Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Do you have a 4th of July movie tradition?

HistoryProf
07-04-09, 10:13 PM
Got home after the day of bbqing and whatnot, and wanted to watch something historical - since I picked up the Glory blu ray from Border's yesterday (50% off!) I figured that was a good choice, but once again had to bemoan the lack of decent Revolution films. I think John Adams may be a good choice in the future...but that's rather long to watch in one sitting. The Patriot is pure silliness....Drums Along the Mohawk is a great film, but not particularly accurate....The Devil's Disciple STILL isn't on DVD....1776 is, well, a freaking musical...and Pacino's Revolution was just plain bad.

So....Anyone a particular film they like to revisit each 4th that honors the founding of this country?

Subquestion: Why aren't their any good movies about our founding?

Dean Kousoulas
07-05-09, 12:51 AM
Now that you mention it...July 4th is one of the few major holidays where I don't watch a movie dedicated to the history of the day.

DeltaSigChi4
07-05-09, 12:57 AM
Oliver Stone's Born on the Fourth of July.

You should watch no other.

E

OldBoy
07-05-09, 01:08 AM
saw "Armageddon" last night into this morning and thought it was perfect!!! was gonna watch "Independence Day" as well, but this one was all i needed to root for the American way!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/scott1598/armageddon_2.jpg

RagingBull80
07-05-09, 01:12 AM
Jaws is a good one to watch around this time.

dom56
07-05-09, 01:14 AM
If you what to see another good American Revolution on dvd, you should check out The Crossing starring Jeff Daniel as George Washington

Mopower
07-05-09, 01:21 AM
I let my girlfriend pick out 3 movies to watch today. She got....The House Bunny, New in Town and Bride Wars. I've had to watch the Deadliest Catch marathon on Discovery the past 7 hours to get my manliness back.

hasslein
07-05-09, 02:27 AM
I haven't seen the recently released Revolution Revisited. Is it an improvement?

JasonF
07-05-09, 02:47 AM
1776 is, well, a freaking musical

And what's wrong with that? I'm watching it right now. It's a great movie.

I'd love to see an HBO-style series about the American Revolution, although I suspect HBO would consider it to be a retread of ground covered in their John Adams series.

nemein
07-05-09, 07:41 AM
Yep, 1776 is about my only tradition for the 4th. Don't always watch it, and I didn't get around to it yesterday but maybe I will today.

nemein
07-05-09, 07:45 AM

I don't know about movies but there are a lot of great documentaries. I especially recommend Founding Fathers: The Men who Shaped Our Nation. Come to think of it though there is also a dramatization/documentary on John Adams starring Paul Giamatti that came out about a year ago.

Superboy
07-05-09, 09:21 AM
My parents and I would usually go see a horrible movie every holiday. After Alien Resurrection we stopped.

lordwow
07-05-09, 09:36 AM
We watched Top Gun and then some of Band of Brothers

jjcool
07-05-09, 02:27 PM
Not about the Americna Revolution, but fitting for the date is Gettysburg.

GoldenJCJ
07-05-09, 02:42 PM
Independence Day is usually my choice for fun movie to watch on the 4th.

If I'm in the mood for something historical I usually just park the TV on The History Channel, they're pretty good at having documentaries and specials throughout the day that follow the holiday theme.

Matthew Chmiel
07-05-09, 02:52 PM
1776 is, well, a freaking musical
I'm sorry your masculinity will prevent you from watching a movie.

I actually like 1776 even if Mr. Feeny does play John Adams. It's a solid movie that may be tedious at times, but it's a good musical that I've also had the pleasure of seeing live too.

Spottedfeather
07-05-09, 04:44 PM
I've taken to watching things that involve fireworks like Mulan (great fireworks scene), documentaries about the revolution, and other things like that.

islandclaws
07-05-09, 04:51 PM
I was going to make watching Uncle Sam a yearly tradition... but after the first viewing I decided that once a year may be too often.

Mondo Kane
07-05-09, 05:00 PM
I don't appear to have a movie tradition, but (As far as being a movie-fan goes) July 4th, 1995 was a pivotal date for me.
It was the first time I ever saw both Once Upon A Time In The West (On AMC) and Hard-Boiled (On Starz!) Those movies gave me all the fireworks I could have ever wanted.

JumpCutz
07-05-09, 05:51 PM
Oliver Stone's Born on the Fourth of July.

You should watch no other.

E

:up: One of Stone's truly great movies. (along with JFK, Nixon, Platoon, Salvador, Talk Radio :D)

MLBFan24
07-05-09, 06:13 PM
Independence Day of course..haha

superdeluxe
07-05-09, 10:28 PM
I watch the History Channel's the Revolution in the morning, then in the afternoon go out to the lake for BBQ and fireworks.

Kmical
07-06-09, 03:30 PM
Jaws is a good one to watch around this time.

:up:

Nick Martin
07-06-09, 03:43 PM
I have an odd one (not because I'm Canadian, but because it's just odd):

Since INDEPENDENCE DAY takes place over three days - July 2, 3 and 4th, I watch that corresponding segment of the film on the evening of that day every year. Kind of like a three-part miniseries.

This year was the first I was able to do that with Blu-ray which was nice.

rexinnih
07-06-09, 04:09 PM
Id4

writer106
07-07-09, 12:36 AM
When I was younger my family used to have Star Wars or Back to the Future marathons but for the past couple of years we usually get together and play video games or play games outside.

HistoryProf
07-07-09, 12:45 AM
I'm sorry your masculinity will prevent you from watching a movie.

I actually like 1776 even if Mr. Feeny does play John Adams. It's a solid movie that may be tedious at times, but it's a good musical that I've also had the pleasure of seeing live too.

i'm sorry your femininity makes you like watching people sing in movies.

i just don't like musicals...never have, never will. not my cup o tea. yet i love watching men pontificate in wigs and tights. go figure. :shrug:

davidh777
07-08-09, 03:29 AM
1776 and The Music Man