Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HELP: Can I upgrade to 5.1 w/o completely new receiver?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HELP: Can I upgrade to 5.1 w/o completely new receiver?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-00, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi. I have a very good pioneer receiver which I paid a lot for in the early 90's that is surround sound capable. I would like to add a component that will upgrade it to 5.1 without having to replace the receiver. All the 5.1 receivers I see are 'complete' receivers which I don't want. Is there a product just to "decode"(for lack of a better word) 5.1 that I can add as a separate component to my current receiver? Any help is appreciated as I have been unsuccessful thus far and do not want to scrap my current system which is outstanding, if not a bit older.
Old 05-26-00, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have inputs for 5.1 channels on the back (6 inputs, Right, Left, Center, Rear Right, Rear Left, LFE), then you can buy an external decoder. But, if it is just Pro-Logic and has no inputs, you're SOL.
Old 05-26-00, 03:40 PM

Well,

I suppose you could jury-rig something...but it would probably cost at least $300.

Seeing as how new $300 receivers have 5.1, much simpler, and you get a brand-new warranty...it would make MUCH more sense to just replace the receiver.
Old 05-26-00, 09:17 PM
Cool New Member

shacke,

There is a company called Vantas that manufactures a Dolby Digital 5.1 component add-on for Stereo and Pro-Logic systems. It contains a Dolby Digital processor as well as a high-quality three channel amplifier for center, left surround and right surround (you send the front left and right audio information directly to your current receiver via pre-outs). This was specifically made for people who have invested a lot of money on their "high-end" non-5.1 receivers and don't want to trash a perfectly good receiver to get DD. Their unit has gotten rave reviews from many audio/video magazines including Home Theater. This is a high-end performer (much better quality in all aspects to the $300 receivers currently available) which will compliment and not drag down your current high quality gear. So contrary to shaun3000, you are definitely not "**** Out of Luck". For more info go to http://www.vantas.com.

I also remember reading somewhere about another company that can modify receivers to include 5.1 inputs. I can't think of the name at this moment but I will post it when I find out what the company name is.
Old 05-26-00, 10:06 PM
BEC

It would help if you listed the model of your receiver or at least described it in more detail than "surround sound capable". It's a little unclear if your receiver is DD 5.1 ready (i.e., 6channel inputs, probably not though) or has ANY pre-outs or pre-ins.
Old 05-27-00, 02:01 AM
AW

Try http://www.msbtech.com for upgrade information. Also, I believe that Yamaha used to manufacture a unit called the DSP-E492 that was a stereo receiver to 5.1 adapter unit -- you may be able to find one around.
Old 05-27-00, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the responses. Just to update my info, the receiver is a pioneer VSX 9900. Will check out your info - thanks, really, to all who cared to respond!

Old 05-27-00, 03:44 PM

I am not sure if it is already 5.1 ready. I bought it in 1990 but it has hookups for center, 2 front, 2 rear speakers as well as additional preamp connections for 2 rear, 2 front, center and subwoofer which sounds like it's ready to me(no expert) although I didn't think 5.1 was even available back then (and the manual only mentions its pro-logic and dolby 3 channel capability). If it is indeed 5.1 ready, then maybe I can get away with a 5.1 "ready" decoder as they seem to be more plentiful? Any expert opinions are again graciously welcomed! Special thanks to 3U36 as I checked out the vantas site.
Old 05-28-00, 04:54 AM
Cool New Member

shacke,

The preamp outputs you have on the back of your receiver sends signals "out" from your receiver to be connected to external amplifiers. "5.1 ready" receivers take signals "in" from an external processor. Does this make sense? One sends audio out, the other takes audio in. I didn't check if msbtech has your receiver as one of the few upgradable receivers on their list because that would be the best investment due to its capability to take in any 5.1 format (DD, DTS, DVD-Audio). But that would still require you to pay for a decoder/processor on top of the upgrade cost. Your best bet for the easiest 5.1 sound upgrade would be something like the Vantas unit. Hope everything works out for you and I'm happy to offer my help.