Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : I'm in Public Enemies!

movielib
07-01-09, 06:29 PM
Fourteen months ago, I was filmed as an extra in a scene for Public Enemies. I made the cut!

It's the scene of the Senate hearing. I am the senator (Sen. O'Mahoney - just the part for a Jewish guy with a big nose) just to the right (as you're looking at the screen) of the senator with the speaking part who is played by Ed Bruce who was the Sheriff in the remake Bret Maverick TV movie and series in 1981-1982. The only other speaking part in the scene is J. Edgar Hoover, played by Billy Crudup.

When we first sat down, I was going to be Sen. Harry Truman and was seated two places to the left of Ed Bruce. Michael Mann switched some of us and placed me in the better position.

I had to shave my beard, get a goofy 1930s haircut and Michael Mann told me to take off the period glasses they had given me. I was directed by Michael Mann!

Please refer all future requests for my acting services to my agent. ;)

DeltaSigChi4
07-01-09, 06:30 PM
Can I have your autograph?

E

Giantrobo
07-01-09, 06:32 PM
Awesome man! I'm guessing you kept your,"Global Warming is a Lie and Al Gore is a Fatty!" rants to yourself since you didn't get tossed off the set and you made the cut.. :p

movielib
07-01-09, 06:33 PM
Awesome man! I'm guessing you kept your,"Global Warming is a Lie and Al Gore is a Fatty!" rants to yourself since you didn't get tossed off the set and you made the cut.. :p
:lol:

Yes, I behaved.

Arthur Dent
07-01-09, 06:37 PM
Is this your first appearance as an extra?

movielib
07-01-09, 06:39 PM
Is this your first appearance as an extra?
Yes. Like many scenes in the movie, it was filmed in Wisconsin. This scene was filmed in a hearing room in the Wisconsin State Capitol.

movielib
07-01-09, 06:42 PM
Can I have your autograph?

E
Sure but it will have to be one of those mechanical reproductions. Demand is just too high.

Arthur Dent
07-01-09, 06:43 PM
Yes. Like many scenes in the movie, it was filmed in Wisconsin. This scene was filmed in a hearing room in the Wisconsin State Capitol.
Was it a fun experience?

Matthew Ackerly
07-01-09, 06:47 PM
That's awesome, man!

So, how was Michael Mann on the set, doing what he does best?!

movielib
07-01-09, 06:52 PM
Was it a fun experience?
It was fun but kind of exhausting. It was a 15 hour day with most of it waiting around. Still, we were in that room for several sessions for a total of at least 3-4 hours. There must have been at least 50 takes for a one minute scene. Mann is a perfectionist and very detail oriented. At one time we thought we were done with the scene and Mann called us back in at about 2:00am for one more session. Everyone who was there, for that scene or a couple of others, had to stay the entire time in case they were needed again. One of the most difficult things was that there was a ton of smoking going on which wasn't very pleasant for this nonsmoker. But smoking was obviously rampant in the '30s and everywhere, even at a Senate hearing so Mann wanted that. One guy got sick constantly smoking a pipe.

movielib
07-01-09, 06:53 PM
That's awesome, man!

So, how was Michael Mann on the set, doing what he does best?!
He was the dictator but very benevolent. Always polite, never raised his voice, but got exactly what he wanted at all times. Really good guy.

Arthur Dent
07-01-09, 06:57 PM
It was fun but kind of exhausting. It was a 15 hour day with most of it waiting around. Still, we were in that room for several sessions for a total of at least 3-4 hours. There must have been at least 50 takes for a one minute scene. Mann is a perfectionist and very detail oriented. At one time we thought we were done with the scene and Mann called us back in at about 2:00am for one more session. Everyone who was there, for that scene or a couple of others, had to stay the entire time in case they were needed again. One of the most difficult things was that there was a ton of smoking going on which wasn't very pleasant for this nonsmoker. But smoking was obviously rampant in the '30s and everywhere, even at a Senate hearing so Mann wanted that. One guy got sick constantly smoking a pipe.
Cool. Thanks for sharing. :)

Blu Man
07-01-09, 07:46 PM
You should have told Mann to get better cameras.

movielib
07-01-09, 08:10 PM
:lol: I agree.

Solid Snake
07-01-09, 08:35 PM

:clap:

Supermallet
07-01-09, 08:58 PM

:up: :up:

Blu Man
07-01-09, 09:03 PM

:lol: I agree.

:clap:

:up: :up:

If your gonna shoot digital you should at least go with Red............

GoldenJCJ
07-01-09, 10:12 PM
That's awesome! The fact that you actually made it into the movie is pretty freakin' sweet, but even if you hadn't made the final cut just having a front row seat to see the filming of a major motion picture (even if it was just one scene) is cool in and of itself.

Rypro 525
07-01-09, 10:22 PM
at least you weren't directed by Kubrick who was known for doing hundreds of takes

Solid Snake
07-01-09, 10:30 PM
I'd hate to be an extra in a Kubrick film. Though I'd love to see him film a film. RIP Mr. Kubrick

Superboy
07-01-09, 11:26 PM
My friend was in Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift. You couldn't believe how different the experience sounded. The director wanted a more natural feel to a "ricer" meet so he had a basic outline of where the camera, lighting, and equipment was going to go, and let people just hold a "car meet". It went horribly, and it took hours to set up the scene. When everything got finalized he only bothered with a few takes.

Superboy
07-01-09, 11:36 PM
I'd hate to be an extra in a Kubrick film. Though I'd love to see him film a film. RIP Mr. Kubrick

His shots were always so sparse, there were hardly any extras.

jdslater1
07-01-09, 11:47 PM
So, how does the payment for that workout? Do you get extra as time goes on?

movielib
07-01-09, 11:59 PM
So, how does the payment for that workout? Do you get extra as time goes on?
IIRC, it was about $8.00/hr. Straight time for eight hours and then time and a half. They also fed us. I also got paid for a little time going in a few days before filming for wardrobe fitting and getting a haircut. All in all, less than $200 and I would have done it for free.

movielib
07-02-09, 12:06 AM
Oh yeah, one other thing. The period shoes they gave me (which, of course, were never on screen, being behind that big table) were a little too big. They bit into my ankles whenever I walked. They got pretty sore. Still, I wouldn't have passed this up for anything and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

jdslater1
07-02-09, 12:07 AM
IIRC, it was about $8.00/hr. Straight time for eight hours and then time and a half. They also fed us. I also got paid for a little time going in a few days before filming for wardrobe fitting and getting a haircut. All in all, less than $200 and I would have done it for free.

Not bad, do you get anything monthly like residues?
Put it this way, you can sign your own BD!

Matthew Chmiel
07-02-09, 12:26 AM
Only members of SAG get residues (i.e. you need a speaking part or SAG won't credit it).

movielib
07-02-09, 12:30 AM
I think you mean residuals.

No, could you imagine the accounting and administrative nightmare if the extras casting companies had to pay every extra residuals? Besides, how would one cash a check valued in mills? ;)

rexinnih
07-02-09, 07:36 AM
Congrats. I'll be on the lookout for you when I see it.

Nick Danger
07-02-09, 08:23 AM
It sounds very smooth.

A friend of mine played a coolie in 3:10 to Yuma. The guy who wrangles the extras told him to run in one scene. The DP would scream, "Who's running in my shot!?" Then they'd do another take, and the same thing would happen again.

You can see him running across the screen in one of the wide shots.

Groucho
07-02-09, 08:25 AM
I saw this last night. When you appeared on screen, somebody shouted "Holy Shit, it's movielib!" and everybody burst into applause.

movielib
07-02-09, 09:44 AM
I saw this last night. When you appeared on screen, somebody shouted "Holy Shit, it's movielib!"
Yes, I've been going to every theater in America and doing that.

BJacks
07-02-09, 09:54 AM
One of the most difficult things was that there was a ton of smoking going on which wasn't very pleasant for this nonsmoker. But smoking was obviously rampant in the '30s and everywhere, even at a Senate hearing so Mann wanted that. One guy got sick constantly smoking a pipe.I'm surprised they were using real tobacco. Hollywood usually relies on herbal cigarettes.

Maxflier
07-02-09, 09:59 AM
A friend of mine played a coolie in 3:10 to Yuma. The guy who wrangles the extras told him to run in one scene. The DP would scream, "Who's running in my shot!?" Then they'd do another take, and the same thing would happen again.

You can see him running across the screen in one of the wide shots.

Did Christian Bale tear him a new asshole?

slop101
07-02-09, 10:17 AM
That's nuthin' - I was in Fletch, and way more people have seen that, so I win! USA! USA! USA!!!

Groucho
07-02-09, 10:21 AM
In the movie Fletch, or in Chevy Chase? Because I've been in Chevy Chase many times. Oh yeah.

It's my favorite part of Maryland.

nateman
07-02-09, 10:36 AM
Awesome movielib :up:

Mabuse
07-02-09, 11:38 AM
That's nuthin' - I was in Fletch, and way more people have seen that, so I win! USA! USA! USA!!!
Details please. That's my favorite movie. Are you Fred "the dorf" Dorfman?

movielib
07-02-09, 12:07 PM
I'm surprised they were using real tobacco. Hollywood usually relies on herbal cigarettes.
It was real all right. I could smell it. And they were filterless for authenticity.

I suspect he doesn't give a shit about that PC stuff when he's making a movie.

But Mann didn't try to get anyone who didn't want to smoke to do so.

The funny thing about the pipe smoker who got sick: he suggested the pipe himself and practically begged to be able to do it. They dug up a pipe from somewhere for him.

slop101
07-02-09, 12:45 PM
In the movie Fletch, or in Chevy Chase? Because I've been in Chevy Chase many times. Oh yeah.

It's my favorite part of Maryland.I hope you stretched before you strained yourself on that pun.

Details please. That's my favorite movie. Are you Fred "the dorf" Dorfman?I was less than an extra (I was only 14 at the time). I just happened to be in LAX waiting for a flight while they were shooting, and they had me walk in front of the camera and I made the cut.

Dr Mabuse
07-02-09, 01:40 PM
Cool stuff ML.

Breakfast with Girls
07-02-09, 07:55 PM
I hope you stretched before you strained yourself on that pun.:lol:

joefrog91
07-04-09, 09:29 PM
Good for you man. I've been an extra in three movies, but not that prominent of a part. I wish I would have read this thread before seeing the movie. I would have been looking for you.

Supermallet
07-05-09, 04:46 AM
Movielib, I can safely say, without embellishment or exaggeration, that seeing you was the best part of Public Enemies.

Superboy
07-05-09, 10:24 AM
Movielib, I can safely say, without embellishment or exaggeration, that seeing you was the best part of Public Enemies.

I thought I was going to disagree with your review, but it was actually spot on. And so was this comment. When I told my girlfriend that one of the reasons I wanted to see this movie aside from Michael Mann and period pieces was that some anonymous person on a dvd forum is an extra in a scene, she just rolled her eyes at me and refused to talk to me until the end of the evening.