" earned only $15 million at the box office), one studio thinks it has the following secret to success: The previous films didn't insult the United States enough.

"Green Zone," opening Friday, is a $100 million slime job that conjures up a fantastically distorted leftist version of the war and wraps it around a frantic but preposterous action picture. (Spoilers about the plot follow.)

Spoiler:
Matt Damon plays Miller, an Army "chief" (chief warrant officer) assigned to searching for weapons of mass destruction in Baghdad in the opening days of the war in 2003.

The preposterous part comes in almost immediately: After Chief Miller comes up dry a couple of times, he decides to launch a one-man internal-affairs investigation into US intelligence-gathering.

He bypasses his chain of command, endangers good men (when one of his soldiers asks why he's following a random Iraqi into what could well be an ambush, Miller snaps, "Put your game face on") and forges a secret alliance against his fellow soldiers with a Baghdad CIA officer (Brendan Gleeson).

Despite being guilty of gross insubordination, lying to his superiors and concealing important evidence from them (a notebook containing the addresses of Saddam's top officers), Miller is the hero of the film.

Others we're supposed to cheer for include Sunni officers who shoot down helicopters carrying American soldiers sent to assassinate them. Those death squads are acting at the behest of a duplicitous Pentagon intelligence mandarin (Greg Kinnear) who has single-handedly drummed up a fake casus belli.

Before the war, he interviewed a general of Saddam's who told him pointedly that there were no WMDs in Iraq after 1991 but that he'd be willing to work with the Americans after Saddam was deposed. The Kinnear figure then lied to a gullible reporter (Amy Ryan) that he had a rock-solid source, "Magellan," who had given him proof of WMDs in Iraq.

Such is this movie's eagerness to turn reality upside down that, although the Ryan character is obviously based on Judith Miller of The New York Times, the reporter is said to work for the Wall Street Journal. In full-on liberal daydream mode, Damon and his friends can pretend their favorite lefty paper is untainted by flawed reporting.

To cover his tracks from Chief Miller, the Pentagon official sends out a goon squad to assassinate the Sunni general -- who, according to the movie, is also the sole figure responsible for whether Iraq will erupt into an insurgency.

Even for Hollywood, "Green Zone" is dumbfoundingly brazen in its effort to rewrite the facts. As any reasonably informed person knows, many intelligence services (including the French, German, Chinese, Russian and British) believed Iraq had WMDs. And the CIA (which along with Chief Miller is a hero of "Green Zone") was among them. Plus, such intel reports predated the Bush administration -- and Saddam's refusal to allow the UN weapons inspectors to finish their work gave us every reason to think he was hiding something and sealed his fate.

It's one thing to make a fantasy film laced with snarky jibes at the United States and its military. It's of another order entirely for an American studio (Universal, a unit of GE) to perpetrate, during an ongoing war, such vicious anti-American lies disguised as cheap entertainment.

"Green Zone" tells US troops that all of their efforts have been based on a deliberate deception. Worse, it blames the insurgency that has killed so many of our fighting men and women on US treachery.

Movies like "In the Valley of Elah," "Rendition" and "Redacted" have shown US forces doing nasty things -- but none went anywhere near as far as this picture in suggesting original sin corrupted the entire Iraq war and that American officials are more blameworthy than the insurgents for the most violent years.

"Green Zone" isn't cinema. It's slander. It will go down in history as one of the most egregiously anti-American movies ever released by a major studio.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...iBqZyEfmFpP4yO
Old 03-10-10, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As far as I know, The Green Zone is intended to be fiction, so who the fuck cares what this asshole from the NYPost thinks? The fact that he automatically lumps it in with "Rendition" and "In the Valley of Elah," which were also unfairly attacked for their views on the war, makes me think this kid is just writing what his bosses told him to write, which would be bullshit propaganda.
Old 03-10-10, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Green Zone" isn't cinema. It's slander.
I don't have much interest in this film, but that's just a really stupid statement. "The Triumph of the Will" is cinema. "Jud Süß" is cinema. "The Birth of a Nation" is cinema. "The Green Zone" most certainly is cinema.

Last edited by Sondheim; 03-10-10 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-10-10, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Green Zone is odd. It's definitely well-made, with breathtaking production design and wonderful cinematography. It's just that the story's a bit flat, really. While grittier and more palpable than something like Body Of Lies, it does the same thing again of not really doing anything new or interesting. None of the characters are particularly deep or compelling, and for all the detail in the way they're outfitted, they may as well be wearing black or white hats. Everything and everyone is much simpler than they look and sometimes downright stupid. Damon's Roy Miller is a soldier understandably miffed that the intelligence reports that tell him where to find WMDs aren't accurate. At this point, everyone in the audience knows that the information isn't just inaccurate, it's false. It takes one and a half hours for anyone in the film to figure this out. Miller also seems very trusting of strangers and seems willing to go along with the whims of others very easily.

The film hints at bigger themes and intricacies, at one point almost turning into a compelling spy story with factions within the same government playing against each other for different ends, but then it just devolves into the same bang-zoom-ratatat you've seen before. Throw in stock characters from other movies, from the political slimeball who really knows what's going on to the soldier who likes to follow orders 'cause it means he gets to shoot and hit people, and you have yourself Green Zone. Kinda like The Hurt Locker, but with a budget instead of suspense.
Old 03-12-10, 08:39 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Ebert sure liked it -- 4 stars.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.